Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Finally a game that's different

2»

Comments

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by Methos12

Originally posted by Velera

Prime example of why you shouldnt judge a game based on the first 20 levels, the combat can be modified ALOT by glyphs later on, and you will be able to cast alot of stuff on the move with the right ones equipped.

The first 20 levels barely showcase what the combat actually offers.

Really? How exactly is one then supposed to make up his mind about the game? Play it to the max level before saying whether it's good or not? If anything, those early levels are meant to entice you to actually play the game, not be a chore to drudge through.

Actually yes.

You can often see if you really don´t like a game fast but to truly say if a MMO is good or not you so need to play it to max level. Heck, even that might not be enough.

Don´t you remember the reviews of AoC made by people who only seen Tortage? Or how many people loved WAR until they played it for 6 weeks and then suddenly tired of it to never play it again?

But if you are bored after playing 20 levels the game probably isn´t for you anyways. That it isn´t for you does not mean it isn´t good but sometimes a game just don´t have the right "feel".

I personally don't subscribe to that logic so I guess I do have to agree with your last paragraph there. I don't play MMOs that much and relying on reaching a max level would mean extending my sub for a game I'm not sold on in the first place. It doesn't make sense to me to invest any further if the game doesn't sell it to me during the early levels of trial or its free month, in case I already got it for whatever reason. Yeah, there are exceptions in the from of AoC and similar, but I can't really rely on exceptions to guide me on this one.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by fiontar

Aside from Combat, (which isn't perfect, since you can't cast instants on the run), the game really isn't different from the established MMORPG design mold. However, so far, I will say that they seem to have done a much better job of taking the status quo in MMO design and making it fun vs. most other efforts since WoW.

There are a number of warning signs in the game design that have me worried about the longevity of the fun gaming experience. You can already guess which things are going to get boring or annoying as you continue to play for weeks or months. It's just hard to predict whether or not the things about the game that are nice will be enough to keep most people happy after the novelty of the environment and the combat mechanics wear off.

I will say that my first two days have provided a much better experience than my first two days of SWTOR did. I give it an edge over my early experiences with RIFT, as well, though both games share some of the same potential issues, while each does some things that the other lacks. (I think I got three months from RIFT. Only got 3 weeks from TOR).

So, cute, fun game with some potential, but I'm not sure yet if it's a game that could keep me playing for more than a month or two. (I probably would buy it if come release I actually think I could get a couple months from it, but that would also assume that GW2 wasn't coming out in the same window. If GW2 announces a release date any time in May or June, I'm going to have to skip this game for a while).

Unless you're playing Hello Kitty Island Adventure, combat is what it's all about. Yes there are those among us who enjoy controlling the economy or just crafting in general but combat is central to the game. It's like comparing a submarine to a boeing and saying "Aside from that one being up in the air, they're pretty much the same.

As for boring... there's is a lot of meaningless running in quests. There's also a lot of backtracking in the first early levels. Run to this guy, that guy, and back to this guy (sometime withhin the same camp). Vendors don't exist out in the wild, etc etc.

Where WoW might have beeen "Kill 10 cats, get their claws.","Oh thanks, go kill 10 more cats, get their fangs", TERA is just like "Kill 10 of these, ok now go kill 10 more of these" and I'm not talking about suppression quests.

I really think they deserve credit for making some wild innovations within combat (the core to any action mmo) and still making it a fun experience. Lancer tanking is the best thing since FFXI's ninja (I wanted to try warrior but haven't yet).

I hope the game is a reasonable success (say 500k consistent subs) because it will show developers that a chunk of us want change, want something different.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Originally posted by Volgore

The game had too many things that negatively overwhelmed me right after 5 minutes.

-overall look, feel and sound is too asian (cute mobs, constantly sighing and eeking chars etc) for my taste

-the combat system rather is some stop'n'go then fluid action. stop moving to cast an instant? erm...

Another thing that really turns me off is the missing animation for sidewards and backwards movement. The character always moves forward in any direction...i couldn't get used to that, i find that irritating and cheap.

The stop to cast an instant drove me nuts...and was the biggest problem I had with the combat system.  The landscape graphics were pretty good but the characters animations were poor.

I lasted about an hour and had to turn it off.  Maybe things get better like, not stoping to cast, change at higher levels, it would be wise for them to have it throughout the game if that's the case.

Edit:  Had I not played other better action MMOish games (DN) I may not have found this combat to be so poor.  But as it stands I have not idea how you would really accomplish much as you have to stop to cast everything. 

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I agree 100% with the OP, the only thing I wanna add is with glyphs and more levels that combat only gets even more awesome :)

Digital CE bought and payed for, May cant come fast enough.

I wanna try tera before i'll preorder I got burned on Aion and other mmo's by believing the hype, I just hope they have some sort of a open beta.. Then again I'll probally just get the game via a digital download just because its more convient for me.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• DeathofsageDeathofsage Member UncommonPosts: 1,102

Originally posted by Mardukk

Originally posted by Volgore

The game had too many things that negatively overwhelmed me right after 5 minutes.

-overall look, feel and sound is too asian (cute mobs, constantly sighing and eeking chars etc) for my taste

-the combat system rather is some stop'n'go then fluid action. stop moving to cast an instant? erm...

Another thing that really turns me off is the missing animation for sidewards and backwards movement. The character always moves forward in any direction...i couldn't get used to that, i find that irritating and cheap.

I like the look, but can appreciate you don't. I don't like the cutesy stuff, the softcore...stuff...but I like the design of the graphics.

It's funny because archers can instant on the run, so obviously the system easily supports instant magic on the run. Maybe they might listen to player feedback.

I liked that you run in any directly. Games that strafe or walk backwards have always done it slower than running forwards. In truth I want both options. I want to be able to run right because right is the shortest distance to safety, but in combat, I might want to keep my face to the boss.

Spec'ing properly is a gateway drug.
    12 Million People have been meter spammed in heroics.

• El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Deathofsage

I hope the game is a reasonable success (say 500k consistent subs) because it will show developers that a chunk of us want change, want something different.

i hope so too. lots of tough cometion this year though. which sadly maybe the downfall of what could be a really good game.  i think anywhere are 400k would be considered a success.

I've got the straight edge.

• FaynthFaynth Member Posts: 237

Originally posted by brody71

Originally posted by Deathofsage

i hope so too. lots of tough cometion this year though. which sadly maybe the downfall of what could be a really good game.  i think anywhere are 400k would be considered a success.

As the average internet teen mmo expert knows, anything short of 10 million is FAIL!!!11

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Dekarx12

I'm sorry I've been playing the beta... and im seeing nothing different about the game... its got vinticus/dragons nest style combat (which is great but not orginal) and the rest is generic asain mmo... basically the same stuff... holy trinity check, generic kill x collect x quests check, instances check, raids check, skenpy armor check, grind check, only thing i see a bit different is the polictial system, the buying point of this game is the combat and u don't move to avoid half the time anyway and when your aiming at the mob u cant bloody miss them cause there so huge!@! I'm be more impressed if u attacked certain parts of the mob and they became disabled in some way... Back to reckoning for me :) ooo and theres puppy dogs which my gf thought was sooo cute.. (god help me...)

Put it this way,i have played GW2 at gamescom and Tera is the closes feeling i have had to that games combat. ROLLING  around and doding, GW2 offers more.

Yes, we have holy trin but people need to realise that it's not going to go away over night.Yes we have fed x quests but again that is not a game breaker at all.

Armour is a low point for sure.

But let's give credit where credit is due,the combat is not the same old same old stuff we have had for years compared to leading mmos.

Is it in the same league as GW2..nope but it a damn good MMO.

It is smooth and looks great and later levels the game get's pretty dark. 

Compared to swtor,Tera wipes the floor with it.

Bring on GW2 FOR MORE GREAT MMO FUN

No game is perfect,even GW2 wont be perfect..

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I'm sorry I've been playing the beta... and im seeing nothing different about the game... its got vinticus/dragons nest style combat (which is great but not orginal) and the rest is generic asain mmo... basically the same stuff... holy trinity check, generic kill x collect x quests check, instances check, raids check, skenpy armor check, grind check, only thing i see a bit different is the polictial system, the buying point of this game is the combat and u don't move to avoid half the time anyway and when your aiming at the mob u cant bloody miss them cause there so huge!@! I'm be more impressed if u attacked certain parts of the mob and they became disabled in some way... Back to reckoning for me :) ooo and theres puppy dogs which my gf thought was sooo cute.. (god help me...)

Put it this way,i have played GW2 at gamescom and Tera is the closes feeling i have had to that games combat. ROLLING  around and doding, GW2 offers more.

Yes, we have holy trin but people need to realise that it's not going to go away over night.Yes we have fed x quests but again that is not a game breaker at all.

But let's give credit where credit is due,the combat is not the same old same old stuff we have had for years compared to leading mmos.

If MMOS would survive only one one or two features we wouldn't have so many sub bar MMOS. other than combat what else Tera has goign for it? as far as Tera wiping floor with SWTOR, money talks. And there is still a long time before we can arrive to that conclusion. A game that performed sub par in its own country would succeed in west? some how i doubt it.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Shivam

Originally posted by Sylvarii

If MMOS would survive only one one or two features we wouldn't have so many sub bar MMOS. other than combat what else Tera has goign for it? as far as Tera wiping floor with SWTOR, money talks. And there is still a long time before we can arrive to that conclusion. A game that performed sub par in its own country would succeed in west? some how i doubt it.

I don't see TERA being any bigger than AION out here in the west. As far as SWTOR I feel that game is going to kill itself unless bioware has some magic up their sleeve but not holding my breathe... with GW2 and TSW coming I dunno will be interesting.. If GW2 can really deliver all these current P2P games are going to be in trouble..

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Methos12

Prime example of why you shouldnt judge a game based on the first 20 levels, the combat can be modified ALOT by glyphs later on, and you will be able to cast alot of stuff on the move with the right ones equipped.

The first 20 levels barely showcase what the combat actually offers.

Really? How exactly is one then supposed to make up his mind about the game? Play it to the max level before saying whether it's good or not? If anything, those early levels are meant to entice you to actually play the game, not be a chore to drudge through.

Because at level twenty you establish a decent amount of skills and hopefully have chained your skills in ways the suit you, then the first real test comes, BAMs. 

I've finally got the hang of basilisks, managed to do three or four in a row, used some pots though. Really good stuff, but I keep getting owned by Kumas and Nagas...always make one mistake and it's game over.