Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Gamebreaker folks are ripping this game a new one

Comments

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by Soraksis

Nah, OP your good, this game is utter garbage.  You were right to listen to others and not spend a dime on this turd. 

People bash TOR for not being MMO enough for them saying its a single player game, well there is even less reason to group in Tera.  Your starting HP is insane and mobs dont hurt when they hit.  You can basically charge in with your sorcerer stand toe to toe with the mobs blow them to hell and loot the healing motes they drop and run off without a scratch.  There is absolutely no need for strategy or skill to play this game.  So much for that innovative combat design.   I would advise everyone to pass on this one unless your into F2P games that you have to pay a sub for. 

Your starting HP is irrelevant fairly quickly. By level 11, you're facing mobs that could kill you if you're dumb. Your starting HP is only a cushion as you learn the game because many of us have a decade of tab targeting habits to break.

The healing motes aren't t a common drop, but they keep a melee from having to rest if they play right. It's a nice little touch.

I don't know what games you play but there's never any strategy or skill required in early levels.

OP: I can respect all the opinions you cited except the guy that says tab targeting is harder. BS lawl. He especially loses cred by saying it by level 3.

Most games' first quest mobs don't agro... Nothing on TERA's first island agroes which... it's a little carebear. They'll face you but you can stand there forever and not get it. If he's really comparing carebear mobs that wait for you to attack and swing slow as molasses (again, carebear tutorial mobs) to ArchiLichWing, he needs to get out of the review industry.

Or he's just an absurdly blind fanboy. If that's the case, he needs to stop reviewing too.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

I'm sure it will still be a major factor, but if I can dodge the attacks of some fat troll who lacks the hand eye coordination to keep up with me  then I have a better chance then I do in WoW right?

From what i seen this far.. yes you can dodge out of the way.. making it much more about skill.. as he cant have you targeted.. Looks like you can even miss with Ranged in this game... so if it playes like that I will for one try it out..

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by NBlitz

If you can stomach the guy. Watch him play here: http://www.twitch.tv/devolore/b/308304316

You can skip minutes of course. 

My favorite part was at around 5:39:00.

LOL, you just made my day. :)

95% percent of the people were soloing that, and he had a healer.  Starting to think he doesnt like it cause it's too hard for him.

I've got the straight edge.

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by Zlayer77

Originally posted by TruthXHurts

I'm sure it will still be a major factor, but if I can dodge the attacks of some fat troll who lacks the hand eye coordination to keep up with me  then I have a better chance then I do in WoW right?

From what i seen this far.. yes you can dodge out of the way.. making it much more about skill.. as he cant have you targeted.. Looks like you can even miss with Ranged in this game... so if it playes like that I will for one try it out..

There are at least a few ranged attacks that lock on target.   Sorcs for example have a multi target root... Archers get a multi target "lock on" early in their career.   I am not sure you can dodge those... I would assume a Zerker could axe block them if facing the right way.

The majority of attacks.. yes you can dodge them.   Along with the fact that the general range of "ranged" is pretty short... players with skill (lol don't look at me.. I'm skill challenged) can pretty easily toast a ranged class played by what I generally term a lemming.

Then again you can be standing almost on top of a caster and if they are good at moving... you aren't going to hit them either without some form of stun or area melee attack.

My only real gripe with the game is... I am beyond sick of seeing "You have been playing an hour OMG you should log out"... 

that is the only thing that really annoys me in the game.  

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by brody71

If you can stomach the guy. Watch him play here: http://www.twitch.tv/devolore/b/308304316

95% percent of the people were soloing that, and he had a healer.  Starting to think he doesnt like it cause it's too hard for him.

Watch him "comment" about the textures (grass in particular) but guess which game he's running back to?

http://www.twitch.tv/devolore/b/308323831

Goodness, this is becoming a bit much to take lol.

Edit: To be fair to the guy, near the end at around 15:00 he's saying he's not "terribly impressed by it" and not sure if he'll stream some more. 

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Qazaam

Lore, during his live stream, said that tab-targeting mmo combat is much more challenging and fun than TERA's action combat (he was level 3 :P).   He basically ripped the game to shreads the entire time I watched actually :P

Gary Gannon tweeted last night that he made it to level 11 and that's all he could stand.  

Mike B says to wait if you were thinking about purchasing.

Taugrim criticized the PvP aspects saying that everybody will make tiny characters for a smaller hitbox.

Hmmm...I don't know - I was thinking about getting this game - is it really that bad? I actually see quite a few folks saying it's pretty good.  It's hard to tell the difference between the adrenaline and elation of a new game and what's really happening.

Of course that perm head would say that, he is a huge wow fanboi.

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201

Combat looks really cool if you ask me

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvw2FY6wFHo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Veg-CxbpKpY&feature=related

Looks ridiculous, so the AI is basically retarded and attacking thin air once it's started an attacked animation?

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

Originally posted by brody71

I couldn't really take watching him play... personally if i was him I would not be showing videos.   

Before he goes into the last instance he's losing half his health to a rather simple mob because he just stands there toe to toe with it... eventually he finally rolls and after  taking more abuse moves to the side.

Warrior is not that complicated... if you are having mana issues then you can simply roll and use the chain off that .. which you do your roll early because its pretty easy to time the mobs first attack.   Then you simply use either A or D to strafe around the mob while using your basic attack... he would be destroying the mobs and taking pretty much 0 damage.

Of the 5 or so classes that I played through that last instance... Warrior took the least damage (basicly none)... in fact I've never died in there and I don't have much for game skillz... but this guy has to be brain dead.   Tho to be honest I see a LOT of people playing Warrior just like that and its my favorite melee class in the game.

Originally posted by Gwahlur

Looks ridiculous, so the AI is basically retarded and attacking thin air once it's started an attacked animation?

What mmo AI isn't  retarded? judging a games combat at level 1 is pretty sad.

Originally posted by nerovipus32

Originally posted by Gwahlur

What mmo AI isn't  retarded? judging a games combat at level 1 is pretty sad.

Agree they're mostly retarded, but them being locked in an animation hitting thin air for so long takes retarded to the next level. It was a bit quicker in the second vid, but still not impressed... I certainly would not call combat as seen from the berserker perspective there cool or anything special. But don't mind me, I'm not gonna try Tera out anyway, just gave my opinion.

I'm amazed how little it seems to take to make mmorpg players impressed though :p

I do like the fact that it's aimed combat though. Hope the people that are interested get a good game to play. Cheers

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749

I'm done with trying Asian made games.  Their idea of fun is not mine.  Doesn't matter what they do with mechanics and so forth.  I cannot relate to their humor, their art style, their story telling, the huge grinds, aimed combat,  the focus on raids and did I mention the huge grinds.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

I personally really do not care what other peoples OPINION of a given game is. That includes "reviews" and other such.  I look at such as simply another data point in my research into if the game is worth my time.  Notice I said time? I really do not care about what it costs. This is a hobby to me, and I'm not adverse to spending money on my hobbies.

It doesn't matter if they have their own columns, blogs, video shows or what have you.  Everyone has an agenda and a bias.  Its up to everyone to take others *opinion* and do their own research, and see what the reality is.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."

Originally posted by Vorthanion

I'm done with trying Asian made games.  Their idea of fun is not mine.  Doesn't matter what they do with mechanics and so forth.  I cannot relate to their humor, their art style, their story telling, the huge grinds, aimed combat,  the focus on raids and did I mention the huge grinds.

Is your idea of fun raiding the same instance over and over just to get some loot?

because thats generally what the western mmo gamer likes and its dull as fuck.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

This hitboxes are somwhat normalized so that argument is immediately invalidated.  As far as providing less challenge then tab targeted systems.  I don't know how you could make that argument.  That's like saying farmville takes more skill than modern warfare....

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Everyone cna be "famous" on the internet now. It adds Zero credibility ot their opinions.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by gaugemew

This hitboxes are somwhat normalized so that argument is immediately invalidated.  As far as providing less challenge then tab targeted systems.  I don't know how you could make that argument.  That's like saying farmville takes more skill than modern warefare....

There is a good chance that is in fact the case.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

Originally posted by Alot

This hitboxes are somwhat normalized so that argument is immediately invalidated.  As far as providing less challenge then tab targeted systems.  I don't know how you could make that argument.  That's like saying farmville takes more skill than modern warefare....

If you believe that, then you are disillusioned and no argument will convince your false belief.

If you believe that, then you are disillusioned and no argument will convince your false belief.

Why so tense? I merely hinted at a chance, because let's face it, most modern FPSes don't necessarily require skill, no, they require reflexes. Try to be less cringeable next time you are conversating with me.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Why so tense? I merely hinted at a chance, because let's face it, most modern FPSes don't necessarily require skill, no, they require reflexes. Try to be less cringeable next time you are conversating with me.

Reflex is a skill.

Its even a skill in D&D pnp.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

I'd like to know what passes for skill around here. 

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Jimmy562

I'd like to know what passes for skill around here. 

"Skill" by definition is a term used by elitists to troll someone. at least when relating to mmo's.

I've got the straight edge.

Originally posted by AdamTM

Reflex is a skill.

I hereby present with the opportunity to improve your learning skill. Reflexes are instinctive.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by AdamTM

Reflex is a skill.

I hereby present with the opportunity to improve your learning skill. Reflexes are instinctive.

This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page.

It needs additional citations for verification. Tagged since October 2009.

It may require cleanup to meet Wikipedia's quality standards. Tagged since January 2010.

It may need to be rewritten entirely to comply with Wikipedia's quality standards. Tagged since July 2010.

---

skill

noun /skil/ 

skills, plural

The ability to do something well; expertise

- difficult work, taking great skill

A particular ability

- the basic skills of cooking

Reflexes can be improved, trained and learned. Ask any person who does martial-arts, sports, etc.

Its, like everything, an ability that can be actively improved by practice/learning. Therefore it is a skill.

Even taking your faulty wikipedia entry:

A skill is the learned capacity to carry out pre-determined results often with the minimum outlay of time, energy, or both.

Reflexes fit perfectly well withing that definition.

• MehveMehve Member Posts: 487

Yeah, just to reinterate what's been said a dozen time already - by all means check around for reviews on the game, but these guys aren't a good source. Even if I wound up hating this game, I'd call these guys out for their useless "review".

TERA isn't revolutionary on all fronts, it's basically largely standard MMO-fare, well-polished for coming out of the gate, excellent visuals (even though we haven't even been given the high-rez textures over here yet), with an active combat system that incorporates a fair degree of twitch and movement. And speaking as someone who's has issues with falling asleep in raids, that last part makes all the difference.

A Modest Proposal for MMORPGs:
    That the means of progression would not be mutually exclusive from the means of enjoyment.