Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Gamebreaker folks are ripping this game a new one

Comments

• VexeVexe Member Posts: 549

I haven't seent heir comments, but personally, I think it's fun. It's not terribly challenging at low levels because of the amount of health you have, that's for sure, but it's pretty fun. Having the roll out of the way of enemy attacks that can knock you down and looking for the signs that those attacks are coming is pretty entertaining. I've only played the melee combat, but it's pretty awesome when you're fighting a big boss, too, because you have to dodge and roll more often. I can't wait to get into group play.

That's just my opinion, though. I have no more validity in my statements than those other guys.

If you're really interested in trying it, just give it a go.

• Cyberdeck7Cyberdeck7 Member UncommonPosts: 239

They all love SWTOR too

'nuff said

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

Some of you are saying TERA is better than WoW or SWTOR. The people in the video say WoW/SWTOR are better than TERA. You're all wrong. The game is only as good as the person playing it decides it is.

The people in that video clearly have a different definition of 'good' and 'fun,' they're the kind that see no issue with the way MMOs evolved since the EQ2 days and are content to play them as they exist, while games like TERA are trying something different. So, of course, they're not going to dig TERA, it's just a different style of gameplay than they're looking for. To me, it's like being upset at someone who plays FPS games because they dislike RPGs...it's sort of to be expected. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

Originally posted by gaeanprayer

The game is only as good as the person playing it decides it is.

Such rational logic doesn't belong on these boards....be gone I say.    =)

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Originally posted by sgel

Just try it and make up your own mind.

Didn't Mike B give SWTOR 8/10 for innovation? ;)

I still have to LOL at that one! Anyway, those guys at gamebreaker are all WoW and TOR lovers anyway. What did you expect them to do ?

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Some of you are saying TERA is better than WoW or SWTOR. The people in the video say WoW/SWTOR are better than TERA. You're all wrong. The game is only as good as the person playing it decides it is.

The people in that video clearly have a different definition of 'good' and 'fun,' they're the kind that see no issue with the way MMOs evolved since the EQ2 days and are content to play them as they exist, while games like TERA are trying something different. So, of course, they're not going to dig TERA, it's just a different style of gameplay than they're looking for. To me, it's like being upset at someone who plays FPS games because they dislike RPGs...it's sort of to be expected. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

But this is unfortunately different, they are popular, they are also showing some biased towards the game and giving it negative publicity while at the same time not even giving it a fair chance.

People like them don't deserve to be popular, review games properly or not at all. The guy was like level 10, what's he going on about at that level. I can make fun of picking cactus apples and shooting boars or practicing my attacks on a stationary target in WoW at low levels too, doesn't mean it reflects the whole game.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Pivotelite

But this is unfortunately different, they are popular, they are also showing some biased towards the game and giving it negative publicity while at the same time not even giving it a fair chance.

People like them don't deserve to be popular, review games properly or not at all. The guy was like level 10, what's he going on about at that level. I can make fun of picking cactus apples and shooting boars or practicing my attacks on a stationary target in WoW at low levels too, doesn't mean it reflects the whole game.

They are popular because some people find them entertaining.  Their opinions are simply that. Everyone has an agenda or bias, which has to be expected.  Its not up to you or I to decide what they "deserve" (except for ourselves).  Tera looks like fun, and I'm going to give it a try.  I'm not really expecting much, but I'm willing to see if its as entertaining as some of the videos make it appear. I may have to get a game pad from the sounds of it. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by Wraithone

Originally posted by Pivotelite

They are popular because some people find them entertaining.  Their opinions are simply that. Everyone has an agenda or bias, which has to be expected.  Its not up to you or I to decide what they "deserve" (except for ourselves).  Tera looks like fun, and I'm going to give it a try.  I'm not really expecting much, but I'm willing to see if its as entertaining as some of the videos make it appear. I may have to get a game pad from the sounds of it. 

I think people are assuming that the gamebreaker guys present themselves as MMO journalists. I'm not sure if that's true, but I think it's the assumed influence that a journalists's opinion has on the success of a game that has Pivotelite worried.

• coolgycoolgy Member UncommonPosts: 61

Game journalism at it's finest. Giving the game a chance uptill level 3 and handing your judgement. 

The bias is strong with this one. 

Originally posted by coolgy

Game journalism at it's finest. Giving the game a chance uptill level 3 and handing your judgement. 

The bias is strong with this one. 

Be one with the bias, Cool

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

Originally posted by byson123

And all the 70 people who watch there stream won't be playing Tera then :( The game will surely fail now. And that dork who is always talking needs to shave his mustasch. Looks like someone smeared crap on his face.

I just recently found out about GamebreakerTV back in Decemer, but I've seen over a 1000 in several of their streams. I'm not jockin these dudes but they got a good formula. I don't even know what they are saying about Tera but I'm sure I'll find out on one of the shows. SWTOR show had 2000's when the game was just out..

I'm wathing their show on the SWTOR tonight, should be really.. entertaining.. They wont just come out and totally bash the game thats not what they are about. They'll come on discuss some of the updates coming to SWTOR and they'll also point out what they are feeling in the game. Believe me, They are gamers just like the rest of you..

NOTE: Gary Gannon has stated a few times on his shows about Tera and how he was hesitant about trying it. Some others on the show were more interested. So when you watch them it's not like its him only bashing games or giving his opinion only. It's him a forum of 2 or 3 others and then the peope in the channel. Kind of hard to be a real fanboy infront of litterally thousands sometimes.

I dont know. I listen I like getting the info and hearing others thoughts. I don't let them decide if I play a game or not though. I'll tell you this. I'm going to be all over their Secret World show.. For real..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780

I'm a fan of Gamebreaker, and I trust their opinions. Tera looks like another meh MMO.

• zatanicmanzatanicman Member Posts: 1

I played with Taugrim on 1 of his stream > http://www.twitch.tv/taugrim/b/308272119

As Boriken a Mystic , then Rolled a Priest same name, I do get what he was saying about the game but , the more u lvl the more skill u get and mechanics start to change. After the stream i stayind playing and hit lvl 16 on the priest . started to get chain combo skills and started the next zones and was extreamly fun.

I then when and played my lvl 50 Op did my dailies and loged out.

What im trying to say is that , U cant Judge a game at a low lvl , even less in a beta that did not even have part of its system up, as the pvp and its warzones , also its ranking . So what the Story is bla in Tera , can u honestly say that Swtor u dont spam the spacebar, even more when u roll new charecters. 

All im saying is that the game needs time to see how it will work out, Dont let others even myself tell u what is OR is not fun.

To Each there Own.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by Vorthanion

I'm done with trying Asian made games.  Their idea of fun is not mine.  Doesn't matter what they do with mechanics and so forth.  I cannot relate to their humor, their art style, their story telling, the huge grinds, aimed combat,  the focus on raids and did I mention the huge grinds.

Is your idea of fun raiding the same instance over and over just to get some loot?

because thats generally what the western mmo gamer likes and its dull as fuck.

I despise raiding.  I roll alts then quit.  Western MMOs have their issues, but at least I can relate to them.

• PuremallacePuremallace Member Posts: 1,856

Gary Gannon: Blizzard corporate tool as proven by his complete and utter lack of knowledge of anything he reprots on

Mike B: Play Arena in WoW and is considered some pvp expert or thinks his 5min reviews of games is law

Lore: Co writer of Tanks spot profitting from WoW remaining popular. Another sell out

Taugrim: Gained fame just like Pokket from reporting on Rift and both have fallen of the map after quiting. Ed is reporting on TOR pvp like anyone actually cares.

GBTv like Massively have been heavily biased against Tera, since it was announced. GBTv is a WoW fan site and Massively is a GW2 fan site, so go ahead and figure why they do not even bother to give it a chance.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Puremallace

Gary Gannon: Blizzard corporate tool as proven by his complete and utter lack of knowledge of anything he reprots on

Mike B: Play Arena in WoW and is considered some pvp expert or thinks his 5min reviews of games is law

Lore: Co writer of Tanks spot profitting from WoW remaining popular. Another sell out

Taugrim: Gained fame just like Pokket from reporting on Rift and both have fallen of the map after quiting. Ed is reporting on TOR pvp like anyone actually cares.

GBTv like Massively have been heavily biased against Tera, since it was announced. GBTv is a WoW fan site and Massively is a GW2 fan site, so go ahead and figure why they do not even bother to give it a chance.

It puzzles me, why on earth did they play it?! For the longest time I can remember they had already made up their minds about the game.

If someone makes up their mind about a certain game, they'll look very hard for any kind of flaw to rip it apart and justify their initial judgment.

Like...bitching about grass. I mean, REALLY? Give me a bleeping break. 

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789

I have never heard of these people but, anyone who says SWTOR is innovative and has good pvp is obviously dilusional. He must love being stun locked on top of a fire pit.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Massively isn't primarily a GW2 fan site, get that bias out of your head.

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Everyone of the guys you just mentioned is an extremely knowledgeable gamer.  You can make a case for Lore being a shill for WoW, but the guy knows his stuff.  I'm not too familiar with Gary Gannon.  But Mike B. and Taugrim have played many games, not just WoW, and know their stuff.  Their word isn't law, so feel free to disagree with them on some things, but don't act like their opinions aren't to be taken seriously at all.  

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

TERA, other than the Action combat, follows the same old MMO design mold that most other games in the genre continue to follow. It mixes Eastern and Western design, but it still lacks anything innovative or new. That said, it seems to do a better job with the formula than most other titles we have seen since WoW launched. People who are fine with the established routine, but want a fresh environment and think they may enjoy the combat, might just find a game worth playing here.

I'm still on the fence myself. I had some fun during CB1, but I also see the many ways this game could start feeling stale fairly quickly and some of the flaws that I know will bug me once the novelty wears off.

Having established my general impressions of the game, I do want to say that the combat does become a lot more interesting by the time you reach the high teens, level wise. Whether people will enjoy the style of combat will be up to personal preference, but I'd caution anyone against judging the combat based on the first 15 levels. The game slowly adds not only new skills, but more challenging MOB AI routines, so that players can adjust and develop some skills before having to deal with highly reactive, tactical combat.

I also realize that even playing to the late teens, early 20s isn't going to give a complete picture of the combat either. At level 19, I found the combat to be just challenging enough to keep it interesting. I'm a little worried that if the complexity continues to ramp up too much at higher levels, it will transition from fun/challenging to frustrating/annoying, but it remains to be seen if those fears will prove to be justified.

I would say that anyone interested enough to give the betas a shot should really try to get at least one character to level 20 so that they can get a better taste of what Action Combat means in this game. For much of the first 12 levels, you can probably get by with standing still, keeping the cursor on the enemy and holding your primary attack button down, with only the occasional need for a dodge or the use of additional skills. After that point, though, the game starts to require a much more active play style.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by Cthulhu23

Everyone of the guys you just mentioned is an extremely knowledgeable gamer.  You can make a case for Lore being a shill for WoW, but the guy knows his stuff.  I'm not too familiar with Gary Gannon.  But Mike B. and Taugrim have played many games, not just WoW, and know their stuff.  Their word isn't law, so feel free to disagree with them on some things, but don't act like their opinions aren't to be taken seriously at all.  

Their opinions are just that... OPINIONS. I don't care how "experienced" they are. Not only are such things subjective, but EVERYONE has their own agenda and bias.  Not to mention the role that perspective and taste add to the mix.  I look at such things as only another data point, in any research I do to see if a game is worth my time.

If everyone took that approach, many issues wouldn't even be a problem.  I look at people like that as *entertainers*. Thats how they gain (and later lose) whats known as "popularity".  It doesn't add any weight to their opinions in my mind. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Lmfao Blitz that video you posted was too much, I want to punch him. He's got that city infront of him and he's complaining about the grass in one zone. What a fucking prick.

Also doesn't realize those are low res textures. To be fair though outside Velika's area is really bland, but I think it was intentional since people always duel there.

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhh yea Gamebreaker.tv.... i can't find "pleasant word" for them... they are just bunch of noobs... im playing MMOs for 15years.... and i would say im still not able to judge and compare games like their "Gamebreaker.tv" super quick&accurate team.... LMAO how the FAK these trolls can show their faces in streams and pretend like they know EVERYTHING about EVERY game based on 10minute gameplay... i hope all of you know they are example of "modern troll"... if there is still someone who trust to theirs reviews ..... he/she should visit a doctor asap!!

{sorry my english is really terrible when im angry, but i think you got it what i mean xD }

• kikinchazkikinchaz Member UncommonPosts: 562

GB.TV are a great bunch of guys, I respect their opinions very much. But they're just that - opinions. Not everyone will agree with them, but that doesn't mean you should start aiming personal insults their way. Like whatever game that you have fun playing, and enjoy it! To anyone who's never watched their shows be sure to check them out, TWIMMO is my personal fave.

On TERA however, I really did have a blast with what I played of the beta. I came in with super low expectations, but the combat is a lot of fun. So much so that I then went to have a look at preorder options. That said I am very concerned over the long-term hold of the game. The quests were super generic. And personally I'm struggling to continue sticking with any MMO in the past year due to an overwhelming been-there-done-that feeling. The more unique the better. I'll probably pick up TERA at launch and see where it takes me, although The Secret World's release is pretty close so it depends on how their beta goes.

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75

Who?