Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caught offguard by TERA online.

EpicentEpicent Member UncommonPosts: 648

I recently discovered that beta was available to any preorderers. So I obviously preorder. Now, I had kept up with TERA years ago and I thought the game looked great, but with GW2 right around the corner my desire to play waned heavily. With that being said I was pleasantly shocked by the quality of this game. The battle system feels like something out of Fable or other similar acton game. I recently learned the details of the political system and am quite astonished. Going from SWTOR to this is a refreshing change. Also the game world seems to be huge. Nearly as huge as Azeroth was at launch. Not quite there but still very very big.

All that being said, I must confess I still don't know all there is to know about the game. I have looked on sites but I would rather get my info here as the forums here are usually pretty reliable as far as info goes. So, if anyone has any specifics on how pvp will work in this game, how end game pve is, crafting, anything really. I want to know all there is to know about this enthrallingly fimiliar yet suprisingly different game. I was done with the trinity system till I seen it applied the way it is in this game. Please more info. :)

Comments

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

no ones really sure how the pvp will work yet. next beta test in 2 weeks will have a pvp server so we should find out a lot more then.

I've got the straight edge.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Tera looks promising by this video alone hehe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZwcyJY9eEw

Open world pvp can be harsh though [mod edit[]

• Eighteen16Eighteen16 Member UncommonPosts: 146

Tera is an amazing game that has been extremely overshadowed in media by GW2 and on the forums by trolls. Even if you don't PVP, the action combat is very refreshing from all the Wow clones we went through over the years. The world is huge and beautiful with very high end graphics. Fighting BAMs in the open world on your own is a lot like fighting bosses in Witcher 2 on hard mode, one mistake and you can end up dead. This game also is the opposite of GW2 in terms of being casual, you actually have to put in a lot of work to get the best gear with best enchants. There are many more beta tests coming up and everyone should give this game a try.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

Well i played it maybe not more than 6h but every single hour was more fun than the dull wow in space copy SWTOR.

• elyssariaelyssaria Member UncommonPosts: 45

I tried the beta this weekend.... I should say that I only played 2.5 hour then I got enough of it.

I can't exactly put to words why I didn't like it but I will try:

1.) The graphics was just a pain.. it was like it was waterpainted backgrounds (the ones in the distance), the graphics was dull and not sharp on my system Asus 27" 120hz monitor at 1920x1080 and GTX570. To the defence people mentioned several times in the chat that the HD textures was not ingame yet but would be in the next beta.

2.) The combat system was not revolutionary by any means.. I played a sorcerer and therefor I didn't have any block ability either. I simply ran to find a target then I had to stand still to cast the spell så simply putting the crosshair on the mob and fire off. Would have been so much more fun if I could move/run while casting the spells since that would make it more of a challenge.

3.) The character development was booooring. Yay I lvled up and I went to my trainer and I get to train the skils that lvl allowed me to and that's it. I saw no skill trees whatsover, no personal customizations and to me it feels like my sorcerer will be exactly the same as everyone elses sorcerer beside the gear ofc. Maybe this changes later but from the 2,5 hours I played it surely didn't.

4.) The quests was of the old boring kind, kill x of these or go speak to x. No voiceovers except from some cutscenes. So the quests was very unpersonal and lacking a good storyline.

5.) My overall feeling was that this game felt like some old MMO with just some upgrades in graphics and instead of the tab targeting it was a simple crosshair targeting. So my lust for playing this game has decreased instead of increased which I hoped the beta would do to me.

/Ely

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Otomox

Well i played it maybe not more than 6h but every single hour was more fun than the dull wow in space copy SWTOR.

Agreed, it is a far better game IMO.

Both use the same quest system, but having a fun combat system makes them far more enjoyable the simply introducing them with a cut scene.

Originally posted by elyssaria

I tried the beta this weekend.... I should say that I only played 2.5 hour then I got enough of it.

1.) The graphics was just a pain.. it was like it was waterpainted backgrounds (the ones in the distance), the graphics was dull and not sharp on my system Asus 27" 120hz monitor at 1920x1080 and GTX570. To the defence people mentioned several times in the chat that the HD textures was not ingame yet but would be in the next beta.

2.) The combat system was not revolutionary by any means.. I played a sorcerer and therefor I didn't have any block ability either. I simply ran to find a target then I had to stand still to cast the spell så simply putting the crosshair on the mob and fire off. Would have been so much more fun if I could move/run while casting the spells since that would make it more of a challenge.

3.) The character development was booooring. Yay I lvled up and I went to my trainer and I get to train the skils that lvl allowed me to and that's it. I saw no skill trees whatsover, no personal customizations and to me it feels like my sorcerer will be exactly the same as everyone elses sorcerer beside the gear ofc. Maybe this changes later but from the 2,5 hours I played it surely didn't.

4.) The quests was of the old boring kind, kill x of these or go speak to x. No voiceovers except from some cutscenes. So the quests was very unpersonal and lacking a good storyline.

5.) My overall feeling was that this game felt like some old MMO with just some upgrades in graphics and instead of the tab targeting it was a simple crosshair targeting. So my lust for playing this game has decreased instead of increased which I hoped the beta would do to me.

/Ely

What we are hoping for is that the PvP is good... I would say less skills, and no skill trees are good.. The more streamlined the classes are the better the PvP is. You might find this strange but for me personaly less custimazation is a good thing..

I gussing that "stop and cast" mechanic also has something do do with the PvP aspect of the game.. If you could run around and shoot... Ranged charecters would have a clear advantage over Melee etc.. Evrything is there for a reason you know...

Alos levling is only there for you to get through.. I could stand in one space all day hacking mobs to level.. as long as the endgame is about ROLF.. stomping others and play political games against other Guilds.. We all play games for diffrent reasons.. I dont play MMOS for the levleing.. or the story .. I play it to creat something in the game. Call it a lasting legacy, call it FAME/Infamy. The most fun Iv had in MMOS is playing against other humans. Both back in my days in linage2 and in EvE online...

Originally posted by Zlayer77

Open world pvp can be harsh though [mod edit]

luckily enough they are smart enough to offer alternate rules set servers so that the carebears can get what they want. :)

Seperating the gankfest PvP from the optional PvP is a good move... seeing as the gankfest PvPers tend to destroy their own game.

Originally posted by Vesavius

Open world pvp can be harsh though [mod edit]

luckily enough they are smart enough to offer alternate rules set servers so that the carebears can get what they want. :)

Seperating the gankfest PvP from the optional PvP is a good move... seeing as the gankfest PvPers tend to destroy their own game.

Hehe this is true.. I kinda like a challenge you know. So dont mind being thrown in with the rest of the WOLFs...

But nothing beats getting hold of a little carebear, that has gotten lost.. Its just way to EPIC.. when the Tears start flowing..

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Both use the same quest system, but having a fun combat system makes them far more enjoyable the simply introducing them with a cut scene.

and a more colorful and crisp environment gives joy :D

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I am a big GW2 fan,so much so that i have been to gamescom two yers running just so i could play the game.That said,i actually like tera and enjoy the combat system very much.GW2 offers more but take nothing away from tera,it's a very good and well made MMO.

People have to remember that once you go past level 22 things get alot harder and BAM come into play a lot.My onlt problem is the armour styles,i don't really like them but i can live with it.The game puts swtor to shame when it comes to client and stableness and graphics.

I was bored playing swtor within the first 10 levels but tera had me levelling three toons to 22 and bring a mystic to level 8,i played all weekend staying up till 4.30 am on friday and saturday.

Thing is, Tera it comes out in may and i have a strong feeling that GW2 wont be far behind.Out of the two i choose GW2 but i have mini pre-order just so i can partake in the tera beta until release.

Who needs 200 million to make a decent mmo...

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I enjoyed the weekend beta of TERA. I got one toon to 12 and the other to 19. By the late teens, the AI of your opponents starts to require a little more skill, though the system is still pretty forgiving of mistakes. I'm going to guess that things continue to get more challenging as you advance, so that you can learn the system and adapt to new strategies and skills over time.

The game world seems pretty huge. It's also a little sparse. I'm not sure how I feel about the balance of the two in the game, though I was disappointed that there aren't many cool Points of Interest worth exploring for, nor anything else I've found so far to otherwise reward exploration. Huge shame considering how big the environments are.

Even though I had fun right to the end of CB1, (well, I did quit with an hour left, so I must have hit some sort of saturation level), I can see the flaws pretty clearly that will probably limit the amount of time I would be willing to subscribe to this game. However, I know that there will be a fair number of people who will probably eat this game up, those who actually like things I personally don't care for.

I'm not going to list the pros and cons at this point. I will say the game, for me, looks great. Combat is actually interesting, once you get to the upper teens, but I am also very annoyed that instant skills require you to stand still. This alone might tip the balance for me away from a purchase, but I'm still open to the game and plan to keep participating in beta events to get a better idea of things. In general, the negatives all stem back to the fact that other than one or two things, the game falls right back into the established MMORPG design status quo.

Actually, I guess it's more a hybrid between standard Western MMORPG fare and standard Eastern MMORPG fare. This might inject some freshness for people who normally just play one style or the other, but it's still recycled, stale game design in a number of areas. They actually do pretty good in the execution of the game design though, which is why I hesitate to write it off with out giving it more time to grow on me.

I will say that I enjoyed the first weekend a lot more than I enjoyed the first weekend of SWTOR. Even though the game has huge environments and definitely makes use of time sinks, it didn't seem any where near as obvious as it did in SWTOR. TERA flows pretty well, time sinks and all, where SWTOR game design always seemed like wasting my time was the primary goal.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• KumaponKumapon Member EpicPosts: 1,563

Good to hear that another person likes TERA. I have played K-TERA extensively and I get invited to BHS events to do their in house testing.

I wrote about what the PVP will be like for NA in this thread.

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/477/view/forums/thread/339617/What-do-you-think-of-the-PVP-changes-.html

What I do know is that on the PVP servers, you will be able to get the outlaw quest at lvl 11, instead of end game on the Korean server, so NA players on a PVP server can PVP from lvl 11 if they can finish the quest. EME is still up in the air when it comes to the de-buffs. Myself and others have told them that NA would probably not like it very much. But there hasn't been much info coming from them. I guess we will have to wait and see during CB2 to see what changes there are. Also there will be 2 BG's to do as well. I hear EME is revamping them so players can do them much earlier, than on the Korean servers. PVP is simple, you win you get 3 pvp tokens, you lose you get 1 pvp token. You use tokens to buy pvp gear, pvp consumables and pvp crystals, plus you can buy a cool mount.

As for PVE, they are gonna add Dynamic contents called Black crevices, these guys are just like Rifts from Rift. Same concept and monster invasions. The NA client should have 11 5 man instance endgame dungeons and over 30 world bosses (BAMS)to fight over. BHS is currently working on a 20 man raid, but I don't know if it will make NA retail. TERA also has their daily rep grind quests for gear as well.

Crafting is like Aions, you can get a HQ or it can blow up in your face, pretty much the same as Aions.

If you got any more questions just ask !

Open world pvp can be harsh though so if anny of you carebears from the theampark genre are going to play this, please dont give up the first time you get curbstomped...

Hehe this is true.. I kinda like a challenge you know. So dont mind being thrown in with the rest of the WOLFs...

But nothing beats getting hold of a little carebear, that has gotten lost.. Its just way to EPIC.. when the Tears start flowing..

lol... well I guess if they roll on a PvP server they need to expect there will be people that enjoy the kind of game you like and should just accept it.

Me though? I get enough challange and grief in RL, I prefer my gaming to be friendly co-op ;)

Originally posted by rojo6934

and a more colorful and crisp environment gives joy :D

wait until they throw the high rez pack in :D

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Originally posted by elyssaria

/Ely

What we are hoping for is that the PvP is good... I would say less skills, and no skill trees are good.. The more streamlined the classes are the better the PvP is. You might find this strange but for me personaly less custimazation is a good thing..

I gussing that "stop and cast" mechanic also has something do do with the PvP aspect of the game.. If you could run around and shoot... Ranged charecters would have a clear advantage over Melee etc.. Evrything is there for a reason you know...

You see Zlayer, we actually do agree on something.

@ elyssaria: I would say that it's always a good thing if a player has to stop in order to fire off a large damage attack. Running while attacking is NOT good.

It forces one to make a decision. do I stop and fire or do I find a better opportunity. There is no challenge for the attacker if they can move with impunity and attack.

However, from what I understand, there are glyphs of some sort that give a player movement while attacking so I suppose there is that.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

I have no idea about Tera's PvP rule sets, but actually fighting another player via duel was a blast. During my several duels, the players who actually utilized their dodges and blocks did far better than mindless hack 'n slashers. I personally felt that the PvP combat itself was much more engaging than traditional MMO combat.

I personally hope that the PvP isn't going to be solely based on instanced battlegrounds with gear incentive.

• SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019

I have been watching videos of this all morning since reading this thread and it does look interesting.

Could someone go into more detail about the combat? From what I see you have to have your cursor over the person you are attacking, what are the hitboxes like?

I have played every MMO since SWG with just a touchpad, because I game when I am travelling a lot and sit on a couch at home as I have no space for a desk, does this 100% require a mouse? The aiming doesnt look anywhere near as intense as an FPS. Would it be playable in this way or does it require the aim of an FPS? (note i always use keybinds i do not click and use a touchpad that would be horrific)

There didnt seem to be an overwhelming amount of abilities, which is great for PvP, sick of being swamped by useless or situational at best, ones. Is it a case of the abilities are on the hotbars along with moves such as dodges and defenses?

• myrmxmyrmx Member Posts: 93

most class have about 20-25 ability they can use . Most are similar to how you work in a mortal kombat and chain link themselves . with a little pratice . Everything is 100% customizable and you can change combo if you feel they are not fluid enough or your gameplay is different than the basic one ( say you don't want to shield bash after a lance push you can change it to have a shield slam there or any other skill you like )

There is no GCD it's all based upon animation and they link themselves taking for example lancer some skill will not gain buff if you do not use them before hand will be slower ... You can interrupt multi swing ability anytime you want and channelling ability can be used on the fly if you want to move simply release the button and rather than doing 500 dmg it will do 200.( channel bar yellow going red is a sign its near maxed when it does a flashbang it means the skill is near max and will auto release soon.

Now people will say you can't move while using ability , that'd be dumb everyone would simply be bunny hopping all over the place and would be tired of playing after an hour.

customization of gear is also pretty top notch with enchant upgrade dyeing remodeling and let's not forget on the fly rhomb switching.( gear item that buffs your attack/defense). Crafting is a little lackluster and could use some revamp in the beta because there are multiple thing that arent working but yea should be fixed by may.

The viablity of tera will solely depends on enmasse ability to pump new content as fast as they can because currently endgame is pretty lackluster.

Originally posted by mmoDAD

I have no idea about Tera's PvP rule sets, but actually fighting another player via duel was a blast. During my several duels, the players who actually utilized their dodges and blocks did far better than mindless hack 'n slashers. I personally felt that the PvP combat itself was much more engaging than traditional MMO combat.

I personally hope that the PvP isn't going to be solely based on instanced battlegrounds with gear incentive.

Yes if it is like that only BGs im going to be a sad panda...  But they have mentioned something about an outlaw system, sounds Interesting....

found this by someone who has tested it so I repost it here...

There will be 2 ways to PVP, now in TERA.

Guild vs. Guild

This method is for large groups or guilds, who want to start a war on the server. To start a war you will need to use a item called "Bahar's War Declaration" (costs 3 million gold at the shop), and if your group/guild gets scared and wants to surrender you will need to buy an item called "Kaia's Intervention" (costs 300k gold at the shop). You can declare war up to as many as 3 groups/guilds at once, and there is a 24 hr cooldown to declare war on the same group/guild again.

Once the item is used to declare war a window will pop up and you can type in the enemy group/guild's name, after this you have 15 seconds after which a server wide message will appear stating which groups/guilds are at war. The war will last 24 hrs or until the winning group/guild gets 2000 points. Killing an enemy player will result in 1 point. Killing an enemy leader/guild leader will result in 20 points. Once a winning group/guild wins, another sever wide message will state it's outcome. The winning group/guild will get xp, loot and pvp tokens for pvp gear.

Safe places during the war will be towns, villages, camps, and instance entrances/and inside.

The other way to PVP will be

Becoming a Outlaw/Criminal of the Federation

This method is perfect for the solo player who wants to pvp. There will be a special quest line one player can do to obtain an item to declare themselves an outlaw/criminal. Once a player declares themselves a criminal, player can attack anyone or be attacked by anyone. You get xp, loot and pvp tokens for killing. The more notorious of a criminal you become the more xp, loot, pvp tokens you will get. But it comes at a price, the more notorious you become the more of a debuff you will receive.

It comes with a point system, every person you kill you get 1 point. The more points you collect the greater rewards, but also the greater debuff.

The debuffs are nasty :( but hey you have to kill a toon of mobs to keep going, cant call it none hardcore...

The debuffs are:

1-100 points

You get a minor debuff

-Your stamina depletes much faster

-The chance of crystals breaking go up by 2x

-You are unable to benefit from rest xp

100-1000 points

You get a major debuff

-Your Stamina depletes even faster

-The chance of crystals breaking go up by 3x

-You attack power is decreased by 50%

-Your movement speed goes down 15%

-Unable to benefit from rest xp.

-Unable to use mounts,teleporters or the pegasus.

1000 points +

You get a massive debuff

-Your stamina depletes to 0 very fast.

-The chance of crystals breaking go up by 5x

-Your attack power is decreased by 90%

-Your defense is decreased by 75%

-Your movement speed is decreased by 30%

-Unable to benifit from rest xp

-Unable to use mounts, teleporters or the pegasus.

By default your points will automatically decrease by 1 every 5 mins. Killing mobs/Bams will also decrease your points as well.

This system is currently being tested on the Korean servers, and hopefully will be applied to the NA/EU servers. There have been some negative feedback.

GU/GU negative feedback

Leaders of groups or guild get ganked non-stop. Even if a leader goes on a ALT, he/she can still get ganked and the other player receive the points. A hated leader on the server has nowhere to go.

Criminal/Outlaw negative feedback

In order to finish the quest line you need to be at or near endgame, this is especially hard if your a solo player. This system will force PVP players to PVE till endgame till they can get their outlaw certificate.

Another negative feedback is to really pvp non-stop your forced to pve mobs to reduce your debuff points.

BHS/EME can change or tweek this PVP system before it goes live, but this is gonna be the basics of what PVP will be in TERA on a PVP server.

All in all it sound wery promising, and hey if you want to be a leader of a guild you should expect to get ganked more often hehe, lets hope they let you go Outlaw faster though.. as this game is going to be very grindy..