Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you like doing dungeons in MMO's?

El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

i dont particularly like doing them.  the only reason i would do a dungeon was either for a quest, or to update a piece or two of gear.  i never find myself saying "oh i want to kill that boss".

I've got the straight edge.

Comments

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

I love exploring caverns, temples, and ruins...NOT "running dungeons".

This is the difference between an open world, and instances.

• JorlJorl Member UncommonPosts: 257

I don't mind doing dungeons, but I like them better if i'm with people I know.

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190

I love dungeons, but I like the old school dungeon crawl dungeons. The ones that took hours or longer to explore every nook and cranny. To find secret doors took checking every wall or object. Today, it is just go in an instance, clear trash go to each boss, kill, then leave. I want the dungeons like in EQ1, but alter the necessity to sit in once place. Bring back the benefits of tenacity. 

• WolfenprideWolfenpride Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,988

I love well done/old school dungeons, they're more open to exploring and tend to have fun traps/secrets.

I absolutely hate modern MMO dungeons in which you proceed down a fairly linear tunnel knocking off bosses for gear.

I agree with the above poster, EQ1 has some of the best dungeons even to today, many are large enough to actually warrant multiple excursions to check out other areas in them.

• DrunkWolfDrunkWolf Member RarePosts: 1,701

i use to love exploring the old school dungeons, in Asherons Call they were dangerous places. the first time you went into a dungeon you were going to get lost simple as that, they were dark and there was alot of different paths to take. they were like a maze plus the creatures respawned. dungeons even had areas were you and your group would have to do timed jumps and if one guy fell you better all jump down to help him or he is a goner.

todays dungeons, look online and see what boss drops the item you want, go into dungeon, follow linear path because its the only way you can go, if your a idiot and get lost on linear path click map and it shows you were you are and your party. kill trash mobs that are there only to get in your way and are not a challenge at all. kill boss loot item you already knew you would get. leave dungeon repeat with next.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555

Currently? no way. Dungeons have gone from an adventure to a chore. I used to love having to carefully map my way through a  dungeon, and the panic you felt fighting near open pools of lava. now it's just another stop on the train.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Old school dungeons are the best. No true beginning or end of the dungeon. No "Endboss".  "Named" scattered.

Multiple ways you can go, hidden passages. Not really a clear line between the whole thing group or soloable.

Like EQ1. Guk

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

If instanced means that the dungeon gets replayability (different mission, different mobs and goals) then I can appreciate it. Maybe even more then contested dungeons. As long as there is no loading screen (like in Fallen Earth).

In a lot of games I dont like them. Especially the ones that ask for specific group composition. Those feel like a chore to me. Whether its instanced or not, doesnt then matter to me.

Contested dungeons can feel annoying to me for a different reason. I really dont like the respawn mechanics in a lot of MMO's. I like to approach fights in a tactical way. You can't do that if some group of mobs respawn right in your face because a different group just passed that spot without you knowing. On the other hand I do like ambushes, but that is usually a lot different and an obvious part of the challenge.

Contested dungeons are usually also the most boring ones imo. In most games it is just an indoor area with stronger mobs without interesting puzzles or missions.

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

When a dungeon is nothing but a hallway with a boss at the end... Do not want.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

WoW-type dungeons have evolved from being a zone to being a special kind of self-contained quest. 

I don't see this as good or bad, because there are good reasons for having nice well-packaged nuggets that you can budget your time for.

However, I do feel these games could benefit from having an entire zone dedicated to being a gigantic dungeon crawl that people can lose themselves in.

(and of course, I should throw in my standard plea for more dynamic/random content)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i only like to do them (dungeons) if they are not requirements to get better gears. Therefore becoming gear demanding to be ran through...

i love all dungeons i have seen in WoW (havent seen all)... they are huge and well designed, but people only runs with you mostly when you have epic gears and you are a World War tactician. I think they should be challenging but not that way, i dont find the challenge when i have to focus on the other players complaining about the job that is being done.... (caused in part to the holy trinity).

i like dungeons where i can run with a group of friends, have  fun and a great challenge no matter how well or bad geared we are.

Those are 2 things i dislike, gear requirement and people thinking we are in a real life world war demanding immortal tactics.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Dungeons and small-scale teamplay are the best part of MMORPGs.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

Instanced to the extent that they are party exclusive no. I dont really like instances but I dont mind them so long as they aren't party exclusive.

Fighting for claim and maybe having the chance of failing because another group decides to attack you (on PVP servers).  Brings a more intense experience to PvE and PVP both.

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• was tryin to think of some actual crawling in some of the current mmos and it's kinda grim. i guess i would say DDO to a degree, but i'm having a hard time coming up with a list of games that don't have dungeuns that aren't just a hallway with curves in it. anyone have any that they can think of? non oldschool.

i would think that neverwinter will allow for some strait up crawling with some of the player created maps.

• SuraknarSuraknar Member UncommonPosts: 852

Originally posted by brody71

i dont particularly like doing them.  the only reason i would do a dungeon was either for a quest, or to update a piece or two of gear.  i never find myself saying "oh i want to kill that boss".

Well I enjoy initial exploration and discovery I would do a "Dungeon" once maybe twice as part of initiating someone else in to it, but asking me to go in to dungeons every night several times during agame session as a certain *W... ahem* MMO is expecting its players to be doing...no way...it is mind numbing...to put it lightly.

In UO I had explored all of them, went back to them a coupel of time for fun with others and as part of Role Play community events or plots, but that is it.

Repetitious Gameplay is nor desired nor enjoyed.

- Duke Suraknar -
    Order of the Silver Star, OSS

ESKA, Playing MMORPG's since Ultima Online 1997 - Order of the Silver Serpent, Atlantic Shard
  • BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

Originally posted by nilden

When a dungeon is nothing but a hallway with a boss at the end... Do not want.

this post sums up beutifully where WOW went wrong. a journey is much more interesting  than a room. repeating a dungeon is much more interesting than repeating a room.  Thats if you actually enjoy playing your char with other people.  People actually done the hold for 1 thing, the loot.  And what does 'loot' actually mean in this context? shallow nothingness.

re this comment:

"Well I enjoy initial exploration and discovery I would do a "Dungeon" once maybe twice as part of initiating someone else in to it, but asking me to go in to dungeons every night several times during agame session as a certain *W... ahem* MMO is expecting its players to be doing...no way...it is mind numbing...to put it lightly. ""

this is the problem, people used to do it because they enjoyed the challenge that doing instances with different people presented.  It was the people you were with that made it interesting, repeated graphics and sound are just shallow repeated graphics and sound.

If you repeat an instance because you feel you need to or for loot, then you are only going to be dissapointed.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

I'm not a fan of them,, i'd rather they took place more in the open world clusters of buildings. The odd one is fine but so many games have a tendency to make half their quests in labyrinths underground.

Send me to sack a town, liberate a harbor but stop sending me to the sewers.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

I enjoy them for fun every once in awhile but not a fan at all of the way they are a requirement to do anything at end game. 

• EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

it's the reason I play MMOs in the first place

I love dungeons and raids

Originally posted by Gabby-air

I enjoy them for fun every once in awhile but not a fan at all of the way they are a requirement to do anything at end game. 

ye thats the problem with themeparks, you feel you have to do them, they are focused on [do->get reward] rather than a vehicle for playing with other people against a common challenge.  Themepark raiding = peer pressure/must keep up with gear raiding tiered gear cycle/ play no matter what or fall behind.  Fun or social aspects do not come into it anymore in these types of game, ugly.

1 casual raiders struggle against elite encounters but are now spoon fed final bosses in the form of nerfs that are unsatisfying for them and ruin the experience for others.

2 Mid level raiders are are under pressure to keep up with the joneses in terms of gear and performance.

3 Elite guilds aere under immense peer pressure to get first on server kills.

4. professional guilds clear content in a number of weeks and have no time for fun.

Everything is rotating around loot and peer evaluation rather than fun.  Themepark end-game is an utter mess.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

• CuathonCuathon Member Posts: 2,211

Originally posted by Axehilt

Play Diablo then as thats all you do in the online part.

Originally posted by Cuathon

Not mutually exclusive.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Same for me.

In UO, Deceit was my favorite place for both PvP and PvE. In Lineage 2, I had a great time in the catacombs when we'd go as a group of 3 or 4 people. In AC, almost every dungeon was fun to do as a small pack of 4-6 people.

And,for me, the more chaotic the dungeon environment, the better.  image

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I miss open world dungeons, I am tired of instances.

Give me pre-LDON type EQ, old UO, and even some Vanguard...

The instanced dungeon rat race is old, doing one instance dungeon in EQ like 50 time to try to get someone some stupid boots, and my wife did it almost 100 for the same guy....It burned me out of the instances (never liked them too much anyway), and it made me hate them.

Call me crazy, but I miss getting a good group together, dealing with wipes/trains, seeing how much room you can clear and named you can get to at once and get some xp/drops and just hang out bsing with friends in a open dungeon...Much more fun for me, than the dungeon run is the reward, for you to rinse and repeat....Call it splitting hairs or whatever, but I still hate running instance dungeons to this day from the burnout of it.

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Originally posted by Cuathon

I definitely will, although D2 didn't have anywhere near as strong teamplay as WOW did due to the lack of holy trinity gameplay.  So while many MMORPGers want to get away from the trinity, D3's potential lack of a trinity is a concern for me (I haven't followed the game close enough to know how much of a trinity it has.)

I mean you can accomplish strong teamplay without trinity gameplay, but few games manage it because it's a lot harder to do it well (for many games "teamplay" is "you need to zerg this challenge to beat it" which is barely teamplay at all.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver