Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal Online Outlives Earthrise.

username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

Earthrise has officially died.     

"EarthRise originally launched February 4rth 2011. Making this MMO less than a year old."

http://sandboxer.org/?p=591

Mortal Online went live in June 2010 making it nearly 2 years old now.  With it's rising population, steady progress with patching, and an upcoming expansion in April it looks like Mortal Online will live on for many years to come.  

So why did I post about Earthrise dieing in the Mortal Online forums?  Both games are indy sandboxes, and while Earthrise failed Mortal Online succeeded by staying true to it's sandbox principles.  Earthrise tried to take the middle road to appease both Sandbox and themepark gamers, but failed miserably.  Both Earthrise and Mortal had very buggy beginnings, but later improved with bugfixes and more features, but Mortal Online is still going strong and Earthrise has failed to find serious investors to go free to play.  

It's always sad to see an MMO die, but at least former EarthRise players can try MortalOnline for there sandbox pvp action.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

Comments

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

Originally posted by username509

Earthrise has officially died.     

"EarthRise originally launched February 4rth 2011. Making this MMO less than a year old."

http://sandboxer.org/?p=591

Mortal Online went live in June 2010 making it nearly 2 years old now.  With it's rising population, steady progress with patching, and an upcoming expansion in April it looks like Mortal Online will live on for many years to come.  

So why did I post about Earthrise dieing in the Mortal Online forums?  Both games are indy sandboxes, and while Earthrise failed Mortal Online succeeded by staying true to it's sandbox principles.  Earthrise tried to take the middle road to appease both Sandbox and themepark gamers, but failed miserably.  Both Earthrise and Mortal had very buggy beginnings, but later improved with bugfixes and more features, but Mortal Online is still going strong and Earthrise has failed to find serious investors to go free to play.  

It's always sad to see an MMO die, but at least former EarthRise players can try MortalOnline for there sandbox pvp action.

Yeah o.k..  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/339173/SV-releases-2011-Financials-and-Q4-continued-player-loss-CONFIRMED-Continued-loss-of-money-CONFIRMED.html

Funny for the past two quaters population has been rising yet the financials tell a different story..

Edited to add and clarify my point:  Certain people seem to "cry wolf"(the population is growing!) a lot.  It gets to the point where no one believes you and those that do log in on a trial to check it out and don't see a booming population and log off.  If that's one of the main reason they decided to take a look, that is.  We all know the stupid games hurting regardless if a person likes it or doesn't.  It's plain as day and you aren't really fooling to many people if any. The over the top posts look more like a viral add campaign ( or whatever).  My $.02

• amadmanamadman Member Posts: 19

Shame to hear that they had to shut it down.

As far as MO... Its not for every one for sure.

But the more people that give it a try the more people that it is for will find it.

"In MO, even the haters are hardcore!" - ltank

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Originally posted by amadman

But the more people that give it a try the more people that it is for will find it.

True, but the devs need to figure out a 'mentorship' program, or better yet, a skillset, to trick half of the asshat population into being helpful. New players are castrated, and physically, rather than taken under-wing.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by GTwander

True, but the devs need to figure out a 'mentorship' program, or better yet, a skillset, to trick half of the asshat population into being helpful. New players are castrated, and physically, rather than taken under-wing.

recently it seems that having the new players consolidated in fab (and meduli) has really cemented the newb population as a force that are working together. Really has been a pleasent suprise returning to fab on a blue to be greeted with so much activity and new players actually helping each other since all the big pvp guilds are fighting a war in gk new players seem to be having plenty of fun and i was to simply butchering for them and gonig about my business mining.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• Bobbie203Bobbie203 Member Posts: 136

its simple really, they will just keep losing money each quarterly financial statements until there is no more money. :p

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635

I'm sorry you were "castrated" as a new player in Mortal Online, but not all new player experiances are like that.  The first 20 hours your yellow flagged, meaning you can't be ganked.  Usually people are fairly helpful after that.  

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Dude, I was a new player at least 3 times, even in the first OB, where it was *really* bad.

Everyone experiences it, because it's the nature of the game, but what you and all those playing it fail to understand is that every time someone ragequits, Henrik kills a cat because he's making less money.

Rather than get defensive, I would go post my suggestion in the MO forums. The part about making it a skill, under learning, and it's something mages can be good at (for once). Go, go.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Mortal must be in some really bad shape...these "MO is thriving" post are sounding more and more desperate...

How is earthrise relevant to MO anyways?

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Regardless of sub numbers. It does seem more crowded with all types. More annoying people and nice people both.

Im still having fun and cant wait till we get some pve.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by youngkg

Mortal must be in some really bad shape...these "MO is thriving" post are sounding more and more desperate...

Actually it's very relevant to MO......... think about it........

Masthead CEO Atanas Atanasov says that the move is an effort to retain customer trust while the developers shore up the game's weaknesses: "We decided to let all our players unlimited gaming experience until we all are satisfied with the experience in our game. At the moment Earthrise features one of the best visuals, content, and gameplay of all sci-fi MMOs on the market. However, it is missing polish and has annoyances that spoil the fun in the game. We are learning from our experience and that is why we will remove monthly charges until we bring the game to a quality state that is satisfactory to us and our players."

Does any of the above sound familiar in regards to a certain MMO? Though I have to admit that Masthead seemed to care more about it's player base than SV.

And then this..............

Earthrise was plagued with troubles from the start with bugs, not enough features, and just a lack-luster MMO experience all around. In November, Masthead Studios announced that Earthrise would be closed to all new players, but would remain open and free for currently players while they transitioned the game to a free-to-play model.  Unfortunately, it looks like the studio has run out of money and will have to shut down.

Sounds very relevant to MO in my honest opinion.

The only difference seems to be that Masthead handled it a lot better. They didn't try to grab what cash they could before they were forced to shut down. They acknowledged that the game wasn't worth paying for, quit charging players and were working on getting it to a charge worthy state and planned on attempting a f2p approach. SV is charging AAA prices for a game they know and admit is extremely flawed.

I mean what better game to compare MO to than Earthrise, thank you OP. This should help people thinking about joining MO think twice. If an experienced developer such as Masthead had trouble staying afloat when suffering from the exact same issues that Mortal Online suffers from (Though it was never as bad as Mortal Online) then what hope does SV some rinky dink developer with 0 prior experience have?

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Masthead CEO Atanas Atanasov says that the move is an effort to retain customer trust while the developers shore up the game's weaknesses: "We decided to let all our players unlimited gaming experience until we all are satisfied with the experience in our game. At the moment Earthrise features one of the best visuals, content, and gameplay of all sci-fi MMOs on the market. However, it is missing polish and has annoyances that spoil the fun in the game. We are learning from our experience and that is why we will remove monthly charges until we bring the game to a quality state that is satisfactory to us and our players."

Does any of the above sound familiar in regards to a certain MMO? Though I have to admit that Masthead seemed to care more about it's player base than SV.

Earthrise was plagued with troubles from the start with bugs, not enough features, and just a lack-luster MMO experience all around. In November, Masthead Studios announced that Earthrise would be closed to all new players, but would remain open and free for currently players while they transitioned the game to a free-to-play model.  Unfortunately, it looks like the studio has run out of money and will have to shut down.

The only difference seems to be that Masthead handled it a lot better. They didn't try to grab what cash they could before they were forced to shut down. They acknowledged that the game wasn't worth paying for, quit charging players and were working on getting it to a charge worthy state and planned on attempting a f2p approach. SV is charging AAA prices for a game they know and admit is extremely flawed.

I mean what better game to compare MO to than Earthrise, thank you OP. This should help people thinking about joining MO think twice. If an experienced developer such as Masthead had trouble staying afloat when suffering from the exact same issues that Mortal Online suffers from (Though it was never as bad as Mortal Online) then what hope does SV some rinky dink developer with 0 prior experience have?

Well played image

Those are actually some earie comparisons lol.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

What can I say.. not everyone has a rich daddy to back one up.

Originally posted by drakes821

Masthead milked ER till it had nothing left...they charged AAA prices (even more than AAA for Euro customers) 

And MO doesn't? I think SV charges even more than some AAA titles for EUR customers.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

This PR drive is getting really pathetic.

What does it really mean that MO "outlives" ER?

To me, it simply looks like SV has a wealthy father figure standing by, always ready to put bandaids on the bleeding financials of his son's failed dream project, while Masthead actually had to man up and face the fact that they produced an unfinished game that no one wanted to play.

It certainly has nothing to do with MO being a better game, or SV being a more professional company. If Henrik's dad hadn't sponsored the project to begin with, MO would have went down a long time ago.

You "fans" (or should I say PR people) who keep claiming MO's population is booming are welcome to produce some actual numbers supporting that claim. I've not seen anything but groundless statements yet, and since there are hard and unquestionable facts painting a different picture, it will be really interesting to hear what you base your hype on.

But of course you'll produce nothing of the sort, since you simply can't. You'll just keep throwing around anectodes about how "crowded" Fab or Meduli is, or tell people to "do a trial and see for themselves", as if that meant anything. 

It's a SIMPLE FACT that SV has a very low retention rate and that they are losing money (i.e. subs and box sales are low and dropping). If you claim otherwise, you are basically saying that the financial report is false - a pretty bold statement to say the least. That a paid employee (GM Theia) would make such statements without any hard evidence is mind-boggling.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

It's the same old story... PvPers killing their own game for their own short term lolz, and then wondering why no one stays.

PvP focused sandboxes will always ultimately fail because off the type of people that play them.

The sad fact is that those people cannot see that they are the issue.

• GwahlurGwahlur Member UncommonPosts: 201

The pr drive and the anti pr drive are equally pathetic imo. No bloody discussion going on in this place, the entire forum is more or less useless

• RegorzRegorz Member Posts: 13

Originally posted by Biskop

It's a SIMPLE FACT that SV has a very low retention rate and that they are losing money (i.e. subs and box sales are low and dropping). If you claim otherwise, you are basically saying that the financial report is false - a pretty bold statement to say the least. That a paid employee (GM Theia) would make such statements without any hard evidence is mind-boggling.

It's been stated here several times that only the lead GM receives compensation. Apart from that your post is spot on.

Wow you literally know nothing about the situation and are just assuming stuff too support your hate for MO.

I played Earthrise in the beta, at release, and at the TW patch and I can tell you it was 10x the mess MO was (and we all know MO was/is a mess in some areas).

Masthead milked ER till it had nothing left...they charged AAA prices (even more than AAA for Euro customers) and didn't stop charging till the game had literally >20 people on per day. They then announced the game would go F2P and they would take the servers down for a week or so. The servers stayed down for almost a month before anyone heard anything. Then out of the blue they annouce they are closing down the game because it will take them around 4 months to get it too a playable state.

I'm not saying there are no comparisons, both are indie MMO's that tried something different and had/are having a tough time. The difference is MO still has an active community and player base while ER literally died out around the fall of last year.

The picture your trying to paint of MO being in a similar situation with ER, and Masthead being a more caring company is just completly false.

Tell me exactly what it is I assumed?

I was there for both so I can confirm MO had a worse launch.

I have continously checked in on both so I KNOW that ER had more players on average than MO

Masthead had actual game developers working for them which SV does not.

Yes, Masthead was charging AAA prices for a long while up until they hit the population level of Mortal Online and then they stopped and decided to go the free to play route. This never came to pass and the game has shut down.

And no don't make the mistake of asuming that I think they just genuinely care about the players, they simply saw the writing on the wall and knew if they continued charging what they were charging for an incomplete buggy game they wouldn't have a player base left.

Mortal Onlines population continues to dwindle just like Earthrises did, they've run so low on funds they can't even afford to do a proper advertising campaigne so they "encourage" fans to come to these kinds of sites and make fake reviews and generate false hype about the game.

The situations for both games are almost completely identical. Masthead tried to at least be intellegent about it, quit charging what few remain and at least try to salvage things by converting to a free to play model.

While neither company truly cares about its players, Masthead in the end at least showed better business sense than SV. SV (in the almost exact same boat as Masthead though with less money, less people and less talent) however wishes to handle it with a blind eye, if we don't aknowledge that we have failed then maybe we won't fail! Keep saying over and over that everythings wonderful!

Show me an asumption on my part?

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709

Originally posted by Regorz

It's been stated here several times that only the lead GM receives compensation. Apart from that your post is spot on.

I was under the impression that GM Theia actually gets paid for his services. At least that's what he says himself in his introduction thread:

[QUOTE] 3.) In what way are you getting paid for your work?

Handsomely. Think that's a bit private tho so not going to go into details about - if that's ok. [/QUOTE]

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by Regorz

I was under the impression that GM Theia actually gets paid for his services. At least that's what he says himself in his introduction thread:

3.) In what way are you getting paid for your work?

Handsomely. Think that's a bit private tho so not going to go into details about - if that's ok. 

As far as i know GM's are getting paid in MO. I knew a councilor who was aiming at GM's salary and he was having high hopes for it. I m preety sure it isnt a worthy salary though. 

Originally posted by Vesavius

It's the same old story... PvPers killing their own game for their own short term lolz, and then wondering why no one stays.

PvP focused sandboxes will always ultimately fail because off the type of people that play them.

Not this again....

EvE,DF,AC1...All pretty successfull with EvE having the most consistency of the pack and as time goes by we will see more death penalty mmo's that will most likely adopt EvE's structured safe zone mechanics.

MO is just a shit bad game on its last leg, and yes i think its on last leg reguardless of who ever it is funding it...No buisness man is going to keep investing without seeing any return, even if his daddy is loaded.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Not this again....

EvE,DF,AC1...All pretty successfull with EvE having the most consistency of the pack and as time goes by we will see more death penalty mmo's that will most likely adopt EvE's structured safe zone mechanics.

MO is just a shit bad game on its last leg, and yes i think its on last leg reguardless of who ever it is funding it...No buisness man is going to keep investing without seeing any return, even if his daddy is loaded.

DF successful? really? AC1 is ancient...so all you got is EVE.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

Originally posted by Shivam

Not this again....

DF had a solid run (maybe 2 years?) in which it kept both NA and EU servers very healthy all while releasing 3-4 xpacs and not being able to meet the supply demand at launch....

The flaws in the skill system eventually killed DF1 but reguardless it was very successfull for the run it had...so much so that there making  2.0.... so yeah i would call that successfull.

Who cares if AC1 is ancient.....its still up and running and Darktide is and has always been the most populated server in it....the fact that its "ancient" only strengthens my case.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Shivam

Not this again....

DF had a solid run (maybe 2 years?) in which it kept both NA and EU servers very healthy all while releasing 3-4 xpacs and not being able to meet the supply demand at launch....

The flaws in the skill system eventually killed DF1 but reguardless it was very successfull for the run it had...so much so that there making  2.0.... so yeah i would call that successfull.

Who cares if AC1 is ancient.....its still up and running and Darktide is and has always been the most populated server in it....the fact that its "ancient" only strengthens my case.

You call 2 years run a solid run? even though DF struggled  with subs for all these 2 years? but i guess for sandbox lovers that is what counts success? So let us see, a game which is dead, another one which is ancient and one above average performing sandbox..that is three in total. Even though i will only give EVE credit out of all three.

No wonder investors run away from sinking money in sandboxes.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

Tell me exactly what it is I assumed?

I was there for both so I can confirm MO had a worse launch.

I have continously checked in on both so I KNOW that ER had more players on average than MO

Masthead had actual game developers working for them which SV does not.

Yes, Masthead was charging AAA prices for a long while up until they hit the population level of Mortal Online and then they stopped and decided to go the free to play route. This never came to pass and the game has shut down.

And no don't make the mistake of asuming that I think they just genuinely care about the players, they simply saw the writing on the wall and knew if they continued charging what they were charging for an incomplete buggy game they wouldn't have a player base left.

Mortal Onlines population continues to dwindle just like Earthrises did, they've run so low on funds they can't even afford to do a proper advertising campaigne so they "encourage" fans to come to these kinds of sites and make fake reviews and generate false hype about the game.

The situations for both games are almost completely identical. Masthead tried to at least be intellegent about it, quit charging what few remain and at least try to salvage things by converting to a free to play model.

While neither company truly cares about its players, Masthead in the end at least showed better business sense than SV. SV (in the almost exact same boat as Masthead though with less money, less people and less talent) however wishes to handle it with a blind eye, if we don't aknowledge that we have failed then maybe we won't fail! Keep saying over and over that everythings wonderful!

Show me an asumption on my part?

Your right your not assuming anything anymore...your just lyiing.

Saying ER had a better population than MO on average is such BS and shows that your just taking out your a^^. It truely is a ridiculous statement and if you had actually played both games you wouldn't have said something so stupid.  I honestly could link a ton of post and such from the ER forums proving it but it's not worth it. Your not afraid to lie to support your side of the argument so theres no point in agruing with you.

Nah, no need to lie lol. Surpassing MO's player base isn't exactly hard. I mean you guys can shout "The population is booming, ignore the financials, ignore what you see in game, ignore what others are saying, listen to us" all you want, but it isn't going to change what is. Prior to suspending the monthly fee ER had a larger population than MO. Your gut feeling that MO had to have had more players means squat to me. 

But in the end it doesn't really matter. Anyone can look at the two situations and form there own opinion with there own experiences. I'm simply glad it was a fan that brought it up so there can't be any QQ's about compairing the two games lol.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Not this again....

I would not pile up EvE together with other FFA "sandboxes" such as MO and DF. EvE actually went smart with its design of well protected zone which gradually fade the further you go, resulting in a very solid safe area for crafters and non PvPres to play in, leaving the outskirts to the guilds to fight for. MO and DF got nothing of this, ouside of town it is lawless zone everywhere you go.

That's the difference between good design and henrik design.