Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Please, old gamers, read this and tell me if im the only one -.-"

Hi there,

its my first post on this forum, and english is not my first language so i apologize for any errors wich may be in my post.

so, why am I here? why am I writing this now instead of playing my fav. mmo? well thats kind of the reason... there is no!!

this thread will look as a QQ thread, well it kinda is.

-----

so here we go, today's mmos are far more popular that they were back few years ago when i started playing but allaround the quality just fell sooo drastcicly ... i feel like the only thing improving is the graphics and everything else just keeps gettin' worse

My basic points of complain are the following, wich in my eyes ruins today mmos and makes it just rpg with internet conection.

1. INSTANCED DUNGENS ... why? why? why?   why does it have to be instanced ??? odl sql dungens were part of the open world... sure the mobs were bit harder in there but so was the exp and lot (more rewarding) .. there were fights over the good grinding spots between guilds and alliances wich made it one of the most exciting aspects of the game. Instanced RUIN EVERYTHING = go in kill some mobs, then the boss = dungen cleared (gets boooriiing, or no?)  no competition no nothing, feels like rpg style sorry

2. LEVELING CURVE for me, THATS the reason all new mmos WILL fail... tera (2 weeks to max lvl = JOKE) thats why it failed in korea and japan ... i bet everything i have that the future of gw2 will be the same ... we all know leveling is a peace of cake there also .. the only thing it will show after a year of two is the pvp aspect of the game, but that will be enough just too keep the hard core pvpers in the game ... i know now i will get flamed by gw2 lovers but idc its my opinion

aion is doing good in korea cuz its the most grindy of them all.

wich makes me come to 2.0 leveling curve, WHY do they make arcade mmos in wich u reach max lvl in a month or two easy gaming ... why do they make lvl cap at all ???? it would be soooo more intresting that the exp would grow all the time even if the mobs give 0,0000000000001% exp 

at least there is some progression FOR GODS SAKE, wouldnt hurt if there is no max lvl !!!

now people again will say, omg you like grind omg noob get life bla bla bla ...

THE ONLY AND I MEAN THE ONLY reason why they have low lvl cap is so new players wich come after few months can still catch up with old players... thats all ... but still its no excuse!!!

everything is sooooooo easy nowdays, back in time in a game i played the whole allince had to give money for a frineds item cuz there were just 2 wepons of that grade on the whole server and that was 5 years after the game was released, TODAY??? 1 month max gear, max lvl, max everything ffs

people do get bored with this games and thats why nothing lasts more then a year before it starts to flop

todays mmo market is just to much focused on (wont even call them casual gamers)  people who play single player games all day but wanna chat also ...

---

so my mmo now would look like;

1. no leveling cap or at least a cap wich requiers a year or two grind

2. massive open world

3. no instance at all

4. max lvl gear should be very very very hard to obtain not that after few monts every noob walks around with max gear looking same as every1 else lolz

5. some castle siege, teritory wars and economyc/political play

6. (this point is very debateble since its pure subjective opinion) i dont like gunners replacing archers nowdays .. + enginers etc bljahhh (well i like asian style sorry ;D) neither do i like animal races but i can live without point 6 ^^

---

well nice last words,

today mmos = single play games with chat option

------

sorry for language again, hope at least some agree with me...

BRING GRINDERS BACK!!!!!!!

Comments

• SojhinSojhin Member UncommonPosts: 226

eh, I would agree with you on "grinding" as a useful portion to a game if this also equaled risk. Considering the remaining points you raise in criticism I have some agreement but notwithstanding some magical ability to lock a board of investors and some voodoo mind meld technique this game model you are looking for seems unlikely.  Perhaps Archeage?

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by xpinkfl0ydx

Hi there,

its my first post on this forum, and english is not my first language so i apologize for any errors wich may be in my post.

so, why am I here? why am I writing this now instead of playing my fav. mmo? well thats kind of the reason... there is no!!

-----

so here we go, today's mmos are far more popular that they were back few years ago when i started playing but allaround the quality just fell sooo drastcicly ... i feel like the only thing improving is the graphics and everything else just keeps gettin' worse

My basic points of complain are the following, wich in my eyes ruins today mmos and makes it just rpg with internet conection.

1. INSTANCED DUNGENS ... why? why? why?   why does it have to be instanced ??? odl sql dungens were part of the open world... sure the mobs were bit harder in there but so was the exp and lot (more rewarding) .. there were fights over the good grinding spots between guilds and alliances wich made it one of the most exciting aspects of the game. Instanced RUIN EVERYTHING = go in kill some mobs, then the boss = dungen cleared (gets boooriiing, or no?)  no competition no nothing, feels like rpg style sorry

2. LEVELING CURVE for me, THATS the reason all new mmos WILL fail... tera (2 weeks to max lvl = JOKE) thats why it failed in korea and japan ... i bet everything i have that the future of gw2 will be the same ... we all know leveling is a peace of cake there also .. the only thing it will show after a year of two is the pvp aspect of the game, but that will be enough just too keep the hard core pvpers in the game ... i know now i will get flamed by gw2 lovers but idc its my opinion

wich makes me come to 2.0 leveling curve, WHY do they make arcade mmos in wich u reach max lvl in a month or two easy gaming ... why do they make lvl cap at all ???? it would be soooo more intresting that the exp would grow all the time even if the mobs give 0,0000000000001% exp 

at least there is some progression FOR GODS SAKE, wouldnt hurt if there is no max lvl !!!

THE ONLY AND I MEAN THE ONLY reason why they have low lvl cap is so new players wich come after few months can still catch up with old players... thats all ... but still its no excuse!!!

everything is sooooooo easy nowdays, back in time in a game i played the whole allince had to give money for a frineds item cuz there were just 2 wepons of that grade on the whole server and that was 5 years after the game was released, TODAY??? 1 month max gear, max lvl, max everything ffs

people do get bored with this games and thats why nothing lasts more then a year before it starts to flop

todays mmo market is just to much focused on (wont even call them casual gamers)  people who play single player games all day but wanna chat also ...

---

2. massive open world

3. no instance at all

4. max lvl gear should be very very very hard to obtain not that after few monts every noob walks around with max gear looking same as every1 else lolz

6. (this point is very debateble since its pure subjective opinion) i dont like gunners replacing archers nowdays .. + enginers etc bljahhh (well i like asian style sorry ;D) neither do i like animal races but i can live without point 6 ^^

---

well nice last words,

------

its just you

• djmtottdjmtott Member Posts: 177

I don't mind instanced dungeons. Very few things more annoying than having to wait for a dungeon respawn. 

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Many old gamers agree with the OP, including me

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

I'm certainly what can be considered an old gamer, having been involved in the original MUDs when I was at Essex. Heh

I'm in agreement with the OP on every 'want' listed, aside from the one regarding instancing. I actually like a bit. Dungeon crawls were great and still often are, but online gaming has changed and it's now filled with players that do things just to spite you. Spending hours going afer a contested mob just to have the invibile group following you pop out whilst you're preparing REALLY sucks. Waiting for critical respawns can be a pain too.Well, I think so.

I'd suggest having a 50/50 balance of instanced and non-instanced dungeons, so the player can choose to fit their current mood.

Oh, and I absolutely hate gunners/engineers etc replacing archers/wizards. Keep my pew-pew pure! ;)

• ololuluololulu Member UncommonPosts: 164

For some reason i think that we need a mmo look more like Runescape(takes months- years to complete goals).

I guess i just need a very good sandbox game since themepark is pretty much dead for me.

I'm still waiting for a decent themepark that takes more than a week to max.

I'm also graphics fan so i don't like to make blocks out of blocks.

So i feel that i am with you 100%

1. no leveling cap or at least a cap wich requiers a year or two grind - CHECK

2. massive open world - CHECK

3. no instance at all - CHECK

4. max lvl gear should be very very very hard to obtain not that after few monts every noob walks around with max gear looking same as every1 else lolz   - CHECK

5. some castle siege, teritory wars and economyc/political play    - CHECK

6. Other things to do besides fighting  - My opinion

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Hi there,

-----

---

2. massive open world

3. no instance at all

---

well nice last words,

------

I agree with ya.Wait for archeage as everyone does.

No real mmos for the moment

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89

Originally posted by djmtott

I don't mind instanced dungeons. Very few things more annoying than having to wait for a dungeon respawn. 

That is true, waiting for respawn is not fun. But what is the cause for that? I think its world and quest design. Lets call it the Hogger Effect.  Heck, same thing happened to me yesterday in TERA, there is a mob in the starting area everybody has to kill, and then you have your 20 players gathered around his corpse, waiting for him to respawn.  

So as far as i am concerned, instanced areas were invented to counter this effect. 

I am sure, there can be other ways to handle questing in MMOs.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

You're not the only one, but you're definitely in the minority.

1. Instanced dungeons.  Why?  Well (a) no more waiting on camped bosses, (b) mazes sprinkled with mob spawns were never very interesting, and (c) content can't be zerged so player decisions are more meaningful.

2. The end of leveling isn't the end of the game (no matter how much it's called "endgame".)  You have to ask yourself whether you're playing the game to have fun, or whether your entire focus is leveling.  If it's the latter, you were doomed to be dissatisfied with MMORPGs anyway imo.  (And you already hit on the main reason MMORPGs do it: to let new players play with old ones so the game can be social and group-based.  Otherwise you'd have level 255s doing level 255 content and complaining there aren't enough level 255 players.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• valunvalun Member UncommonPosts: 203

1-6 agree. OP go play vanguard with me :)

Are you stupid? Do you think i'm gonna waste my life for real life?image
  • UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Hi there,

-----

---

Vanguard will take you months to level in just adventuring,in some cases it could be a 6 months to a year.Then you have crafting which has it's own system which is a whole other game in itself.Own crafting armour with stats and quests plus rewards and all to level 55.

CRAFTING http://vanguardvault.ign.com/wiki/index.php/Crafting_Overview

Then you have Diplomacy which will also take you months on end to level,that also has it's own quests and armour and will also take you all over the VAST OPEN WORLD of Telon.

DIPLOMACY http://wiki.silkyvenom.com/index.php/Diplomacy

2. massive open world

Vanguard has a vast open world that is vast beyound compare when it comes to fantasy MMO,it really is immense.

Go anywhere you want from any level as far as the eye can see,no walls or barriers.Fly,run,ride,it's up to you,okay you will die trying but that's what exploring is about,the unknown.

3. no instance at all

Vanguard has many many dungeons,some are small some are med and some are vast.Many of them would be classes as raid dungeons in other MMO,some take weeks to complete and you can spend days in them.The good thing is that you can never get bored because they are spread out all over the world and their are many for each level.

Every single one of them is an OPEN DUNGEON,no one instance among them.

This is an old list,their are more than you see here http://vanguard.wikia.com/wiki/Dungeons

You better have the time and effort to work hard for the nice gear in Vanguard but armour looks great at all levels,download the free trail and look at the starter armour,it's great.

Starter Armour..

Diplomacy no castle siege i am afraid.

---

well nice last words,

------

Vanguard also has non instance housing and ship building.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5lXH4PIxww&feature=related

http://wiki.silkyvenom.com/index.php/House

Yes ity has a low population but SOE have now put a whole team to work on Vanguard,big updates are on their way ,now is a great time to dive in and start levelling your character.

• Lupinde3rdLupinde3rd Member Posts: 46

100% agree with the op.

Only thing that has gotten better over time with most mmo's is the graphics, the rest sux's especially that lack of depth I come to find in most mmo's. Just sick of these giant turds they keep spewing out.

My last hope lies with Archage and even DF 2.0

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I agree as well, OP. I think you need to look for eastern MMOs. If you check forums and there are complaints that they are too grindy, or F2P games where players complain that without item shop things the game is either too difficult or takes "insanely long" to level you may have found a game you'd be interested in.

Personally, I've just gone back to EQ1 because I can't stand the fast food culture that MMOs have become. That being said- there are numerous things I'd forgotten about the game that are just kind of clunky, but you have to take the bad with the good. I'll tell you though, I wish I could find a game with the polish and fluid combat WoW has but with fewer (if any) instances, and all mobs outside of the tutorial/beginner areas being super elite to the point that it would take 3+ players just to level at a decent pace.

Perhaps at some point there will be a private server at least with the mob difficulty, who knows. At any rate I've given up on western MMOs and I think those aspects of MMOs that you value are things that western devs have no intention of using.

• 0Neo00Neo0 Member UncommonPosts: 47

+1 Vanguard for the win,Bloody awsome game.:)

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

no castle sieges, puuh. and no GEAR, make game more relial how you move and how you play with your char than let the gear to the talking and you just one button smash.

i agree no level cap but surely there still needs to be skill cap. dont mind if i see someone with 500 levels it just tells everyone how long that person might have been playing. or daynight grinding if i say.

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by Timukas

Instead of slower leveling I'd prefer no levels at all and tons of skills to aquire instead. I agree that quick leveling like in SWTOR is pointless - today you get that über armor and tomorrow you have outleveled it. Five levels higher green is better than this purple. 

And yes, I want bigger worlds and less instances. Technology has become so much better over the last 10-15 years but all MMOs have somehow gone backwards. Maybe it's because of suits that run MMO companies these days instead of guys creating their dream game. I don't know but I get more and more bored of this genre.

Again, this sort of mechanic would work great in a single player RPG, but it would be a real problem for MMOs. You would inevitably end up with characters that can do everything. This lessens the reason to group when everyone's class is "god".

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

I agree to some of your points... But I think if they changed the game mechanics, made It more about Crafting, let weapons, armour, ships,vehicles get destroyed.. let people make guild halls, cities or castles.. And overal just let the player be in control of the politics ingame. This would open up the game so much more and make it about something more then just running in a mouse Wheel for gear..

On the point you are making on GW2 its still free to play after you have bought it.. they dont have to keep you ingame, If you buy the next expansion they are just happy with that. The Pay to Play modual is what suffers when you have nothing for the players 2 do accept repeat the same content over and over.

If Companies FOCUSED on the comunity and giving them tools to have fun, player will keep other players ingame. If you let them cunstruct things and work for a goal as a team they have more reasons to stay.. Modern MMOS are way to much focuesed on "WHATS IN IT FOR ME" this dosent build comunity and it dosent keep players playing...

So to sum it up.. instead of making a Horrible grind.. Let the players Build, change and effect the game world, focus on comunity tools, Guilds etc.. Make everything destructible, by doing this people will always have to keep Reparing and Bulding new things..

Originally posted by Zlayer77

I agree to some of your points... But I think if they changed the game mechanics, made It more about Crafting, let weapons, armour, ships,vehicles get destroyed.. let people make guild halls, cities or castles.. And overal just let the player be in control of the politics ingame. This would open up the game so much more and make it about something more then just running in a mouse Wheel for gear..

On the point you are making on GW2 its still free to play after you have bought it.. they dont have to keep you ingame, If you buy the next expansion they are just happy with that. The Pay to Play modual is what suffers when you have nothing for the players 2 do accept repeat the same content over and over.

If Companies FOCUSED on the comunity and giving them tools to have fun, player will keep other players ingame. If you let them cunstruct things and work for a goal as a team they have more reasons to stay.. Modern MMOS are way to much focuesed on "WHATS IN IT FOR ME" this dosent build comunity and it dosent keep players playing...

So to sum it up.. instead of making a Horrible grind.. Let the players Build, change and effect the game world, focus on comunity tools, Guilds etc.. Make everything destructible, by doing this people will always have to keep Reparing and Bulding new things..

Just to try to understand...

repeating the same thing over and over is bad...unless it means rebuilding what other players destroy over and over?

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

All these great features of old, were inconveniences. That's why we have MMO-Lite today.

Instances was made to combat fighting over spawns and rediculous group lists, not to mention other people sending trains of mobs to your location wiping your group. You and I may think this adds a fun unpredictable risk factor, that makes it that much more great, doesn't mean others felt the same way. There were some real hardcore nerd raging going on back then, by people that simply couldn't handle that type of mechanics emotionally

All the features taken away from us is because we the gamers didn't want them there

None instanced dungeons helped foster community. You would help other groups with bad pulls if you happened to be in the vicinity. You would help recover their corpses if they wiped. People used the general chat in whatever dungeon they were camping to chat with other groups in the same area, which again meant you got to know people outside your own guild or circle of friends. I've had some fun conversations in lower guk late nights camping that haste sash/ykesha.

Sometimes while waiting for a spot in a group you would hang around helping out with heals and buffs etc. This is something completely missing in todays MMOs because not only have we done away with open dungeons but buffs too, that actually made a difference. We only get 1 tenth of them if even that. Take SWTOR as an example or even Rift. You get 1 buff to cast on others that's it. Two if you are lucky. What MMO today do you have people out there asking for buffs. Practically none.

The downside to all the "positive" things was frustations of dying by some other players hands, because they ran past your group with 10 mobs on their tail. You had to find something to do while being on the list to get a group in a good xp spot. If you wanted to raid, you had to rush it, or you would be kicking and and screaming at that other guild who beat you to the punch, while you were preparing. Or worse case scenario a jerkoff guild with a dedicated group running interference for you so you couldn't prepare in time

So yes you can't have it all. You can't whine about kill stealing, mob trains and griefers getting you killed for fun while at the same time complain todays game has no community and how instances are the devil. You along with everybody else are the reason for that

Originally posted by Starpower

All the features taken away from us is because we the gamers didn't want them there

I'd say they were taken away because the non-gamers didn't want them there.

There just happened to be a lot more non-gamers than gamers for companies to capitalize on.

Those non-gamers then became the modern-day "gamers" leaving us old gamers in a completely separate, and largely neglected, category.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

OP if you aren't deadset on a fantasy settign PM me I know of a great Sci Fi Sandbox MMO that I have been playing for 4 years.

I don't understand why the carebears make a distinction between being killed by a pvp player or an npc. What difference does it make? Oh ya the player is an actual challenge. These new players have had everything handed to them since birth, adn it refelcts in the way they play and want to play their MMO's.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• StonesDKStonesDK Member UncommonPosts: 1,805

Originally posted by FrostWyrm

Originally posted by Starpower

I'd say they were taken away because the non-gamers didn't want them there.

There just happened to be a lot more non-gamers than gamers for companies to capitalize on.

Those non-gamers then became the modern-day "gamers" leaving us old gamers in a completely separate, and largely neglected, category.

No

It's pretty simple really. People back then were fed up with the then current systems of doing things. Everybody was a real gamer back then. MMOs weren't mainstream so those that played were fans of a relatively new genre. The majority back then were fed up with timesinks and every negative aspects of the games.

The whining and complaing came from both the top of the crop of hardcore raiders to the casual weekend warrior.

The people today looking back wishing it was 99' all over again, are the same people who complained back then. The only difference is they the gamers, had no idea what they were asking for. They thought they could retain all the positive aspects of a real MMO, while do away with all the bad. Problem was, a lot of those things walked hand in hand. People had fun in East Commonlands while selling stuff because there were no auction house, people developed tight bonds with eachother because death penalties were unforgiving forcing you to stick to people you knew could play. No xp quest system meant you sat still in one spot with a group for hours, while chatting and getting to know each other because you were bored.

All the negative crap people say they hope never come back spawned a whole host of positive things too you will never get back as well

This is one of the main reasons why developers shouldn't take directions from gamers. They often ask for things they don't see the full ramifications of.

• ZierrityZierrity Member UncommonPosts: 242

I do agree with OP on pretty much everything... MMO players pretty much get everything handed to them on a silver plate nowadays -_-'

Swtor must be the best example yes, it was easy to get good gear all the way to 50, and the time it took to reach lvl 50 was a joke, (this coming from a former swtor "fanboy").

But then again, I am not a big fan of hardcore Grinding either :P

I do want to point out though, (and this is kind of off topic, but since you mentioned it)

2 weeks to max lvl in TERA is an Exaggeration, I played the korean version of TERA, and we're talking about a minumum of 5 hours daily, and reached lvl 41 in about 3-4 weeks. This was at launch though, I don't really know if they nerfed the leveling curve, and if they did, I say they took a step backwards >.>

But sorry, that last part was off topic x3

Back to the discussion about the sad evolution of MMORPGs :<

• IndolIndol Member Posts: 189

I'm certainly with you OP. Though we must also take into account the fact that when the olden mmorpg's came out they were fresh to us, just like SWTOR im sure feels fresh to people new to the scene.

It's all relative i suppose, but it's undeniable that the whole 'Massively Multiplayer' part of the equation is becoming less and less important to most developers.

Open dungeons with dozens of other players in them have a magic that cannot be felt in instanced dungeons.

Here is how you have non-instanced dungeons without mob camping: Make all mobs simply drop money and have player crafting as the only source of gear.