Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Standard Server: Population

Comments

• FusionFusion Member UncommonPosts: 1,398

You guys do know that tatooine was a spot that early access people were at... december?

All the people on the servers are mainly lv50 OR alts you see scattered here and there

http://neocron-game.com/ - now totally F2P no cash-shops or micro transactions at all.
  • smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by iceman00

Originally posted by BadSpock

I wonder if the PvP versus PvE servers is the big difference?
    Because the PvP is so bad, people who joined PvP servers get to 50 and then quit.
    I am on a PvP server and the Republic has barely 40-70 people in Fleet at peak hours, and planets like Corellia/Voss/Belsavis have maybe 10 people max.
    Not too sure about the mid level planets, but on an alt Ord Mantell/Coruscant were both around 20-25.
    We can't even put together a full 16 person Op on Illum during peak hours, while the Empire has at least 40-50 people farming us - hence I don't do Illum. Or PvP, at all.

I know at around midnight EST, Nar Shadaa has had 10 the last two nights for empire on Vulkar Highway.  I know its an EST server so I expect it to be light, but only 10....

What's sad is that I joined this to play with guildmates, but the server is so dead during my time, might go to a West coast server.  And despite my love of pvp games, I might honestly choose a pve server until pvp improves.

Any suggestions? 

Hmm, I dunno. I did a count at the evening (EST) for Vulkar a few days back, and I counted 1700 players logged in in total. That's seriously as much (and even more) as you'll find on other high population servers in other MMO's. But, if your playtimes are more nightly East Coast time, then maybe switching to a high population West Coast server might indeed be a solution.
  • NazgolNazgol Member Posts: 864

Originally posted by fony

Originally posted by spizz

Iam playing on a large server, actually it was one of them with the highest populaton at the beginning  when it comes to server load.

On prime time: 36 people on Tatooine and the whole republic faction is more or less empty....90% Huttenball.

Where are the 1.7 million players, where do they hide ?  =) 

they lowered the player cap on the 4th. on the 3rd the spread was 5% heavy server pop, on the 4th it was 35% heavy. surely, it might be explained by selling an extre 500k units or so that week, but they actually saw a bigger sales drop, down to 50K that week. in game it's still kind of empty on those servers, but of course the devout fans will say they are simply surrounded by hundreds of people.

the only explanation is that they lowered server caps in order for the server status to read standard to heavy, because most were low last week.

So your pulling these numbers out your black hole I take it and stating they have lowered server caps without any proof is silly. I am looking at the server status and look fine to me. Is there a populations drop? Yes, heck they even told you so in the quartlery report, but from what I am experiencing it is very minor.

In Bioware we trust!

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336

Originally posted by Nazgol

Iam playing on a large server, actually it was one of them with the highest populaton at the beginning  when it comes to server load.

On prime time: 36 people on Tatooine and the whole republic faction is more or less empty....90% Huttenball.

they lowered the player cap on the 4th. on the 3rd the spread was 5% heavy server pop, on the 4th it was 35% heavy. surely, it might be explained by selling an extre 500k units or so that week, but they actually saw a bigger sales drop, down to 50K that week. in game it's still kind of empty on those servers, but of course the devout fans will say they are simply surrounded by hundreds of people.

the only explanation is that they lowered server caps in order for the server status to read standard to heavy, because most were low last week.

So your pulling these numbers out your black hole I take it and stating they have lowered server caps without any proof is silly. I am looking at the server status and look fine to me. Is there a populations drop? Yes, heck they even told you so in the quartlery report, but from what I am experiencing it is very minor.

There's no way you can pull anything out of a black hole. The gravitational force is too strong.

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254

All mmo's drop in population after the first month - period.

The last mmo to release that did not drop after the first month is WoW.

This is now industry standard. Get used to it.

It is not a sign of bad games it is a sign of more choice. More games mean you do not have to put up with those little things that annoy you, you are free to choose a game with annoyances you are used to or aren't gamebreaking in your opinion.

One day, a game will release that does not lose subs after the first month. It will be an anomoly like WoW. Then it will go back to years of every game losing subs after the first month is over.

Please get used to it. I'm sure the industry is now building its financial models with this recurring fact in mind.

For every game this theory of doomed populations has not proven to shut games down, except on very rare occasions.

Please, for all the good that is still left in this world, please stop drawing this doom and gloom conclusion for this, and every game that has come out recently - you are simply not looking at the big picture.

The drop in populations after the first month in this and every game does not mean that every single game is crap. That is ludicrously too simple an answer. The industry is bigger, more profitable with populations in the millions upon millions, and the industry is growing. This industry is not built upon 'fail' games. Modern population fluctuation in mmo's is a relatively simple answer (though not ludicrously so); it is the most basic answer upon which the entire study of business and economics is based; supply and demand. We have an abundant supply, we have choice, we have the ability to choose a game which caters to our individual likes and preferences. We are curious about new games, but no longer have to commit to them - because there are other fish in the sea. Because of this supply, we have choice in payment options we never had before, more sci fi than before, more kids games, more hardcore games, more sandboxes than before, and a lot more themeparks than before. EQ announced across servers the first time they had 50,000 concurant players. How many times do you multiply that to get the number of people playing mmo's concurrently at any given moment of the day. And the vast majority of the games that these millions upon millions of players are playing lost subs after the first month.

SWTOR is fine; it has done better than most. It seems to have a higher retention rate than all of the games  that have released in the last few years.

• knapleknaple Member UncommonPosts: 56

Well Tatooine sucks and its pretty easy to get passed level 25. Thats why no one is there. 

~Knaple~

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Originally posted by SanHor

Originally posted by Nazgol

There's no way you can pull anything out of a black hole. The gravitational force is too strong.

The gravity pulls the light back in.....But....google Quasar Burst...The do discharge radiation....hehe...semantics...

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Originally posted by Zorgo

It is not a sign of bad games it is a sign of more choice. More games mean you do not have to put up with those little things that annoy you, you are free to choose a game with annoyances you are used to or aren't gamebreaking in your opinion.

One day, a game will release that does not lose subs after the first month. It will be an anomoly like WoW. Then it will go back to years of every game losing subs after the first month is over.

Please get used to it. I'm sure the industry is now building its financial models with this recurring fact in mind.

For every game this theory of doomed populations has not proven to shut games down, except on very rare occasions.

Please, for all the good that is still left in this world, please stop drawing this doom and gloom conclusion for this, and every game that has come out recently - you are simply not looking at the big picture.

The drop in populations after the first month in this and every game does not mean that every single game is crap. That is ludicrously too simple an answer. The industry is bigger, more profitable with populations in the millions upon millions, and the industry is growing. This industry is not built upon 'fail' games. Modern population fluctuation in mmo's is a relatively simple answer (though not ludicrously so); it is the most basic answer upon which the entire study of business and economics is based; supply and demand. We have an abundant supply, we have choice, we have the ability to choose a game which caters to our individual likes and preferences. We are curious about new games, but no longer have to commit to them - because there are other fish in the sea. Because of this supply, we have choice in payment options we never had before, more sci fi than before, more kids games, more hardcore games, more sandboxes than before, and a lot more themeparks than before. EQ announced across servers the first time they had 50,000 concurant players. How many times do you multiply that to get the number of people playing mmo's concurrently at any given moment of the day. And the vast majority of the games that these millions upon millions of players are playing lost subs after the first month.

SWTOR is fine; it has done better than most. It seems to have a higher retention rate than all of the games  that have released in the last few years.

Nice post.

Although I wil take the liberity to sum it up: Stop crying DOOOM when the day after the Grand Opening, there isn't a line out the door.

• Jason2444Jason2444 Member Posts: 372

Did you listen to how Johnny boy worded the sub number of TOR?

He said "We have sold 2 million copies and have 1.7 million active subs. The rest either haven't activited or are on the free trial"

So that means either

1: TOR has a 100% retention rate (He mentioned 2 viarables. Those who haven't activited and those who are on the trials. He left out how many they lost. X + Y =/= 0 )

or

2: He pulled the numbers before the free trial was over

Pick one

MMOs played: WoW, Star Wars Galaxies, Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars, Planetside, Global Agenda, Star Trek Online, RIFT, Everquest 2, Age of Conan, Warhammer Online, EvE online, APB
    Best MMO Companies: Trion Worlds, ArenaNet, CCP
    Worst MMO Companies: Electronic Arts

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

You missed EvE online it has grown every years since its release.. Another fact games like AOC and Warhammer arnt that fun to play with the low population that they have.. I dont understand why people even bother playing them but some people are Machocists I guess. The Free to play Modual that most A+ Titles of the last years is a sure Indicator that the P2P modual dosent work if you have a bad game design.

Also when there is free to play games that offer the same as P2P games and might even do some things better. Its very hard to keep subscribers if you dont have any Innovating content...

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by Jason2444

He said "We have sold 2 million copies and have 1.7 million active subs. The rest either haven't activited or are on the free trial"

So that means either

1: TOR has a 100% retention rate (He mentioned 2 viarables. Those who haven't activited and those who are on the trials. He left out how many they lost. X + Y =/= 0 )

or

Pick one

In the Q&A commentaries the BW people gave plus other statements of that conference meeting, it becomes clear that they're talking about a recent situation ('currently, 'at the moment' were terms used), when both ppl who're still in their free month and those that have started paying are counted. Also, the figure wasn't 2 million, but OVER 2 million, which could be 2.05 but might as well be 2.4-2.5+ as well.

Originally posted by Zlayer77
    You missed EvE online it has grown every years since its release.. Another fact games like AOC and Warhammer arnt that fun to play with the low population that they have.. I dont understand why people even bother playing them but some people are Machocists I guess. The Free to play Modual that most A+ Titles of the last years is a sure Indicator that the P2P modual dosent work if you have a bad game design.
    Also when there is free to play games that offer the same as P2P games and might even do some things better. Its very hard to keep subscribers if you dont have any Innovating content...

Regarding AoC, people play it because they're having FUN, just as MMO's like LotrO can be fun. Yeah, I know, fun can be an alien concept to understand if someone's not having any, but fun usually isn't the same as masochism. Maybe only for people who are not having fun while playing an MMO -_-

I think MMO's like WoW, LotrO and Aion have shown that the main motivation why people keep being subbed isn't because of innovation, but because of fun that those games provide. Some people have forgotten that it isn't innovation that is the main motivator to play MMO's, but fun.
  • MetentsoMetentso Member UncommonPosts: 1,437

Originally posted by smh_alot

I think MMO's like WoW, LotrO and Aion have shown that the main motivation why people keep being subbed isn't because of innovation, but because of fun that those games provide. Some people have forgotten that it isn't innovation that is the main motivator to play MMO's, but fun.

Yeah fun is what changed MMORPGS to what we have now.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

one what time of the day do you play?

2, my server at 6pm-11pm averages 250+ on fleet 70+ or more in each operation and the startes worlds had about 50 each in them. We actually had 315 for a while in fleet. and its slowly growing. and when I was in Hutball lvl 50 there were 60+

That being said there always should be drop off. and they should always allow character transfers from the start of any game.

But would also like to say about 3 months ago on WoW I ran a character to max level on a heavy poplulated server and did not see one person the entire time unless I was in IF.

• pmaurapmaura Member UncommonPosts: 530

Originally posted by knaple

Well Tatooine sucks and its pretty easy to get passed level 25. Thats why no one is there. 

tatoonie is awesome. whats wrong with you man, are you an albino who hates the sun :)

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

So that means either

or

Pick one

Think you are possibly misunderstanding.  

It would seem they have sold ~2 million boxes, while others are on a free trial (i.e. no sale, and without a subscription).  Out of the ~2 million box sales 1.7 million are active at the time of reporting.   The number of active players = 1.7 million active subs + those on a free trial.

• ThemePorkThemePork Member Posts: 312

Originally posted by grapevine

So that means either

or

Pick one

It would seem they have sold ~2 million boxes, while others are on a free trial (i.e. no sale, and without a subscription).  Out of the ~2 million box sales 1.7 million are active at the time of reporting.   The number of active players = 1.7 million active subs + those on a free trial.

There is no free trial. As soon as you install the game, if you want to play, you need to set up a subscription plan. You'll only be charged after the end of the free month of course but still, people who are playing the free month are concidered as subscribers.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Got Heavy Pop on my server, most are in the high level zones or on the fleet, but DKass gets a lot most days have 2-3 instances of that zone.

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927

Originally posted by Charas

Originally posted by grapevine

So that means either

or

Pick one

There is no free trial. As soon as you install the game, if you want to play, you need to set up a subscription plan. You'll only be charged after the end of the free month of course but still, people who are playing the free month are concidered as subscribers.

They state there is.  So people are getting one somehow.  Unless they are classing those within the first month as the free trial, and those beyond that subscriped as have payed above the box value.

That would mean they have 1.7million retained players, with the other 300k floating between unactivated codes, those within their first month and those that did not pay the first subscription (i.e. left).

• proponentproponent Member UncommonPosts: 92

I left due to lack of players. 15 in fleet and maybe 70ish in the entire republic were on that sad day. Sat in WZ queue for 45 min. The way the entire game is set up is kinda mind boggling and very evident that it is their first rodeo. 

Looks like it should run on a Ipad but even top teir gaming rigs are having problems.

Don't get me wrong. It feels very KOTOR but not very MMO.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

There was like 100+ people on DK the other day.  Of course, this was empire side.

whatever...

eqnext.wikia.com

• RoshaRosha Member UncommonPosts: 29

I think all the free play and such has impacted the servers, that and well, Xmas break is long over for some.

I'm on Vulkar highway and it's pretty common to see 3-4 instances of Fleet with over 3-400 peeps there.  Other planets aren't quite so high, but I've never seen below 50-60 anywhere I've been.  I'm Impside so that may be the difference, as I visited same server, Pub side and the fleet there had 23 people, no extra instances.  Ilum is now back to it's typical 100-150 imps running around, so if you've got a reb guild - bring it, you'll find lots of opponents (really that's the case anywhere)

• wrekognizewrekognize Member UncommonPosts: 388

Originally posted by pmaura

tatoonie is awesome. whats wrong with you man, are you an albino who hates the sun :)

I got a warning for my post on how I feel sorry for themepark players, and it was removed.  yet this one remains? Interesting

Originally posted by wrekognize

Originally posted by pmaura

I got a warning for my post on how I feel sorry for themepark players, and it was removed.  yet this one remains? Interesting

What's wrong with liking themepark?

eqnext.wikia.com

• FratmanFratman Member Posts: 344

I think people should stop criticizing the game at this point. It's getting sad. Yes, Bioware dun goofed and the game failed. But let's not kick a piece of garbage themepark WoW clone when it's down. Just leave it be and let it fade into obscurity.

Originally posted by Fratman

I think people should stop criticizing the game at this point. It's getting sad. Yes, Bioware dun goofed and the game failed. But let's not kick a piece of garbage themepark WoW clone when it's down. Just leave it be and let it fade into obscurity.

Out of curiosity, which game(s) (MMOs) are you playing.

eqnext.wikia.com