Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How much money have you spent on MMOs you can no longer access without shelling out more cash?

Z3R01Z3R01 Member UncommonPosts: 2,425

A simple question really. 

You buy a client, a monthly sub, in game items or whatever. Then decide the game isn't for you and you stop. Everything you paid for is locked away, no access unless you shell out more money. You paid but you own nothing. 

So I ask How much money have you spent on nothing, MMOs you can no longer access without paying more money?

It doesn't have to be exact, just a round number. Im really interested in seeing what we all wasted on something that was basically a rental.

Playing: Nothing

Looking forward to: Nothing 

Comments

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

$0.00

pay to win is for chumps.

edit: my bad, the clown with 666 in his name that I had to block alerted me I didn't fully understand the basic question of: how much money have I p*ssed away on MMO stuff knowing full well I was merely renting time?

Answer: couple hundred max.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Ugh, I don´t want to think about it.

just on EQ2 I bought the game and 5 expansions (or is it more?), that is like 300 bucks.

And then 5 years of monthly fees, around $900... And that is just EQ2, I been playing mmos on and off since 1996.

Of course it is nothing against the money I spent on alcohol but it still is plenty oc cash.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

15$ * around 12 months of WoW = 180$

15$ * 2 months DDO = 30$

15$ * 2 months STO = 30$

goddamn forgot EVE, 15$ * 6 months = 90$

----

Total = 330$ (not including boxes and expansions)

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by MacroHard

$0.00

pay to win is for chumps.

Next time read the OP before you post.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

the op is asking about paying *anything*  -- even if its just a sub for a game you no longer play

for me probably around 1200.00 for my 5 years of playing everquest from 1999 to 2004

(monthly sub and expansions - no cash shop)

• OnomasOnomas Member UncommonPosts: 1,147

7 + years with SWG

Still play EQ2

Still play PoTBS once in awhile

Still play Vanguard one in awhile

Still play few other mmo's here and there when i get ored.

So yeah SWG:

7 years of subs

4 accounts

all the expansions

And 80$ for that junky mmo called TOR

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I'll part this 3-ways;

1) Most Money Spent P2P - Almost 3 Years worth of SWG and 2 expansions. So... roughly 500-600 dollars.

2) Most Money Spent W/Out Playing - 6-8 months of EVE while just training skills (lesson learned)... 70-90 dollars.

3) Most Money Spent F2P - 10$ per game, but over DFO, SMT:I, Vindictus and Mabinogi. Instant regret in some.

~I've also payed enough in some rental games from Blockbuster (way back when) to more than pay off the game itself;

Twisted Metal 1 and 7th Saga are the only ones that really stand out, though.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

According to my battle.net account history, I've paid for 61 months of WoW subscription (actually a little more than I thought, I thought I'd taken longer gaps in my subscription). So add the original retail box and three expansions to that and we're talking a smidge over $1000 I guess.

Apart from that.. Guild Wars is B2P. Horizons, LOTRO and EQ2 have all gone F2P since I spent purchase and subscription money on them. Other games I've spent money on have always been F2P.

The only other games that would count would be EVE (subscribed to that for three one month spells, I think, so call it $50 or so with the box price) and Rift (just recently bought it for the discount price of $11 and am still on the free month).

So I'd be looking at ballpark of $1100.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

I paid for what I got. A subscription to a service. When I stopped paying I stopped receiving the service. Should I choose to start paying again my subscription to the service will be available again.

I have not paid anything for nothing.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

Originally posted by grunty

I paid for what I got. A subscription to a service. When I stopped paying I stopped receiving the service. Should I choose to start paying again my subscription to the service will be available again.

I agree completely with this answer.  It's a service that people pay for and enjoy.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

Does my house count as an MMO?

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

MMO is a service just like cable/power/phone.

If I don't pay my bills I fully expect to not get cable/power/phone. Same with MMOs.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

I pay 15 bucks a month for a game service, other people go to the movies 2 or 3 times a month and pay damn near 15 bucks each time if you include ticket, food and drinks....so I think I have gotten MORE for my 15 bucks then a mere "rental" as long as I was having fun.

Now, as me how much money I have spent on a game that I did not enjoy or paid lots of money into only to have the developers/publishers ruin it? The answer is a lot higher.

Although this is of course true, I think it's a little unfair to ignore or belittle the disconnect between what players intellectually know and what the game encourages them to emotionally feel.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006

EQ2 + all expansions easily over $300 and now it's gone f2p you have to pay to unlock characters etc. I don't know how much that is since I haven't looked at it for a couple years. Probly cost more than a monthly sub to get everyt

5 year WoW sub which runs out at the end of the month not going to renew it. Probly cost $15 to get it again if I wanted to.

Probly mount up to $100 here and there on afew indie games which I liked but wanted you to donate. Different colour tiles, raise skill cap etc it adds up especially with games which start over again every 12 months or so. Would say $1000 give or take.

Afew f2p games. I think I spent aabout $200 in conquor online total way back just so monsters would hit 1 instead of 5001 on me or something like that.

So, lots of money which could be spent better else where but hey probly won't stop.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

Originally posted by maplestone

Although this is of course true, I think it's a little unfair to ignore or belittle the disconnect between what players intellectually know and what the game encourages them to emotionally feel.

Would this point not also be valid about how someone feels after paying for the service of having the lawn mown or their toilets cleaned? They've received nothing too.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Would this point not also be valid about how someone feels after paying for the service of having the lawn mown or their toilets cleaned? They've received nothing too.

Those services make no effort to create an illusion of possession or ownership.

Neither do the game services. The license agreement state you neither own nor possess anything other than a subscription. If you choose to ignore that agreement then that is your problem. Just like ignoring mowing the lawn or cleaning the toilet.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Like I said in another thread;

"If you actually read an EULA, you'd never sign up for it in the first place."

Again (from the last thread), my first MMO was SWG and I read the entire EULA during a long patching over dial-up. I almost took it right of the HDD after reading about how I own nothing, and the game can be taken down at the owner's discretion, and all that. Irony.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

Neither do the game services. [snip]

I think I'm going to have to stop you there.  We don't agree on this point, because I can't look at an item store selling vanity items and not think they are deliberately encouraging people to *feel* a parallel between renting an in-game with ownership of a physical item.  And I refuse to fault people for thinking this, even if we both know that it's not in their best interests.

Neither do the game services. [snip]

I think I'm going to have to stop you there.  We don't agree on this point, because I can't look at an item store selling vanity items and not think they are deliberately encouraging people to *feel* a parallel between renting an in-game with ownership of a physical item.  And I refuse to fault people for thinking this, even if we both know that it's not in their best interests.

You can ignore the facts if you like. That's your prerogative and choice. I choose not to. As much as you may like to you also can't stop me from approaching this rationally.

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

Originally posted by Z3R01

You buy a client, a monthly sub, in game items or whatever. Then decide the game isn't for you and you stop. Everything you paid for is locked away, no access unless you shell out more money. You paid but you own nothing. 

So I ask How much money have you spent on nothing, MMOs you can no longer access without paying more money?

It doesn't have to be exact, just a round number. Im really interested in seeing what we all wasted on something that was basically a rental.

You have no clue my friend. It's one thing paying money and then having to pay monthly. 

I have games that I payed box+monthly that have been cancelled and are now just paper weights, (FURY, Tabula Rasa, Dungeon Runners...) 

Too much money. I have 13 boxes, $650, and for five years paying a max of 30$ monthly, $1800. I dropped near ~2.5 grand on just MMO's. Which is why I've stopped. 

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Z3R01

it is a rental, Says so in the ToS..

Anyway, idk sub fees since entering the gene(2005) would be about $1000, micro transactions $300?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• myrmxmyrmx Member Posts: 93

i've probably spent 2500$ or so on 6 year of wow 2 year of eve 3 month of rift and 2 weeks of swtor .. Currently bought tera pre order to beta test and i'm probably aiming at 3000$ by the end of 2012 for subscription based mmorpg ... Hopefully i aim to make all that money back whoring myself up in diablo3 selling golds to regain all that money .... Yawn bad sarcarsm.

Is it a lot ? I guess it depends on what you do in your life ... i have a feeling if you feel it's a lot you do not go outside of your house very often...1 movie ticket or a half warm burger with microwave fries is what you get for a month of mmorpg.

The real question is what is the cost of gaming today , and that is a lot higher than 3000$ for a couple year ... I'd guess i've spent at least 12,000$ all around if you include internet monthly , gaming rigs and flatscreens.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

I have a copy of launch FFXI for PS2 (was $100 counting the HDD that came with it), launch PC ($40), 2007 Collection PC ($20), 2007 Collection Xbox 360 ($20), 2008 collection PC ($20), and Ultimate Collection PC ($20). Factor in around 3 years of sub never broken ($500).

WoW (got when Burning Crusade was free) and all the expansions just this past sale for $50. Didn't play past my first month.

EVE Online ($20) and a few months sub ($60).

Ultima Online with all expansions ($60) and a few months sub as well ($60).

Total is ~$1000 (I'm pretty sure I'm forgetting another game I didn't play past the first month).