Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DOTA2: Blizzard Suing Valve Over Trademark

Comments

• TinaKeatingTinaKeating Member Posts: 7

Grate, I am waiting for the new games.

• renrinkenrenrinken Member Posts: 29

DotA already been renamed once =p DotA isnt even its original name.

@Hycoo: MOBA is a extremely vague term that can include games like WoW, Diablo, Bloodline,  Rakion, Gunbound, etc etc.

And yes gunbound is considered a MOBA, speficially a Casual MOBA.  DoTA and Gunbound are obviously completely different games. This is the flaw of the MOBA term, it puts together bunch of completely unrelated games.

Only criteria for a MOBA is "Online competetion that exist in a arena"

And DotA style games barely even fit this, I definitely wouldnt classify a DotA/Dota2/HoN/LoL Map as a arena.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Valve, the last of the truly great developers! Blizzard are scum bags  how they've gone as a company since the merger with Act! Blizz is not even made up of the original talent which gave Blizz its name! They left and some of those created the company that made Guild Wars & now Guild wars 2, and the few others on th diablo team created their hit in the hack and slash last year and making a another to take on Diablo, they were the real talent behind the creation of Warcraft IP & Diablo and it shows in Guild wars 2. Blizzard is in name only now, not developer talent. Now they're acting like Apple with this sue business. With no Valve the mod community that gave rise to such things would never had grown as a community to lead to such things!

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455

Such a hate for blizzard... Did someone from blizzard murdered your families or something? I just dont get why all the hate. Wtf did they do to be hated so much here? 

As I said earlier DOTA is just a fucking copy of starcraft AoS which was made by a blizzard.

• zevianzevian Member UncommonPosts: 403

Im with Blizzard on this one,   They have let the name be used for all kinds of stuff, and now Valve wants to copyright it?  Its like a slap in the face to Blizzard and the person who made the map/mod.  Valve probably could of released dota2 without the name trademark and no one would of said anything.   This one is signed sealed and delivered to Blizzard though, its clear what dota is and where it started.

Also Valve trying to take the name probably freaked Blizzard out a bit since they are releasing a DOTA like BG in the next wow expansion and will probably use that name or similar. 

• Originally posted by kostoslav

Such a hate for blizzard... Did someone from blizzard murdered your families or something? I just dont get why all the hate. Wtf did they do to be hated so much here? 

As I said earlier DOTA is just a fucking copy of starcraft AoS which was made by a blizzard.

no, but i do despise them, eversince my account got hacked while i took a break when BC came out, tried to come back a year later to my account being banned, and them refusing to reverse the ban. Lost an account with 140 days played....i tried multiple times over the years to contact them, and everytime they refuse. wowaccountadmin@blizzard is pure evil....

i havent touched a blizzard product since, and im even going to boycott diablo 3

• ProsonProson Member UncommonPosts: 544

Originally posted by zevian

Im with Blizzard on this one,   They have let the name be used for all kinds of stuff, and now Valve wants to copyright it?  Its like a slap in the face to Blizzard and the person who made the map/mod.  Valve probably could of released dota2 without the name trademark and no one would of said anything.   This one is signed sealed and delivered to Blizzard though, its clear what dota is and where it started.

Also Valve trying to take the name probably freaked Blizzard out a bit since they are releasing a DOTA like BG in the next wow expansion and will probably use that name or similar. 

Well, ofcourse blizzard has let the name be used for all kinds of stuff since they havent had anything to do with it so they have no say in that regard.

I agree though that its abit lame of Valve to copyright it, but i doubt they would go about sueing people who would wanna use the DoTA name or care at all, maybe they have other reasons for copyrighting it, im not sure of all the legal aspect and how all that works, maybe its just something they have to do since they are making it a standalone game and not a mod.

Currently Playing Path of Exile

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

If Valve win no one can use the term DOTA in their game without the risk of getting sued by Valve.

If Blizzard win the term DOTA is free for any one to use in any context.

Who are the bad guys?

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Cikbik

Originally posted by kostoslav

no, but i do despise them, eversince my account got hacked while i took a break when BC came out, tried to come back a year later to my account being banned, and them refusing to reverse the ban. Lost an account with 140 days played....i tried multiple times over the years to contact them, and everytime they refuse. wowaccountadmin@blizzard is pure evil....

i havent touched a blizzard product since, and im even going to boycott diablo 3

If your account got hacked, it is your fault alone. I have never even once been hacked in any game or any other online service. 

Also I find it super hard to believe that Blizzard were not able to assist you. I have a friend who got his account stolen (it was his fault as he had god knows how many keyloggers on his computer) and Blizzard did restore his account

Originally posted by zevian

They are also releasing their own DOTA for Starcraft 2. Plenty of reasons why Blizzard doesn't want Valve to copyright the name. I also agree with them that the new DOTA2 game by Valve may be potentially associated with Blizzard. Anyone who thinks this is ridiculous needs to get a clue.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ZoulzZoulz Member Posts: 477

Well, you can see it this way too: If Warcraft 3 didn't exist, DotA wouldn't either. So I think Blizzard would have at least some claim to DotA. Although i'm not sure if that gives them the right to sue Valve over it. It's really a grey area imo.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Zoulz

Well, you can see it this way too: If Warcraft 3 didn't exist, DotA wouldn't either. So I think Blizzard would have at least some claim to DotA. Although i'm not sure if that gives them the right to sue Valve over it. It's really a grey area imo.

I think legally Blizzard are the owners of the DOTA map in WC3. Before you begin using their WC3 editor, you have to agree to the terms of use and I remember it saying that all content created with the editor is the property of Blizzard Entertainmenet. I think that if Blizzard decides to trademark the name, there will be no way to stop them as they have the legal right to claim the name.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• renrinkenrenrinken Member Posts: 29

Also wanted to note on something others have touched on...

What Blizzard is actually doing is supporting the DoTA/MOBA community. They dont want a monopolization of the name.  Where Valve is completely and selfishly doing this for personal interest. Blizz wants the term DotA to be free for all, Valve wants it to be free for none.

Also something else no one mentioned, what if Valve's DotA2 actually fails ? F2Ps arent omnious nor are they guarenteed endless profits. Maybe after a year or two Valve will determine the servers arent making enough money to warrent the costs to maintain them and shut them down.

What will we have left ? DotA2 dead, but Valve holding onto the name and thus no one else being allowed to us it.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

How are all of you missing whats really going on?

90% of the people in here still think DOTA still has anything to do with the map made on WC3.

The fact is it does not, it has everything to do with TRADEMARK of DOTA.  The reason this is even an issue is because Blizzard  does not own the TRADEMARK of DOTA.  No one does atm.

The reason why everyone is getting upset is becuase both Elu and Icefrog are employed by Valve, thus have the rights towards the TradeMark name.  The reason for Blizzard not wanting it TradeMarked is because they want to be able to freely use it them selfs.  If they tried to TradeMark the game they would fail miserably from never even using the name before.

Blizzard has never touched DOTA.  The DOTA community tried to get Blizzard to support DOTA but they never did.  If you don't think this has everything to do with money and the ability to market HotS you are insane.  Blizzards DOTA is marked to release with HotS.  You will NOT be able to play Blizzards DOTA with out HotS. 

Also the only thing Blizzard owns about the map of DOTA is the coding used in the map editor to make DOTA.  They do not own the idea of the genre of game that DOTA is.  But again this has nothing to do with the case at hand. 

Ask your self this does DOTA mean anything other than DOTA the game?

If the answer is yes tell me what it means.

If no then theres one point Blizzard is trying to argue that fails.

Second Blizzard is trying to say Valve is trying to get consumers confused and think Valve and Blizzard are working together on the project. 

Do you think this is ture?  I sure as hell don't nor will a judge.

EDIT:

Anyone claiming Blizzard is supporting the DOTA community is full of shit.  They want to use the DOTA name for themselvs as is already apparent with Blizzard DOTA.

The true supports of DOTA are well IceFrog and Elu and well Valve because they hired them to do their thing.  Make a damn good ARTS.

• zephermarkuszephermarkus Member Posts: 201

This is just gonna make blizzard disliked even more now personally for me theyhaven't made a good game since diable 2 and warcraft 3...world of warcraft was always what i thought of as an everquest for dummies likes the for dummies books u can buy.

Blizz has no right to the dota name at all dota was a mod not a blizzard product. I will boycott blizzard now anyway.

Originally posted by onlinenow25

EDIT:

Anyone claiming Blizzard is supporting the DOTA community is full of shit.  They want to use the DOTA name for themselvs as is already apparent with Blizzard DOTA.

The true supports of DOTA are well IceFrog and Elu and well Valve because they hired them to do their thing.  Make a damn good ARTS.

And thats the issue, if Valve win and can trademake DOTA then blizzard and NO OTHER DEVELOPER can call their game '[whatever] dota' or even call it a DOTA style game.... this will make it hard if not imposible for other developers to compete with DOTA2 cus those other developers can not legally say it's a DOTA game (in print atleast).  

Valve want it ALL for themselves, it's valve who are in the wrong here, they did not invent DOTA yet they want to pretend they did.

Blizzard would have no issue if Vavle was not trying to TM DOTA, blizzard has no issue if valve call it DOTA2 they just dont want valve (or any one) to own the DOTA name.

Originally posted by zephermarkus

This is just gonna make blizzard disliked even more now personally for me theyhaven't made a good game since diable 2 and warcraft 3...world of warcraft was always what i thought of as an everquest for dummies likes the for dummies books u can buy.

Blizz has no right to the dota name at all dota was a mod not a blizzard product. I will boycott blizzard now anyway.

And I assume you're going to boycott Valve too? cus they have no claim to the dota name either.  I guess you forgot to type that, too busy thumbing through your collection of dummy books?

• MisatoTremorMisatoTremor Member UncommonPosts: 72

Originally posted by expresso

Originally posted by onlinenow25

EDIT:

And thats the issue, if Valve win and can trademake DOTA then blizzard and NO OTHER DEVELOPER can call their game '[whatever] dota' or even call it a DOTA style game.... this will make it hard if not imposible for other developers to compete with DOTA2 cus those other developers can not legally say it's a DOTA game (in print atleast).  

Valve want it ALL for themselves, it's valve who are in the wrong here, they did not invent DOTA yet they want to pretend they did.

Blizzard would have no issue if Vavle was not trying to TM DOTA, blizzard has no issue if valve call it DOTA2 they just dont want valve (or any one) to own the DOTA name.

Correct. It is what most people seem to misunderstand. Blizzard is in this case not going to trademark DotA for themselves, but just trying to prevent Valve from doing, so that the term can be freely used as it was for the last years.

I have no grudge against Valve as I like their games, but I can't see what other purpose they have with this trademark claim other than preventing the free use of the term DotA.

Misato - TankDoc for Life

What many here don't seem to understand is that Blizzard have no issue with Valve calling their game DOTA2, they would not and cannot force Valve to change the name becuase Blizzard do not own the name of DOTA, and do not want to own the name DOTA.  

It was only when valve filed for ownership of the name DOTA that blizzard took action, DOTA is term used for a kind of game, a genre of game born from the WC3 modding community.  Valve has no right to claim ownership of something they contributed nothing to, forget about icefrog he was just a caretaker the hard work was done before he came on board.

If Valve get to TM DOTA then any developer wanting to make a DOTA game will find it very difficult indeed.  Valve want to own the name and shut it away so only they can use it.  How is that fair?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Don't really see what a big deal this is, especially on this site over FPS game at that.  Problem with trademarks, they far too easy to get and way too expensive to fight.  I know one company was trying to sue anyone using "Scrolls" in their game name when it is obvious the legality of such is extremely weak.   

As to DOTA, they obviously did not do their homework when they named the game.  Really stupid if you ask me when it is so easy to search for such on the net.  Really does not matter if Blizzard has a right to the trademark or not,  The name was already taken.

• jungleninjajungleninja Member UncommonPosts: 206

Originally posted by reignjuste

Dota belongs to some guy named icefrog.Whats this all about.Icefrog created this game that became popular and some other guys before him have created something similar in starcraft if im correct.

What tha fuck wants blizzard now.They created a crap warcraft 3 game and icefrog gave it life.So dota belongs to icefrog not blizzard.Americans are all crap heads indeed.They may sue us one day because we breath.

So, discriminating are we huh? Calling all Americans crap heads is a bad thing. Not all Americans are bad. Where do  you come from? You should be ashamed of yourself.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by expresso

If Valve win no one can use the term DOTA in their game without the risk of getting sued by Valve.

If Blizzard win the term DOTA is free for any one to use in any context.

Who are the bad guys?

Wait so if Blizzard wins Valve can just call it DOTA 2 anyway since you said free for anyone to use in any context.

Or maybe Blizzard is saying they have the rights to DOTA trademark.

Seriously clue in people.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• NewfrNewfr Member UncommonPosts: 133

As far as i know Blizzard did exactly nothing about helping IceFrog or DotA community. And they were asked about it. Constantly. Like "why we have to share out money this some guys?" So now their claims that they care about community and game looks pathetic to me. Why the hell you care just now when big moneys involved? No, i'll never belive in that after they became super greedy Blizzard/Activision with that Kotick guy in charge.

While Valve hire successful mod-makers and publish their games. That happened with Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat. And they going to publish DotA 2 now. And for that i respect Valve. They give to mod-makers what they rightfully deserve. And about Team Fortress. That was a very popular Quake mod at first, but Valve hired mod devs and made Team Fortress Classic. And ID software wasn't like "it's been used exclusively by ID and its fan community so you can't use Team Fortress name".

So I hope Valve will win this one.

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120

Originally posted by Newfr

As far as i know Blizzard did exactly nothing about helping IceFrog or DotA community. And they were asked about it. Constantly. Like "why we have to share out money this some guys?" So now their claims that they care about community and game looks pathetic to me. Why the hell you care just now when big moneys involved? No, i'll never belive in that after they became super greedy Blizzard/Activision with that Kotick guy in charge.

While Valve hire successful mod-makers and publish their games. That happened with Team Fortress, Counter-Strike, Day of Defeat. And they going to publish DotA 2 now. And for that i respect Valve. They give to mod-makers what they rightfully deserve. And about Team Fortress. That was a very popular Quake mod at first, but Valve hired mod devs and made Team Fortress Classic. And ID software wasn't like "it's been used exclusively by ID and its fan community so you can't use Team Fortress name".

So I hope Valve will win this one.

Yes, they never care! They never care to provide to IceFrog every tools he need. They never care to promote DOTA ! They never care to hold and promote championship's of DOTA! They never care to fund championship's ( and because of this, IceFrog won some big money ) ! They never care to re-configure their servers to hold more players to battle in DOTA over battle.net ! They never care about VALVE DOTA, when they announced it. They never care about the community now, when they are fighting to keep the DOTA name free of use.

Right..

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by Loke666

That seems a bit odd, while dota was a mod it wasn´t really made by Blizzard.

They could possibly sue because the game more or less look like WC3 though but if you can sue for that we would see plenty of MMOs in trouble.

Meh, I never got this American idea hat you should sue people for as many things as possible (like spilling hot coffee in your own lap and crap), I hope Blizzard loses this one.

DOTA was a wonderfully made mod and the right to the name and mod specific things should be to Eul and  Guinsoo.

I would agree with this argument more if they were suing for money.  They basically just don't want the name DOTA trademarked.  My guess is that they are just doing this to make sure they can market their own DOTA product with DOTA in the name without paying valve royalties.  They aren't saying that valve can't use the name DOTA they are simply saying that they shouldn't be allowed to trademark that name.  This really isn't that big of a deal, and it happens in the movie business quite a bit over movie titles that are too similar to one another.  The one that pops up in my head is from the late 90s when the movie Scream was released after a movie called Screamers had been released, and the makers of Screamers tried to keep Scream from being released because of the similar name.  Blizzard isn't even going that far they just don't want it trademarked.

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,049

Originally posted by Ozmodan

Don't really see what a big deal this is, especially on this site over FPS game at that.  Problem with trademarks, they far too easy to get and way too expensive to fight.  I know one company was trying to sue anyone using "Scrolls" in their game name when it is obvious the legality of such is extremely weak.   

As to DOTA, they obviously did not do their homework when they named the game.  Really stupid if you ask me when it is so easy to search for such on the net.  Really does not matter if Blizzard has a right to the trademark or not,  The name was already taken.

Blizzard doesn't own the trademark on the name, nobody does.  That is what they are trying to prevent.  They don't seem to care if Valve uses DOTA in their title, but they don't want them to trademark it so that nobody else can use it either.