Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DOTA2: RTSGuru.com | Who Owns DotA?

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Earlier today, we reported on the lawsuit filed by Blizzard against a trademark filing by Valve over the DOTA name. In a new piece at RTSGuru.com, Cassandra Khaw gives some of the background on the issue and her thoughts about what's in store for the two gaming titans. Check it out at RTSGuru.com.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

League of Ledgends!

<.<

• ThegoodlolThegoodlol Member CommonPosts: 64

Originally posted by orbitxo

League of Ledgends!

<.<

Exactly, why buy Dota when you can play LoL for free?

• SylviodroodSylviodrood Member Posts: 7

Originally posted by Thegoodlol

League of Ledgends!

<.<

despite the cornucopia of reasons to not play league of legends. dota is flat out a superior game and experience. and does blizzard really need more reasons for me to not give them money?

• SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Value will not win this lawsuit, the creators hit yes to thier terms of use of the map editor then associating DOTA with WC3.

It is not right but its the truth law says Blizzard is in the right because the game was instantly associated by law with WC3 when the creators hit yes too the terms of use.

• Sourd420Sourd420 Member Posts: 63

not one mention of Icefrog Oo

• uohaloranuohaloran Member Posts: 811

League of Ledgends!

<.<

Why buy Dota when it isn't for sale?

• 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    So even if Blizzard wins the lawsuit, im assuming that will only mean a name change right? Its not like Blizzard can copyright the whole MOBA genre
  • SerenesSerenes Member UncommonPosts: 351

Originally posted by 77lolmac77

So even if Blizzard wins the lawsuit, im assuming that will only mean a name change right? Its not like Blizzard can copyright the whole MOBA genre

Yes it will just force Value to name the game something else that can not be associated with Blizzard/WC3.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

They can only copyright the name of course.

I see so many angry people at Blizzard. You think Blizzard has no right to trademark the name? Then please elaborate why VALVE should have the right to do so? 

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Hell, if you read it, Blizzard isn't attempting to own the name themselves (although they have the rights to do so), they are opposing Valve's attempt to copyright the name. So in essence, DotA 2 could still be called DotA 2, but Blizzard could still keep Blizzard DotA. Although, I suspect Valve will change the name.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Originally posted by Kaneth

Hell, if you read it, Blizzard isn't attempting to own the name themselves (although they have the rights to do so), they are opposing Valve's attempt to copyright the name. So in essence, DotA 2 could still be called DotA 2, but Blizzard could still keep Blizzard DotA. Although, I suspect Valve will change the name.

This ^ But people on these forums are so blinded with hate towards Blizzard that they will never ever consider the possibility that Blizzard may be right about something.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• gilgamesh42gilgamesh42 Member Posts: 300

league of legends sucks  its become more obvious that riot only cares about bringing in more nubs instead of creating features for the current player base

• TwwIXTwwIX Member Posts: 203

First Notch for "Scrolls", now this bullshit. Blizzard's assholishness knows no bounds. That's what happens when you partner up with somebody like Activision.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    I think Blizzard didn't have an issue as long as the DoTA name was being freely used by the gaming community. Hence their reason for the sit back and wait approach. It's only when Valve used sneaky methods to try to obtain the sole rights to the name and Blizzard effectively said...No, we were under the assumption that DoTA was for public use in the gaming circle. If anyone has a right to the name it would be the company who's resources were used to create it in the first place. Or so I would think...

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729

You know why blizzard shouldn't win---- BECAUSE THEY, DIDNT, MAKE, DOTA.  Blizzard did not release a game called Dota, blizzard has not been developing DOTA 2 for years now, no they have been developing pandacraft 2.0- revenge of the boring MMO....NOT....DOTA.

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

This is something I posted in the D3 forums so the start is refering to a quote.

This explains why Blizzard does not own the rights to the name DOTA nor can they really contenst the name.

Don't know what to tell you besides Elu and Icefrog don't own the Wc3 map editor code behind making Dota, but they do own the idea and concept behind Dota. It even created its own sub-genre and both of them are working for Valve. 

EDIT: Just a side note, Blizzard must be desperate for using DOTA on their used map setting game when HotS come out because that must be one of their big selling points for HotS.

Morrello even said to Icefrog he could get take over Dota so that leaves Elu and Icefrog with the rights to Dota.

Blizzard claiming the word "ancients" has anything to do with WarCraft 3 is such a huge joke its not even funny. The term ancients is used in plunty in regards to mythology and other games its not a copy righted term.

They are simply trying to stop Valve and the creaters of Dota from banking on the name Dota.

Blizzard does not own the name "DOTA" they should have listened to the DOTA community and supported the game when it was growing, so now they are screwed and just trying to muscle their way in to stop valve and Elu/Icefrog from trade marking their game name.

EDIT:

Blizzard must really want their "moba" or "arpg" to have DOTA attached to it to sell HotS copies, because that is the only reason I would even consider buying it, but then there is Dota 2 so screw that.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

So what gives Icefrog the right to name...? Heck one of the words in the title is a unit from WC3 and a huge part of the lore of one of the races, The guys who created DotA did not come up with one original thing apart from the setup, it is blizzards art assets, sound assests, game engine, lore assets and the oh so important fact that this reached fame because it was for WC3. You think anyone woudl have rememberd it if it was relseased as a stand alone game without any ties to the WC universe? I very much doubt it.

I my mind (and what i managed to put together from different legal rescources) Blizzard are very much in the right. And even if you think that they are not you shoudl support this as the ruling here vill help define a very murky part of copyright laws.

This have been a good conversation

• AzmodaiAzmodai Member UncommonPosts: 154

Originally posted by Sylviodrood

League of Ledgends!

<.<

despite the cornucopia of reasons to not play league of legends. dota is flat out a superior game and experience. and does blizzard really need more reasons for me to not give them money?

Superior? in what way? DOTA blows in every way compared to LOL. A game where you farm For 50 mints and then have 1 team fight and 1v5 others is pure horse shit. LOL has alot more stratiges involved,

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

hey morons nobody should own the DOTA name, that's what blizzard is trying to protect.  oh no though blizz is the bad guy blah blah blah....valve should not be able to own the dota name period.

valve = evil

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by Scalebane

hey morons nobody should own the DOTA name, that's what blizzard is trying to protect.  oh no though blizz is the bad guy blah blah blah....valve should not be able to own the dota name period.

valve = evil

Coming from someone who has no clue what REAL evil is.

And funny since most of blizzards arguments stem from it potentially hurting there brand, sicne its associated with it, really if you think blizzards trying to be good to anyone but themselve shere your in denial, blizzard doesnt care about anyone but themselves.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• ScalebaneScalebane Member UncommonPosts: 1,883

Originally posted by warmaster670

Originally posted by Scalebane

valve = evil

Coming from someone who has no clue what REAL evil is.

And funny since most of blizzards arguments stem from it potentially hurting there brand, sicne its associated with it, really if you think blizzards trying to be good to anyone but themselve shere your in denial, blizzard doesnt care about anyone but themselves.

yeah wanting it to remain free for anyone to use is sooooo  bad,   but its a great thing for valve to own it right, since you know they can screw the modding community over by sueing anyone that uses the name once they own it.

but you probably think valve is all innocent and awesome.  

"The great thing about human language is that it prevents us from sticking to the matter at hand."
    - Lewis Thomas

• britzbanbritzban Member UncommonPosts: 260

I wish Valve luck but they are going to lose. They should be calling this game something different.    Dota is a name of a mod for a game they own and the mod was created with textures and such from said game.    Blizzard owns the rights to any mod created for their game.   Blizzard also now owns  DotA-Allstars, LLC.  This guarantees they will win. 

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Not sure why Blizzard is getting all of the hate. It kind of reads like Valve has no business in this mess either. TBH, that read was a bit confusing and iam not really sure what the hell is going on.

If I am reading that correctly, neither Blizzard nor Valve hold the rights to the DOTA trademark?

"Two years later, Riot Games purchased the rights to DotA All-Stars LLC. Now here's the interesting bit. Last year, Riot Games had apparently transfered the rights to DotA All-Stars to LLC, giving them ownership of of all rights DotA All-Stars LLC may have had in connection DotA Mods and the DotA All-Stars website, including any trademarks or good will DotA All-Stars LLC may have had in the DotA Marks.'"

Kind of a cluster if you ask me, and I cannot tell who is in the right after reading this mess of an article.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047

No, they aren't trying to copyrite the name, valve is.  Valve wouldn't have to change the name because it wouldn't be copywrited.  

• lordtemplarlordtemplar Member Posts: 4

The problem is that Icefrog never offically trademarked the name. Although he "named" it, since he didn't file it legally, then it can't be proved in court.

Valve was trying to make it so that any time the name DOTA was used, they would make money. Blizzard wasn't the greedy ones here. I haven't played a Blizzard game since WCIII, but I agree with them on this one.