Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The Gamebreaker folks are ripping this game a new one

Comments

• AdamTMAdamTM Frankfurt Am MainPosts: 1,376Member

Originally posted by Alot

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by gaugemew

Originally posted by gaugemew

This hitboxes are somwhat normalized so that argument is immediately invalidated.  As far as providing less challenge then tab targeted systems.  I don't know how you could make that argument.  That's like saying farmville takes more skill than modern warefare....

There is a good chance that is in fact the case.

If you believe that, then you are disillusioned and no argument will convince your false belief.

Why so tense? I merely hinted at a chance, because let's face it, most modern FPSes don't necessarily require skill, no, they require reflexes. Try to be less cringeable next time you are conversating with me.

Reflex is a skill.

Its even a skill in D&D pnp.

I hereby present with the opportunity to improve your learning skill. Reflexes are instinctive.

This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.

It needs additional citations for verification. Tagged since October 2009.

It may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Tagged since January 2010.

It may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. Tagged since July 2010.

---

skill

noun /skil/ 

skills, plural

The ability to do something well; expertise

- difficult work, taking great skill

A particular ability

- the basic skills of cooking

Reflexes can be improved, trained and learned. Ask any person who does martial-arts, sports, etc.

Its, like everything, an ability that can be actively improved by practice/learning. Therefore it is a skill.

Even taking your faulty wikipedia entry:

A skill is the learned capacity to carry out pre-determined results often with the minimum outlay of time, energy, or both.

Reflexes fit perfectly well withing that definition.

• MehveMehve Kitchener, ONPosts: 487Member

Yeah, just to reinterate what's been said a dozen time already - by all means check around for reviews on the game, but these guys aren't a good source. Even if I wound up hating this game, I'd call these guys out for their useless "review".

TERA isn't revolutionary on all fronts, it's basically largely standard MMO-fare, well-polished for coming out of the gate, excellent visuals (even though we haven't even been given the high-rez textures over here yet), with an active combat system that incorporates a fair degree of twitch and movement. And speaking as someone who's has issues with falling asleep in raids, that last part makes all the difference.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.

• ShivamShivam MilanPosts: 465Member

Originally posted by sgel

Originally posted by Mckiediz

Just try it and make up your own mind.

Didn't Mike B give SWTOR 8/10 for innovation? ;)

It's an another Mike B...from Gamebreaker Tv...not the one from MMORPG.com

And yes 

Mike B from Gamebreaker Tv loves Swtor PvP

And...

your anti swtor crusade is funny

Glad I'm entertaining you without even trying.

I also don't really need a crusade for a game I no longer care about... besides.. it's doing a good job on it's own ;)

*rolls eyes*

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• PivotelitePivotelite Hamilton, ONPosts: 2,167Member

Originally posted by Qazaam

Lore, during his live stream, said that tab-targeting mmo combat is much more challenging and fun than TERA's action combat (he was level 3 :P).   He basically ripped the game to shreads the entire time I watched actually :P

Gary Gannon tweeted last night that he made it to level 11 and that's all he could stand.  

Mike B says to wait if you were thinking about purchasing.

Taugrim criticized the PvP aspects saying that everybody will make tiny characters for a smaller hitbox.

Hmmm...I don't know - I was thinking about getting this game - is it really that bad? I actually see quite a few folks saying it's pretty good.  It's hard to tell the difference between the adrenaline and elation of a new game and what's really happening.

I hate Gamebreaker, they are all idiots. I do not take their opinion with even a grain of salt.

If you want to review a game to people, read up on, and get to a decent level first.

Originally posted by Soraksis

Nah, OP your good, this game is utter garbage.  You were right to listen to others and not spend a dime on this turd. 

People bash TOR for not being MMO enough for them saying its a single player game, well there is even less reason to group in Tera.  Your starting HP is insane and mobs dont hurt when they hit.  You can basically charge in with your sorcerer stand toe to toe with the mobs blow them to hell and loot the healing motes they drop and run off without a scratch.  There is absolutely no need for strategy or skill to play this game.  So much for that innovative combat design.   I would advise everyone to pass on this one unless your into F2P games that you have to pay a sub for. 

I wish people like you weren't around this site...clearly you got to level ten. Good for you, not like the devs have stated a million times 1-20 is to get people used to the game.

How can you write something so negative without giving the game a chance, it makes me so incredibly upset.

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Surrey, BCPosts: 333Member

I don't understand why a player needs to wade through 20 levels of drudgery and suckage to get to something that is fun and interesting. Why not make the game fun and interesting right from the beginning? If a developer can't do that, then they are a failure.

I have no idea what Tera is like so i'm not ripping on it. It's just a question to the line of reasoning on this topic.

Archlinux ftw

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,924Member Uncommon

Yeah, no... the day i take their word as being anything 'good' will be the day my head get smashed in by a wrecking ball a dozen times.

• ScypherothScypheroth P.A, SKPosts: 264Member

ill get the game and play it just like i did with SWTOR...hopefully TERA wont be a epic fail like SW was to me...worst mmo in the creation of time...Runescape has more intrest ad immersion than SW.

PA is there truth behind NCSOFT stealing info and plans about ineage 3?!?!?!?

It looks good to me is my 2 cents.

Originally posted by FreeBooteR

I don't understand why a player needs to wade through 20 levels of drudgery and suckage to get to something that is fun and interesting. Why not make the game fun and interesting right from the beginning? If a developer can't do that, then they are a failure.

I have no idea what Tera is like so i'm not ripping on it. It's just a question to the line of reasoning on this topic.

Did WoW, rift or SW:TOR do that?

Not in my opinion, they were more boring than TERAs beginning levels, people just don't complain about those because their combat isnt hyped, TERA's combat is super hyped and it unfortunately doesn't show it's true colours until later on.

• cinoscinos LondonPosts: 963Member

Originally posted by Scypheroth

ill get the game and play it just like i did with SWTOR...hopefully TERA wont be a epic fail like SW was to me...worst mmo in the creation of time...Runescape has more intrest ad immersion than SW.

PA is there truth behind NCSOFT stealing info and plans about ineage 3?!?!?!?

Got it round the wrong way.

The original devs of Bluehole studios stole the code whilst supposedly working on Lineage 3 at NCSOFT, they then left and made Tera.

• KostKost Vancouver, BCPosts: 1,975Member

I also don't really need a crusade for a game I no longer care about... besides.. it's doing a good job on it's own ;)

If you don't care about it, then why do you continue to comment about the game daily?

You trash SWTOR every chance you get, seems to me that you care quite abit, or just have a very hard time letting things go.

• junzo316junzo316 Raleigh, NCPosts: 1,684Member Uncommon

Besides the combat, the game doesn't offer much.  The story (what little there is) is pretty bad.  The quest dialogue is horrendous.   The anime-ish styly of the game, in my opinion, is puke-worthy. 

Games need a bit more substance than just combat, this game doesn't seem to offer any.

• VinterkrigVinterkrig BOSTON, MAPosts: 1,672Member

Originally posted by junzo316

Besides the combat, the game doesn't offer much.  The story (what little there is) is pretty bad.  The quest dialogue is horrendous.   The anime-ish styly of the game, in my opinion, is puke-worthy. 

Games need a bit more substance than just combat, this game doesn't seem to offer any.

correct me if i'm wrong aren't there politics in this game, as well as pvp? sounds like substance to me

not everyone cares about some shit fantasy story that has been re-hashed time and time again, the anime stuff is kinda puke-worthy, but the combat is fun and keeps you a bit more active ... and honestly it offers a lot more then other rehashed games out there 

• TerronteTerronte Cedar Rapids, IAPosts: 321Member

Doesnt the politics just amount to king for a day sort of stuff

they set taxation...yeah taxes..not to your guild...brilliant

• AdalwulffAdalwulff Sacramento, CAPosts: 1,152Member

Lore, during his live stream, said that tab-targeting mmo combat is much more challenging and fun than TERA's action combat (he was level 3 :P).   He basically ripped the game to shreads the entire time I watched actually :P

Gary Gannon tweeted last night that he made it to level 11 and that's all he could stand.  

Taugrim criticized the PvP aspects saying that everybody will make tiny characters for a smaller hitbox.

Hmmm...I don't know - I was thinking about getting this game - is it really that bad? I actually see quite a few folks saying it's pretty good.  It's hard to tell the difference between the adrenaline and elation of a new game and what's really happening.

HAHA! thats funny stuff

I'm interested in the combat, seen it before in other games, and liked the 'skill' approach, rather than the 'skilless' button mashing.

As for Mike, thats not even advice, that is standard these days, with MMO's being so crappy. Ever since WAR, then STO, I will NEVER buy another game untill 30 days have passed, period!

• Wookiee6648Wookiee6648 Columbus, OHPosts: 131Member

They are QQing cause they can't PewPew.   TERA makes you play the game not just mash a bunch of keys on the keyboard.   All these guys need to go back to playing facebook games where their ego's match their skills.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon ParisPosts: 1,066Member

I guess you wont be playing GW2 then because they will not like that combat either.Poor little boys can't use skill to win in PVP,i guess they are stuck with swtor.

• AlotAlot BredaPosts: 1,948Member

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I guess you wont be playing GW2 then because they will not like that combat either.

Au contraire, they have been paying quite some attention to GW2  and have been rather positive so far.. They have even given it its own programme: GuildCast. Besides, only Lore seems to dislike the action combat.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon ParisPosts: 1,066Member

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I guess you wont be playing GW2 then because they will not like that combat either.

Au contraire, they have been paying quite some attention to GW2  and have been rather positive so far.. They have even given it its own programme: GuildCast. Besides, only Lore seems to dislike the action combat.

I guess Taugrim will want Asura's banned from PVP/WVW then.

• DJJazzyDJJazzy louisville, COPosts: 2,053Member

Lore is a big WoW player, you have to take his opinions with a grain of salt (well all of them really). They have their bias and preferences. Out of all of those hosts I'd say MikeB would be the most interested in a game like TERA since he is more of an action player. But I haven't seen this episode.

Anyway, Gamebreaker is kind of like The View for gamers. I certainly wouldn't take their word as gospel.

Originally posted by Terronte

Doesnt the politics just amount to king for a day sort of stuff

they set taxation...yeah taxes..not to your guild...brilliant

You can open specialy shops, change NPC locations, set taxes, etc and your guild gets some of the profit I believe.

Theres 18 territories, each can be controlled by an idividual guild or one guild can control many. To make the changes listed above your guild and particularily the leader need to get points, these points are aquired only through special Vanarch quests/dungeons that require defeating some difficult enemies.

Not to mention you can aquire control over the provinces through popularity vote or battlegrounds, people like to be the best, guilds like to be the best, this is incentive to keep playing and something to strive for, atleast in many peoples cases.

That is substance imo.

• feena750feena750 Federal Way, WAPosts: 331Member Uncommon

I have only played to lv 16 so far and Tera has some good things, but I think the bad outweight the good.

Good

1) Graphics

2) Combat

3) Performance

Bad

1. Quest grind, its ike they went out of their way to make it worse than other mmos.  Its like here are 4 quests to kill the 4 things right outside this quest camp.  Go to next camp rinse and repeat.

2. Mobs - there just doesn't seem to be a lot of consistancy.  I will fight little goats and then giant monsters of doom in the forest.  I think it would be nice if things were grouped into more realistic environments.

3. No character progression below lv 20 (Talents, ect.)

Unknown

1. Crafting - Way too expensive to do even at lv 16 so I am not sure yet.

2. Character progression - I haven't experienced the glyph system so I am not sure yet.

3. PVP - No PVP until next beta other than dueling.

Originally posted by feena750

3. No character progression below lv 20 (Talents, ect.)

3. PVP - No PVP until next beta other than dueling.

There are crystals and combo chains, I currently have 6 slots and I had fun picking ones that best suit me. I used bonus damage on knockdownx2, critical from behind increase strength and reduced damage by 4.5% when below 50% hp x 3

My chained skils are also set to my preference.

There is also PvP called deathmatches, or group dueling. People have been doing 10v10s all day.

As for the mobs, it's fantasy it doesn't have to make sense, also look in the real world, you'll see an elephant standing beside a lizard in Africa, thats big a huge thing right beside a little thing, doesn't seem unrealistic there.

• Dren_UtogiDren_Utogi OuterSpacePosts: 1,710Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by Dvalon

Your first mistake is caring what other people think about the game.

your second mistake is not having the balls to go try it for yourself and make your own mind up.

Exactly.

For example, Mike B loves SWTOR, it's all he is playing right now in his own words, and before that he loved DCUO....

*edit: Just saw it was another Mike B, not 'ours'... one of those guys needs a name change :P*

He seems a decent enough guy, but his taste isn't my taste.

The bottom line is that this and many other 'expert' sites and posters told me that SWTOR was the best game evah before and at launch... Luckily I had betad that one for myself and knew better. 

Like I would listen to anyone paid to advertise games. I think people need toplay the game themselves and decide.

reviews are !@#$ing stupid. Play what you love.

• feena750feena750 Federal Way, WAPosts: 331Member Uncommon

How do you get into the deathmatches?  I was told by a bunch of people that there would be no pvp otehr than 1 vs 1 unti lnext beta.