Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How well you believe Archeage will do in the west?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

I was kind of interesting in AA at first, but now I am more skeptical about it.

Why is it that they cant find a NA Publisher, if its as good as people are hyping it up to be?

something seem fishy.

But in your opinion, how well do you believe Archeage will be in the west?

Edit: this was meant to be in the AA forum. my mistake,.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

I'd love for AA to do well..

The videos of it make it seem like there is just so much that you can do in game.There's no telling how well the game will do,in general and in the west.

The MMO genre is full of let down,so one cant help but be skeptical at every upcoming title

• cagarcagar Member Posts: 98
    It will do great at release, within the first week the bitching will begin on this was left out or that this was promised at release and is not there.
    One month in doomsayers will see the end of free month canceled subs, say its boring failed.powerlevelers will put in thier 60hrs a week in, max lvl inside a month, say the highlvl zones are dead, and no endgame. The hardcore pvp people will also say how bad pvp is, combat sux, imbalanced, etc. the forum trolls will run rampant, all others will play. 3 months I predict 400k subscribers remaining steady. Sandbox lovers will say its to much on rails handholding going on while theme park lovers will say its to grindy.
    So in the end I say it will be on average. I know I plan on playing.

70 monk eq1
    80 bruiser eq2
    43 druid wow
    Currently playing : rift

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Originally posted by cagar

It will do great at release, within the first week the bitching will begin on this was left out or that this was promised at release and is not there. One month in doomsayers will see the end of free month canceled subs, say its boring failed.powerlevelers will put in thier 60hrs a week in, max lvl inside a month, say the highlvl zones are dead, and no endgame. The hardcore pvp people will also say how bad pvp is, combat sux, imbalanced, etc. the forum trolls will run rampant, all others will play. 3 months I predict 400k subscribers remaining steady. Sandbox lovers will say its to much on rails handholding going on while theme park lovers will say its to grindy. So in the end I say it will be on average. I know I plan on playing.

whats the rails in AA?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Hard to say yet. Most Korean MMOs do badly in the West but it all depends on how good the game really is.

That it is hard to find a Western publisher isn´t so strange, there is still a rather bad economical crise and the game have so far gotten very little publicity besides on this site.

If the Korean launch and first few weeks do good there will probably appear a publisher quickly, if not then I am not so sure we ever see the game with an English client.

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013

There are ppl waiting wow's expansion to have a last wow taste or just keep burning,and there are all those eq2/L2 fans +wow disappointed fellas that if Archeage delivers in decent standards will play it.

• praytockpraytock Member Posts: 23

Originally posted by Loke666

Hard to say yet. Most Korean MMOs do badly in the West but it all depends on how good the game really is.

That it is hard to find a Western publisher isn´t so strange, there is still a rather bad economical crise and the game have so far gotten very little publicity besides on this site.

If the Korean launch and first few weeks do good there will probably appear a publisher quickly, if not then I am not so sure we ever see the game with an English client.

Hi Loke,

Although I do agree that times are rough...crackheads always somehow  find money for their addictions.....I am not sure how hard it would be to find a publisher and implement this kind of operation even IF china doesnt lend us anymore money after obama raises the debt ceiling yet again....I myself own and operate  a datacenter and a NOC that could handle a portion of a US based  launch....although  I dont konw the ins and outs of full publishment ..... If I could.... I would compete with other publishers in this race.

However ....I must respectfully disagree with your statement about Archeage not getting much >>>PUBLICITY besides this site here<<<  as seen on that link there.  You will also notice that AA has also already been published on US based printed Magazine.

In Fact....the MOST knowlageable site and well informed US based beta testers currently are located on    http://archeagesource.com/ with so much information it would probably take you an hour to read all the details and watch all the vids that are posted just from CBT4 alone.

Keep in mind much is still being devleoped and Jake Song is vehemently polishing a game that running on cryengine 3 currently already outshines most games in development out there now.

As for a Koren AA Launch possibly failing....that might be possible....but  Jake hasnt dissappointed yet...and if anyone wants to argue his stance against NCSost your wasting your time when he has cleary stated his opposition to their tactics and service, at the time when he opted for a much better customer oriented approach in the past.

I think Jake will do us all proud as his track record is rather shiny compared to many others. =)

• PalladinPalladin Member UncommonPosts: 430

Prissy little anime toons that look like !#$%%$# i could not care less how it does

AMD Phenum II x4 3.6Ghz 975 black edition
    8 gig Ram
    Nvidia GeForce GTX 760

• BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

I think it will do well in the west if it's marketed to the right audience. As for 'Korean MMOs don't do well in the west' I'd say the developers are taking that into account. Jake Song has said in a few interviews that they are building ArchAge with the western market in mind. If you look at the videos and screenshots I think they are on the right track. The buildings look more 'Medieval Europe' in design than most Korean MMOs and the character models are more western in appearance as well and not so much 'anime' style. The environments are very realistic and less 'High Fantasy' as most Korean MMOs are like too.

The only real stumbling block is the FFA PvP system but if marketed right it may not be that much of an issue. They are still in the Korean Beta phase as well so they probably won't be getting a NA/EU publisher soon as they have to finish the Korean version and then spend at least a few months to a year translating thousands of lines of dialog into English(Hopefully it will be English and not Engrish... LOL).

I fully expect a NA/EU developer to pick this one up as soon as they start to seriously look for one. This game will release in the west as they are designing it specifically for that purpose. I for one will definitely be trying this one out as soon as I get the chance.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• EnerzealEnerzeal Member Posts: 326

You can bet that Archeage has a tidal wave of publishers banging on their door to publish in the west but the simple fact is that Jake Song is waiting for it to publish in korea and china before taking it to the west as it is a significant amount of work to set up.

I would bet my money on it being a winner over here judging by the gapng hole currently in the market. Themeparkers want something more and Sandboxers want one tripple A sandbox to come along that isn't broken beyond belief. 

In the grand scheme of things even if it doesn't work lets hope it pushes a few more developers to start working on more sandbox features and less dead end game in the themepark setting.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I think it will do ok. I think that sandboxers are alot more difficult to please then themeparkers, and a smaller community as well. I wouldn't doubt if it did better then any sandbox to date, but not numbers great enough to compare to the themebox games coming out.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

I hope the game does well. There are a lot of US game company decision makers who need to be shown up for what they are.

• BilboDogginsBilboDoggins Member Posts: 198

This game has a class which plays a guitar, the prototypical anime look, and the healing tree is called "Love"

This game is DOA, dead on arrival in the West.

• ShankenstienShankenstien Member Posts: 13

I'd like to think that AA could be a success but I truly don't think western audiences will buy into it purely as it's so Asian in style and feel, at least to me it is. Anime can be breathtaking, groundbreaking and gobsmackingly brilliant, but it doesn't do as well in western markets as say an Incredible Hulk cartoon movie or some other similar media. Basically it just won't fit culturally as westerners are not that open to new things, we like to think we are but we really aren't. Just look at food, we take other cultures foods and westernise it, clothes we westernise them, books, stories, art and on and on. Hope I'm wrong though and I very likely could be as I'm no expert.

WoW, LoTRO, AoC, DCU, EvE, RoM, Champions, Bloodline Champions, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Fallen Earth, SWTOR, EQ2, Guild Wars

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

Originally posted by MMOExposed

Why is it that they cant find a NA Publisher, if its as good as people are hyping it up to be?

something seem fishy.

I doubt AA will have a hard time finding a publisher. They still have to complete the game for the asian market. Then after that, they will need to do a ton of "westernization". A NA publisher is probably the last thing on their mind.

I think AA will do well in NA. There is an increasing demand for a game like this. It probably won't compete with WoW or SWTOR, but it will probably have a good size community and a respectable title...much like Eve Online.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

All depends on if it's an actively fun sandbox where you're constantly doing different things (Haven & Hearth) or a typical sandbox (EVE) filled with timesinky non-gameplay but otherwise empty.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,868

Asian themed games have never done well in the west really. FF11 may be the only exception to this rule, but honestly I think most of the people who played that game were in the east anyways. This is why I suspect it will not do well here and the same goes for Tera. 

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Haven't seen any good vids on it yet - haven't seen any combat vids at all. And I know its not fair to judge an unfinished game but... I am not impressed.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

AA will do well in the West if it offers PvE servers.

Offering only PvP will see it killed by the usual PvP culture asshatery.

• MarlonBMarlonB Member UncommonPosts: 526

I hope it will do well ... it's my last hope for a fun game.

yes, that desperate :)

• SagasaintSagasaint Member UncommonPosts: 466

so far all claims from asian games/developers to have their game "WESTERNIZED" have been empty promises, in reality they did next to nothing for the game, it had the beyond obvious asian look and feel and classic eastern mechanics, and the game failed to capture western players past the initial box sale out of curiosity.

IMO it will boil down to just that. how non-asian-ish the game is, in other words, how "westernized" the game actually is, instead of how the CEOs claim it to be.

while its hard to predict anything without having put my hands on the game, I'll go with the safe bet (safe because past history backs me here 100%) that the game will be a purely asian game with all that represents, barely anything done to appease the western audience, and will fall flat on its face.

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

I can only hope that it enjoys a very, very modest success. It seems any game that gets hyped up and popular ends up being the stomping grounds of the worst of MMO players.

• skamperskamper Member UncommonPosts: 252

Originally posted by Celcius

Asian themed games have never done well in the west really. FF11 may be the only exception to this rule, but honestly I think most of the people who played that game were in the east anyways. This is why I suspect it will not do well here and the same goes for Tera. 

Whether you want to believe it or not, MapleStory is huge in the "west". The game has grown tremendously over the past 7 years.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

Originally posted by MMOExposed

something seem fishy.

You make way too many threads Exposed, LOL.

I do not believe this game will do well at all.  It is too Asian for the West, and its pretty obvious that Asian games do not fare well over here.  I would play AA only if it was stripped down, re-coded, added new western Artwork and given complete and total westernization.  As it stands now I will never play an Asian game no matter how or what it is.  AA could be the greatest sandbox (and I am a fan) but i'll never know because I refuse to play an Asian game.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• KrayfishKrayfish Member UncommonPosts: 147

I have played a bit of archeage luckily from a uni freind who is from south korea, granted i only played for an hour or so but I will say from that short play time I got a pretty good feel for the game.

I honestly am doubtful that the asian styling of the game will go down well here, I certainly kept asking myself hmmm will this work, and honestly I don' t really think it will. It might look like a small issue on the surface but really this is a game people will look at playing for the foreseeable future and something like this will end up getting to people, I mean it started getting to me after my short play time. Granted this is just me people may be more willing to accept the stlying than I was.

The game itself in terms of gameplay is pretty fun, nothing extradoniary but it is fun nonetheless, the spell effects were really nice to look at and combat was pretty responsive, aside from the slightly annoying gcd.

I won't really say much more as I only played for a short amount of time. Do I think archeage will be the second coming of jesus? No. Do I think it will do well here? Yes but I don't imagine it to be the roaring success people think it will be, mostly down to the style of the game and the linearity of the early levels and questing.

• kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

To be honest i hope the game does ok. Ok in the sence that i would rather have 100,000 like minded gamers playing on a few servers then 500,000 rpg co-op wannabe douch bags running around bitching about this and that.

I dont want gamers in AA that think Rift and WoW (what wow has become) are the benchmark for what an MMO should be. Im already not happy that they added the hand holding quest marker to the game. Those little arrows at the base of your toon that point the way to quest location.

So yeah. I hope it does good enough to be considered a succeses But doesent draw enough idiots to it that add there 2 sence and changes the game into something theamparkish.