Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Are the Floodgates Opening?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

I see only two possibilities. It's either April launch and very messed up, like AoC or even worse. Or then a later date.

With the lack of gameplay videos, pre-orders et cetera there is no way in hell they can have a smooth launch in about 2 months from now. Zero.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • PaithanPaithan Member Posts: 377

Kinna makes me wonder, what about the secret war we signed up for in what? August?? The garanteed beta access that came tied to one of many Aoc related promotions.

I for one am not impressed by their promotion, a hand few of interview 2 and a half video and a couple of screenshots.

But the information, updates, news letters to people who have been registered since 2009.

Atleast to me they certainly seemed to have gone out of their way to kill interest.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Christ. Are some of you people even still capable to ENJOY MMO gaming or have some of you lost that ability the past couple of years? With such allround negativity that I encounter sometimes on these forums, I wonder why some people haven't slit their wrists yet or jumped off the building if that's their regular walk through life -_- smh a LOT.

Well, I don't dismiss a game not by default bc of some former grudge against the company making it, and personally I go for a 'wait and see' attitude and down-to-earth expectations, hasn't failed me yet so far. Besides, small annoyances or bugs don't scare me that easily so I had an awesome time in AoC. I like what I've learnt so far regarding TSW and I'm still able to enjoy MMO's for what they offer, so... I'm keeping an open mind about TSW.
  • El-HefeEl-Hefe Member UncommonPosts: 760

Originally posted by Paithan

Kinna makes me wonder, what about the secret war we signed up for in what? August?? The garanteed beta access that came tied to one of many Aoc related promotions.

I for one am not impressed by their promotion, a hand few of interview 2 and a half video and a couple of screenshots.

But the information, updates, news letters to people who have been registered since 2009.

Atleast to me they certainly seemed to have gone out of their way to kill interest.

i dont think they are killing interest, i think they are trying to be secretive, a lack of recent info about the game builds up a certain mystery that could be seen as intriging to a number of people.

I've got the straight edge.

Originally posted by smh_alot

Christ. Are some of you people even still capable to ENJOY MMO gaming or have some of you lost that ability the past couple of years? With such allround negativity that I encounter sometimes on these forums, I wonder why some people haven't slit their wrists yet or jumped off the building if that's their regular walk through life -_- smh a LOT.

Well, I don't dismiss a game not by default bc of some former grudge against the company making it, and personally I go for a 'wait and see' attitude and down-to-earth expectations, hasn't failed me yet so far. Besides, small annoyances or bugs don't scare me that easily so I had an awesome time in AoC. I like what I've learnt so far regarding TSW and I'm still able to enjoy MMO's for what they offer, so... I'm keeping an open mind about TSW.

I would agree with you, I had a blast for years on ao and aoc. I do base my oppinion on other things.

I used a promo that would garantee me beta access, granted they still have 2ish months left but still no word.

Lack of communication.

Lack of updates, adding 2 screenshots once every 6 months isnt a update sorry.

The secret war.. we signed up for that when? August wasnt it? Part of the appeal of the secret was was it offering garanteed access through it. Still no word from it actually starting.

Facebook, we where required to registed on facebook, they dont really do anything with our registrion/connection, to me this seems more like they had some sponsorship from facebook to get people signed up on it.

Seemly no pre-order plan.

Seemingly no interest in their registered (potentional) customers They certainly arent showing anything that suggest they actually DO want us there.

There is more I can add but that would just piss me off and francly  they lost the value to me to BE pissed off about it.

Originally posted by brody71

i dont think they are killing interest, i think they are trying to be secretive, a lack of recent info about the game builds up a certain mystery that could be seen as intriging to a number of people.

Some form of information concerning both the secret war AND the garanteed beta access through various promotions in the past is more then overdue, time is kinna.. running out to actually make good on that offer.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

So here's my question, did they fix the gear treadmill thing? You know where early on they promised that there wouldn't be a gear treadmill then they admited they would be putting one into the weapons? Just curious because that is a major turn off for me even tho i liked the premise of this game.

With what's happening with these companies lately, gotta say definitely won't be pre-ordering anything for a long long time. "the mmo that shall not be named" was such a bad launch the companies that rush these games out need to realize by players making the right choice and waiting, that we aren't going to pay enormous fees for the special collectors edition if the game isn't 1: feature complete AT LAUNCH and 2: bug free AT LAUNCH there's a reason why companies use multiple betas after the alpha in testing and it's to catch every bug before launch. Apparently someone lost the memo at these companies because here lately they've been letting the playerbase down.

I say wait for a while after launch see how it goes, if the players are happy then try out the game.

• YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Some form of information concerning both the secret war AND the garanteed beta access through various promotions in the past is more then overdue, time is kinna.. running out to actually make good on that offer.

Some people still don't get on what the secret war was about, do they?

Those who expected a "simple register and you enter" kind of deal should be disappointed. Those woh thoroughly read the anouncement about "delay" that day got well rewarded.  It all worked as intended :)

Apparantly some people areunable to comprehend it when developers go a  bit "meta" with the stuff. :)

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Originally posted by Yuui

Those who expected a "simple register and you enter" kind of deal should be disappointed. Those woh thoroughly read the anouncement about "delay" that day got well rewarded.  It all worked as intended :)

If you are not just talking out of your ass, that was then the most clever way of marketing a conspiracy/mystery MMO I've ever seen :)

I totally missed it.

• Destiny2010Destiny2010 Member UncommonPosts: 327

It actually was some sort of stuff on forums back then, I remember it myself, several lucky people got their beta access pretty early back then. tried myself, but could not get one at that time. So I was those who tried and tried again that got that day.

Still not beta for me either, but I expect it to be closer to launch, since I "paid" for it, in form of a bonus on AoC subs.

Meanwhile, I enjoy AoC :)

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Originally posted by itgrowls

So here's my question, did they fix the gear treadmill thing? You know where early on they promised that there wouldn't be a gear treadmill then they admited they would be putting one into the weapons? Just curious because that is a major turn off for me even tho i liked the premise of this game.

With what's happening with these companies lately, gotta say definitely won't be pre-ordering anything for a long long time. "the mmo that shall not be named" was such a bad launch the companies that rush these games out need to realize by players making the right choice and waiting, that we aren't going to pay enormous fees for the special collectors edition if the game isn't 1: feature complete AT LAUNCH and 2: bug free AT LAUNCH there's a reason why companies use multiple betas after the alpha in testing and it's to catch every bug before launch. Apparently someone lost the memo at these companies because here lately they've been letting the playerbase down.

I say wait for a while after launch see how it goes, if the players are happy then try out the game.

In The Secret World armor does not have stats.  It is all purely cosmetic so you can look however you want.  Stats are on weapons and other trinket type things.  There will be a grind if you are trying to unlock all 500 skills, but you can advance towards a deck and in a specific way to become a stronger character faster.

There also likely won't be much of a quest grind since you can only have 3 active quests at once.  I would imagine it would make players pay more attention to quests and have some fun.

On launch MMO's of course if you want to avoid bugs, initial rush server que's, over crowded early game areas then you should definitely wait a month and let everything settle.

Personally launch day is the most fun day I have had in almost every MMO out there and I am a launch addict.  Something about it just really gets me.  Especially in a game like this with ARG quests built in.  I want to be there with the first wave that figures these things out, and not just a google for answer. 

Apparantly some people areunable to comprehend it when developers go a  bit "meta" with the stuff. :)

Considering Phase 2 hasnt started yet, I gues you are one of those people who didnt get it.

I do remember them mentioning before starting off phase 2 they want to build a community, considering a entire faction's activity on facebook is extinct, Id say say they failed there.

Or are you talking about the complete lack of communication on facebook other then the rare new link showing some info on the faction weeks, new screenshot(s) , they rally arent doing anything there.

But hey I didnt sign up for the sectret war to get into beta, considering I already HAVE garanteed beta from previous promotions, just no invite yet. But you are right, even if they invite 5 minutes before the servers go down before retail, they still would be keeping their word.

Considering Phase 2 hasnt started yet, I gues you are one of those people who didnt get it.

I do remember them mentioning before starting off phase 2 they want to build a community, considering a entire faction's activity on facebook is extinct, Id say say they failed there.

Or are you talking about the complete lack of communication on facebook other then the rare new link showing some info on the faction weeks, new screenshot(s) , they rally arent doing anything there.

But hey I didnt sign up for the sectret war to get into beta, considering I already HAVE garanteed beta from previous promotions, just no invite yet. But you are right, even if they invite 5 minutes before the servers go down before retail, they still would be keeping their word.

what phase 2? :)

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

what phase 2? :)

Ah I see you are just trolling, I confused you for a serious poster, I appologise.

But acording to their own FAQ:

Q: Is the full ‘The Secret War’ experience available now?

A: No, the experience is being launched in two phases. The first phase launched on August 29th, 2011 and includes the new trailer video, the brand-new personality test, and the ability to choose a secret society and register with that society. This also functions as the official beta registration for ‘The Secret World’.

Q: What will the second phase include?

A: The second phase will include all the advanced features of the experience, such as the ability to recruit friends and make them agents for your cause, affect the influence of your secret society on an interactive world map, climb the ranks of your society by sharing screenshots and information about ‘The Secret World’ with your friends, unlocking exclusive in-game items such as weapons and clothing, and more. The experience will even feature new videos that the community must work together to unlock!

Q: Is there any other way to register that does not require Facebook Connect?

A: The second phase of the experience will rely heavily on social networking functionality such as the ability to recruit friends and turn them into agents. But if you only want to signup for the beta without taking part in the second phase of the Secret War, you can go to https://register.funcom.com/tsw_beta/ where Facebook is not required. 

Found here (their official forums) :

http://www.darkdemonscrygaia.com/showthread.php?t=21157 

snip

So bassically you missed the whole point of the whole thing, then? good to know. 

It was quite clear that the whole August 29 thing happened exactly as intended. Those who followed given clues that day as well as were active got what they wanted. Others remained to wait and did not get what they wanted.

# ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

snip

So bassically you missed the whole point of the whole thing, then? good to know. 

It was quite clear that the whole August 29 thing happened exactly as intended. Those who followed given clues that day as well as were active got what they wanted. Others remained to wait and did not get what they wanted.

Well its not beta access I expect from it, since I already HAVE garanteed beta access from previous promotion.

And acording to THEM , the 2nd phase hasnt even started. Maybe its the complete lack of activity on facebook, that was required for the secret war, Im sure its not the little puzzles they where running already before the anouncement for the secret war and still doesnt require any registration to the secret war, not to mention THEY saying the ( full) experiance is NOT availeble.

SO I gues I miss the point of signing up for something that doesnt start anything (new) at all.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by ProfRed
    Personally launch day is the most fun day I have had in almost every MMO out there and I am a launch addict.  Something about it just really gets me.  Especially in a game like this with ARG quests built in.  I want to be there with the first wave that figures these things out, and not just a google for answer.

I'm of the same mindset as you. It all comes down to this: get busy playin', or get busy whinin' :)

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by I_Return

a lot of neww players  who have never dealt with Funcom will be in for some surprises.....

I have dealt with Funcom. I've enjoyed the heck out of Dreamfall, The Longest Journey and AoC. So, what's your point? More interesting, what will you do when a lot of them will end up enjoying their gameplay time, will you scold them for it or will you accept that if you might have disliked or dislike some games, that isn't necessarily a reason for others to feel the same too?
  • VotanVotan Member UncommonPosts: 291

You can call out Funcom for a lot of things they did wrong I will give them some high marks for doing some things that almost no game company ever does;  admit its mistakes, apologize for them, and more importantly fire people associated with the AoC project including the lead designer and co-founder of the company. 

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549
    Crikey - everyone on this thread is as cynical as I am! I'm not sure if this is a good thing or not!
  • ShankenstienShankenstien Member Posts: 13

I for one think that with Ragnar involved and just the subject matter alone actually, this game is going to be incredible. I have faith that Funcom have learned from their mistakes and I see the launch being much smoother than AoC, plus, AoC was so cutting edge graphically when it came out and they tried to go so unconventional with the mechanics of combat it was bound to have bad teething problems. I think people hold on to their ill feeling toward Funcom way too tightly, almost to the point that their not actually sure as to why they feel so badly about them as a company and just do so out of habit because they have been saying how bad Funcom is for so long.

WoW, LoTRO, AoC, DCU, EvE, RoM, Champions, Bloodline Champions, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Fallen Earth, SWTOR, EQ2, Guild Wars