Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World from Funcom. What's your Say?

Comments

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217

So refreshing not watching elves, gnomes and cows running around. Gotta love the atmosphere.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

• Modern setting +2

• Abilities as progression +2

• Interesting quest mechanics +1

• Lack of levels +1

• Clothing =/= gear +2

• Access to every ability so long as you unlock it +5

• Funcom -3

• Wonky princing model -0.5

• Funcom -1

• Subpar Production Company (*Cough* EA) -2

Total +6.5; I'm sold on the game itself, everything it has to offer. The only thing holding me back is Funcom + EA.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• injenuinjenu Member CommonPosts: 142

Originally posted by Sora2810

• Modern setting +2

• Abilities as progression +2

• Interesting quest mechanics +1

• Lack of levels +1

• Clothing =/= gear +2

• Access to every ability so long as you unlock it +5

• Funcom -3

• Wonky princing model -0.5

• Funcom -1

• Subpar Production Company (*Cough* EA) -2

Total +6.5; I'm sold on the game itself, everything it has to offer. The only thing holding me back is Funcom + EA.

Based on previous experience with Funcom's abuse of their version of a cash shop, the game will be Grind for 21239 hours, or spend 10 bucks on whatever you were grinding for - Mark my words.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by fenistil
    Game itself = ok

Business model (box+sub+cash shop) = not ok

either sub or cash shop for me not both

/pass

They never said what subscription route their going last time i checked..

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648

Originally posted by Zlayer77

Originally posted by kevjards

i am looking forward to TSW .what i dont understand is some of the annimosity against funcom.yeah they screwed up with AOC,everyone knows that..but that is one game against  a few ,the rest that i know or heard of were good.everyone is entitled to their opinion but for me even after AOC i,m gonna check this game out..nothing i've bought in the last 3yrs has been good and that includes the most recent addition swtor.so has they say 'Bring it on'

You know I read the same types of post when AOC was coming out that you just made . But then the old and wise players were pointing out what A horrible Fail Anarchy online was ( for your information that was the game Funcom made before Age of Conan)

It whent a little like this " What I dont understand is some of the annimosity against funcomm yeah they screwed up the launch of Anarchy online, everyone knows that, but that is one game against .. this time they will make it right..." Old saying fool me once shame on you fool me twice shame on me.. I think it holds true here. If you still want to give them your money its your money not mine... but if you are so easaly parted with it why dont give me a donation on my pay pall account I could sure use some extra cash...

Anarchy was not a fail mmo ( comming from a older mmo player ). I think you just hate the fact that Funcom is behind it, god hate it when peopel use the word " Fail " on everything now adays, makes me think thats the only thing you guys can say, no constructive thinking regarding the negative things some of these games have.

It's fine and dandy that you won't play the game, thats great actualy then less of you in game and more of you in WoW, this is a adult related mmo. Sorry if i'm going off the deep end here, but these comments? Really? If you have never tried something why comment? Just shows people how much at life you " Fail " when you bring stuff like that up.

• Hopscotch73Hopscotch73 Member UncommonPosts: 971

I've been watching this game for a long time. I understand people being wary about Funcom, but I've been following because of Ragnar Tornquist, and because the whole Lovecraftian vibeand the idea of the puzzles just grabbed me.

I've been avoiding reading much about the game so I can manage my own expectations for it. What I do know about it has been enough to make me decide that I'll buy it. As far as I'm concerned, I'll buy it, play my 'free' month and see how I feel about it then.

I'm not expecting perfection at launch, but then I never do...

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by Siveria

I honestly expect it to just be another shitty wow-like themepark myself, since thats all devs will bother trying to make since its successful. People getting your hopes up for TSW and GW2 will most likely be sorely dissapointed just like with all the other mmo's since wow's release. You may call me a troll, but deep down you know I am most likely correct.

Take some advice: Don't believe any of the hype, assume the game will be shit until you play it, most likely there will be a open beta, don't listen to hype and the fanboys who have never played the game yet either. This way if the game does turn out to be shit well, you won't be as annoyed/mad about it, and if it turns out to be good, well you'll be pleasently surprized. its a kinda negative way of looking at things but its nice when your preconception of the game was wrong. Least if you thought it was gonna be shit in the first place. If its the opposite like so many people did with swtor you just get bitter and annoyed when the game totally fails to live up/be anything decent.

I'm waiting for pso2, since I already know its not going to be another boring themepark world of warcraft clone. GW2 I'll probally buy just because of the fact its a buy to play title, and I can always take a break and go back to it.

I do agree with you, players should be skeptical of any upcoming game.  Players should wait for reviews, or a free trial, or at least look for extensive gameplay footage before purchasing.

It almost seems like you're basing your opinion of TSW and GW2 not on anything having to do with the games themselves, but on what other games have been like over the past 7 years.  I would consider them both themeparks, but I don't think either of them will be very similar to WoW at all.

And if you're going to be pessimistic and assume that TSW and GW2 are going to be shit, then you should also assume PSO2 will be shit.  Not saying it will be, but just for consistency's sake.

On topic: what I've seen of TSW looks pretty good to me. 

Their cooperative quest structure and classless system seem like steps in the right direction, but I think GW2 is going further with dynamic events and no holy trinity.  With GW2 being B2P and TSW supposedly being P2P, it's kind of hard for me to get as excited about TSW as I probably would normally be.

The setting is great.  One thing I like is the way they were talking about altering missions for the different factions, like they're showing up to the same area at different times and dealing with the aftermaths of the other factions' versions. I don't know how much replayability there will be with the classless system, but at least this gives incentive for at least 3 playthroughs.

I'm a little worried about how big a role ARGs will play in the game.  Back when they were doing their beta start event, their website broke and there was a message saying it was delayed that was signed by "Hiram".  On their forum people suspected it was an ARG and started linking about 100 pages of random google search results for Hiram.  It freaks me out just to think about that. 

I am a little nervous about Funcom given their history.  I also don't know what to think about a game being able to announce an April release back in the previous August.  I'm definitely not going to preorder it.  I may or may not pick it up depending on reviews.

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by Netspook

Originally posted by TheSedated

Originally posted by BadSpock

This video made me not want to play TSW at all-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PC4FFoG4n8c

(It's legit - from E3 2011)

or this one.. which I think is from the same demo-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiioeQ5tXnU&feature=related

I mean... seriously. Besides the graphics, 2004-2011 called, they want their second generation MMO back! K thx bai

Ah, they want their second gen MMO back? Okay, would you tell me what "second gen MMO" features in TSW you think shouldn't be there anymore? You know, because just puking your opinion into a discussion without further information why you think your opinion is valid is just so...

Well... with the graphics... look at this one

http://www.betacake.net/2012/01/12/the-secret-world-15-mins-long-video/

(yeah, it's a beta-leak). I would say download it at best, because graphic wise it's awesome and the guy filming this video is limited to medium settings. The first video you posted was from E3... It was filmed with a camera filming the screen the demo was shown on.

I watched that 15 mins video. Limited to medium settings? It really looks more like extra low. Never expected the graphics to be this bad for a 2012 release.

graphics are not important. But the problem I have with it, is that it looks like you can only have 7 spells at a time.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• garrygarry Member Posts: 263

I do not expect to get too involved with the more tricky and intricate aspects of this game but intend to buy and play it because of the possibility of some new things to try in an MMO. So far I think it will be worth the investment. At least until the 'elites' have overwhelmed it (elites meaning PvP addicts, powerthru to end bois for example). Expect the 'balance' monitors to cause nerfs and reduce resources to the regular parts of the game, but still, I intend to give it a go. Who knows? Will still try it at least.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

Originally posted by Zlayer77

If you look at what games Funcom has made before.. AOC.. anarchy online. You know they never release a bug free product.

i was at both of those buggy launches

I do have interest in this game but will wait 2 months post launch before I go near it

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by cinos

For me the fact that there is so little information out about this game with less than 2 months to go till launch is setting off major alarm bells. By information, I don't mean lofty paper promises either. I mean substantial gameplay footage showing the mechanics at work that isn't nearly 2 years old.

Yes the press NDA lifts on the 21st, but honestly I have seen enough of this lack of information followed by floodgates opening scenario (regarding MMO's in the past) to know to stay the hell away at launch and for at least a few months there after.

Of course there is always the other reason to stay away at launch, Funcom, but then everyone has said that one already. :p

That's almost how I feel.

I don't really need a lot of "in" game information or hype.

The reason I have alarm bells going off is because they stated there is to be an open beta... 2 months out.. no word.. nothing...

There are no retailers taking orders for the game.   You cannot find it on gamestop.... amazon.. etc etc etc

Every other MMO is up for order the moment it is announced even if officially you can't order it until 3 years later...

^^  That to me is a HUGE alarm bell... because pricing etc should all be set now.   So every retailer out there should be taking orders even IF the game is delayed they should have an order page up for it...

If the game is going to be delayed that's fine...

Either way you should be able to pre-order it now.   If the game is not being delayed then seriously... what the hell?

• cali59cali59 Member Posts: 1,634

Originally posted by MMOExposed.

graphics are not important. But the problem I have with it, is that it looks like you can only have 7 spells at a time.

You choose 7 active skills at a time, but also 7 passive.  Here's a developer explanation of the system.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Uk57oisDDJ0#t=569s

"Gamers will no longer buy the argument that every MMO requires a subscription fee to offset server and bandwidth costs. It's not true – you know it, and they know it." -Jeff Strain, co-founder of ArenaNet, 2007

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't like Aoc, its a decent pve game but the pvp is well meh
    Ao is a great mmo though, sure it had a bad launch but once it git going it was really good.
    Ea are just a box distribution partner, funcom is still the publisher if you don't want ea getting your cash just download it.
    Sure its a themepark, but its harking back to
    older themepark like Ao, daoc & ac, it certainly isn't a wow clone
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's being in closed beta since may 2011
    Open beta starts end of this month
  • WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Again:  It's Funcom image

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Originally posted by Burngrass99

So what's your say about this game? Its from EA and funcom, they will let players decide what to do since there's no level and or class restriction. Damn this must be good!!!

I see TSW as a pack of wonderful features, wrapped up in the boring thin candy shell of mainstream themepark design.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Well, at least SOE arent involved....

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

Originally posted by Antarious

Originally posted by cinos

For me the fact that there is so little information out about this game with less than 2 months to go till launch is setting off major alarm bells. By information, I don't mean lofty paper promises either. I mean substantial gameplay footage showing the mechanics at work that isn't nearly 2 years old.

Yes the press NDA lifts on the 21st, but honestly I have seen enough of this lack of information followed by floodgates opening scenario (regarding MMO's in the past) to know to stay the hell away at launch and for at least a few months there after.

Of course there is always the other reason to stay away at launch, Funcom, but then everyone has said that one already. :p

That's almost how I feel.

I don't really need a lot of "in" game information or hype.

The reason I have alarm bells going off is because they stated there is to be an open beta... 2 months out.. no word.. nothing...

There are no retailers taking orders for the game.   You cannot find it on gamestop.... amazon.. etc etc etc

Every other MMO is up for order the moment it is announced even if officially you can't order it until 3 years later...

^^  That to me is a HUGE alarm bell... because pricing etc should all be set now.   So every retailer out there should be taking orders even IF the game is delayed they should have an order page up for it...

If the game is going to be delayed that's fine...

Either way you should be able to pre-order it now.   If the game is not being delayed then seriously... what the hell?

You can preorder the game in Norway. The reason for the delay in the rest of world is probably due to EA being the box partner and they have a deal to avoid competition with SWTOR.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Have you seen this game,  they will be having their beta soon. Details are at http://www.thesecretworld.com/gameplay

I've posted the game's trailer on my blogspot you can watch it here:

So what's your say about this game? Its from EA and funcom, they will let players decide what to do since there's no level and or class restriction. Damn this must be good!!!

Well...   It's EA...     And one thing I've learned about EA is that they're going to stick it to you in every way possible...    They did it with Madden...   They did it with The Sims....    They did it with DA2....   They did it with SWTOR...

I honestly can't think of a good experience where I got value to money and they didn't try to suck every possible penny out of me from Day 1...     They're worse than the IRS...

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by BilboDoggins
    Its a Themebox which is a huge positive and the setting is a breath of fresh air.  I don't think it will ever be a massive success no matter how good it is but it has EVE potential for sure and could carve out a nice spot in the genre for years.

Spot on. This game will be mecca to a respectable niche of gamers. It'll be enough to keep TSW up and running with expansions indefinitely.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Member UncommonPosts: 793

I think it looks cool, although I will not buy it right at launch just to be sure it's no Age of Conan.

I'm not realy worried EA is involved like others are. They don't have any say on development as far as I know. A company based in Europe like Funcom will need someone with a strong presence in North America, so I understand why EA was chosen. Quality gameplay and proving to customers the game isn't another unfinished MMO is what will determine its success.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

Originally posted by kevjards

i am looking forward to TSW .what i dont understand is some of the annimosity against funcom.yeah they screwed up with AOC,everyone knows that..but that is one game against  a few ,the rest that i know or heard of were good.everyone is entitled to their opinion but for me even after AOC i,m gonna check this game out..nothing i've bought in the last 3yrs has been good and that includes the most recent addition swtor.so has they say 'Bring it on'

Thats the problem, a lot of people thought once a publisher sucks in just one game doesnt mean they'll  be bad on the other games. But i think its a normal critical tihinking when you leave that kind of impression it's hard to get out.

You know, I say that about BioWare and their rail-crpgs...   Only for me, it's the decline, not the improvement.  

Just because Baldur's Gate II was one of the all-time greats doesn't mean they haven't been going downhill ever since...     Seems like every game they make has the same boring formula/story and more-and-more running-around-in-big-areas/canyons padding.  

I mean, seriously, I have the power to destroy the universe at my beck and call...   And I can't hop over a branch, climb down a 3 foot embankment or push through some bushes to go the 20' necessary to kill some bad guy...   Rather I have to run around this 'open area' that plays like it's just a big, long corridor until, after running a 1000'  and killing a bunch of low-level mobs, I finally arrive that 20' away?    Really?  

Anyway, I got tired of their games.   The plots are cliche, filled with  poorly executed sci-fi/fantasy tropes and MacGuffins.   Add in high-school romances and 8th-grade-wisecracking companions...     Just not worth my time or money.

Originally posted by Azmodai

What you on about? AOC is a great game now and anyone who says otherwise is still butthurt about how it was when it was first released. Keep your bs to urself, Funcom is a caipable company, they can make this work . They have the experience and the story in this game seems rather amazing, best of its kind in MMOs i would say.  People Loved Anarchy online and maybe you should try the game before judging.

I am Looking forward to TSW, seems like a really neat Idea, I hope they pull it off.

Ok.   When I quit SWTOR, I tried AoC.   I played it a couple of days...     The combat was amazing.  Some of the most 'heroic" combat I've evern played in an MMO.   I really felt in danger, yet capable of winning through my heroic endevours...

Game was still not very good though...    After two days...   Uninstall, move on...

• Cthulhu23Cthulhu23 Member Posts: 994

Originally posted by MosesZD

Originally posted by Azmodai

What you on about? AOC is a great game now and anyone who says otherwise is still butthurt about how it was when it was first released. Keep your bs to urself, Funcom is a caipable company, they can make this work . They have the experience and the story in this game seems rather amazing, best of its kind in MMOs i would say.  People Loved Anarchy online and maybe you should try the game before judging.

I am Looking forward to TSW, seems like a really neat Idea, I hope they pull it off.

Ok.   When I quit SWTOR, I tried AoC.   I played it a couple of days...     The combat was amazing.  Some of the most 'heroic" combat I've evern played in an MMO.   I really felt in danger, yet capable of winning through my heroic endevours...

Game was still not very good though...    After two days...   Uninstall, move on...

I attempted three separate times to get into AoC.  At launch, which was a disaster.  About 6 months after, which wasn't much better, and about 3 months ago.  The last stint was my longest.  It lasted about two weeks before I unistalled.  The combat is pretty cool, and the environments looks pretty nice.  But it's not a very fun game at all.  

So no...not everyone who thinks it's not a great game is "butthurt" about the poor launch, Azmodai.  Some of use have given the game a few shots.  It's just kinda...bleh.  

As for The Secret World, I'm going to expect the worst because it's Funcom, and hope for the best.  It's definitely an intriquing game.  But I'll probably wait for the reviews before I decide whether to jump in.  I'll be keeping an eye on it, though.