Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tera vs. SWOTOR, the grind in two different flavors.

NeverdyneNeverdyne Member Posts: 167

I've played SWTOR up to level 50, and Tera up to 22. Let me tell you something about them straight off the bat, they are both "grind" games of "kill x" and "collect x", or "kill named mob". Anyone telling you different is delusional. SWTOR's 90 percent of quests are like this, and Tera is 100%. But, what these games do is offer you that same old grind in two different flavors. 

SWTOR tries to make you care about "killing x" by offering a story wrapped around it, with voice overs to add to the immersion. Even though the quest is still "kill x", you would, supposedly, want to do it because you want to see how the story unfolds. In my opinion, this is mostly true for the unique class quest storylines. However, the side quests I found to be quite repetitive after the first few worlds. They all boil down to the same basic plots (i.e. "mean guys did something mean to me, kill them", "I'm too lazy or scared to go fetch this, you do it"). 

Tera's quests are a simple excuse to grind. That's it. But while SWTOR gives you "story" slapped on them, Tera gives you combat. Here's the thing, I didn't read quest text, I didn't watch cutscenes; I didn't care about them. BUT, the combat is fun; it's refreshing. The combat is what makes Tera different. I cannot say how it'll be in the future at higher levels, but as of right now Tera makes me want to do the quests because I want to kill mobs; and I want to kill mobs because I want to keep experiencing the combat. 

Both these games are more similar than most would believe; they are both themepark grinds. But they offer that grind in different platters. 

Comments

• AlminieAlminie Member UncommonPosts: 114

thats cool, and I agree  Tera's combat is Awesome!   but if you took the time to follow the story in Tera, you would find it interesting, and would can't about it more then the main stories in TOR.  =p

I give TERA   5Stars

I give TOR     2.5Stars

since TOR is too short on gameplay from lvl 1-50 to really care as much as i wanted to.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

well-written comparison neverdyne.

I've got the straight edge.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Alminie

thats cool, and I agree  Tera's combat is Awesome!   but if you took the time to follow the story in Tera, you would find it interesting, and would can't about it more then the main stories in TOR.  =p

I give TERA   5Stars

I give TOR     2.5Stars

since TOR is too short on gameplay from lvl 1-50 to really care as much as i wanted to.

I don't think you read the OP.   He was comparing SWToR and TERA and saying how similar the games were, nothing about his post made me think hes saying "TERA's awesome"

Also, I've heard TERA's 1-60 flys by rather quickly, since the westernization cut down level time and they've added quests since release.

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

Originally posted by Ciccero

haven't played tera yet,but Starwars was flacid in areas of game play and leveling.

I do miss the old EQ days back in 2000. It was a comfortable medium between asian MMO and US mmo in comparison to today's games.

Wow seems geared towards 12-14 year old attention spans per how easy it is. WOW was fun in it's 1st 2 years per leveling and questing and content,it too is a flacid game to me now.

I am unsure if I will try tera, based on any reviews I have read or the sites info,but it also appears to be a low attention span targetted game.

Thanks for the read

If you're looking for an experience more akin to EQ1 than modern theme parks I suggest you check out FFXIV.  No, I'm not kidding.  It's actually pretty good now.

Thanks for the comparison.  I had been flirting with the idea of picking up Tera but if its just another loot treadmill (with flashy combat) I'm going to pass.

• gaugemewgaugemew Member Posts: 158

In SWTOR I rushed through combat to get to the story.  In TERA I rush through story to get to combat.  Combat is simply more engaging and fun in Tera.  Which is what you spend most of your time doing in these games.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by gaugemew

In SWTOR I rushed through combat to get to the story.  In TERA I rush through story to get to combat.  Combat is simply more engaging and fun in Tera.  Which is what you spend most of your time doing in these games.

Lol... For some reason I found this post funny. Would be nice to find and MMORPG with both a compelling story and engaging combat.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Really, you could of just replaced "Swtor" with practically every MMO. People seem to be so slow in realizing ALL mmos are grind, no matter how you try to sugar coat it. Your always grinding to somewhere, its the experience getting there and how you like it that makes a game likeable for you. Glad though you point out its a grind but one you enjoy. 

I just find it funny mention a 'grind' as why a game isn't good, and yet they go off to play a game that has its own form of grinding.

• ThaneSolusThaneSolus Member Posts: 32

While TERA quest system is fracking horrible, the thing thing is that TERA might have a good high end game content. Unfortunatly i dont see fights for territory control, but that political system along with Guild vs Guild, can work untill they come with something better.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

OP , the word 'grind' as a gamer lingo doesn't mean what you think it means.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

How could anyone pick grind as the right word for this. NOT a single game in the last 7 Years was a Grinder not even Aion u fools. I love how ppl forgot old games were u played 6 months or even a year to get max level. Nowdays you are in 1 month max level and everyone is crying grind. Go back to CS and single rpg kids.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

Originally posted by Otomox

How could anyone pick grind as the right word for this. NOT a single game in the last 7 Years was a Grinder not even Aion u fools. I love how ppl forgot old games were u played 6 months or even a year to get max level. Nowdays you are in 1 month max level and everyone is crying grind. Go back to CS and single rpg kids.

I kinda agree with this. :/

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i agree with this, except with the single player rpg + kids in the same sentence. mmorpg can have more kids than single player rpgs which tend to be more complex sometime. mmorpg lately are just, log in, kill this and that, whine on chat 24/7, gank lowbies, thats easier for a kid to do than actually progress in a well made single playa rpg    :D

:D

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

ÄYeah, TOR is focused on the story, TERA on killing stuff.

So what? it is good that somegames focus on different things. TERAs combat actually felt really refreshing after tab killing things. AoC tried a bit of the same as TERA but think TERA did a better job, at least for the melee combat.

The archer on the other hand were rather bad, not sure about the magicians since I only were allowed to make 2 characters and deleting one takes a week.

I do think TERAs combat needs some polishing up, but the idea behind it isn´t bad at all. I am really tired of tabbing stuff, I just wish they killed of the trinity as well.

• BoA*BoA* Member UncommonPosts: 159

I remember those days.. It gave you a great sense of accomplishment when you dinged and there were only a few high lvl characters, which made a very tight community. I also hated that I had to spend 2 weeks for 10-20% of a level. A compromise inbetween would have been nice but, we're too spoiled now a days to do any real grinding(Mob or Quest)

• BrokenSpoonBrokenSpoon Member Posts: 205

Originally posted by Badgered86

Originally posted by Ciccero

haven't played tera yet,but Starwars was flacid in areas of game play and leveling.

I do miss the old EQ days back in 2000. It was a comfortable medium between asian MMO and US mmo in comparison to today's games.

Wow seems geared towards 12-14 year old attention spans per how easy it is. WOW was fun in it's 1st 2 years per leveling and questing and content,it too is a flacid game to me now.

I am unsure if I will try tera, based on any reviews I have read or the sites info,but it also appears to be a low attention span targetted game.

Thanks for the read

If you're looking for an experience more akin to EQ1 than modern theme parks I suggest you check out FFXIV.  No, I'm not kidding.  It's actually pretty good now.

Thanks for the comparison.  I had been flirting with the idea of picking up Tera but if its just another loot treadmill (with flashy combat) I'm going to pass.

EQ was awesome, FFXIV is pants.. at no point is it "akin" to EQ.. 

And no, the game is not "good now", maybe wait till FFXIV patch 2.0 and then give it a try, but Square Enix is soon to start charging for a broken game and its really not worth it.. played beta, then for 3 months after release, stopped playing for 5 months and returned to try content after each patch to date.....

Tera's combat design is what’s drawing me in, but I feel I will just add it to the graveyard of MMO's sitting dormant on my windowsill  (newest addition... SW:TOR) 

All hail the Barn Owl! oh.. and the RED SQUIRREL!!!

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by Neverdyne

I've played SWTOR up to level 50, and Tera up to 22. Let me tell you something about them straight off the bat, they are both "grind" games of "kill x" and "collect x", or "kill named mob". Anyone telling you different is delusional. SWTOR's 90 percent of quests are like this, and Tera is 100%. But, what these games do is offer you that same old grind in two different flavors. 

SWTOR tries to make you care about "killing x" by offering a story wrapped around it, with voice overs to add to the immersion. Even though the quest is still "kill x", you would, supposedly, want to do it because you want to see how the story unfolds. In my opinion, this is mostly true for the unique class quest storylines. However, the side quests I found to be quite repetitive after the first few worlds. They all boil down to the same basic plots (i.e. "mean guys did something mean to me, kill them", "I'm too lazy or scared to go fetch this, you do it"). 

Tera's quests are a simple excuse to grind. That's it. But while SWTOR gives you "story" slapped on them, Tera gives you combat. Here's the thing, I didn't read quest text, I didn't watch cutscenes; I didn't care about them. BUT, the combat is fun; it's refreshing. The combat is what makes Tera different. I cannot say how it'll be in the future at higher levels, but as of right now Tera makes me want to do the quests because I want to kill mobs; and I want to kill mobs because I want to keep experiencing the combat. 

Both these games are more similar than most would believe; they are both themepark grinds. But they offer that grind in different platters. 

Learn the definition of the word "grind" as it relates to gaming, rewrite your post and I'll read it again.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• BoA*BoA* Member UncommonPosts: 159

Originally posted by tyrannis

Learn the definition of the word "grind" as it relates to gaming, rewrite your post and I'll read it again.

Learn that everything is considered a grind

Originally posted by Loke666

The archer on the other hand were rather bad, not sure about the magicians since I only were allowed to make 2 characters and deleting one takes a week.

in tera?, nope. it says after 7 days you wont be able to recover that character, but it deletes right away. I made and deleted like 5 toons in this cbt :)

Aparently you can recover a deleted toon before 7 days have passed

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

Originally posted by BoA*

Learn that everything is considered a grind

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by rojo6934

in tera?, nope. it says after 7 days you wont be able to recover that character, but it deletes right away. I made and deleted like 5 toons in this cbt :)

Aparently you can recover a deleted toon before 7 days have passed

Actually you're both right and wrong at the same time:

• If the character you make doesn't go past level 4, you can delete him straight away.

• If however the character goes past level 5, there is a cooldown period of 7 days before you can recover that character slot and the character deletion becomes permanent.

Of course, in a weekend beta event, having to wait 7 days for a deletion meant that you couldn't delete him in time.

In the normal game, it'll just mean that you won't have to call a GM to restore an accidental deletion.

• xenogiasxenogias Member Posts: 1,926

How foolish to understand that the meaning of a word can change over the years. Maybe not what the dictionary says but in every day talk they sure as hell do. Yes, I still remember thoes days btw. I played Asherons Call for almost 10 years.

What funny is the MMO's since WoW and beyond have *felt* more like a grind than AC ever did. I guess thats the diffrence. Old games, while taking forever to level, did not really focus on end game being the only fun part of an MMO. Instead they focused on making sure ALL of the content was fun in some way or another. In today's MMO's its "here is some content we make you do to take time till endgame".

I still remember dungeons that AC added that you simply could not finish without higher levels and lower levels working togeather. If one side group failed then both failed. Greatest idea ever in keeping lower levels interesting.

Originally posted by Xasapis

Originally posted by rojo6934

Actually you're both right and wrong at the same time:

• If the character you make doesn't go past level 4, you can delete him straight away.

• If however the character goes past level 5, there is a cooldown period of 7 days before you can recover that character slot and the character deletion becomes permanent.

Of course, in a weekend beta event, having to wait 7 days for a deletion meant that you couldn't delete him in time.

In the normal game, it'll just mean that you won't have to call a GM to restore an accidental deletion.

ah ok, since its just a weekend beta then it deletes right away at any level because i deleted toons over lvl 10 and made a new right away. That 7 day period is used in all Perfect World Entertainment games, is kind of ok but it bothers when i try to make a toon of each class (yes im an alt-o-holic) and dont have enough slots  so gotta wait 7 days for a deleted one to clear out

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

Why would he do that?

His post isn't about the word grind. If you have read it, it should be clear to you what he is talking about. (hint: it isn't about semantics).

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by gaugemew

lol same, but I don't play MMORPG for story really...I mean, I enjoy lore and read the text but they are not the motivation for me to play. I like single players games better for that, or a movie!

MMORPGs come down to two essential building blocks IMO- Community and combat.

Get them foundations right and any other failings you have will be pretty easily forgiven. :)

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Although we're dealing with two theme park games here, I personally found Tera to be much more open and far more "MMO-like" than SWTOR. There is just something about SWTOR that makes me feel like I'm playing an extremely deep co'op game as opposed to the massive multiplayer games I'm use to.