Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What would the license cost?

GeevesGeeves Member UncommonPosts: 149

Obviously very much pie in the sky stuff. What kind of figure (ballpark) would you be looking at to purchase an IP like TCoS from Disney? Would the development tools be sold as part of the purchase or need to be purchased seperately?

Just to clarify so no one gets their hopes up, I'm not planning anything, just wondering what would be involved if someone were to go down that road.

MUNDO!!

Comments

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

It is almost impossible to say.  You would have to enter negotiations.  It could be that everything could be had for a song ($200K) or it could be that they would want to break things down and sell them separately.  I would guess that they view it as a low value asset, and if someone approached them with reasonable offer they'd jump on it.

Or maybe they are using the tools to make a Gummy Bears MMO, in which case they may sell the IP (basically worthless IMO) and want to retain the rights to to the development tools.

• GeevesGeeves Member UncommonPosts: 149

Originally posted by grimfall

I would guess that they view it as a low value asset, and if someone approached them with reasonable offer they'd jump on it.

But when you say "reasonable offer" we're still talking in the realm of hundreds of thousands of dollars?

Interesting.

MUNDO!!

• freeyoupifreeyoupi Member UncommonPosts: 20

Originally posted by Amarok44
    Obviously very much pie in the sky stuff. What kind of figure (ballpark) would you be looking at to purchase an IP like TCoS from Disney? Would the development tools be sold as part of the purchase or need to be purchased seperately?
    Just to clarify so no one gets their hopes up, I'm not planning anything, just wondering what would be involved if someone were to go down that road.

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to point out that the figures you are thinking of are way lower than those you are tinking of. Actualy the IP adress is not so mutch of a problem, prices are not that high. But when it comes to the domain name tcos.com, things might get a bit trickier. Actually Disney is not the owner of the domain tcos.com. Spellborn International Ltd. is the owner.

The trouble is getting in contact with the proper owner(s) to discuss taking it out of their hands. The trademarks of spellborn are registered via a office in the netherlands and also in Wanchi, Hongkong. Maby via those offices you could get information about the proper owners.

Once the transfer of ownership is done, then you only need to redirect the domain tcos.com to a different IP adress. This is what they did when the EU servers went down, they just redirect the domain to the Acclaim servers.

I hope this information is usefull in any way.

Respectfully,

Acid-Burn

Playing: The chronicles of Spellborn
    Server: Deiquonril
    Main Char: Acid-Burn (Ancestral Mage, L50, Born 10/12/2008)
    Ex-Guild Master of "Origin Born Killers"

• NaowutNaowut Member UncommonPosts: 663

Originally posted by freeyoup

IP adress

Im pretty sure theyre talking about IP, (Intellectual Property) not IP (Internet Protocol)

• freeyoupifreeyoupi Member UncommonPosts: 20

Thanks, for the clarification. I guess I got it wrong, I am not used to those terms in english as it's not my native language.
    Excuses for the mistake.

Playing: The chronicles of Spellborn
    Server: Deiquonril
    Main Char: Acid-Burn (Ancestral Mage, L50, Born 10/12/2008)
    Ex-Guild Master of "Origin Born Killers"