Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Secret World: Deck Templates

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

The Secret World is going to feature one of the most complex abilities systems in any MMO to date. The dev team has partnered with MMORPG.com to unleash new information about the pre-made "deck templates" that will help players navigate the complexities. Check it out and then let us know what you think in the comments.

The Secret World does away with classes and levels to let players develop any combination of abilities they choose. They can learn any out of the five hundred found in the Ability Wheel, to create exactly the type of character they want.

This system offers great freedom and depth, but may initially seem be a bit daunting for some. For those who may want a little guidance, we have developed the deck template system.

Read more of our exclusive look at The Secret World: Deck Templates.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

Awesome!! Now give us the game :D

The Ultimate Breakdown

• todrulestodrules Member Posts: 15

Damn! I can't wait for this game! Looking good.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

I can't express how much I love this system.  It is a perfect design for a skill based system with no classes to give direction and rewards and simulate classes.  Ragnar and I see eye to eye on most of his design decisions.  Really shaping up to be a dream game on paper.  I just wish I could pre order it now.

• rpgalonrpgalon Member Posts: 430

OMG, five F****** hundred skills... I'm already lost! so many combinations...!

release the skill wheel so we can start theorycrafting!!!

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by rpgalon

Not that it will help you, because there is no theorycrafting in this game. Everything is viable, at some point in some combination or other.

Yet, those builds were only using 4 active and 5 passives and already felt complete, I don't even know how much more complex they can be with 3 more active and 2 more passive skills being added.

thank god it is just 7 active and 7 passive. 

• SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

Can't wait!!

(But I will because I must!!)

Life is Short, Read a Book.

Yet, those builds were only using 4 active and 5 passives and already felt complete, I don't even know how much more complex they can be with 3 more active and 2 more passive skills being added.

Its not about complexity, its about situation.

TSWs mobs behave and act differently and you need different skill-combinations to not get mauled. I think i explained this before.

Playing a single-target DPS + DOT deck against 2 packs of 5 zombies is completely pointless because you will get mauled.

You need to use a AOE DPS + AOE control skill-combo. Most likely shotgun+rifle or a specific Tier 3 elementalism build + shotgun.

Trying to hack them to death with a hatchet one by one is not going to work.

TSWs combat is centered around knowing your skills and knowing when to use a specific combination of them when the specific situation arises.

Don't expect to stick to one "deck" and it being "complete".

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by AdamTM

Not that it will help you, because there is no theorycrafting in this game. Everything is viable, at some point in some combination or other.

We'll see if everything is viable or not.  I'm pretty skeptical of that claim.  There might be a lot of viable combos, but everything?  We'll see.

Anyway, skill templates are good to get the creative build process going.

of course there is going to be a lot of builds that are really bad... like, why would you pick one active skill that can only be used with hammer, one with sword, one with pistols, one with claws, one with rifles, one with shotguns.... etc, if you can only use 2 weapons at the same time...

Obs: passives are always working, even if you are using a hammer and the passive you are using is from the sword tree... 

TSWs mobs behave and act differently and you need different skill-combinations to not get mauled. I think i explained this before.

Playing a single-target DPS + DOT deck against 2 packs of 5 zombies is completely pointless because you will get mauled.

You need to use a AOE DPS + AOE control skill-combo. Most likely shotgun+rifle or a specific Tier 3 elementalism build + shotgun.

TSWs combat is centered around knowing your skills and knowing when to use a specific combination of them when the specific situation arises.

those skillsets felt "complete" for their jobs assigned....

so you think making a good build for a specific job is not going to be complex?

• mudd4evermudd4ever Member Posts: 158

Very cool.  I like where this game seems to be headed.

pie.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

GW2 is so overrated. TSW on other hand looks better in every single way, Just that Funcom's bad reputation isn't giving TSW a fair chance right now. But things must change after the open beta. Anarchy Online is still my all time favorite MMO and Funcom does know how to innovate things in MMO genre.

I have lost all interest in GW2 after i read this article.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

lets see them balance this so it doesnt turn into 40 viable skills and 460 nonsense abilities. I find it hard to believe this system wont just turn into people asking for the best and nobdy experiementing, followed by the ones who experiment sharing what they learned so nobody else experiements.

I dont see funcom being able to balance a system like this, all wait and see however.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Originally posted by Shivam

GW2 is so overrated. TSW on other hand looks better in every single way, Just that Funcom's bad reputation isn't giving TSW a fair chance right now. But things must change after the open beta. Anarchy Online is still my all time favorite MMO and Funcom does know how to innovate things in MMO genre.

And the articles they wrote about age of conan sounded equally awesome. Don't be so easily swayed.

• ShivamShivam Member Posts: 465

Originally posted by nerovipus32

And the articles they wrote about age of conan sounded equally awesome. Don't be so easily swayed.

All articles about every MMOS sounds awesome before release..but if i have to be swayed i would put my money on TSW.

You must not lose faith in humanity. Humanity is an ocean; if a few drops of the ocean are dirty, the ocean does not become dirty -- Mahatma Gandhi

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

Hopefully TSW is a good game but im not stupid enough to buy it at launch..funcom have a bad track record.

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

It will be really interesting to see how many builds are viable and how many skills that get used. if they get 30 builds to work it's ok (on par with the current mmo-builds, but if they manage to get hundreds of builds to work, I think it will be a great success.

(I have tried the game for a couple of hours and I found the combat/skill system very good)

• BlackbrrdBlackbrrd Member Posts: 811

I have tried TSW for a few hours and played AoC and have seen a buddy of mine playing AO a lot. TSW reminds me of both AoC and AO. It looks like they have taken the interesting parts from both games, refined them, added some new ideas and made TSW.

Both AO and AoC had very bad technical launches. The current TSW beta is very stable - I know some guys that have played the TSW beta for 30+ hours without a lagg, disconnects or crashes. That side of it looks really good.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

ZOMG !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those skillsets felt "complete" for their jobs assigned....

so you think making a good build for a specific job is not going to be complex?

Its going to be very complex once you reach Tier 3. The further you go in a quadrant the more specific certain skills become and will require a lot of thought to put together.

A deck can only guide you to understand the mechanics.

I understand why they put them there, the whole design of the game might be too foreign for inexperienced players.

As a veteran of RPGs i don't see a problem, but i can see that newbs need this guidance to understand synergies and how the game handles skills which is very different from your "standard" WoW talent-tree

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

the skill trees do look awesome, wonder now tho about if they eliminated the gear treadmill, the global cooldown, the target/click boringness of other mmos (runs off the look up more on the interweb).

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

lets see them balance this so it doesnt turn into 40 viable skills and 460 nonsense abilities. I find it hard to believe this system wont just turn into people asking for the best and nobdy experiementing, followed by the ones who experiment sharing what they learned so nobody else experiements.

I dont see funcom being able to balance a system like this, all wait and see however.

They don't need to balance it.  Just like in Rift, because all the skills are open to all players, it balances itself.

For example, if in a regular MMO a Paladin's "Sword Smash" ability is overpowered, developers tend to either nerf Paladins or buff other classes to make them even.  In an open skill MMO, if "Sword Smash" is overpowered, then every player can pick it regardless of the spec they run, so there is no need for the traditional "balancing of classes".  

Personally, i think balance is a pretty stupid concept in the first place.  There should be a use for all kinds of characters, but they don't need to be equal in anything.

Anyhow, this system, with this knowledge sounds awesome.  Kinda like DCUO on steroids and DCUO has some awesome combat. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by itgrowls

the skill trees do look awesome, wonder now tho about if they eliminated the gear treadmill, the global cooldown, the target/click boringness of other mmos (runs off the look up more on the interweb).

improving one's gear is one of the pillars of RPGs, i certainly hope it's not eliminated and doubt that it is.

neither of FC's MMOs used the retarded global cooldown concept, so i certainly hope they didn't start now.  Would be good to get a confirm though.

i'm pretty sure clicking and targeting will be part of MMOs for a while, although in AoC you didn't really need to target anything specific... so who knows.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380

Not that it will help you, because there is no theorycrafting in this game. 

Dood, you really need to lay off the Failcom kool-aid. There will be cookie cutter builds, them being specialized for certain areas of the game doesn't make them any less so.

• HubertiiHubertii Member Posts: 2

Make sure you'll check our Skill Wheel Simulator offten! We're updating data constantly!

The Secret Wordl Skill Wheel / Skill Hive simulator