Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me (Re: Funcom's blockbuster failure TSW)

Comments

• fonyfony Member Posts: 755

Originally posted by AdamTM

Originally posted by fony

Originally posted by DeaconX

I guess time will tell.  Little birds from beta thus far sing a different song.

just like another game you turned away from. i have seen recent beta footage, they need to scrap that hard april release window.

get an understanding....i'm not saying it's crap. it needs more development time.

No offense, but you've seen 15 minutes of beta footage from one guy.

Not the same thing as playing it yourself.

I'm far from going into defense mode over this, the game needs work, yes, but the april release looks pretty much on schedule to me.

Obviously you will need to take my word for it.

that was the only link i could post as megaupload is down, but i have seen about two hours worth of footage. i'll say it again, april is too soon.

• MuntzMuntz Member UncommonPosts: 332

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Originally posted by gamesrfun

c)  Funcom is releasing TSW on a far tighter release schedule with less testing and with less beta feedback.

Its been in beta since may 2011

its been in development since BEFORE age of conan

And it uses the same engine as age of conan. 

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

just like another game you turned away from. i have seen recent beta footage, they need to scrap that hard april release window.

get an understanding....i'm not saying it's crap. it needs more development time.

I'm far from going into defense mode over this, the game needs work, yes, but the april release looks pretty much on schedule to me.

that was the only link i could post as megaupload is down, but i have seen about two hours worth of footage. i'll say it again, april is too soon.

Well, i can't have a discussion about this here due to NDA, so *shrug*

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

if its the same leak video I saw, video from 1 guy who positively gushes over it and is trying to persuade his guild mates to play it instead of SWTOR.  A guy with a 5 year old computer playing it with the graphics toned down quite a lot.

Originally posted by Muntz

c)  Funcom is releasing TSW on a far tighter release schedule with less testing and with less beta feedback.

it uses a newer version of the engine than conan - its on version 3. conan was version 2.  they recently retro fitted some features from TSW into AOC and upgraded AOC to 2.5

Left for dead 2 uses the same engine as Quake 1 (updgraded)

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

TSW is like a giant jigzaw puzzle at the moment. They have finished all the edge pieces, put the sky parts together but you can't see the whole picture yet and it doesn't look near finished, even though you have done 95% of the work and all that is left is putting the non-sky prebuilt pieces in the right spot.

I visited Funcom about a month ago and one of the lead designers wanted to show of a piece of the game that wasn't in the beta at the time. It was obviously far along in the alfa testing and quite presentable, but he wasn't allowed to show it off. Funcom is doing it quite differently this time compared to AoC.

They are close-mouthed and instead of building hype around features that might make it to launch, they are waiting for them to look finished in alfa before putting them into the beta and then after some time in the beta, they release the information. I think Funcom wants people to remember TSW as a game that gave you more than you expected.

The downside to this is that I think the open beta is going to be very short. :/

Originally posted by zakiyawow

Here we go again...

Another game is failing thread before the game is even released

I swear people are living off posting threads like this

I got it with SWTOR, when the devs were going "we are going to copy wow", obviously if you don't like wow you also wont like SWTOR.

I don't get this Im a fan of upcoming game A so I'm going to slag off upcoming game B and upcoming game C, it's kinda creepy.

TSW iswhat im looking forwards to next, but I'm also looking forwards to ArcheAge and Planetside2, slightly looking forwads to Dominus and GW2 but worried e-sports will dominate over "casual PVP" as arenanet put it.  Heck if TERA gets good reviews from trustworthy sites (e.g. the ones that didn't give SWTOR 95% a week after release) I will give that a go too.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Here we go again...

I got it with SWTOR, when the devs were going "we are going to copy wow", obviously if you don't like wow you also wont like SWTOR.

I don't get this Im a fan of upcoming game A so I'm going to slag off upcoming game B and upcoming game C, it's kinda creepy.

TSW iswhat im looking forwards to next, but I'm also looking forwards to ArcheAge and Planetside2, slightly looking forwads to Dominus and GW2 but worried e-sports will dominate over "casual PVP" as arenanet put it.  Heck if TERA gets good reviews from trustworthy sites (e.g. the ones that didn't give SWTOR 95% a week after release) I will give that a go too.

I wouldn't worry too much about GW2 PVP vs PVE. I play GW on and off still and never pvp in GW. There are plenty of stuff to do besides PVP. I am sure they kept that in mind when they are making GW2.

Here we go again...

I wouldn't worry too much about GW2 PVP vs PVE. I play GW on and off still and never pvp in GW. There are plenty of stuff to do besides PVP. I am sure they kept that in mind when they are making GW2.

no im woried they call the mists "casual pvp" and the arena e"sport" stuff "competative pvp"

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Sheep have been led to poisoned water twice now. 

For some unexplicable reason, Funcom stock has went up in anticipation of TSW despite the following facts:

a)  Funcom has far less money than it ever did to develop and promote the product;

b)  Funcom is participating in a far more brutal mmo market, right in between SWTOR and GW2 and well, 1000s of social facebook type MMOs from North America and Korea;

It is going to be a catastrophic failure. 

Hmm twice ? Anarchy Online was later that same year Awarded Game of the year. No where in your post do you even bring up AO so i am assuming you did nto even play that game, and are just basing your "Twice" on conjecture and the terrible launch AO had. 

AoC was not the worst released MMO, it was far from good, and the over hyping of the game was a huge detriment to it. AoC has aged and has an OK population. 

I am not sure how you can make such a blanket statement and expect to have any credibility. 

This post is pretty obvious a troll.

Lolipops !

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

I don't see this game flourishing as a subscription game.  I do think Funcom can learn from their mistakes, but good luck competing in this MMO market.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395

Originally posted by Voiidiin

For some unexplicable reason, Funcom stock has went up in anticipation of TSW despite the following facts:

a)  Funcom has far less money than it ever did to develop and promote the product;

b)  Funcom is participating in a far more brutal mmo market, right in between SWTOR and GW2 and well, 1000s of social facebook type MMOs from North America and Korea;

Hmm twice ? Anarchy Online was later that same year Awarded Game of the year. No where in your post do you even bring up AO so i am assuming you did nto even play that game, and are just basing your "Twice" on conjecture and the terrible launch AO had. 

AoC was not the worst released MMO, it was far from good, and the over hyping of the game was a huge detriment to it. AoC has aged and has an OK population. 

I am not sure how you can make such a blanket statement and expect to have any credibility. 

This post is pretty obvious a troll.

It earned MMO of the year in 2001 from one magazine.

I'm with the OP. I don't see how any one can anticipate this game. But, also, I couldn't care less about your unfounded hype and name calling. Good luck.

• RaysheRayshe Member UncommonPosts: 1,279

Quick little tidbit. what game has ever launched without a face plant. honestly, every game starts off bad and moves forward until its good. so people who are whining about having a bad product on launch i will say this.

WELL DUH, your basically stating that day becomes night. you can sit back saying "heh heh, i was right" when everyone already knows thats how MMO's start up your making a pointless statement.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Originally posted by LadyNoh

Quick little tidbit. what game has ever launched without a face plant. honestly, every game starts off bad and moves forward until its good. so people who are whining about having a bad product on launch i will say this.

You think AoC had a standard launch and everyone should expect that type of experience at launch?  You are deluding yourself.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Originally posted by I_Return

Anarchy Online is how old ? And it still has massive issues. AoC the same thing, and I will be suprised if TSW is any different.

What "massive" issues does AO still have?

I played that game for a number of years, still pop in occasionally from time to time, and didn't run into any of these massive issues.  Launch was a joke of course but FC quickly got their shit together and the game shaped up nicely.

Same with AoC.

Of course I don't expect a response because there are no "massive' Issues with AO.

I'm no Funcom fanboy, but the bashing borders on the ridiculous as far as they are concerned.

OT:

I was really looking forward to this title until I heard about the cash shop.  My interest became non-existent after that.  Still I'll watch it because the premise of the game intrigues me.

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

You think AoC had a standard launch and everyone should expect that type of experience at launch?  You are deluding yourself.

you took that wrong. and i really cant comprehend how you think i believe that AoC launched well. let me explain much simplier.

The standard launch is a bad one. everygame faceplants, everygame blooms afterwards. and before you go on about AoC being bad therefore TSW will be bad. Completely different dev team. you wanna see something this Dev team released, go play longest journey.

Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I honestly just expect this game to be another themepark wow clone like swtor was, I honestly have no hopes for the mmorpg genre anymore, I used to love them but its been ages since a real mmo has come out.

Anarchy Online TBH is probally still the only sci-fi mmorpg on the market that doesn't suck hard. Eve is as boring as watching dog shit ferment in the grass, and there have been a few other sci-fi's mmo's but none kept my interest like AO did, Honestly all the game needs is a graphical facelift and they could probally relaunch it.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• IskenderIskender Member Posts: 10

Fortunately I wasn't around for the AO launch but I most certainly was around for the AoC launch and I can't even begin to describe what a disaster that turned out to be.  For the record, the only 2 launches that I have been a part of that were worse were Vanguard (which is actually quite playable atm and quite possibly has some of the best PvE content available on the market now) and Final Fantasy XIV (which is still an unmitigated disaster, so much so, that SquareEnix is redoing the whole game and hopefully releasing the new version at the end of this year).  I am actually told that AoC is a pretty fun game now but I just can't bring myself to play it again thanks to that atrocious launch despite not playing any themepark games atm (I am playing EvE sort of).

Where to begin with AoC? Tortage was amazing, every zone after that was a bugged out mess. The game had memory leaks galore making even the best systems run the game like complete shit at times. The whole game was instanced including zones so you had to let friends know which version of the zone you were in so you could group. Hardly no content past level 35 including a zone that was such a disaster that it was completely off limits for over a month.  There were features promised at launch that are still not available (drunken brawling). Attribute stats on gear that didn't have any effect.  The forums were cacophony of bitching and legitimately so but Funcom failed miserably to address player concerns.  Tbh, if AoC was actually released in a respectable state, WoW could have had a legitimate rival years ago but that wasnt meant to be.

I really hope my fears concerning the release of TSW are unfounded.  I really do.  I want to play this game so bad.  Quite frankly, I am sick to death of the fantasy genre and I'm at the point where I'll give any AAA title that isn't fantasy a try just on the hope that I can find a new home that doesn't have elves and all the other denizens that inhabit the fantasy trope.  The game also seems to have some different mechanics (like the skill system) that I find quite fascinating and I eagerly look forward to tinkering with it.  I just can't bring myself to pre-order or even purchase the game for a month or two after it releases for the fear that I'll end up with another horrendous launch, another disillusioned moment in my MMO gaming experience

Honestly, this game will be my last straw. i was close to giving up on the MMO genre aswell. this will be the game that will make or break the decision.

Because i can.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

Honestly, this game will be my last straw. i was close to giving up on the MMO genre aswell. this will be the game that will make or break the decision.

I'd give phantasy star online 2 a shot, currently its in alpha 2 testing in japan, so we got a while, but look up some videos of it, it looks like it plays alot diffrent than most mmo's out there. Its the only mmo I am waiting for currently. Mainly because its not fantasy its more sci-fi, and the fact it's not just another world of warcraft rip off, like swtor and gw2 (and probally TSW will feel like wow I bet, I have no faith in mmo's anymore). I might pick up a 360 and a copy of phantasy star universe to hold me over tbh.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

You're right about B and C, IDK about. DCUO was in beta for about 4 months i think and TOR was even more I think. And UI for both game's sucked. That's like your most basics of all. Game's coming out in what, like 3 months? Have we heard anything about beta? Are they going to beta test on our money just like FFXIV?

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Muntz

it uses a newer version of the engine than conan - its on version 3. conan was version 2.  they recently retro fitted some features from TSW into AOC and upgraded AOC to 2.5

Left for dead 2 uses the same engine as Quake 1 (updgraded)

Quake uses Quake engine, and L4D uses source engine. Source engine is original engine developed by Valve. Just saying, doesent mean that TSW couldnt do amazing things with AoC's upgraded engine though.

Originally posted by Siveria

I'd give phantasy star online 2 a shot, currently its in alpha 2 testing in japan, so we got a while, but look up some videos of it, it looks like it plays alot diffrent than most mmo's out there. Its the only mmo I am waiting for currently.

maybe if this flops. i really dont wanna see it do that though. after 5 months of SWTOR testing, i noticed that they literally step by step removed everything i loved about the game.

with TSW's the questing pattern looking more sandbox that themepark

(ill explain that, instead of having your quest say go here, then go here, then do this, then go here they give you the base quest. now if you talk to locals during that quest it could possibly change or have optional things added on, or atleast thats how i took it)

Also im a builder, every game ive played i have attempted to exceed the "popular builds" sometimes being successful and sometimes failing. this skill system is like a wet dream to me, i hope the options are there that will allow me to fully utilize this.

Because i can.

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

The fact alont that is heavy tab targetting makes me wary. Also from the footage ive seen... the combat looks "shit sliding uphill on a hot day" slow. I hoping for more videos soon... so far all ive seen is alot of slow tab targetted gun combat, lighting bolts, and every chick has their shirts tied up above their stomachs like they just stepped off the set of traier park boys.

The skill system looks cool... the world looks nice, however, most of the videos they have shown have been of "seemingly" linear, one-path-through, areas with the expection of one that I have seen.

Also, does anyone know if you can like... walk to locations... or do you have to use the "hollow earth" portal room to get from one place to another?

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"