Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A real fantasy world!

KemengulKemengul Member Posts: 5

I just love the character selection in Tera. It has a very classy, mature feel to it. The art work in the game is so rich, never a dull moment just looking at the amazing world around you. Not to knock on Rift, EQ, or L2 (my most played MMO's) but this game brings me back to the old days when a video game took you to another place. 

Comments

• marinridermarinrider Member UncommonPosts: 1,556

What you just said does not give me any idication that it is a "real fantasy world" it only tells me that its visuals are Aion 2.0.  What about the WORLD itself? Does it feel like a world or does it feel like a hallway?

• KemengulKemengul Member Posts: 5

The world I have explored is quite expansive and atmospheric. True, the game dows have a bread crum quest arc. But I definitly  feel the world is rungs above anything i'v played before.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Originally posted by Kemengul

The world I have explored is quite expansive and atmospheric. True, the game dows have a bread crum quest arc. But I definitly  feel the world is rungs above anything i'v played before.

Exactly, once I got to Velika, it truely felt huge, open and massive.

I went off exploring over the mountains to the desert, it's just so open and huge. Really has a nice atmosphere.

• Ir1shguyIr1shguy Member UncommonPosts: 84

Its kinda sad how many folks are so shallow to say its this game 2.0 or that game 2.0. why dont you just stop and read the quests and realise its a different story? Who frikkin cares if it has the same shade of green as wow or the same shade of blue as Aion that dont mean they are remotely the same world or story.

If what your after is the end game then stick with what your playing and you wont need to bother other people playing other games.

It is a nice game, nice story, nice mechanics. While at the moment it seems a bit dead just grinding quests. I was hoping for a bit more with dynamic events but i am only lvl 10 atm. ITs fun.

• tussauctussauc Member UncommonPosts: 147

The world felt boring to me, just boring. Some people may like it, but I found it uninteresting.

Originally posted by kaco

Its kinda sad how many folks are so shallow to say its this game 2.0 or that game 2.0. why dont you just stop and read the quests and realise its a different story? Who frikkin cares if it has the same shade of green as wow or the same shade of blue as Aion that dont mean they are remotely the same world or story.

If what your after is the end game then stick with what your playing and you wont need to bother other people playing other games.

It is a nice game, nice story, nice mechanics. While at the moment it seems a bit dead just grinding quests. I was hoping for a bit more with dynamic events but i am only lvl 10 atm. ITs fun.

If your talking about me, then dont start raging. I specifically said the "visuals are Aion 2.0" that is all. I made no other implication that this game copied Aion or is similar to Aion.  So calm down.

And thank you op, thats exactly what I was wondering.  I'm happy to hear that the world is open and feels like a world.  It seems like we have gone through a few launches lately that have been the exact opposite.

Hopefully Tera's light following in Asia means its more in line with what the West likes and doesnt just suck after 50 hours.  Thanks for your post OP.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Nice! I've got ways to go on my download, so I won't get to play until tomorrow.

• XirikXirik Member UncommonPosts: 440

Originally posted by marinrider

If your talking about me, then dont start raging. I specifically said the "visuals are Aion 2.0" that is all. I made no other implication that this game copied Aion or is similar to Aion.  So calm down.

And thank you op, thats exactly what I was wondering.  I'm happy to hear that the world is open and feels like a world.  It seems like we have gone through a few launches lately that have been the exact opposite.

Hopefully Tera's light following in Asia means its more in line with what the West likes and doesnt just suck after 50 hours.  Thanks for your post OP.

Tera is the 9th most played PC game in Korea right now. its right behind WoW which is 8th.  It is also one of the few mmo's in asia that requires a sub which asians are wary of. Just like lots of people in the West are wary of FTP mmo's

"You have some serious mental issues you may need to seek some help for. There are others who post things, but do not post them in the way you do. Out of every person who posts crazy shit in this forum, you have some of the craziest and scariest" -FarReach

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071

Aren't all video games "real fantasy worlds"?

Originally posted by Xirik

Tera is the 9th most played PC game in Korea right now. its right behind WoW which is 8th.  It is also one of the few mmo's in asia that requires a sub which asians are wary of. Just like lots of people in the West are wary of FTP mmo's

Oh hm. The subscription thing makes sense.  Guess I just heard wrong.  Regardless, this game is a "wait and see" for me.

You annoy me, you completely hate the game after probably not even leaving the tutorial island. You have no right to comment until you actually play a game. 

Originally posted by iicogigen

The world felt boring to me, just boring. Some people may like it, but I found it uninteresting.

You annoy me, you completely hate the game after not leaving the starting zone, the amount of zones in TERA that look absolutely amazing is not even fathomable and you judge if off your 5 hours in BETA. Pisses me the hell off.

• MacstezyMacstezy Member Posts: 9

Yeah the game world seemed very linear and just like the same old to me.  And the games ai tottaly boggs down and after 10 mins of playing the whole moving and aiming has you begging for some tab targeting...

Originally posted by Macstezy

Yeah the game world seemed very linear and just like the same old to me.  And the games ai tottaly boggs down and after 10 mins of playing the whole moving and aiming has you begging for some tab targeting...

Do you do this on purpose to anger me... :(

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

What you just said does not give me any idication that it is a "real fantasy world" it only tells me that its visuals are Aion 2.0.  What about the WORLD itself? Does it feel like a world or does it feel like a hallway?

Not at all. If anything, its at least twice more open than SWTOR for example

Completely open

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Completely open

Tera is as real fantasy world as Aion was. However, it isn't twice as open as SWTOR..even though it is more open than your standard themepark MMO.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• BenthonBenthon Member Posts: 2,069

Originally posted by Shivam

Completely open

Tera is as real fantasy world as Aion was. However, it isn't twice as open as SWTOR..even though it is more open than your standard themepark MMO.

SWTOR is as guided as it gets. TERA is much more open than your normal themepark MMO for sure.

He who keeps his cool best wins.

Completely open

Eh, depends where you go, some places are just a giant open field that is just ridiculously huge. Plus any mountain or whatever you can find a way to climb onto it or over it.

The horse in TERA is better than the Skyrim horse for god sake.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Macstezy

Did you get off the starting area?

DID YOU GET OFF THE STARTING AREA?

We need to start asking this, seriously. How can anyone say this after going against the BAM in the Isle of Dawn, part of their main quest line?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Rather hard to say yet, the game have just been up for a day.

I can say a little about the starting area though (I played 10 levels). It is pretty basic and about the same quality story wise as the staring isle in EQ2.

It is really beutifully designed with ruins, flowers and butterflies but the story is not amazing or anything. Quests are usually short and easy, I was close to dying once but beside that I have not gotten below 50% so it is rather easy in the beginning at least.

The negative thing I can say about the first 10 levels is that I feel that the quests could be a bit larger, they have been short and simple so far.

But I have played maybe 8 hours and only seen the starting zone so I am not sure if that is just too learn the ropes or not.

The combat is not that complicated but it still feels rather fresh to me unlike Rift.

But the "armors" in the game is really silly, who ever heard of a chainmail that doesn´t even cover the panties? The weapons are manga oversized in a way Final fantasy fans should like.

But it have actually been pretty fun so far. :)

As I said, the armors don´t look like they protect anything...

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

Well, the game didn't really scream originality to me, so far it feels like a mix of AION, AoC and Vanguard.

- Questing and souroundings are very AIONish, like playing AION 2.0, nobody can deny this.

- Melee combat has similar AoC mechanics (collision detection,all swings are AEs, combos etc)

I didn't try range classes and priests but looking at the game mechanics I'm thinking healer gameplay will feel most original because of no tab targeting.

- The open world and especially the starter island gave me some Vanguard vibes, it even has the exact same name as Vanguard's starter island 'Isle of Dawn' together with flying pegasus etc.

So for me, in general, combat is fun, rest is somewhat  boring so far.

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865

Game has not really impressed me so far. UI is way too complex for most people, the quest tracker is really bad, (seems they ripped it straight out of Aion as well) and the quests are very bland. It looks "okay" for the most part, but I do like the character models. The combat is nice,but the idea that you are going to have tons of abilities to bind in an action based MMO freaks me out a bit. The quest structure is also poorly laid out. With all that said, combat is a nice change of pace but it sorta reminds me of Age of Conan where the combat is the only real draw of the game. I don't really think it is anything too exciting though. Not much attention seems to be paid to the bigger picture. I will see what happens if I can stomach leveling past 10 this weekend.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Originally posted by Loke666

<>

<>

As I said, the armors don´t look like they protect anything...

Sorry Loke, but I will always disagree with this way of thinking. My high fantasy games have always had bikini clad goddesses ever since I can remember and I LOVE it this way. The minute I start thinking the way you do is the minute I quit high fantasy games for good. 

"Hmm, she doesn't seem protected enough against arrows to the knee."

I seriously don't get this movement about wanting to have high fantasy worlds adhere to real world rules.

High fantasy is defined as fantasy fiction set in an alternative, entirely fictional ("secondary") world, rather than the real, or "primary" world. The secondary world is usually internally consistent but its rules differ in some way(s) from those of the primary world. By contrast, low fantasy is characterized by being set in the primary, or "real" world, or a rational and familiar fictional world, with the inclusion of magical elements.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_fantasy

What you and others are wanting are low fantasy settings.

• GN-003GN-003 Member Posts: 78

Originally posted by Celcius

Game has not really impressed me so far. UI is way too complex for most people, the quest tracker is really bad, (seems they ripped it straight out of Aion as well) and the quests are very bland. It looks "okay" for the most part, but I do like the character models. The combat is nice,but the idea that you are going to have tons of abilities to bind in an action based MMO freaks me out a bit. The quest structure is also poorly laid out. With all that said, combat is a nice change of pace but it sorta reminds me of Age of Conan where the combat is the only real draw of the game. I don't really think it is anything too exciting though. Not much attention seems to be paid to the bigger picture. I will see what happens if I can stomach leveling past 10 this weekend.

Wait, what? How is the UI too complex? Perhaps it's a bit off-putting if you have the brain capacity of a goldfish.

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Completely open

Eh, depends where you go, some places are just a giant open field that is just ridiculously huge. Plus any mountain or whatever you can find a way to climb onto it or over it.

The horse in TERA is better than the Skyrim horse for god sake.

My grandma is faster than Skyrim's horse tbh

Tera is high fantasy, so "real" fantasy worlds are to be expected lol

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence