Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't people duel?

12346»

Comments

• Four0SixFour0Six Member UncommonPosts: 1,175

Originally posted by tyrannis

Originally posted by nomss

I think out of 20+ people I find a person who would duel. It literally takes maybe a minute, actually less. But I never seem to find anyone want to duel even though we're same level.

If you don't know why this is frowned upon, and the reasons behind it  then no one here can explain it to you in any way you will understand.

+1

• InshallaInshalla Member Posts: 75

Originally posted by TheHavok

Holy crap - you guys really must not like to PvP if you have such disdain for dueling.  I mean GODDAM we got some carebears in here (just kidding lol).

Dueling is great.  Sure, those annoying assholes who spam request or gloat/cry after a match piss off everybody, but they are few and far between and everybody knows they are dicks and secretly have no friends.

Dueling is great because...

It lets you practice a pvp situation without actually having to die.  You don't have to sit around for 30 seconds waiting to be rezzed.  You don't have to worry about being instantly zerged.  You get to pvp in a controlled environment.

You should compare dueling for pvpers like athletes practicing their sports.

Dueling allows you to learn other classes' abilities.  You get to practice what happens when that Bounty Hunter pops his Energy shield or that Sniper is getting ready to burst you and you should line of sight him or her.

You get to see how close you should be to interrupt a cast or how far you should be to kite melee.  Its practice.  Sure 1v1 isn't balanced but atleast you'll learn how to react in situations and what abilities to watch for and how to counter them.

Dueling is just a tool that good pvpers use to get better.  Don't worry if you lose.  Everybody loses.  Its just part of getting better.

I generally disagree with this entire post. Though Im sure to most people it would look like good common sense, it just doesnt hold up under practice. I will step into real life for just a moment, and look at those who undergo combat training. A small fraction for any armed forces training in the world would focus on 1vs1 "duel" combat where both participants are ready and agree to fight. Its just not practical and the situation would likely never come up in any kind of armed conflict. They may spend substaintial time going over how to remove one soldier quickly and quietly, but again, this is not a "duel"

The same is also true for MMO PVP. Generally one guy is going to get the drop on another guy, in an open world PVP environment, and in PVP minigames it would focus on team based combat so again, a duel would be a useless exercise as practice. Theres too many variables in team PVP so the outcome would be entirely different.

In a duel you completely remove any kind of suprise factor from the equation. You take away the acting cool under pressure or "clutch" factor. Lets face it, some people just get staight rattled when they're suddenly attacked by another player, these dudes may be awesome in a duel but get their face ripped off when they're not ready and dont have 15 buffs going.

Anyone who doesnt learn their PVP skills in a PVP environment I dont want on my team, because they're not PVPers. They have fabricated skills that are developed in a way which removes too many intangibles from their skill set. Let them just go spam "1v1???" in the newbie area. Dont need em. Dont want em. Cant win with em.

Its interesting too that you brought up the sports analogy, because I think it fits really well. Ive seen a lot of guys who are elite duelers in PVP games who can work over pretty much anybody. These I would compare to a Lebron James type who get a lot of credit, but when the games on the line and something is at stake, they cant get it done. Then you take a Robert Horry style player who doesnt get all the accolades and the hooplah, makes a fraction of the money, but when the games on the line and you need a big shot, this is the guy you want to have the ball in his hands and take the big shot. Give me Robert Horry everytime. Thats why he's got 7 rings and Lebron has a big fat 0.

• alexhpy98721alexhpy98721 Member UncommonPosts: 264

I accept all duels including the ones from higher levels... and i ask anyone to duel once(by requesting a duel)

My guess is most people know they will lose, so they refuse... why take the ego hit when you know you will lose.

The good pvp`ers i know never dodge duels, they use it as a way to improve...

Also SWTOR has a lot of casual people playing it who click abilities or don`t use the mouse to turn or just have bad reflexes, if i were them i`d just refuse the duel too... why bother!

TLDR: The ones that don`t duel are not worth dueling.....

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907

I think out of 20+ people I find a person who would duel. It literally takes maybe a minute, actually less. But I never seem to find anyone want to duel even though we're same level.

"Why won't People Duel?"

You really don't know?

OK here is the truth of it as far as I know it. Most people don't want to PvP at all or they don't want to PvP unless it's on THEIR terms... their time, their place.

In my case I consider people that run up to me in MMOs and request to Duel as selfish obnoxious jerks. They almost never talk to me in chat first as ask if I am interested... No they just run up and hit the "DUEL" key.

Also I have almost no desire to PvP anymore and I consider Dueling as PvP. I even go out of my way to play only on PvE servers because of this. If you are on a PvE server and asking Players to Duel and getting no takers that might be the issue most of the time.

You want to invite me to a gentlemanly contest of strength and skill by asking me to Duel you? Actually talk to me first in chat... insult my mother or make a detailed analysis of how ignorant you think I am... get me upset and angry and THEN invite me to a Duel. Actually take the time to interact and talk to other Playrs before you just spam the Duel invite.

Simple as that. Try and see if that increases how many duels you get to participate in. This would have worked on me while I was playing SWTOR and when I play my other MMORPGs.

Just because I log into a MMORPG that has the Duel feature does not mean I want to duel.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

Random duel Invites are Rude.. I hate them.. Im mostly out doing something ells when some Tard wants to duel me.. I decline them the same way I do with Random Guild invites. I mostly think of random duel dudes as littlte anoying kidds standing on the streat corner bothering people..

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

Dueling: it's like having a friend just show up at your place of work and ask for a quick game of checkers in the middle of your shift.

I remember that in WoW, alliance, if you wanted to duel, you could just go outside the city and there was a regular old circle jerk going on. I hated it when morons would ask for a duel between the bank and the AH, where people are clearly running back and forth, conducting some form of personal business.

Think about where you are before asking for a duel. Time and Place, man.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Originally posted by Zeppelin4

I refuse duels because they never ask me if I want to duel. They just spam the duel window over and over again. Most of the time I'm in the middle of something and it's rude to just do a blind duel request IMHO.

Exactly. To me it's the same as random guild invites. I duel friends especially while waiting for stuff to happen (start a FP, etc.) just not the random spammers.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• dinamsdinams Member Posts: 1,362

Originally posted by alexhpy98721

I accept all duels including the ones from higher levels... and i ask anyone to duel once(by requesting a duel)

My guess is most people know they will lose, so they refuse... why take the ego hit when you know you will lose.

Also SWTOR has a lot of casual people playing it who click abilities or don`t use the mouse to turn or just have bad reflexes, if i were them i`d just refuse the duel too... why bother!

Because generally people that ask for duels are higher level jerks who want to boost their own egos

And no, being one shot by people 20 levels higher than you does not improve your l33t skillz

"It has potential"
    -Second most used phrase on existence
    "It sucks"
    -Most used phrase on existence

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

To me duels are nothing more than a way to practice Vs specific classes, this is something i would do on vent or against somone i know to be good but not with every random spammer that happens to challenge me.

I get my PvP enjoyment from matches and open world, especially GvG or organised group Vs organised group, the latter two are sadly non-existant in TOR outside of happenstance.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by Zlayer77

Random duel Invites are Rude.. I hate them.. Im mostly out doing something ells when some Tard wants to duel me.. I decline them the same way I do with Random Guild invites. I mostly think of random duel dudes as littlte anoying kidds standing on the streat corner bothering people..

The real question is why do people not use the Auto duel reject systems that are in just about every MMO I've played, especially those made after 03.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Odd. I've been playing for about 2 weeks now and I haven't had a single person challenge me to a duel so far.

Unless I'm just in the middle of a quest, I typically accept duels from people at or near my level in most MMOs, though I rarely challenge people myself.

If I lose, I bow to my opponent and go on about my business.

If I win, I bow to my opponent and go on about my business.

My sense of honor and all that. Makes it difficult for me to play a bad guy in MMOs that allow you the choice. My Bounty Hunter is so uncharactaristically goody-goody. :(

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Originally posted by alexhpy98721

I"ve never been asked to duel by any player that was even remotely my level or even close to me gear wise.

They are either magnitudes higher with absolutley Amazing gear or just many levels higher with absolutely amazing gear.

So I "highly"doubt that these  "real pvp'ers" are looking for ways to improve or looking for a good fight There is nothing that's going to improve a player by  getting one shotted or all their attacks doing no damage.

edit: I'll fight anyone who is higher level than me by a few levels and even slightly better geared. But when it's so obvious what the outcome will be then that's about something else.

Nice try though.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Distopia

Originally posted by GreenHell

Originally posted by Vesavius

Originally posted by RefMinor

Exactly this, I never duel, I only fight, if I am not going to win, I run and return when I will win.

Nothing wrong with running if your outmatched, but your another that admits they suck and won't fight at all unless it's a gank or zerg? Because that what Kyl is saying...

I think I am so out of touch lol.

I understand where he is coming from. He is not in to a pointless duel with nothing to gain or lose. He doesn't fight for just the fun of fighting he fights only if there is something to be gained. I can dig that. It is just a different mentality.

What it sounded to me like is only fighting when they know they will win, which is a different motivation than fighting to gain. I hate having those folks on my side to be perfectly honest, they're worthless when things get tough.

I think you misunderstand, I play in games where winning and losing matter, not in a duelling look at my epeen kind of way, but in a losing trade routes, or ship or gear kind of way. Knowing when to fight and when to run are a skill only learnt through combat. The worst people to have on your side in a fight are the duellists. They either run in and die or just freeze.

If it was real life who would you want alongside you, someone who has spent their time on the parade ground or a combat vet who knows how to survive.

Sounds to me that in your combat, it didn't really make a difference whether you won or lost. Ifs all about risk and reward, if you know you are going to lose why stay and die.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

I think you misunderstand, I play in games where winning and losing matter, not in a duelling look at my epeen kind of way, but in a losing trade routes, or ship or gear kind of way. Knowing when to fight and when to run are a skill only learnt through combat. The worst people to have on your side in a fight are the duellists. They either run in and die or just freeze.

If it was real life who would you want alongside you, someone who has spent their time on the parade ground or a combat vet who knows how to survive.

Sounds to me that in your combat, it didn't really make a difference whether you won or lost. Ifs all about risk and reward, if you know you are going to lose why stay and die.

Well you obviously misunderstood me, I wasn't talking about the dueling aspect at all, I was talking about people who will never expose themselves to a loss. IE: they only fight when they know the only outcome is a win, this is the worst type of ally to have, especially in a game that has real loss.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by Distopia

Well you obviously misunderstood me, I wasn't talking about the dueling aspect at all, I was talking about people who will never expose themselves to a loss. IE: they only fight when they know the only outcome is a win, this is the worst type of ally to have, especially in a game that has real loss.

They are the best people to have alongside you, people who know when to fight and when not to fight. If the loss matters you only risk that if the reward is high.
  • nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775

No surprise here. Many just want to do their PvE tasks and not engaged in PvP.

I usualy don't duel when playing other MMOs either. Personal preference.