Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most fun MMO gameplay in loooong looong time !

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

One word about TERA : Gameplay is fun !

Its almost fun as Amalur Reckonig , and everyone is raving about how that game combat is fun. And imagine that this is MMO

A genre that we connect with boring select and click shortcuts gameplay.

I mean the gameplay is like Vindictus, but with much more variety (in classes and skills) and its completely open world, actually massive MMO (something we forgot)

And there is no LAG , which everyone said its impossible to make twitch based MMO because of.

Plus Graphic looks amazing and runs amazingly well and optimised on any machine.

I dont care whatever you have to say about the game. Endgame, grind, themepark...

Fun gameplay tops all in my book :)

And twitch based , skill based PVP ... nice :)

Comments

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Lobo, we enjoy the combat but I believe the majority won't be able to cope.

Think back to the MMOs with archaic combat (SWoWTOR, WoW, RIFT). How many do not get the concept of: move. out. of. the. fricking. fire?

And now they have to look at what's happening on screen, think fast, react? 

That makes two hurdles a potential player has to get over. First is the art direction. Second is the combat.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Yea. I hear you...

Sad really. Its finally a MMO I dont fall asleep while playing :S

• HerodesHerodes Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

The stop-go-stop-go thing when using skills may also turn many people off. The dodge-skill my priest got at level 6 made the gameplay more dynamic.

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

I'll try it eventually and I hope the combat really is fun but KoA was a horrible example to use for me personally since I found the combat in that game to be kinda boring.

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by narakuu

I'll try it eventually and I hope the combat really is fun but KoA was a horrible example to use for me personally since I found the combat in that game to be kinda boring.

I found that entire game to be a fried turd. So yeah, poor comparison.

Originally posted by Alot

If you didnt like combat ( and i mean combat, not quests or graphic or sound ) than you will not like TERA either.

Go back to target select, shortcut press , yawn fest

• xKingdomxxKingdomx Member UncommonPosts: 1,541

Originally posted by NBlitz

Think back to the MMOs with archaic combat (SWoWTOR, WoW, RIFT). How many do not get the concept of: move. out. of. the. fricking. fire?

That makes two hurdles a potential player has to get over. First is the art direction. Second is the combat.

I don't have a problem with the art direction.

But I have to say, I experience some lag when dueling with other players. Like I wasn't even able to hit him when he is right in front of me. Yes I asked him to test this with me the second time.

It is impossible to have "no LAG" in a MMORPG, you are in one place, im in another. there is distance between us and the servers. There is lag.

But yeah, the combat was hectic fun, killed a elite without taking any damage =3 feel like a boss xD

How much WoW could a WoWhater hate, if a WoWhater could hate WoW?
    As much WoW as a WoWhater would, if a WoWhater could hate WoW.

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

Ever since I played Morrowind I've been a huge fan of no tab targeting and weapon swings being AEs etc so Tera combat feels great but the PvE still bores me and it's because of mobs dificulty.

My highest char is level 12 atm and I still have no clue what happens on death because none of my chars died yet.

Actually I don't think the health bar ever went under 80%, and that's bad, I've never seen such easy PVE and I've played most MMOs worth playing since Everquest.

The nice combat is going to waste because the lack of challenge.

I shouldn't wait until level 20 to solo BAMs (which are group mobs/elites ) just so I can challenge myself a bit.

If theres open world ganking on PVP servers, it might keep me on my toes I guess but I don't know if that's the case and I can't believe that I just wished there are gankers all over the place just to spice things up heh.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Finally someone agrees with me =)   Yes the combat is a step in the right direction,  and finally a company has found a way to bring outstanding graphics, collision detection, free aim,  large open world, shit tons of people and with no lag.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by Lobotomist

I dont care whatever you have to say about the game. Endgame, grind, themepark...

Yes but for how long? Great combat alone doensn't keep you playing a game for years.

There's alot more to gameplay than just combat, it's all the systems in place that make up gameplay, not just the pew pew related ones.  (or at least that's my understanding of it).

Good combat is a necessary building block to make a lasting MMO but everything outside of fighting counts just as much and apparently this game doesn't offer much in that department. Excpet maybe territory wars, that looks interesting (but it's only an endgame feature so meh).

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Benjola

Ever since I played Morrowind I've been a huge fan of no tab targeting and weapon swings being AEs etc so Tera combat feels great but the PvE still bores me and it's because of mobs dificulty.

My highest char is level 12 atm and I still have no clue what happens on death because none of my chars died yet.

Actually I don't think the health bar ever went under 80%, and that's bad, I've never seen such easy PVE and I've played most MMOs worth playing since Everquest.

The nice combat is going to waste because the lack of challenge.

I shouldn't wait until level 20 to solo BAMs (which are group mobs/elites ) just so I can challenge myself a bit.

If theres open world ganking on PVP servers, it might keep me on my toes I guess but I don't know if that's the case and I can't believe that I just wished there are gankers all over the place just to spice things up heh.

Yes it is easy Benjola and it will be easy untill around lv38-40 (minus a few world boss, bams, instances).  The reason is the game has a higher learning curve than a typical tab targeting game.  In a tab targeting games all you need to do is understand your skills and skill rotation.  Tera places more importance on not only skills but movement, when to dodge and block.  Understanding the mobs tells and how to avoid or mitigate them or just interrupt the attack all together.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

Originally posted by Charas

Yes but for how long? Great combat alone doensn't keep you playing a game for years.

There's alot more to gameplay than just combat, it's all the systems in place that make up gameplay, not just the pew pew related ones.  (or at least that's my understanding of it).

Good combat is a necessary building block to make a lasting MMO but everything outside of fighting counts just as much and apparently this game doesn't offer much in that department. Excpet maybe territory wars, that looks interesting (but it's only an endgame feature so meh).

Good gameplay, wont keep you playing for years. But its going to make time you do play, much less boring ;)

Anyway. I agree with you.

They have gameplay right. Lets see about the rest of the game.

I can only sadly remember Tabula Rasa, and its awesome gameplay - and total lack of anything else :(

That was a bummer

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75

I play an archer and I love the combat. My friend rolled a lancer we were both (especially him) ecstatic how he could physically get in front of me and block attacks that were aimed at me while I fire away. Nice to see a MMO where positioning matters other than flanking and 'dont stand in the fire' The PvE quests seem 'light' but they are still MUCH better than other eastern based developed MMO's.

I knew soon as I logged in that I loved the combat and will like it even more sd I level, and there will be a lot of people who just give up quick because the PvE combat is 'easy.' The devs are trying to put in a very shallow curve because at the end of the game dodging and moving around the battlefield will be 'par for the course' to even stay alive, nevermind actually doing your role's job well at the same time. if they made the first levels like the last ones, all you would see is corpses in the newbie areas with people complaining the mobs move too fast and hit too hard.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

I enjoyed the combat and disliked everything else. A MMO needs a lot more than just one feature to keep people playing.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by Alot

If you didnt like combat ( and i mean combat, not quests or graphic or sound ) than you will not like TERA either.

Go back to target select, shortcut press , yawn fest

I didn't like anything about that game, I did not see any positives. And despite that I like the combat in TERA. You are wrong Lobo.

• TridianTridian Member UncommonPosts: 273

I have not followed the game too closesly, but I hear good things about it. Even on these forums. I may have to check it out. I have been looking for something to renew my interest in the MMO world. Would be great if this game gave me a sliver of hope. 

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

Originally posted by stayontarget

Finally someone agrees with me =)   Yes the combat is a step in the right direction,  and finally a company has found a way to bring outstanding graphics, collision detection, free aim,  large open world, shit tons of people and with no lag.

This is the point ! 

Difficulty, Quests, Dungeons ect. can still be upgraded. But the grafic engine and combat not so easy. Look at SWTOR, game was good, but it pisses me of to have low fps as soon as I see another player...

Seems like TERA have a solid basement for a great mmo.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Shivam

A MMO needs a lot more than just one feature to keep people playing.

very true which is why Rift only did mildly well just to much of the same.. and of course you got TOR.. dunno why these games never learn.. Either way I'm sure this game will have its niche crowd that love more asian influenced games.. if you like AION, Lineage 2, perfect world, ect.. you should enjoy this game a lot.. character models in this game are probably the best I have ever seen in a MMO just amazing..

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Mari2k

This is the point ! 

Difficulty, Quests, Dungeons ect. can still be upgraded. But the grafic engine and combat not so easy. Look at SWTOR, game was good, but it pisses me of to have low fps as soon as I see another player...

Even graphic engine can be upgraded. look at LOTRO, EQ2 and EVE for example. SWTOR is based on hero engine which can be upgraded to dx 11.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092

Originally posted by NBlitz

Run & doge combat (priest not the #1 DD class...)

Running but not dodging combat (why didn't the freaking pet get the aggro as it should)

Yeah I like TERA a lot, pre-ordered it and probably will play it for the coming years as well ;)

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Mari2k

This is the point ! 

at least TERA went with the unreal 3 engine which runs very well with many people on screen.. I dunno why developers would ever make a MMO with an engine not designed for this such as hero engine... either way yes tera made good choice with the engine. Also just wanted to mention FINALLY no blocky shadows!!! after Skyrim and TOR I was getting sick of horrible aliased shadows

• TalRashaTalRasha Member UncommonPosts: 827

The engine runs better than I had expected. Even on my old core2duo with 4870 radeon it manages quite well.

Gameplay does get more exciting at around level 20. I'd advise anyone to at least continue playing till somewhere in the level 20s before making a choice to get the game or not.

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

True the combat is pretty good, but large open world? I was hitting invisible walls everywere, only one starting area, no mobs/gathering mats/anythign at all it felt so dead all around the city was it Velika* or something.

To me the game feels very very small nothing close to the "large open world" people hit the clsed beta cap in few hours level 22, in 2-3 days max people will be 58 which is cap at release. Starting an alt to go over same starting area will turn off most people so replayability on this game is impossible no one would like that.

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75

I'm interested in knowing what people think is 'missing' from TERA when they say combat isn't enough? Seems to have all the basics covered.

Then again I care very little about things like crafting and PvP so maybe I'm just not seeing it. I do know any kind of true form of 'raiding' isn't in right now but they did confirm they have raid type content on the way.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by TalRasha

The engine runs better than I had expected. Even on my old core2duo with 4870 radeon it manages quite well.

Gameplay does get more exciting at around level 20. I'd advise anyone to at least continue playing till somewhere in the level 20s before making a choice to get the game or not.

PLEASE THIS.

Once you hit the first dungeon and the BAMs aswell as start getting a groove for combo-chaining and using your glyphs, combat flows excellent, becomes faster and difficulty increases a lot with all the BAMs and dungeon bosses.