Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Western Tera, easier than the Korean version?

ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

Hello everybody.

Let me start of by saying I've played TERA back when it was released in Korea, January 25th, 2011 (if I remember correctly). I played for a good 2 months or so and than again for a couple of weeks in October. Now this weekend I got the chance to try out Frogster's version of the game, and I must say it feels quite good to play without the latency issues and to play it in English xD

I do have one problem though, and that is that it feels much easier than the Korean version... It seems like the mobs hit a lot less hard and that they are a lot easier to kill. The best way I can think of to explain it, is to compare it  to the difference between Vindictus and Vindictus XE.

So I got 3 questions here. The first one being, is this the same in the NA version?

The second is to anybody else who have played both Korean and one of the Western versions: is this just me or do you agree?

and last one: if this is true, (the western version being easier than the korean version), do you think this is a permanent change for the western version or do you think this will change after beta/closer to release?

Thank you for taking the time to answer :) and I just want to emphasise that this is not ment as hate towards the game in any way, even if this turns out to be true, I will still play when released :)

and Sorry if my English isn't perfect, it's not my 1st language.

Comments

• bygeorgebygeorge Member UncommonPosts: 104

The difficulty change occured in the Korean version of the game throughout a years worth of patches, and has carried over to NA/EU Tera. What you experienced here mirrors the difficulty of the current K-Tera version.

The next major update for K-Tera is supposed to revamp lvl 1-40 leveling, and we will probably see this update at or before our release.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

So another easy street MMORPG? With this, lack of any clear direction about PvP and the teenage mutant ninja girl race I think I will pass on this one. Such a shame though, was expecting alot from it.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Yamota

So another easy street MMORPG? With this, lack of any clear direction about PvP and the teenage mutant ninja girl race I think I will pass on this one. Such a shame though, was expecting alot from it.

It's not that easy, he said easier but doesn't mean it's easy. 

• LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 691

Asian likes to grind... the NA, doesnt like it at all.  ( In tems of customers and money wise. )

So guess  what they did..? Thet made it easier. Thats why.

Now , move along guys.

• JamesErnstJamesErnst Member UncommonPosts: 53

I'd like it to be difficult, I don't want to be able to solo my way through this game!

--Gaymer Extraordinaire--

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by bygeorge

The difficulty change occured in the Korean version of the game throughout a years worth of patches, and has carried over to NA/EU Tera. What you experienced here mirrors the difficulty of the current K-Tera version.

The next major update for K-Tera is supposed to revamp lvl 1-40 leveling, and we will probably see this update at or before our release.

Ah okay, I guess I didnt experience the change in the korean version, or at least I didnt notice the change...

Thanks for the info :) I loved how hard and unforgiving Korean TERA was back at launch, lets hope we'll see it again after the revamp :) As it is now it's a little bit too solo friendly if you ask me :/

Again, thanks :D

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

Originally posted by bygeorge

Link please, to where you found that information about said revamp.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• lectrocudalectrocuda Member Posts: 604

fun game, way to easy.

Still confused as to skill trees and crafting but Im only level 10 and havent really looked into it. Its cb so itll be wiped so i figure just learn combat, but its pretty easy.

Lots of fun, I just hope once off the starter island the game gets some more depth

To the caterpillar it is the end of the world, to the master, it is a butterfly.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768

Originally posted by lectrocuda

fun game, way to easy.

Still confused as to skill trees and crafting but Im only level 10 and havent really looked into it. Its cb so itll be wiped so i figure just learn combat, but its pretty easy.

Lots of fun, I just hope once off the starter island the game gets some more depth

At least they only have 1 wipe. after the last closed beta. and the max level will go up between now and then. 

• Adhesive33Adhesive33 Member UncommonPosts: 227

I also noticed it being both easier and with lower resolution textures, but I haven't played the latest version of the K-client. Regardless, i think they definitely need to increase the attack strength of mobs, there is almost zero sense of danger for the majority of classes in this game.

• BraavosiBraavosi Member Posts: 149

The game is easy in the beginning, what game isnt? At least we arn't killing little rats

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I have not played the S. Korean version or the Japanese version but I do have to say that the game feels incredibly easy. I'll be hard pressed to name a single MMO in which I have no died at least once from 1-20. I wasn't even trying.

Like in LOTRO I went out of my way to avoid death to get the achievement and the title and even then I didn't do it on my first character because I didn't know the game. In TERA I didn't even have to try. Not only do regular mobs do very little damage than in other games, very often they also drop those glowie things that heal you after the fight. Also, since all mobs have a "tell" before they attack, you can dodge and completely avoid the damage.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by pimpdizzle

The game is easy in the beginning, what game isnt? At least we arn't killing little rats

No, you're killing those tree things and deer. I got to level 20 and almost every quest hub I went to at least one NPC wanted me to kill those deer. I forgot what they are called... Naruk, narbuk? Whatever, they look like deer.

• birdycephonbirdycephon Member UncommonPosts: 1,314

All I can say is, I've gotten to lvl 19, and there was not a single encounter that I feared for my life.

• killion81killion81 Member UncommonPosts: 995

Originally posted by birdycephon

All I can say is, I've gotten to lvl 19, and there was not a single encounter that I feared for my life.

In a few levels you run into BAMs.  Those can kill you and probably will kill you many times as you progress through the game.

• Arawulf2Arawulf2 Member Posts: 14

I'm not sure about the OP's question, but people seem to be beating up these BAMs like nobodys business.  i just don't know how easy they were to kill in the Kor version.  I'd be curious to find out myself.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

Originally posted by black777

Asian likes to grind... the NA, doesnt like it at all.  ( In tems of customers and money wise. )

So guess  what they did..? Thet made it easier. Thats why.

Now , move along guys.

Lets take WoW out of the picture for a moment.  Out of all the games left, which MMORPG was the most popular western MMO?

One game that was able to spend 5+ years with a player base over 400k.  No other game has seen 400k (western subs) outside of the first couple months of its lfetime.  Rift might have made it a half year.

Yet one game kept this number for over 5 years....

Maybe NA *does* like grind after all, but only if done well.

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

Originally posted by Arawulf

people seem to be beating up these BAMs like nobodys business.  i just don't know how easy they were to kill in the Kor version.  I'd be curious to find out myself.

The BAMs were a lot harder in K TERA back when I played a year ago, I got to lvl 22 in the beta and killed 5 Basilisks, (the very first BAM you encounter), without any major difficulties and didnt die once, on my Lancer. When TERA was released in Korea, these BAMs did quite a lot more damage and were nearly impossible to solo (IMO).

And my question is basicly if it's just me or is TERA easier than it used to be? and will this change before release? But I seem to have gotten answers to both my questions :)

Thanks for all the replies guys :)

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Zierrity

Originally posted by Arawulf

people seem to be beating up these BAMs like nobodys business.  i just don't know how easy they were to kill in the Kor version.  I'd be curious to find out myself.

The BAMs were a lot harder in K TERA back when I played a year ago, I got to lvl 22 in the beta and killed 5 Basilisks, (the very first BAM you encounter), without any major difficulties and didnt die once, on my Lancer. When TERA was released in Korea, these BAMs did quite a lot more damage and were nearly impossible to solo (IMO).

And my question is basicly if it's just me or is TERA easier than it used to be? and will this change before release? But I seem to have gotten answers to both my questions :)

Thanks for all the replies guys :)

Yes they nerfed some of the bam's and elites in Ktera a few months ago and that has carried over to NA & EU.    A few of the bams in the game were just not worth doing because of time / reward,  So they went back and lowered some of the bams HP & armor rating.  I still play Ktera and I would say that at least up to lvl22  both Korea & NA are the same.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by st4t1ck

Originally posted by lectrocuda

fun game, way to easy.

At least they only have 1 wipe. after the last closed beta. and the max level will go up between now and then. 

They will also have a wipe after the Open Beta I just found out while gazing at the Beta Overview. Very unfortunate.

http://tera-europe.com/newsdetail/article/overview-about-beta-phases.html

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

I just found out that NA's pk starts at lv11 compared to lv40 in Ktera,  so both clients do have differences but i dont think those differences involve mob defficulty or leveling speed.

http://tera.enmasse.com/veterans-guide/pvp/

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...