Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Someone make a epic mmo please !!!

Really, why can no company make a game with millions of players on one server ???

I dont care what you say about obstacles, I am god and I command thee  to make it work so we can die knowing weve played a truly epic mmo with millions of players all in the same place kcking ass, and having a great time .

Only some of us got to witness SWG in the first year or so, we want something more epic

We would love to die after experiencing epicness in mmos !!!

SWTOR - 30-80 people per zone most times.

I want to see millions gathered on one planet palying an epic godly experience weve never witnessed before in the history

of this planet.

There is no such thing as I cant do because I can do !!!

EPIC :)

Comments

• KooshdinKooshdin Member Posts: 217

Oh and im listening to Daft Punk tune The game has changed from tron film. Its what moved me to say those words lol :)

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

you want to see your video card melt that badly?

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

As I said in my post there is no obstacles epicness cant overcome.

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Am doing it. Actually I doubt the game could support 1mil players within vision of each other. EvE could probably have 1mil players online in the same universe, but not the same solar system.

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Originally posted by Kooshdin

Really, why can no company make a game with millions of players on one server ???

I dont care what you say about obstacles, I am god and I command thee  to make it work so we can die knowing weve played a truly epic mmo with millions of players all in the same place kcking ass, and having a great time .

Only some of us got to witness SWG in the first year or so, we want something more epic

I want to see millions gathered on one planet palying an epic godly experience weve never witnessed before in the history

of this planet.

Me too.. :c

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

The universe is more amazing than you can possibly imagine .

the reason why graphics cards and cpus over heat, may come from the way they are used to transfer data back and forth. 

I think its a moral story, never force something to do your bidding against its will.. forcing something to do something against its will , will be met with friction guaranteed.

just a guess as to why cpus/ gpus overheat :P

• ThidiasThidias Member Posts: 23

I think most all MMO players would like to see a game like this, and you said not to discuss obstacles but really, thats why a game like this isn't out. If it were that easy to have millions of players in one area then it would be done.

On the server side of things, it would take a lot of complex programming and very high end system spec servers to handle that number of players on screen at once. Creating a game like this would be a massive project, requiring a large, very talented team and not to mention a large budget.

Then you get to the player side of things. A game with hundreds of thousands or millions of players on screen at once would require incredible computers to run, with 8 core procs and massive gpus in SLI or Crossfire configuration. But, I think it would be worth it ;)

Darkfall has a good amount of players in sieges, and if and when DF 2.0 comes out it will hopefully be even larger. I haven't played Mortal Online yet, although I want to check out the trial, so I'm not sure if it has as many players as DF, although I'd assume it probably has more.

Star Wars Galaxies truly was epic, I agree with you there, and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if The Old Republic even compares to the epicness of Galaxies in its early days.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Let's be realistic here, and not in the terms of if it's possible, but whether it's no more than just wishful thinking leading to a changed mind on the subject.

A story first, about Tabula Rasa.

Soon after launch there was a player-event that was confused for a GM one, so literally hundreds of people in one spot at one time. Beyond being stuck in a fragment of time, it was interesting to see the huge amount of people running around blasting away. It was like being stuck in a warzone that had time freeze and speed up over and over, and everyone experienced it.

Now, that would be cool. A couple hundred in one place at one time... a fine goal... but aiming at even thousands is a pointless goal without a change in scope for the game itself; See EVE Online.

You can have thousand man battles, but only because you can zoom out to the macrocosm to where each player is no more than a blip to be rendered. The chat is also different, so that the local area is usually a giant mess, but you can setup any channels you want to negate it.

So, is any other kind of game suited to having so many people in one place, at one time, to where it has to let you zoom that far out to deal with it, and have chat mechanics tailored specifically to deal with the deluge of all those shouty people?

There are more factors at hand too, but the point is that not only is having that ideal ahead of time going to change the very game it's applied to, it's going to marginalize specific interaction with others. Like being a ball in the pit at Chuck-E-Cheese's. The only way it would work is as a very tactical experience that allows every drop in the bucket to have a place, or a chaos simulator the likes of which we have never seen (which, too, would have to have concessions in terms of it's scope because of it's nature).

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• TheodwulfTheodwulf Member UncommonPosts: 311

Other than WoW who has Millions of players playing? Is lots of stuff on the screen "Epic"?

The old republic is like Rift or Age of conan or world of warcraft.

It is not like SWG but it has certain swg things in it like the companion system and the social points system.

once youve grinded to 50 thats it really unless your lucky to find a good guild or 16 players online.

Sadly the worlds are very bare with a person driving about here or there. Pvp wise though swtor is good because you get ganked less because less players about.

Originally posted by Theodwulf

Other than WoW who has Millions of players playing? Is lots of stuff on the screen "Epic"?

SWG for the first year and a half was near to perfect simulation of a real life economy because in many places life was breathing in the game :)

the best moments in a mmo for me is when there is a functioning economy going on in the game thati s not just about levelling characters, its about sdriving up to your castle to finfd a group of people sitting in front of some guy and his girl reciting some made of lore poetry theyve done for valentinesday etc...

Stuff where the community join in with each other is what makes mmos and seeing heaps of players running all over the place doing this and that is EVERYTHING in a mmo :)

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

And while we are at that, I also want warpdrive, impulse drive, replicators, artificial gravity, structucal integrity, droids, oh and why not also a youth fountain and unicorns.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

id be happy if there was 10,000 people on a server at a time.  And I am not talking about WOW's numbers which count every Character made on that server, but actually unique accounts.

• windwavewindwave Member UncommonPosts: 20

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

Glenn Corpes has a good article on his blog (for Topia) which is related to the OP's q:

'AI' and Moore's Law: What happened?

My phone is well over fifty times faster than The STs and Amigas I started coding games for, the iPad2, faster still. Back at Bullfrog we made four games on those old ~8Mhz machines with several hundred NCPs, all 'doing their own thing'. They were of course just drawn with sprites and the 'AI' was just a few hundred lines of assembler or painstakingly optimised C, which can be pretty much the same thing if you're obsessive enough about looking at compiler output.

With a few notable exceptions, none of which I've played as they all look a little to fiddly to be my idea of fun, the number of NCPs just hasn't gone up like Moore's law says it might have. There are several possible reasons for this:

1. People like to see extra processing power spent on more realistic models, proper physics etc.

2. 10x the NCPs can require far more than a 10x speed increase: 100x100 = 10,000, 1000x1000 = 1,000,000 so could require a 100x speed increase.

3. Over the last 20 years, vast amounts of that extra processing power have been pissed away on heavyweight C++ or, worse still, scripting languages.

I shudder to think for mmorpgs... but the above gives a few indications. I'd add that more players above a certain threshold simply may not make the game better... worse even in community/social terms even. But yes, an epic mmorpg, single-shard such as EvE in space... seems to stand out alone. Another problem:

Linked the other day by user: djjazzy?!, from: https://goblinworks.com/blog/

Making a game that starts with 4,500 players and grows to 16,500 players is much, much easier and vastly less expensive than making a game designed to accommodate a million players on day one. We'll be able to focus on a relatively small part of the world at first, expanding it only as we need to.

Compared to:

The ultimate expression of the theme park process is coming very soon in the form of Star Wars: The Old Republic, from EA/Bioware. I have been told by people I trust within the industry that this project's budget has exceeded $300 million. It is the Avatar of this generation of MMOs.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

your dreams come true when gw2 release this year, patience

• DisdenaDisdena Member UncommonPosts: 1,093

Originally posted by GTwander

There are more factors at hand too, but the point is that not only is having that ideal ahead of time going to change the very game it's applied to, it's going to marginalize specific interaction with others.

This is the biggest and best argument against, even moreso than the technical impossibilities involved in a million people in the same area. If there are a million other people, how can your individual actions possibly matter? Colliding with an ocean of enemies would be a fun experience (I hate the over-use of the word epic) but it would be a stinker of a game. Would you really continue to do that for days, weeks, or months?

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Originally posted by Theodwulf

SWG for the first year and a half was near to perfect simulation of a real life economy because in many places life was breathing in the game :)

i wouldnt like real life economy simulation in a game, maybe because i prefer fantasy settings far from realism. Plus, isnt it enough to have a screwed up economy in real life? why add it in game as well... to get a stroke from a double dosage of economic screwness? hehehe

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

of this planet.

dude, have you ever played asian mmorpgs? it's just bad when you can't even click on vendor/quest giver becouse of the crowd. it's not epic. it's BAD.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

of this planet.

To be honest I think its technically challenging to make a game like that...

But you can always go on an advertising capmaign for EvE online.. and see if their servers Explod if they get 1m+ subscribers loged in at one time...

They do have 50k+ people on the same server (no instances) today.. but would always be nice if their were more people for me to shoot at...

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

It obviously cant overcome the gross misuse of the word "epic". Really, this word has been used to death, let it rest in peace already.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

of this planet.

Well, first of all only a master programmer really could pull off something like that technically and frankly are there few people like that who makes MMOsl. It would take a lot of experimenting and a huge budget as well.

And even if you make a game that technically can hold that many people the game would also need to have that many subs. In P2P only Wow and possbly TOR have days with 1 million people online at the same time over all their servers.

F2P is kinda hard to say since they don´t give out that information but I don´t think that many games have enough players.

So it is theoretically possible but I doubt we ever will see it.

Less instances and more players on each servers might happen though, but 10 000 players online at the same server would be impressing enough right now. Eve have more than that but that is about it right now.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I can already see how that would turn out:

Company creates "epic" MMO.

Haters make it their lifes work to destroy it.

Fanboys make people not want to play the game with them.

Result: 5 people playing per zone and a guy making a post 6 months later saying " Someone make a epic mmo please !! "

• Arawulf2Arawulf2 Member Posts: 14

Oh and im listening to Daft Punk tune The game has changed from tron film. Its what moved me to say those words lol :)

Great album btw

Technology limitations for the most part, to answer your question.  Even EVE doesn't put all of their players on the same map they run different sections of the world on different servers.

• phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738

I would like to see a game that emphasizes group content which eventually leads into raid content.

Kill quests... they suck and promote solo play.  Huge xp drain for soloing 1% solo, 50% half grp, 100% full grp xp.  Promote grouping and learning your class.

Kill talent trees.  Classes need to be specific no more healer class that is strictly dps... its retarded, no clue why this was ever liked at all.

Bring back skill system.  Make it more advanced this would be what should make a persons character unique.  Tanks specialize in taking large hits or taking fast hits... makes the ability to add more challenging content when a learning curve will be required, and multiple types of players would be needed.

Kill pvp gear.  Pvp can be fun but pvp gear ruins it.  Pvp should simply have a separate xp bar.  Use the pvp levels to buy abilities such as more hp, more mana, more evasion, more damage etc.  This would make a player who is well rounded in pve and pvp be more valuable than one who specializes in just one or the other.

Raid content... dificult no more easy stuff, larger raids... challenges.

Gear should be dificult to obtain.  No gaining gear as you level.. you want gear you farm it or buy it from someone who did farm it.

Eq had imo the best max level system... Alternate Abilities.  You were never done at max level, you were still required to xp to improve your character... this promotes grouping and social interaction in the game.

Grouping... this is how you learn to play your class.  You suck, you do not get groups its simple. 

Item rolls.  Get rid of this need greed shit.  Grouping is not required any more so people don't care if they need everything.  If you add this feature.. make it so the group leader can set specific paramaters such as NBG (where need means you can use... make it so you cannot click need if you cannot use it if NBG is selected)

Let me know when a decent game that gets rid of questing and promotes interaction comes back please.. I hate WoW and all the new WoW games, thats what they all are.