Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

you ruined me SWTOR, you ruined me

Comments

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by zymurgeist

Originally posted by sanosukex

Originally posted by ianicus

In the end it doesnt matter what any of us think, if one enjoys it, perfect, a happy customer, if one does not, oh well you cant please everyone, and that is the ONLY fact that matters here. No matter what a company does they will not create a game that will make everyone happy, period. Bioware was trying to create a game that would be reasonably fun and make some money at the same time, have they done this? most likely. 

What I am really tired of on this website is all the folks out there expecting companies to make them a game that will somehow "change thier lives" or "make them whole" its kind of pathetic acctualy. These are video games guys, if you want a real sandbox expierience go outdoors, climb a cliff, ride a mountain bike, learn how to cook...for real....Im sorry but more an more mmo players are just looking to replace thier lives with a game and its sickening.

i was just looking a decent sci-fi MMO that didn't copy and paste everything from the past 15 years aside from full VO.. guess I'm being WAY to picky though..

If you were looking at SWTOR I can't imagine what you were thinking. It's like buying ice cream and complaining because it's cold. Again and again and again. Time to get over it. Oh look there's a whole bunch of people bitching about Tera. Time to move the herd on to the next corral. Head 'em, up move 'em out there Rowdy.

Tera isn't really that good.. blade & soul combat is a ton better hopefully that game will get a NA release.. either way I still don't get the atiitude you SHOULD of been expecting exactly what was released and blah blah blah.. bottom line for me this game does not feel like the most expensive MMO ever created and in many ways feels worse than games like Rift on the MMO side.  Game is a letdown to me and many others plain and simple.. I don't feel I had any sort of insane expectations at all,  not even close.

You are the steady drumbeat of rain on an empty city. No one hears you because it's all just white noise that never changes.

This. Same thing over and over and over and over again every day for a hundred times in every TOR related thread out there and half of the threads that has nothing to do with TOR. I hate carrots.

I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I love orange colour but I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I love orange colour so I should love carrots but they taste like shit so I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I would like to know why you like carrots? I hate carrots. I hate carrots. - "I like carrots because they make a nice crunching sound when I bite them" - The sound is boring as hell for me. I hate carrots I hate carrots.

You hate carrots, because you dont like the taste, that's okay. You like the colour but not the taste, not even the crunching sound. Everyone gets it. Mission accomplished.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Kuinn

In the end it doesnt matter what any of us think, if one enjoys it, perfect, a happy customer, if one does not, oh well you cant please everyone, and that is the ONLY fact that matters here. No matter what a company does they will not create a game that will make everyone happy, period. Bioware was trying to create a game that would be reasonably fun and make some money at the same time, have they done this? most likely. 

What I am really tired of on this website is all the folks out there expecting companies to make them a game that will somehow "change thier lives" or "make them whole" its kind of pathetic acctualy. These are video games guys, if you want a real sandbox expierience go outdoors, climb a cliff, ride a mountain bike, learn how to cook...for real....Im sorry but more an more mmo players are just looking to replace thier lives with a game and its sickening.

i was just looking a decent sci-fi MMO that didn't copy and paste everything from the past 15 years aside from full VO.. guess I'm being WAY to picky though..

If you were looking at SWTOR I can't imagine what you were thinking. It's like buying ice cream and complaining because it's cold. Again and again and again. Time to get over it. Oh look there's a whole bunch of people bitching about Tera. Time to move the herd on to the next corral. Head 'em, up move 'em out there Rowdy.

Tera isn't really that good.. blade & soul combat is a ton better hopefully that game will get a NA release.. either way I still don't get the atiitude you SHOULD of been expecting exactly what was released and blah blah blah.. bottom line for me this game does not feel like the most expensive MMO ever created and in many ways feels worse than games like Rift on the MMO side.  Game is a letdown to me and many others plain and simple.. I don't feel I had any sort of insane expectations at all,  not even close.

You are the steady drumbeat of rain on an empty city. No one hears you because it's all just white noise that never changes.

This. Same thing over and over and over and over again every day for a hundred times in every TOR related thread out there and half of the threads that has nothing to do with TOR. I hate carrots.

I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I love orange colour but I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I love orange colour so I should love carrots but they taste like shit so I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I hate carrots. I would like to know why you like carrots? I hate carrots. I hate carrots. - "I like carrots because they make a nice crunching sound when I bite them" - The sound is boring as hell for me. I hate carrots I hate carrots.

You hate carrots, because you dont like the taste, that's okay. You like the colour but not the taste, not even the crunching sound. Everyone gets it. Mission accomplished.

how is any fanboy thread any differn't? at least I could show you video of my issues.. never seen any of this great video from the games loyal supporters..

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

Originally posted by eddieg50

The first mmo i ever played was Ever quest, I thought it was an interesting and fascinating idea and looked like alot of fun but I could not really play it on my Pentium pro, I than tried UO and could not fall in love with its top down, skills progression system, then came Shadowbane, no quests (which took me time to get used to) but a great grouping game with incredible suspense, you could even build your own city, The bugs though were freaky-you could shoot at people half a world away and hit them LOL and the game much to my regret faded into oblivion.

I started playing vanilla wow and enjoyed its quests and challenging combat, it was the perfect game for a casual semi hc player like myself, but i could not stick with it as it lacked the suspense of Shadowbane, I then Beta tested Vanguard and thought "what a charming game but you need a monster computer to run it, we told dev to make sure they optimized it but alas they did not and lost most of their pop and the game has not recovered.

I played other mmo's Eve, Eq2, lotro (it almost had me hooked with its beautiful graphics and sound and great story line) Fe, darkfall, etc and then I  met AOC and it enthralled me with its neat combo system of combat and it super graphics combined with its great story, cut scenes and voice overs. Then I left Tortage and it was like someone kicked me in the stomach, no more voice overs,cut scenes I also realized that if you chose a melee character you would be seriously compromised in PvP, they had huge walls of text to make up for the lack of vo , who wanted to read that!!! and if you did stop to read you could be attacked by other players-no thanks.

Swtor than came into my life, like a sweet breeze blowing through your hair on a hot day, It was filled with great star wars story , cut scenes, voice overs , a similar but better combat system than Wow.  This game brought Suspense back to me, there was political intrigue, betrayal,friendships made and broken.  I found myself grouping and i rarely group in games and darn I WAS ENJOYING IT. Social points how cool was that.  The first time I played Kotar I felt the same way, I was home and they say you can never go home again-not true. Another poster commented that it is not necessarily all the features in a game that make it fun , but it is that one or two or three features that you can grab onto that lead the way.

The last couple of weeks I have tried other Mmo's and it was not the same , the wall of text was a wall to continuation for me, the combat blah, the story non existent (except in lotro) where are the vo/cut scenes that bring my game to life and provide me with immersion so I feel like I am in the game, where is the intrigue, the fun and funny companions, the story, story , story, where is it? No where my friend and that is why SWTOR has ruined me for other MMO's. Yes for the first time in my life I am not playing an mmo for one or two months and than switching to another.  There is no place like Home.

Nice to see a positive post in the hurricane of hatred.

I am in the same camp as you. I have 8 characters and only one at 50. I love the fact that each class has a very different feel when it comes to the story. Even if a lot of the open world questing is the same, it feels so different to me because of my mind set based on the story of my class. No other MMO has made me care about my class and story like TOR. I just can't get enough and am hooked for a long time.

Thanks for the post OP. I am trying to stay far away from places like this because of the discusting posts after a games launch. But I do look for info from time to time. Glad I saw this. Didn't even bother to read any of the garbage I know fills the rest of this thread.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

how is any fanboy thread any differn't? at least I could show you video of my issues.. never seen any of this great video from the games loyal supporters..

No no you're right, any fanboy thread is no different, I just dont see any fanboys spamming something a hundred times daily over and over again. So you have proven some point that you have been trying to prove, mission accomplished, you have already won. Can you tell me what the ultimate goal is beyond that? What are you trying to accomplish? Just make me understand what there is beyond the fact that this game has very little that you like and you feel the need to let everyone know it to no end every day.

No no you're right, any fanboy thread is no different, I just dont see any fanboys spamming something a hundred times daily over and over again. So you have proven some point that you have been trying to prove, mission accomplished, you have already won. Can you tell me what the ultimate goal is beyond that? What are you trying to accomplish? Just make me understand what there is beyond the fact that this game has very little that you like and you feel the need to let everyone know it to no end every day.

it's my hopes they will fix the issues I have with this game then I can actually enjoy it.. many say well move on go to something else.. that's all well and good but how many sci-fi mmo's are out there? and how many decent ones? almost 0

one thing that can influence change in MMOs is if enough people complain about a certain aspect things can get changed, thats the beauty of the MMO. More people that here these complaints the more might complain to bioware and possibly we will see some of these changes.. maybe it will happen maybe not but like I said before I'm a huge star wars fan and and pretty big bioware fanboy myself  so it's not so easy to just move on as you guys say..

oh and yes there are fanboys oh spam the same thing on here over and over everyday don't kid yourself.. just the displeasing threads are more common..

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

swtor is heavily instanced/phased... fact

It's not as heavily instanced now that the population has subsided, still has zones and phases, but heavily zoned compared to what? Is it heavily zoned compared to AOC?, is it heavily zoned compared to CO or STO?

swtor has linear planet design and questing.... fact

Questing is always going to be linear, have you been to hoth? What about Tatt? What about Ilum? Again linear compared to what? Linear means guided, and only guided as in there's no freedom to do anything else. No MMORPG is truly linear, I'm up for further debate on this topic if you are...

swtor gives only a couple of actual skills though talents..... fact

Define this a little? What do you mean by a couple? Also only in reference to actives?

swtor does not have 200 hours of unique content per class.... fact

Bioware never even claimed this was a fact..

swtor dialogue choices do not have major impacts in your overall story and the world around.... fact

You decide whether people live or die who are involved in the story, in any other medium these are considerind major events that impact the overall story. Also learn the difference between marketing and reality, it will reduce the impact of your letdown.

only thing on my list you could argue would be the word "heavily" and whats considered "unique" please explain to me how everything esle is not a fact

That's all that can be argued?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

swtor is heavily instanced/phased... fact

It's not as heavily instanced now that the population has subsided, still has zones and phases, but heavily zoned compared to what? Is it heavily zoned compared to AOC?, is it heavily zoned compared to CO or STO?

red and green doors are all over not to include all the instancing required to get to your ship then to planet or fleet.. but like I said heavily could be looked at either way I'd say it's heavily instanced/phased compare to a traditional themepark mmo like wow.. also if phasing is dieing down the population must be struggling.. 

swtor has linear planet design and questing.... fact

Questing is always going to be linear, have you been to hoth? What about Tatt? What about Ilum? Again linear compared to what? Linear means guided, and only guided as in there's no freedom to do anything else. No MMORPG is truly linear, I'm up for further debate on this topic if you are. questing is generally linear but the planets are not desgned to feel very open.. yes I been to tatt and its not as open as you guys make it out to be.. never playing this game did I feel the urge to just wander off and explore an area.. i remember in vanilla wow back in the day I did this all the time.. even in TERA(although i'm not liking the game much) the enviornments are very well done you actually want to explore them

swtor gives only a couple of actual skills though talents..... fact

Define this a little? What do you mean by a couple? Also only in reference to actives?

ok ill do numbers you get basically 2-3 active skills if you go all out in a tree if you hybrid you get about the same.. so yes only a "couple" and obviously I mean active skills who considers +5% crit a skill

swtor does not have 200 hours of unique content per class.... fact

Bioware never even claimed this was a fact..

they did just goggle ea claims 200 hours swtor and you can read it.. now you can play with their words how you want

swtor dialogue choices do not have major impacts in your overall story and the world around.... fact

You decide whether people live or die who are involved in the story, in any other medium these are considerind major events that impact the overall story. Also learn the difference between marketing and reality, it will reduce the impact of your letdown

its been talked about before but many of those "choices" are illusions you think you get choices in many events but at the end of the day your story progresses the same way you always end up on x planet at x time in your class story no matter what choices you make. Many times I have found you choose a live or die options and no matter what they live so what's it matter.. there's very few times in my time playing I felt anything i choose in my main class story made a impact in what ended up happening.

only thing on my list you could argue would be the word "heavily" and whats considered "unique" please explain to me how everything esle is not a fact

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

red and green doors are all over not to include all the instancing required to your ship then to planet or fleet.. but like I said heavily could be looked at either way I'd say it's heavily instanced/phased compare to a traditional themepark mmo like wow.. also if phasing is dieing down the population must be struggling.. 

Those Doors hardy cover a blip on an overall map though. Especially as you get higher in level and visit the more open planets. Tatt is little compared to hoth as an example.

questing is generally linear but the planets are not desgned to feel very open.. yes I been to tatt and its not as open as you guys make it out to be

AGain Tatt is where the game starts to open up, it only gets more and more open after. As in less linear... Also you see less and less of those doors you were compaining about earlier, as at a point the focus shifts from a higher percentage of class related quests to a higher focus on world related activities.

ok ill do numbers you get basically 2-3 active skills if you go all out in a tree if you hybrid you get about the same.. so yes only a "couple"

Don't forget about passive skills though, that was my point.

they did just goggle ea claims 200 hours swtor and you can read it.. now you can play with their words how you want

I take it you never read Daniel Erickson's explanation of this number, nor followed the SKyrim discussions on the topic of 100's vs 5 hours of game-play?

its been talked about before but many of those "choices" are illusions you think you get choices in many events but at the end of the day your story progresses the same way you always end up on x planet at x time in your class story no matter what choices you make.

Most decisions again revolve around who lives and who dies.

I'm just pointing out why you're getting so many arguments based on the fact vs opinion thing. A lot of this is open to interpretation, as well as the angle the topic is approached from.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

Originally posted by Distopia

I'm just pointing out why you're getting so many arguments based on the fact vs opinion thing. A lot of this is open to interpretation, as well as the angle the topic is approached from.

point taken words can be scewed in so many ways nobody can tell whats fact or fiction whats real or not.. reason why i don't follow politics or religion..

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

as long as there is a spacebar .. it doesnt matter to me if there is text or vo. vo was great the first time through. reminded me of why I like single player games. the second time through it bored me to tears.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

Originally posted by azmundai

as long as there is a spacebar .. it doesnt matter to me if there is text or vo. vo was great the first time through. reminded me of why I like single player games. the second time through it bored me to tears.

which was sort of the point in having a choice based questing it would make playing alts more fun.. but then you find out your actual choices don't make as big impact as they marketed and it's a let down in this aspect.. 

Anyway, they wont change the combat, it will remain as a tab target traditional RPG combat like in most of their other games, like it was intented, they might tweak it in direction or another but not change it, there's people like me who actually enjoys that kind of combat.

Propably same with the talents, they will tweak them but not overhaul it, anytime soon at least, because a lot of people dont see much issues there, so yes, you are propably better off just not clinging to the game as it has way too much going on that is simply not to your personal taste, not neccessarily a problem at all, just not for you.

Raining about it on mmorpg.com wont make them overhaul the game, that's a fact.

i'm fine with tab target combat it's the abilities themselves are to similar to everyone elses abilities when I play I just don't find much variety in the skills.. as for talents well see wow redid their whole system a few times but yes it took awhile for that to happen but you would think developers would learn.. guess not.. 

also never said game needed a complete overhaul for the millionth time people putting words in my mouth

I've played several classes now past 20 in TOR and I find the classes different enough. Then there's the fact that there's only so much you can do differently untill you go past the stupid-different mark. You need slow and big nukes, spammable more fast abilities, aoe abilities etc, and there's only so many ways you can do it. I've heard some people (including you at some point too if I recall right) saying that WoW for example had a lot more unique and interesting classes, which cannot be taken seriously when it has samekind of class structure like any themepark/rpg, each class has abilities suitable to every situation with their own twist.

Just for example, as I play my sniper I use cover all the time ofcourse and I'm quite a bit stationary. I use active shields alot and CC. Then I ofcourse have my castable dps abilities, instant ones etc etc + some combo moves like clusterbombs that gets activated by blasterfire only.

Then when I play my trooper, I have a lot more direct approach, in fact, commando dps is a lot more straight forward and requires no conditions at all unlike the sniper, I could argue it's a lot more boring but I feel it suits the class quite well, you have heavy armour and keep the trigger pulled untill everything stops moving.

When I play my juggernaut I have to use a dozen different abilites almost every fight, it's more cooldown and rage management game with a lot of abilities.

Then there's the stealth classes who obviously has stealth as their trick + they need more positioning and whatnot, havent looked into that much yet.

They all play quite differently and that's not an opinion.

What comes to the talents, for me they are fine for the most part, and I dont feel the need for more active abilities, that's an opinion. In other words, I dont feel the developers should have learned anything on this department since it's fine.

Quest based leveling is ofcourse linear, story is linear, in how many different ways are you supposed to go to cantina X in planet Y to shoot person Z? Also about the red/green instance markers, if they are not areas for you, just ignore them and focus on those areas that are ment to be open or for your own story, it's really easy. What would suck would be to see some random Joes running around on the background when I'm doing my own damn class story lol. I get it those areas are story areas and it stops being a problem.

Those are not issues with the game, they are design choises, issues are stuff like bugs, missing tools (LFG, map browsing, combat log etc), guild function and so on.

• echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Originally posted by echolynfan

Yep - and you get that with SWTOR - and then you hit 50 and realize (like I did) that this is a giant polished turd. I had such high hopes for SWTOR which makes the disappointment even greater. I can't believe they spent millions of dollars on that piece of crap.

I WAS one of the bigger supporters of SWTOR on this and other forums - was in Beta and bought 2 copies of the Deluxe Edition (my wife never made it past 30 before proclaiming it crap) so I'm not talking outta my ass.

Broken game - broken raiding - broken PVP - worthless crafting and an even worse Space Mini-game. BW hit a milestone LOW with this MMO.

Wow, can't say I'm surprised some are changing their tune but a bit surprised how severe your opinion changed. Really does say something considering how much of an avid supporter of this game you were.

Can't say my opinion has changed yet. Although I never thought this game was anything special or great to begin with. About the only thing that has changed for me is how amazed I am at how badly they have managed server populations and due to how low some are in people it just highlights how awful their lfg mechanics are.

No one was more surprised than me - when I got to end game and found out there was none I was pissed because I didn't listen to people here (probably because I didn't want to believe it)

If you like to do dungeons and raids as nauseum (and I hate them) and especially like them bugged and broken - then SWTOR might be for you. PVP is just a pathestic joke - and not because of the lack of WZ's or world PVP (because that can be added later) but the dev team really doesn't understand PVP...plain and simple.

There needs to be other things to do in an MMO than raid and PVP anyway. Crafting is a horrid joke and is useless at level cap which leaves the Space game which still has me laughing.

Biofail has created an MMO hoax in SWTOR - sold it as such and gave us a single player game with grouping and a sub cost.

Disappointed and pissed just doesn't cover it for me. SWG had more to do at launch than SWTOR so don't give me that crap about giving them more time...that won't fix the problem. The design of SWTOR and the dev team ARE the problems and unless those are changed SWTOR will die a slow painful death.

{mod edit}

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

I've played several classes now past 20 in TOR and I find the classes different enough. Then there's the fact that there's only so much you can do differently untill you go past the stupid-different mark. You need slow and big nukes, spammable more fast abilities, aoe abilities etc, and there's only so many ways you can do it. I've heard some people (including you at some point too if I recall right) saying that WoW for example had a lot more unique and interesting classes, which cannot be taken seriously when it has samekind of class structure like any themepark/rpg, each class has abilities suitable to every situation with their own twist.

Just for example, as I play my sniper I use cover all the time ofcourse and I'm quite a bit stationary. I use active shields alot and CC. Then I ofcourse have my castable dps abilities, instant ones etc etc + some combo moves like clusterbombs that gets activated by blasterfire only.

Then when I play my trooper, I have a lot more direct approach, in fact, commando dps is a lot more straight forward and requires no conditions at all unlike the sniper, I could argue it's a lot more boring but I feel it suits the class quite well, you have heavy armour and keep the trigger pulled untill everything stops moving.

When I play my juggernaut I have to use a dozen different abilites almost every fight, it's more cooldown and rage management game with a lot of abilities.

Then there's the stealth classes who obviously has stealth as their trick + they need more positioning and whatnot, havent looked into that much yet.

What comes to the talents, for me they are fine for the most part, and I dont feel the need for more active abilities, that's an opinion. In other words, I dont feel the developers should have learned anything on this department since it's fine.

Quest based leveling is ofcourse linear, story is linear, in how many different ways are you supposed to go to cantina X in planet Y to shoot person Z? Also about the red/green instance markers, if they are not areas for you, just ignore them and focus on those areas that are ment to be open or for your own story, it's really easy. What would suck would be to see some random Joes running around on the background when I'm doing my own damn class story lol. I get it those areas are story areas and it stops being a problem.

Those are not issues with the game, they are design choises, issues are stuff like bugs, missing tools (LFG, map browsing, combat log etc), guild function and so on.

For starters I never claimed wow has more interesting classes.. i haven't played wow in years so I can't even remember let alone care to compare the classes gameplay to wow.  For me it's mostly about the choices.. I still feel classes play to similar but it may also be they play so similar to other MMOs i get that deja vu feeling no matter what class I play. Anyway back to the choices when I play a class I like not being stuck with the same skills, same playstyle, same everything forever. Now yes you get two roles on most classes to pick from so there's a little wiggle room but overall you are very stuck in your role and have very few options. I probably got spoiled a little in rift but in rift I was able to basically use a complete differn't skill set and complete differn't playstyle every 10 levels if I saw fit to do so. At 50 I had such an insane number of soul combinations I could build anything I wanted. Here I basically have two roles and to change I first need to pay for a respec. Then the actual role difference skill wise is very very miniscule. Like i said earlier having so few actual skills in the trees makes it so the actual flexability in the talent trees becomes almost nothing. My commando will play the exact same as your commando and so forth..  I like choices and feel this game goes out of its way to lessen the choices in so many aspects of the game.

I agree questing will always be linear but It can be varied.. upto 30 almost every quest was a go kill this person or go find me this glowing thing.. the story sprused it up a lot but overall it was all the same. I think I had a total of 1 escort quest the entire time I played this game. Just overall I think they could of done a lot more with the questing to make it feel more dynamic and interesting. The dialogue shouldn't be the best part of the quests.

Yes you can ignore all the red doors and al lthe instancing and phasing but doesn't mean it's not all over and doesn't bother some people. Same with the repeated dialogue and the clones all over the place and the static npcs, the static weather, ect... it's all there you see it everywhere it just doesn't bother everyone but it certainly does bother some people.

now yes this was mostly all design desicion stuff although I feel a lot of things feel very rushed and it's if bioware had some ideas but didn't get time to finish so instead they scrapped stuff to get that christmas release... why in the hell they decided some of this was a good idea I have no clue but either way I'm still hoping for changes. Well see what direction the game takes in the coming months with a couple new AAA games for it to go up against.. well see if Bioware really goes with player feedback or still feels they know what game everyone really wants..

For starters I never claimed wow has more interesting classes.. i haven't played wow in years so I can't even remember let alone care to compare the classes gameplay to wow.  For me it's mostly about the choices.. I still feel classes play to similar but it may also be they play so similar to other MMOs i get that deja vu feeling no matter what class I play. Anyway back to the choices when I play a class I like not being stuck with the same skills, same playstyle, same everything forever. Now yes you get two roles on most classes to pick from so there's a little wiggle room but overall you are very stuck in your role and have very few options. I probably got spoiled a little in rift but in rift I was able to basically use a complete differn't skill set and complete differn't playstyle every 10 levels if I saw fit to do so. At 50 I had such an insane number of soul combinations I could build anything I wanted. Here I basically have two roles and to change I first need to pay for a respec. Then the actual role difference skill wise is very very miniscule. Like i said earlier having so few actual skills in the trees makes it so the actual flexability in the talent trees becomes almost nothing. My commando will play the exact same as your commando and so forth..  I like choices and feel this game goes out of its way to lessen the choices in so many aspects of the game.

I played Rift enough to learn that my choise among the souls were along the common lines, they are still just cast time nuke, instant nuke, spammable, dot etc etc. So I'm not sure what you mean by this. Maybe the illusion is enough? You said that dialog choise is just an illusion, sure, computer games to begin with are just illusions.

Just for the record, one thing I didnt like in Rift was that I couldnt find an identity for my char when I could just instantly turn from firemage to healing druid, one big reason why I didnt like that game, like Batman transforming to Superman at will, it takes away the identity and uniqueness of "class". Any game could break their classes just into a huge pool of abilities and let people build their own classes, however it's not a coincidence that very few games uses this kind of system, and FOTM specs are not the only reason for that.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I said you may be a troll because your comment was negative without advancing the arguement, it was insults vs constructive crit, you were assuming without facts and you were just trying to get a reaction were'nt you?

why were many of my responses 1 sentance? Because unllike wow i dont need to put a wall of text out there to answer someones question.    Why do people find this an amazing game?  There are 17 pages here that answer this question!!!!   We get it you dont like the game, I cannot say what has allready been said

curious why hang out here on a sunday defending a such great game and not go play.. for me If I really had something I wanted to play I'd probably be doing that not on here trying to find some glimmer of hope for this game. 

i asked earlier in this thread why YOU personally feel this is such a wonderful game and I yet to hear any sort of answer to that other than "story is great"

"why hang out here on a Sunday" ROFL my God man you really are desperate, all your questions have been asked and answered , do have a nice Sunday lol

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Originally posted by Normike

The suspense is hot. It's not suspense like sitting on the edge of your seat, dripping with sweat, stunned that one of main story characters just got their head chopped off, like a Game of Thrones type book. But you do have a nice interest in finding out whats gonna happen next.

The imperial agent storyline is damn good. DAMN GOOD. Even the voice actor was sickening (awesome). The jedi knight storyline was interesting enough for me to keep going till the end. No major OMG plot twists but it was ok. The "OMG" part is trying to figure out if I could ever go back to another MMO that didn't have story woven into the game like this. Thx SWTOR, I'm ruined too...

What suspense? These story lines are hackneyed at best. The only "twist" in either that I have seen is in one you get betrayed. Which omg llike can't see it comeing since for about the second half of the chapter you only get warned by everyone that she will betray you.

...and the other ended up working for the other side. Which I must say couldn't see that coming but considering they hardly used the character at all can't say I doubt anyone much cared. I didn't realize who the hell they were even talking about at first because he's hardly used at all but then you're supposed to be shocked I suppose when he ends up betraying you. It lacks any depth and very few notable characters. Not to mention there aren't any climactic builds at all.

It isn't like video games have the greatest wrap for storytelling anyways so not trying to take the game to task over it. I'll take a main story or plot driving the game and world over this though. Simply feels watered down because I guess they had so much to write for. I don't think the story telling in this game is noteworthy in the least outside of maybe a few 'haha hehe' moments for KOTOR fans.

Also, even though you did say it's "suspense" wasn't on the same level as Game of Thrones to even use the two in a comparison on any level other than to compare good story telling to well...you get the idea...is simply wrong on so many levels.

Sorry wicked we dont agree with you, compare the story lines in all mmo's and tell me who has better ones than SWTOR

Originally posted by artemisentr4

The first mmo i ever played was Ever quest, I thought it was an interesting and fascinating idea and looked like alot of fun but I could not really play it on my Pentium pro, I than tried UO and could not fall in love with its top down, skills progression system, then came Shadowbane, no quests (which took me time to get used to) but a great grouping game with incredible suspense, you could even build your own city, The bugs though were freaky-you could shoot at people half a world away and hit them LOL and the game much to my regret faded into oblivion.

I started playing vanilla wow and enjoyed its quests and challenging combat, it was the perfect game for a casual semi hc player like myself, but i could not stick with it as it lacked the suspense of Shadowbane, I then Beta tested Vanguard and thought "what a charming game but you need a monster computer to run it, we told dev to make sure they optimized it but alas they did not and lost most of their pop and the game has not recovered.

I played other mmo's Eve, Eq2, lotro (it almost had me hooked with its beautiful graphics and sound and great story line) Fe, darkfall, etc and then I  met AOC and it enthralled me with its neat combo system of combat and it super graphics combined with its great story, cut scenes and voice overs. Then I left Tortage and it was like someone kicked me in the stomach, no more voice overs,cut scenes I also realized that if you chose a melee character you would be seriously compromised in PvP, they had huge walls of text to make up for the lack of vo , who wanted to read that!!! and if you did stop to read you could be attacked by other players-no thanks.

Swtor than came into my life, like a sweet breeze blowing through your hair on a hot day, It was filled with great star wars story , cut scenes, voice overs , a similar but better combat system than Wow.  This game brought Suspense back to me, there was political intrigue, betrayal,friendships made and broken.  I found myself grouping and i rarely group in games and darn I WAS ENJOYING IT. Social points how cool was that.  The first time I played Kotar I felt the same way, I was home and they say you can never go home again-not true. Another poster commented that it is not necessarily all the features in a game that make it fun , but it is that one or two or three features that you can grab onto that lead the way.

The last couple of weeks I have tried other Mmo's and it was not the same , the wall of text was a wall to continuation for me, the combat blah, the story non existent (except in lotro) where are the vo/cut scenes that bring my game to life and provide me with immersion so I feel like I am in the game, where is the intrigue, the fun and funny companions, the story, story , story, where is it? No where my friend and that is why SWTOR has ruined me for other MMO's. Yes for the first time in my life I am not playing an mmo for one or two months and than switching to another.  There is no place like Home.

Nice to see a positive post in the hurricane of hatred.

I am in the same camp as you. I have 8 characters and only one at 50. I love the fact that each class has a very different feel when it comes to the story. Even if a lot of the open world questing is the same, it feels so different to me because of my mind set based on the story of my class. No other MMO has made me care about my class and story like TOR. I just can't get enough and am hooked for a long time.

Thanks for the post OP. I am trying to stay far away from places like this because of the discusting posts after a games launch. But I do look for info from time to time. Glad I saw this. Didn't even bother to read any of the garbage I know fills the rest of this thread.

Art; you, me and the people who love SWTOR understand that a good story along with vo and cs are what make it fun and immersive and interesting, the others dont get it, or they dont read ,or dont love movies, and certainly that is ok for them but why do they have to post time and again about there SWTOR hatred?

I played Rift enough to learn that my choise among the souls were along the common lines, they are still just cast time nuke, instant nuke, spammable, dot etc etc. So I'm not sure what you mean by this. Maybe the illusion is enough? You said that dialog choise is just an illusion, sure, computer games to begin with are just illusions.

Just for the record, one thing I didnt like in Rift was that I couldnt find an identity for my char when I could just instantly turn from firemage to healing druid, one big reason why I didnt like that game, like Batman transforming to Superman at will, it takes away the identity and uniqueness of "class". Any game could break their classes just into a huge pool of abilities and let people build their own classes, however it's not a coincidence that very few games uses this kind of system, and FOTM specs are not the only reason for that.

Rift is an interesting combo of Guild wars and wow and every other mmo it seems, again not a bad game but gets dull fast, and the many use of skills which at first intrigeing become diffused and you find yourself wondering who you are and what your identity is. The story line is sad at best and of course limited vo and cs , just like all your other mmo's. fun factor in this game is average, it seems to have its fans but you never really hear any super enthusiasm for rift, it is the Al Gore of MMO's and i say this as a democrat

• DJJazzyDJJazzy Member UncommonPosts: 2,053

Glad you are enjoying the game OP. I'm having fun with it although there are enough irritants in the game that may make me quit the game rather soon,

Regarding the story, I think the stories are a bit hit and miss in the game. I started off with the Jedi Knight, still at level 40 with that one, and frankly was a bit disappointed by the story overall. It seemed more like a superhero story. However, my next character has been an Imperial Agent, currently in the third chapter, and have to say that the story is much better than the JK one.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Of the ones I've tried, the bounty hunter story has been my favorite. Nothing beats bringing in a person's head for payment ;)

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft