Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I finally did it

I finally did it, even though when i subscribed I used a gift card for 6 months because i wanted to get rid of the card and figured i'd be around a few months.. I finally did it.. I deleted the game from the hard drive.. And technically cancelled my subscription.

I played a Bounty Hunter to 50, a trooper to 25, a few other characters to teens/early 20's.. I am the type who wants to play the game, not really in it to be part of a movie. If I want to get into a movie and story line, I will go to the movies or watch a dvd/tv whatever. Ya know what I mean? I don't understand where online gaming became interactive story day. Yes its nice to have background, lore, etc etc, but I am here to be playing a game. Is it possible I can actually play the game with something interesting, challenging, risky, adventurous by my hand? So basically im just saying, I dunno how you guys justify this PvE quest storyline a game, to me its a $150 movie ticket with a $15/m rental tag...And the ending just never happens.. You wouldnt rent The Star Wars DVD for that kind of money, so not sure how you justify this as valid entertainment for your buck. Why not just get out of your house and go to a Star Wars bar and be part of the script in the audience? You at least can get hammered at the same time for the same dinero!! :D

Okay, anyhow, that doesnt mean im a pvp player entirely either, but thats where this game took me... The questing segragated any players from getting together, each player soloing a online game, and seriously i think after Black Talon, or Esseles, i never really did another flashpoint with my guild of 50 some odd players.. TBH, i found the whole flashpoint thing to be a oddity.. I just never felt compelled to do it, didnt see a reason, other than to get this tokens and crafting crap that seriously noone needs. My guildmates were also doing their own thing so grouping was never there, or worse yet the 4 player groups made it so we all couldnt play... So everyone pugged it as they needed too..

So quickly the game was anti-social.. We logged in and chatted throughout the night, and as nights went by, the interest of the guild dissapated as everytjhing to learn was done over just a couple days.. There was no reason to be in a guild... There is no support for a guild, and no game mechanics outside of storyline questing whatsoever. We tried crafting for one another, an it was a waste of time as most crafting professions were useless gear wise, and the mods etc, were easily obtainable thru basic questing scenarios..

The game also turned out to be static linear boredom.. There was no adventure feeling, seriously i didnt feel attached to the storyline.. i was there a part of it.. they were trying to make me feel like i am somebody... but in the end, all i did was say. "Im in for the credits.". Quite frankly im sick of that after one character.. The decisions, are all the same, and responses not even what i expected or the just of my desired attitude. Didnt matter, no choice could i go wrong.. They would just give a different reply and move on, or a few different outcomes that didnt mean nothing in the future as I expected..

Quite frankly most of the storyline was so rushed none of it made any sense or developed my character, i had no sense of adventuring, no sense of a community no sense of nothing.. it was just there. I quickly found myself spacebaring thru it just to get the levels quicker...

So i trailed into PvP, at least PvP is a bit challenging while you are learning the game... I for one am great a games, and very coordinated, and then after a few build wipes, found my DPS build and owned the warzones.. It was fun being top damage every round thru the first 50 levels, but then end game came. I went thru the whole expertise wiping out the 45's and below, i went thru the brackets, and i went thru the getting champion gear crap.. at the end, i am battlemaster valor 60 with no battlemaster gear, and no desire to get it.. It means nothing... the game has no appeal or end of the day reason, why am i wasting my time here...Basically every match was the same fight over and over, nothing unique, no feeling of wins or losses, a lot of stupid people doing things to piss you off, and no way to grow a community.. I never seen such a game where you didnt even find another player to play with because you had same interests.. everyone was on their own and that was that.

As for my character, it was just stale. After doing this and that, realizing nothing is unique about the game. Nothing is awarded for anything.. nothing can be shown as an accomplishment, and the stuff that was there, was not even at a subpar level, but quite frankly comical in design skills. As for materials, I dont get no weapon different than anyone else, i dont get no stats, i dont get anything but a reoccurring bill for doing the same thing over and over... And thats when it struck me... as much as i desire to be a part of a community and mmorpg game, and having fun... I realized this game has NO FUN FACTOR to it whatsoever... I re-rolled in disbelief...i trolled the swtor and then got a 2nd wind... but once again.. i just cant find myself hitting the login button, the developers have shown no interest into doing anything but providing the game as a interactive story and the pvp battlezones, are frankly just patheticly designed, and they dont care about em, nor ever will..... I want to say I am sadly dissappointed in leaving, but to be honest, it was 48 hours ago i left, and I have been A LOT HAPPIERr since... I have a lot of friends playing the game, the guild is a 7 year old SWG guild, and the guild i am in has dwindled down from 50 to 5 players int he past weeks... I am starting to understand why. I dont want to lose those relationships, but to be honest, i don't miss the game, and if anyone out there is hanging on... I say pull the plug, you are better off in the long wrong... Hopes and desires are great, but this development team of Bioware has shown no interest in really improving this game... and i bet F2P is already in design, as they are not fixing anything else as far as i can tell,.... in beta there was tons more content that was pulled, get ready to pay for it, is what i am forseeing! This game is surprisingly a complete dud with no future, after taking some time and let it sink in on how they can fix it.. they can't, they can only add to story for the story peeps, and thats not enough for me.

I am not sad at my decision, and if you are feeling like i do... like nothing is happening.. i suggest pull the plug

Regards,
Nobotters - A better gaming experience

Comments

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

Yesterday I finished my Champion set on my Shadow.  Today I hit 45 on my Commando.  I tried questing on the commando, but I found the planets and quests so lifeless and boring that I literally couldn't stand doing them.  So I have PVP'd pretty much every single level on him except for the two planets I can even stomach landing on (Tatooine - Quesh).

I only land on planets now to spacebar through the storyline quests which consist of "blah blah blah" from some NPC followed by "This is how Havoc Squad gets things done!" over and over no matter what dialogue option I actually picked.

As soon as I hit 45 on my Commando (Valor 40) I sat there for a few minutes thinking about queuing up for another Warzone and I realized something... I'm just not having fun anymore.  The same three warzones over and over for hours with the same 20 people that queu up with you is soul sucking.

Ilum is a joke.  The Imps outnumer us 3:1 on our server.  At any given time of day I can log onto my lvl 10 Imp at the Imp fleet and their numbers will be three times ours, and the same goes for Ilum.  They control it 24/7 flat out.  The only way to get your dailies is to convince enough people to go with you and die repeatedly in the hopes of getting enough lucky kills to turn in.

The ability delays are just killing me as are the fact that some of our Mirrors have abilities that look the same, but have drastically different actual effects.  For instance, no one on the republic side gets a several second long AoE stun, but it happens to us all the time.  I get near a warrior and suddenly me and everyone near him are laying on our backs.

I spent eight straight months playing World of Tanks every day, so I can stomach quite a bit of seeing the same map, but when it's with the same few dozen people and only three maps.. it just gets to be a grind instead of fun and new every time.

Just like the OP, I think I'm just bored to death and ready to move on.

• AfterlifeAfterlife Member UncommonPosts: 256

You guys should probably stick to a different genre...

I'm not sure "quiting" an MMO is a real accomplishment.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by Afterlife

Indeed. Are these guys looking for applause? Acceptance? 

• nobotttersnobottters Member Posts: 88

Nope, just saying, sometimes its hard to walk away and you catch yourself wasting your life.. in this case, i am telling people, if you are feeling anything like us.. its best to walk away and you'll feel better... I'm glad you can be entertained watching cutscenes, i seriously applaud you, that is not what we want out of a MMO..

As stated, i spent 7 years playing with the same group of regulars, its a tough habit to leave, but this had to be done and I dont feel bad anymore.. I on the contrary, more happier than the last 4 weeks of playing this MMO

If you want to hand out cookies however, im all for gratuity!

Good luck in your gaming

Regards,
    Nobotters - A better gaming experience

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380

I didn't write what I wrote for anyone enjoying the game at all.  This is an MMO web site, not a Star Wars specific web site.  I added my two cents for the people who come here reading the forums who are on the fence about buying the game.

I'm just saying that the game has very little replayability, which isn't surprising considering it's a BioWare game and almost all of them have zero replayability.  If someone reading this is sitting there wondering whether to buy this game or not, then I would just have to say it depends on whether you like repeating a very very very small pool of content on a daily basis.

If hours on end of 3 warzones can keep you entertained as a PVP'er, then go for it.  Myself, as a PVP'er primarily, am extremely bored with the game.

So you people who own the game already can go crawl back in your hole, this isn't for you.

• theAsnatheAsna Member UncommonPosts: 324

The question is: What did you expect that game to be? Or rather did you play other MMOs (especially theme park MMOs)?

Games are always a waste of time. Ideally a waste of time you enjoy. If you hit "end-game" it's about getting better gear to keep a sense of "progression" (i.e. repeat available content to do so).

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I agree. I only play to hang out with friends. Doubt that will last much longer for me as they play less and less every week. This game gets boring, fast.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by nobottters

Nope, just saying, sometimes its hard to walk away and you catch yourself wasting your life.. in this case, i am telling people, if you are feeling anything like us.. its best to walk away and you'll feel better... I'm glad you can be entertained watching cutscenes, i seriously applaud you, that is not what we want out of a MMO..

As stated, i spent 7 years playing with the same group of regulars, its a tough habit to leave, but this had to be done and I dont feel bad anymore.. I on the contrary, more happier than the last 4 weeks of playing this MMO

Good luck in your gaming

Yeah, because that's all this game is, a series of cutscenes.  I'm happy for you that you are able to walk away, because in all honesty, if all you got out of this game was a series of cutscenes, then it obviously wasn't for you.   Please ignore the fact that it has every bit of the content that every other themepark MMO has, however.  

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Hey I know two more people that quit yesterday, they weren't having any fun, and if you're not having fun with a game, I think it is an accomplishment to walk away and not let it take up anymore of your time.  That's how I see it.  On the flip side, you could keep playing it, assuring everyone that you're having a good time and then weeks/months later, confess that you weren't, like I've seen several people do on these forums.

• nikoliathnikoliath Member UncommonPosts: 1,154

Originally posted by nobottters

Good luck in your gaming

Good for you, I guess, being entertained by cutscenes does not require applause. To be fair, players like you do have an illness in that you play a game you dislike. If you felt the need to bare your sole, perhaps your group of regulars would have been a better audience, unless you were looking for virtual high-fives from the TOR hate train?

Might I also suggest that you find another form of activity or genre of games to play, maybe sports games? A great deal many games have a story to them especially mmorpgs, so you picked the worst possible genre going ( rpg ).

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

So just curious what game did you go back to?

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954

Its sounds like people were expecting SWTOR to be the second coming and when it turned out to be another MMO the rage set in.

Its just a a game guys, a game bascially like any other game.   Sounds  like people are just overdosing on MMO;s and blaming the game or genre these days.

• CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359

congrats op for finally seeing the light.

i already uninstalled 3 weeks ago.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

all i can say to the OP is that a game that has no story to follow is not a good game. One of the most important aspects of RPG games is the story you follow. MMORPG with no story is like a dead body.... theres nothing good to do with it. Swtor decided to use cutscenes to take a different approach to the same goal as other themepark mmorpgs, guide you through the story.....

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by snapfusion
    Its just a a game guys, a game bascially like any other game.   Sounds  like people are just overdosing on MMO;s and blaming the game or genre these days.

They are supposed to be virtual worlds...

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• GMan3GMan3 Member CommonPosts: 2,127

Originally posted by snapfusion

Its sounds like people were expecting SWTOR to be the second coming and when it turned out to be another MMO the rage set in.

I think you are right on all accounts.  BioWare was very honest in what they were making and for some reason some people let themselves expect too much.  Kind of funny really, because even though they should have had the info, since it was so easily found, they still chose to lie to themselves and talk themselves into buying something they should have know they would not like.

I knew exactly what this game was, have been playing like a mad-man and still have yet to get a toon to level 50.  Several of the same base classes to the high 30s and it does not bother me a bit that two Jedi Consulars have the same class story.  Why?  Because there is so much else to do than just the class quests.  Heck, I have skipped entire planets (except the class stories) with some characters thanks to space combat, pvp, flashpoints, etc. and so I can still go back and really experience them if I want.

Simple fact is, people lied to themselves, then want someone to blame for their own stupidity.  I personally will stick with a game that has more content than almost any other MMO did at launch AND even more content than many MMOs have after several years being live.

"If half of what you tell me is a lie, how can I believe any of it?"

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191

I'm so sick of these threads that are like copy and paste of each other. Why not just create one thread with the same info and all the same people can just type 'signed'. I'm curious like a poster above WTF you are playing now? What MMO out today enriches you to the point where you wouldn't type the same thing on that forum as you would here? We want to know, because I can't think of any game out today with a better story and isn't linear...or a sandbox game that hasn't failed despite all the whining the sandbox folks do here because they have ZERO games to play that are any good. Comon, seriously, what are you playing now so we can compare it to your comments?

There Is Always Hope!

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

What should have been a single player and gone the route with some multi player like MW3 has, instead of trying to make a MMO out of single player game and then charge a monthly fee for it. TOR should have been “Knights of the old republic 3”, a game that's played in single player or at least in Co op with 2 to 4 friends. Going for the MMO title for their game they've reached to far with the IP in trying to keep it in line with the games before and have it be a MMO too. EA has done Bioware no favours taking the IP to the MMO genre.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

[mod edit]

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by GMan3

I think you are right on all accounts.  BioWare was very honest in what they were making and for some reason some people let themselves expect too much.  Kind of funny really, because even though they should have had the info, since it was so easily found, they still chose to lie to themselves and talk themselves into buying something they should have know they would not like.

I knew exactly what this game was, have been playing like a mad-man and still have yet to get a toon to level 50.  Several of the same base classes to the high 30s and it does not bother me a bit that two Jedi Consulars have the same class story.  Why?  Because there is so much else to do than just the class quests.  Heck, I have skipped entire planets (except the class stories) with some characters thanks to space combat, pvp, flashpoints, etc. and so I can still go back and really experience them if I want.

Simple fact is, people lied to themselves, then want someone to blame for their own stupidity.  I personally will stick with a game that has more content than almost any other MMO did at launch AND even more content than many MMOs have after several years being live.

Well put sir, I agree completely.

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

The same happened to me lately. I was in the Early Start, and offered my girlfriend a copy of swtor for Christmas. So I had a lvl 47 warrior, but had to relevel another one with my gf.

Now I'm Lvl 27 and I can't bear the dialogs anymore. Always 2 minutes of bla bla just to say that you must kill 10 rats. I'm also already sick of chaining the same pvp warzones, and Space Combat is the same 4 missions again and again. Quests are 50% of tedious going back and forth (lol Taris). And while I'm at it, constantly reading articles about GW2 skills just made me realize how uninspired and linear swtor skills/trees are.

It's incredible to be so much striken by boredom and tediosity, as I was one of the defenders of the game when it launched ...

I've signed for 3 monthes last month so I'm kind of trapped, but I'm really, really bored. I've resubbed to WoW, to say how much I'm bored ... (= a ton).

And unfortunately, the major problem (boring dialogs/quests/whole skills mechanics and trees) can't be fixed with a patch. They would have to rewrite so many dialogs, it's bound to stay.

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425

OP, this described my journey into swtor almost to the letter. Too bad you had to part with that 6 month game card!

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Originally posted by nikoliath

Dont mind these 2. I applaude you good Jobb lads, lets hope more people come to their senses so we can sink this shit faster...

• k-damagek-damage Member CommonPosts: 738

Originally posted by Zlayer77

Dont mind these 2. I applaude you good Jobb lads, lets hope more people come to their senses so we can sink this shit faster...

Even if I don't like the game right now, just ... why would you want to sink that ship ?

Do you have EA stocks to dump or what ?

It's a game, not a political party ...

***** Before hitting that reply button, please READ the WHOLE thread you're about to post in *****

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Originally posted by k-damage

Originally posted by Zlayer77

Even if I don't like the game right now, just ... why would you want to sink that ship ?

Do you have EA stocks to dump or what ?

I dislike EA yes..for many reasons. I also dislike all these developers who keep pushing the same crap out and failing. I mean Its like living in deja vu land. How many times now have this happend since 2004? Cant they they see the Pattern? or are these games actually profitabal with low populations and as Free to play games? I guess they are because otherwise why bother making them???