Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Following xFire and server stats

MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

I will be following xFire and server stats in this thread. Please try to not engage in lengthy discussions about xFire being representative or not of overall players. If you think xFire means nothing, that's fine, if you think xFire is a good indicator, that is fine too. If you look at the "Seems SWTOR has peaked in xFire" thread, you will see that almost 100 pages of discussions clearly show that one can't convince the other. Lets focus on results. Also please respect everyone's view on that.

Links:

http://www.xfire.com/games/swtor/Star_Wars_The_Old_Republic/

http://www.mmo-junkies.net/statistics/

This is what i have so far for xFire, in number of players. I'm keeping that becasue there is no history of number of players (afaik):

Tuesday

07/02/12

Wednesday

08/02/12

Thursday

09/02/12

Friday

10/02/12

6494*

Saturday

11/02/12

* All-time low.

At launch these numbers were around 11.000.

Yesterday was a low saturday, compared to previous saturday, which was rather high after a low friday. Sever status also showed a big increase last week-end, and now seems rather low.

We also seen the all-time low this friday.

Comments

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    So xfire needs another thread because _____?

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• altair4altair4 Member Posts: 158

Great idea monitoring this since we can't see history of the amount of users which I think is the most interesting number.

Think you should change the days to the day the numbers actually represent though, since we get the numbers the day after. Ie. the one you call saturday is actually for Friday Feb. 10th and so on.

• SeanalexSeanalex Member UncommonPosts: 45

Quick question, Who cares about xFire? Or its stats? It kind of required people to take the effort to download yet another archaic chat client and install it, with intrusive software. I live in a house of 4 gamers, none of us use it, so how are its stats even remotely relevant?

Played - EQ 1/2, WoW, SWG, SWTOR, GW 1/2 UO, STO, CO, DCUO, AO, Rift.

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

This says that players are playing less. Since players are more active at launch, and not all of them stick around, I'd say this means almost nothing. Add in the part about xfire stats being completely subjective, I'd say the numbers mean nothing.

Please use the other thread to discuss whether X-fire stats are useful or not, if you see any point in discussing it still.

Originally posted by djmtott

This says that players are playing less. Since players are more active at launch, and not all of them stick around, I'd say this means almost nothing. Add in the part about xfire stats being completely subjective, I'd say the numbers mean nothing.

No the number of users isn't the same as the number of hours they play. And use the other thread for this type of discussion please.

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Here we go again lol.

I have never used Xfire and Never will.

Originally posted by altair4

Originally posted by djmtott

No the number of users isn't the same as the number of hours they play. And use the other thread for this type of discussion please.

It's not just hours, it's days. Maybe they played every day of the week, but now it's only a few days a week.

And you can't have a discussion about the numbers without taking their reliability/feasibility into account.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

There is already a thread going on about Xfire.... why we need another new one?

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

Originally posted by Shivam

There is already a thread going on about Xfire.... why we need another new one?

Because some people think they're so important that they need their own thread, or that what they have to say is so important it's not meant to be at the end of a huge thread.

• Been checking on the server populations at prime time when they used to be chock-full and over time there's definitely a lot more light and standard servers now. So the game is definitely being played a lot less now than when I played.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by Seanalex

Quick question, Who cares about xFire? Or its stats? It kind of required people to take the effort to download yet another archaic chat client and install it, with intrusive software. I live in a house of 4 gamers, none of us use it, so how are its stats even remotely relevant?

Short answer is their not, the stats for Xfire only apply to those who use it, and not to the overall population of the game in question, and despite claims to the contrary, Xfire does not measure or indicate trends, so any argument based on Xfire numbers is by definition, a flawed one..image

• SvarcanumSvarcanum Member UncommonPosts: 425

Thanks OP! This data will no doubt be intresting. 

• RocketeerRocketeer Member UncommonPosts: 1,303

Considering the last thread about xfire went on for over 900 replies ... i think alot of people care for it one way or the other.

Also i do not see what the relevance of stats has to do with your 4 friends. Thats the whole point of it, 99.9% of voters also do not get questioned after leaving the voting booth, infact those statistics are based on less than 1000 people out of 40 million eligible voters in my country and yet they manage an accuracy of within 1-3%.

Infact i can say that i do not know a single person who ever participated in such a poll. But you know why i don't question them? Because i have seen them being right again and again and again since i was a little child. Xfire is obviously far less than those professional statistics, but i still have seen it being right again and again.

Its like watching the same experiment for the tenth time and expecting THIS time it will turn out different than the previous 9 times because what shouldn't be can't be. Xfire is not a tool predicting things, it is showing us how things currently ARE within the xfire population. Its accuracy within that context is 100%. Beyond that we only have conjecture based on past experience.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780

My clan is a big clan, we had over 200 members at start logging in. This went down to around 120 after a few weeks.

Its now down to under 40 a day logged in.

Swtor = same old same old

Hype is gone and players are fed up of the same old same old.

Roll on Tera with action combat or Darkfall 2.0!!

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

A lot has been said about this already, but I will repeat my earlier threads, wherever they are now, and say that something that has generally been ignored is the outside world situation, austerity measures across nations is taking its toll and yes, people still have disposable income but are being cautious whereas others don't have disposable income for MMO's, even F2Ps are becoming a luxury, even as I type this Greece has been burning yet again this week in protests and the worst probably hasn't happened yet. It's not surprising that this impact may, with an emphasis on may, be seen with less game time being spent in recurring subscription based MMO's like WoW and SWTOR.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I started the old thread and kind of understand why you started a new one as the old one was hijacked about people repeteadly saying XFire is useless, like saying it over and over would make it true.

Regardless I am still following the trends on XFire, and will continue to do so, and the numbers peaked in late december/early january and has since then been steadily dropping. As more and more finish their class story lines they realise there is not much to do beside rerolling or quitting and more and more I believe are doing the latter.

That being said, I am playing the game casually maybe 20 hours per week, and I am only level 35 (with a bunch of alts ranging from lvl 10-20) so there seems to be still some life in this game. However by end of month I should be level 50 and probably quit as well so I predict the next noticeable drop would be end of fenruary/early march.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Only trolls care about Xfire.  I was in a guild of over 300 people and none of them uses XFire.  Xfire is predominantly a FPS genre's measuring stick anyway.  In 11 years of MMO's Most people I know or knew only care about MMO's and could care less about other genres of games.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

I used to work for a marketing research company. You cant interview a hole population. So you have to say take a number.. lets say 10-50k people depending on what type of research you are doing.  These people can be selected from diffrent ages or genders depending on the product or view point your are discussing.

Having this in mind I think Xfire can be used to see if the general population of a game is growing or not.  How many people who are using it is rather irrelevant, because if there are 11 thousand people using it at the start and about 6 thousand using it now.. they can serve as a puls meter if the game is growing or not. As long as we dont know if only Haters of SW:Tor are using Xfire or not we have to assume they are from diffent types of play styles,  Both hardcore and casual... Many games these days also asks if you want to Install Xfire, so my general feeling about it is that we have a much larger Casual audiance using it, because they just click install it, thinking it has something to do with the game.. I never install it for example...

Point is a decline on Xfire has a higher % chans of showing a trend, then no statistics at all... because we have to assume the people using it are of, diffrent ages, diffrent genders, and diffrent play styles.. that they represent the hole player base.

If someone comes here and shows me that the only people using Xfire are Boys betwen the age of 15-25, who play MMOS all day from home, then Xfire statistics would not mean S.H.I.T. But if the span is 12-65, all genders and all play styles they can infact be used as a representation of the hole player base...

without knowing exacly who are using it, everything becomes pure speculation. But I would say its a higher statistical chans that the users of Xfire is a rather Broad group of people. Ranging from alot of diffrent ages and play styles....

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

SWTOR vs. WOW time played of XFire

DATE

SWTOR

WOW

SWTOR/WOW

Dec 24th

62k hours

79k hours

78%

Dec 31st

63k hours

72k hours

88%

Jan 7th

73k hours

102k hours

72%

Jan 14th

68k hours

101k hours

67%

Jan 21st

56k hours

96k hours

58%

Jan 28th

40k hours

98k hours

41%

Feb 4th

44k hours

82k hours

54%

Feb 11th

39k hours

89k hours

44%

It would be nice if we could have a thread without arguments about whether XFire can be used or not. Such discussion has its place, but people who simple want to follow XFire trends should be allowed to do that without getting drowned into arguments if they indicate something greater or not.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399

Dont know a damm soul that uses that, and we have a huge guild, oh normaly only people that takes mmo's or other games to serious sign on, at that site, SWTOR in my server at least is getting better by the day, you should play the game if you like and it and that is it.

• BunksBunks Member Posts: 960

I don't know anyone who has been polled for an election either, but they still are 99.8% accurate sampling 500 people or less.

Overall this group may be a higher percent of hardcore players, players who prefer fps, or even players who like acnient programs, who knows. However, the data sample was 20 times the size any random poll neeeds to be accurate, also the other games on there have all been well represented by xfire trends in the past. So dismiss xfire outright is pure ignorance. Saying they are accurate is just as provincial. However, the trends are hard to dispute. All evidence, server  stats, anecdotal feedback, review cites, and xfire all point in one direction. a month ago 11,200 xfires played daily, now 6300 are, to me that seems to show a very steep trend indeed.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I think this game is doing worse at keeping players around than I thought it would. I don't need Xfire to see this. I log in and see less and less all the time.

I knew there would be a dropoff but this appears to be more than I anticipated. Apparently it was more than whatever fuck decided to go hog wild on the number of servers to add too.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371

Question for the OP.  At what time are you taking these numbers?  You should probably put that in your post for completeness sake.  Are you taking the numbers at the same time every day?  Is there some sort of fluctuation during the day?

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

Originally posted by leojreimroc

Question for the OP.  At what time are you taking these numbers?  You should probably put that in your post for completeness sake.  Are you taking the numbers at the same time every day?  Is there some sort of fluctuation during the day?

No fluctation, the figures are based per day, I also saw 7001 on Monday. It stays that for 24 hours, not sure the exact time it updates. Last Saturday was about 7900 users playing. About 1300 user drop in a week is a lot.

This discussion has been closed.