Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Are the Floodgates Opening?

124»

Comments

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323

Originally posted by smh_alot

Originally posted by I_Return

a lot of neww players  who have never dealt with Funcom will be in for some surprises.....

I have dealt with Funcom. I've enjoyed the heck out of Dreamfall, The Longest Journey and AoC. So, what's your point? More interesting, what will you do when a lot of them will end up enjoying their gameplay time, will you scold them for it or will you accept that if you might have disliked or dislike some games, that isn't necessarily a reason for others to feel the same too?

In todays gaming world no developer is allowed a second chance...ever, especially when it comes to MMOs. It doesn't take much to get people to hate a developer and not just hate them but hope to see them fail for "disappointing" them with a buggy launch or a game that they just didn't like. In the old days people that didn't like the game would just move on, but today that is unacceptable...the game needs to be punished for letting you down.

The game can launch with hardly no problems and be well recieved, but even if the developers themselves say something that a person doesn't agree with its enough justification to go to the forums and launch a hate campaign.

I played AoC on launch day and expected there to be problems, and there were. Sure it could have been smoother but it didn't stop me from enjoying the game and looking back at it as an enjoyable experience. For many people its not enough to not like something, they have to see it crushed and disavowed from society all together and the people that played it chastised for giving it a chance.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!

• DietaetherDietaether Member Posts: 36

Originally posted by Acvivm

Originally posted by smh_alot

Originally posted by I_Return

a lot of neww players  who have never dealt with Funcom will be in for some surprises.....

I have dealt with Funcom. I've enjoyed the heck out of Dreamfall, The Longest Journey and AoC. So, what's your point? More interesting, what will you do when a lot of them will end up enjoying their gameplay time, will you scold them for it or will you accept that if you might have disliked or dislike some games, that isn't necessarily a reason for others to feel the same too?

In todays gaming world no developer is allowed a second chance...ever, especially when it comes to MMOs. It doesn't take much to get people to hate a developer and not just hate them but hope to see them fail for "disappointing" them with a buggy launch or a game that they just didn't like. In the old days people that didn't like the game would just move on, but today that is unacceptable...the game needs to be punished for letting you down.

The game can launch with hardly no problems and be well recieved, but even if the developers themselves say something that a person doesn't agree with its enough justification to go to the forums and launch a hate campaign.

I played AoC on launch day and expected there to be problems, and there were. Sure it could have been smoother but it didn't stop me from enjoying the game and looking back at it as an enjoyable experience. For many people its not enough to not like something, they have to see it crushed and disavowed from society all together and the people that played it chastised for giving it a chance.

and of course, a lot of people who hate the company most fervently, they will end up playing the game as well, since they've been following it just as closely as its actual fans. "Never passionately hate someone; you run the risk of falling in love with them." Just in time for V-day ;)

• KhenthirKhenthir Member UncommonPosts: 26

Originally posted by itgrowls

the companies that rush these games out need to realize by players making the right choice and waiting, that we aren't going to pay enormous fees for the special collectors edition if the game isn't 1: feature complete AT LAUNCH and 2: bug free AT LAUNCH there's a reason why companies use multiple betas after the alpha in testing and it's to catch every bug before launch.

Hi!  You seem new to MMOs, so I'll point a few things out:

1. We all want games to deliver on advertised features at launch.  But no MMO is "feature complete" until the final update before the servers are permanently shut down.

2. While "bug free" is a nice goal in theory, there are bound to be issues that get past beta.  When any game goes live, the actual user base will easily be hundreds of times larger than the pool of beta testers.  This means that (A) population scaling issues will pop up that were previously insignificant, and (B) More player-hours will be invested into the first day of live gaming than even 3-6 months of extensive beta testing.  This last point means there will either be some serious overcrowding around a limited amount of content that has been extensively tested, or that players will "spread out" into a wider variety of content, which hasn't been tested so extensively.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Hmm, just got to laugh at all the idiots claiming that AoC was a wreck at release, its like not true, sure it had issues. But some issues does not equal wreck...

Funcom is sure going to pay Long for not releasing a flawless game at release..ohh well.
  • heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Originally posted by Khenthir

1. We all want games to deliver on advertised features at launch.  But no MMO is "feature complete" until the final update before the servers are permanently shut down.

That's not exactly correct. It is true that MMOs constantly get updated and changed but each MMO has a design document which contains a set of features that are planned for launch. A "feature complete" MMO at launch simply means that the game launched with all of the features outlined in that document.

That's not the same as adding a new instance 3 months later. Unless the game was suppose to launch with it and the instance was later cut for one reason or another.

• Given it's a Funcom game, TSW can be safely disregarded.

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82

Originally posted by Axxar

Given it's a Funcom game, TSW can be safely disregarded.

So, given it's a BioWare game, Mass Effect 3 can be safely disregarded. And given it's a Blizzard game, Diablo 3 can be safely disregarded...

The list of companies which released buggy and/or unfinished games goes on and on. Would be nice if the "omg! It's Funcom so the game can't be anything above crap!!!" hate train stops. Yes, AO and AoC had rocky launches, but when you look at them today, they're both great games. Also, Gaunt Godadger (Game Director at launch of both AO and AoC and co-founder of Funcom)  did leave (more or less unintentionally) the company not long after the AoC realease. The GD for TSW is Ragnar Tornquist, you know, the guy in charge for two of the best Adventures ever, btw also released by Funcom, The longest Journey and Dreamfall.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous that this game is about 10 weeks from launch and there is no playable dragon faction or crafting available for testing. And there are only a handful of zones available of which most are starting zones.

Of course this is all hearsay and speculation ;)

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• FlexXlutorFlexXlutor Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by DannyGlover

I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous that this game is about 10 weeks from launch and there is no playable dragon faction or crafting available for testing. And there are only a handful of zones available of which most are starting zones.

Of course this is all hearsay and speculation ;)

So, does these wild speculations give any idea as of the stability/bugs of the mentioned content? 

• TheSedatedTheSedated Member Posts: 82

From wild speculations I heard in some forums about cake that the game seems very stable and not too buggy. Maybe we'll see next week, when the press embargo lifts and maybe the NDA is lifted also.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by FlexXlutor
    Originally posted by DannyGlover I'll be honest, I'm a little nervous that this game is about 10 weeks from launch and there is no playable dragon faction or crafting available for testing. And there are only a handful of zones available of which most are starting zones. Of course this is all hearsay and speculation ;)  
    So, does these wild speculations give any idea as of the stability/bugs of the mentioned content? 

If I were to make a wild speculation based on no experience whatsoever, I would guess that the game runs very smoothly and the pvp is self balancing and a lot of fun. I would also just purely speculate from no actual hands on experience that the quest system is a breath of fresh air and based on the limited features available right now, I will be playing day one.

Of course this is all just a random guess and a feeble stab in the dark.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• Originally posted by TheSedated

So, given it's a BioWare game, Mass Effect 3 can be safely disregarded. And given it's a Blizzard game, Diablo 3 can be safely disregarded...

Neither company has released anything remotely as bad as AoC was at release, so no.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Originally posted by TheSedated

Neither company has released anything remotely as bad as AoC was at release, so no.

You wherent around WoW's release eh.

• Yes I was... I clearly remember stats, talent trees and other core mechanics of the game actually, you know, working.

• PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Yes I was... I clearly remember stats, talent trees and other core mechanics of the game actually, you know, working.

Tallent trees and core meganics of thee game actually worked on Aoc, stats worked, some where underpowered but they worked.

Things kinna went south when the gem system was added. It was suposed to have simulair restrictions like the ones implants augments had on ao.

Not to mention all classes where functional on aoc. Another thing that WoW didnt have at release. heck WoW even had a completely broken and disfunctiional class. But if you really want to we can really get into that if you want

Its mind boggling  the state WoW became such a success based on the state they released the game.

WoW is considered to have had the worst release. You can find that article on this site btw. Aoc is on the list too, but WoW was considered THE worst.