Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mortal online just like Ultima online/eve online.

LustienLustien Member Posts: 32

Mortal Online is steadly getting better and better, it population slowly growing, the game is getting more and more stable with each patch. Kinda reminds me of UO and eve online, they both had really hard launches.

Mortal Online is not going anywhere anytime soon and it going to get better and bettter. I can't wait till the new expansion comes out which will open up the game to the PVE market.

Don't you guys just think mortal online is one of those games? those hidden gems that will just eventually explode and change how MMO's are done.

I think mortal online may have enough influence in the future to change people perpesective on sandboxes and mmos in general.

The market could have gone down 2 routes, the UO route or the Everquest route. Currently there is a lack of UO type games, but a abundance of Everquest type games.

There are people here who have hope in SV!

Comments

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Report back when it's fully stable :)

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190

Heh.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

While I don't find Mortal Online to be anything remotely like UO or EVE Online, I am a strong believer in the 'slow burn' strategy for the more sandbox-focused MMOs, so I'm just watching this title from the sidelines to see where it goes. It's off to a really slow start, though, as UO had more content at release in 1997 than Mortal Online has now after a year and a half of operation.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• LustienLustien Member Posts: 32

Originally posted by Loktofeit

While I don't find Mortal Online to be anything remotely like UO or EVE Online, I am a strong believer in the 'slow burn' strategy for the more sandbox-focused MMOs, so I'm just watching this title from the sidelines to see where it goes. It's off to a really slow start, though, as UO had more content at release in 1997 than Mortal Online has now after a year and a half of operation.

Games back then only required 2 people :P I think that one of the biggest reasons why we have a lack of UO 3D games. It such a task to take on.

Why is it that 12 or  more years down the line, there has been no major succussful mmo like UO that has been bought to the market till mortal online.

Like we can just tell by mortal online issues in the past, that it a hard task to take upon oneself unless backed by a huge amount of funds. Mortal online doesn't have such funds and that one of the major reasons why they have slow development.

The thing about that is usually the company just folds like earthrise developers for instance, but here we have starvault, duking it out no matter how bad it gets and it really did get bad, real bad, the population was near non existant, but the game is alive now due to svs efforts and not giving up when times got tough and hopefully awakening will be that last part the game needs. Sure it could have taken 2 years and half for them to get there, but we can now see the sliver lining. With the AI patch, the population should explode > money > faster development which is a win win situation!

I just hope other AAA developers look at SV/eve online/UO and take it upon themselves to risk doing something like this.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273

Problem with MO is that it's fundamentally flawed, technically. It's empty and hollow - and times have changed.

The future is not a sandbox with minimal tools and almost no content. As much as we all like to support the underdog, there has to be more than that.

I've tried this game several times, and it's really, really, really awful. Maybe it changed in the last 3 months? Not sure.

The future is about evolution, not throwbacks to ancient times.

If you want to check out something that could POTENTIALLY change the genre, look towards ArcheAge for a sandbox/themepark hybrid.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Originally posted by Lustien

Mortal Online is steadly getting better and better, it population slowly growing, the game is getting more and more stable with each patch. Kinda reminds me of UO and eve online, they both had really hard launches.

Mortal Online is not going anywhere anytime soon and it going to get better and bettter. I can't wait till the new expansion comes out which will open up the game to the PVE market.

Don't you guys just think mortal online is one of those games? those hidden gems that will just eventually explode and change how MMO's are done.

I think mortal online may have enough influence in the future to change people perpesective on sandboxes and mmos in general.

The market could have gone down 2 routes, the UO route or the Everquest route. Currently there is a lack of UO type games, but a abundance of Everquest type games.

No lol

I agree MO is going nowhere fast. One day if they keep going they may hit a release worthy state though.

Not a chance. As of now MO is little more than a foot note and used more as a cautionary tale than anything. The only influence MO may have on the future of sandboxes and mmo's in general is to increase the negative stigma's surrounding them.

I hope not, SV hasn't given anyone any reason to put any faith or "hope" in them. They make mistakes at every turn, deny those mistakes and refuse to offer any kind of adequate compensation. They "encourage" fans to come on to other forums and out right lie, the fans I must say may not know they are lying at the time since SV is constantly lying to them and everyone else.

Worst of all may be the fact that many new posters and accounts giving rave reviews about SV and or MO tend to not be legit gamers/consumers. Many even suffer from the same language barrier issues that GMThea and Henrik claim to suffer from such as saying something like "I have Hope in SV" instead of "I have Faith in SV".

• Excalaber2Excalaber2 Member UncommonPosts: 360

To the OP:

Ok there are two ways to look at this.  

1) MO is changing the genre for the good since they are using a UO mentality / sandbox environment and making a gem of a game.  This gem of a game can explode one day attracting huge population.

2) MO is changing the genre for bad since they HAD potential and great ideas, but failed in implementation.  The company SV was just an embarassment to the MMO industry with some of it's tactics.  This puts a "Black mark" on sandboxes and allows all of the sandbox "haters" to simply say "See?  Another small team with inexperience fail at a sandbox".

Unfortunately, I think it's turning out to be the latter.  Basically what I'm saying is "MO gives sandboxes a bad name.".  Opposite of what you are saying.  The other very unfortunate fact is that when I played MO I noticed everytime "things seem more stable", it always ended up being because less and less players had to be loaded in certain areas.  So, if it ever did "blow up" into huge populations, I sincerely doubt the game could handle it.

I'd like to disclaim here that I did thoughroughly enjoy the promise of MO at the beginning.  I just couldn't stand being lied to over and over again and the bugs with every patch were difficult to bear.  Last but not least, the inexperience of the programmers.  I am a software developer by trade and I know exactly what was going on.  It was unfortunately lazy programming.  When you don't "understand" the industry tried and tested methods of implementing something, you tend to go off on this tangeant that needs to be re-written later.  Not good.

I just want to conclude that I'm glad a game like MO did surface, but I'm very sad that it was brought fourth by a company that had fishy tactics to say the least.  

Mods, please note:  I am not saying or agreeing with "See?  Another small team with inexperience fail at a sandbox".

Disclaimer: This is not a troll post and is not here to promote any negative energy. Although this may be a criticism, it is not meant to offend anyone. If a moderator feels the post is inappropriate, please remove it immediately before it is subject to consideration for a warning. Thank you.

Originally posted by Excalaber2

To the OP:

1) MO is changing the genre for the good since they are using a UO mentality / sandbox environment and making a gem of a game.  This gem of a game can explode one day attracting huge population.

2) MO is changing the genre for bad since they HAD potential and great ideas, but failed in implementation.  The company SV was just an embarassment to the MMO industry with some of it's tactics.  This puts a "Black mark" on sandboxes and allows all of the sandbox "haters" to simply say "See?  Another small team with inexperience fail at a sandbox".

Unfortunately, I think it's turning out to be the latter.  Basically what I'm saying is "MO gives sandboxes a bad name.".  Opposite of what you are saying.  The other very unfortunate fact is that when I played MO I noticed everytime "things seem more stable", it always ended up being because less and less players had to be loaded in certain areas.  So, if it ever did "blow up" into huge populations, I sincerely doubt the game could handle it.

I'd like to disclaim here that I did thoughroughly enjoy the promise of MO at the beginning.  I just couldn't stand being lied to over and over again and the bugs with every patch were difficult to bear.  Last but not least, the inexperience of the programmers.  I am a software developer by trade and I know exactly what was going on.  It was unfortunately lazy programming.  When you don't "understand" the industry tried and tested methods of implementing something, you tend to go off on this tangeant that needs to be re-written later.  Not good.

I just want to conclude that I'm glad a game like MO did surface, but I'm very sad that it was brought fourth by a company that had fishy tactics to say the least.  

Mods, please note:  I am not saying or agreeing with "See?  Another small team with inexperience fail at a sandbox".

The population is quite high. Towns are quite nicely populated. in the past, when the game got highly populated it would get unstable, but that bar has been pushed quite high now.  It still needs improvements, but the server was the biggest issue, the server does not crash like it did in the past. it has a few restarts a day - mainly to fix the mobs - awakening will fix this.

To be honest. I don't see how mortal online is going to fail.

It released 2 early due to lack of funds. it been able to keep afloat. it has not advertised. the developers do not want to advertise till the game is in a stable state.

Everyone who paid or paying for the game well knows this. those who jump the gun without any prior knowledge of the game can only laugh at themselves.

You say fishy company but the company has not even advertised "like darkfall" cough cough....so I don't see how fishy a company like sv is, when all it does, is keep in close contact with its existing population. its not like they go out of their way to get people in the game. They just slowly improving the game. It their only choice. their game has so much potential because its endless in its roadmap, it can go anywhere, these type of games, people want this and that.

Being a small development team, they can't get everything in place, sometimes shit happens, this is the case with sv, one way or another they get sidetracked by a issue, feature gets delayed, most of the time, it because they need something for something, but here htey are, slowly ironing them out, getting over those obstacles, now they can finally add in the AI, the AI guards, the dungeons and everything.

The game is only empty because its a shell. they been waiting to fill the world up with all that content we seen gimpses off. Town life/ minatours, trollls, the flying chicken with balls on his head, the rat men using weapons/ dragons/ demons/ tindrem (capital city) etc

You talk as if its a dying game. darkfall is  a dying game, mortal online is a game with a future.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Unlike UO and even EVE, MO suffers from severe underfunding, and I'm not sure they can work past that.

Couple that with what appears to be some fatal design flaws in the core engine and I'm not sure they can go down the same path.

Now I haven't paid much attention to it lately, but are they considering any way for the more PVE minded player to minimize their level of risk in the game? (a la EVE's empire space regions?)

If not, they'll never really drag the more carebearish of us into the world and without us as prey, the wolves won't have much interest either.  image

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Originally posted by Kyleran

Unlike UO and even EVE, MO suffers from severe underfunding, and I'm not sure they can work past that.

Couple that with what appears to be some fatal design flaws in the core engine and I'm not sure they can go down the same path.

Now I haven't paid much attention to it lately, but are they considering any way for the more PVE minded player to minimize their level of risk in the game? (a la EVE's empire space regions?)

If not, they'll never really drag the more carebearish of us into the world and without us as prey, the wolves won't have much interest either.  image

I do agree that he wolve population is quite high. Awakening aims to change this. By bringing in more of a sheep population. You guys will be able to fight off the players. Also AI guards will hopefully make it, which means that most pvpers would be trying to raid towns i guess, while the sheep defend it in mass. Also you be able to make money from holding towns. I think tindrem in it self may have a dungoen within it walls or something like that. the sewers. But from my understanding htere will be many more dungeons and stuff in the game, but hopefully the sheep population and AI patch will lower the pk population or keep it under control, or force it into exile lol. PVP is currently the only thing to do but if they fix the AI to be really interactive and cool. No more will their be instant wack guards, but no more will the whole population be focused on pvp.

I used to be a anti pker/ but now i have turned 100% pker or really pvper to be honest, but the new AI will hopefully give me more reason to log in and actually kill something that is fun to kill instead of chopping some naked guys head off.

instead of logging in to go kill people, I will log in to go fight a minotaur or a troll or some really cool mob. if you watch thier alpha video, you see the troll picking players up, biting heads off, smashing them on the ground. Also the AI will cary weapons, like hte minotuar will charge at you, knock you in the air, swing its big axe. the AI is really advanced, it will react to the players stance. So if you are 2 far away, it will attack you with range, if it can't attack it will run stuff like that, you seen a less advanced AI like that in darkfall, MO has the unreal engine, which has some really cool AI stuff, which gives it that advantage, so actually teh unreal engine pro is the AI in itself in that sense. the engine is not the limitation, its just getting to that point of balance, which is hard with the lack of funds.

Truthfully, if they would institute a Shadowbane style of looting system (where I get to keep the items I'm wearing, but my backpack falls to the ground (including gold) and a means to recover my corpse w/o being camped mercilessly I'd be more than willing to give the game a try.

But that might not acceptable to the core audiance, and if so, no reason for them to change it to accomodate a person like me.

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

To the OP:

The population is quite high. Towns are quite nicely populated. in the past, when the game got highly populated it would get unstable, but that bar has been pushed quite high now.  It still needs improvements, but the server was the biggest issue, the server does not crash like it did in the past. it has a few restarts a day - mainly to fix the mobs - awakening will fix this.

The servers stopped crashing because people quit playing. The financials reflect this, the comments from those doing the trials reflect this, the comments from the majority of the player base reflects this (Not the few that post here), the small attendence at GM run events reflects this. Every concievable source of evidence says the player base is shrinking. Servers have become more stable because of this........ congratz I guess.....

MO has already failed, it's been almost 2 years and they have yet to even break even. They have failed at making any kind of noticable penetration into the market. They have failed to garner much if any kind of support from the gaming community. Mortal Online has failed in every concievable way, the only thing it hasn't done yet is close down. The term "dead man walking" comes to mind.

It released 2 early due to lack of funds. it been able to keep afloat. it has not advertised. the developers do not want to advertise till the game is in a stable state.

Everyone who paid or paying for the game well knows this. those who jump the gun without any prior knowledge of the game can only laugh at themselves.

Yes... those people that you go around telling "MO's getting better, Player Base is on the rise! Games running much better" etc. are at fault for not having prior knowledge?

You say fishy company but the company has not even advertised "like darkfall" cough cough....so I don't see how fishy a company like sv is, when all it does, is keep in close contact with its existing population. its not like they go out of their way to get people in the game. They just slowly improving the game. It their only choice. their game has so much potential because its endless in its roadmap, it can go anywhere, these type of games, people want this and that.

Really? They don't send employees to sites like MMORPG.com? They don't ask fans to spread the word and counter the trolls? They really haven't gone out of their way to try and entice people to join on this site and the other major MMO gaming sites? Do we need to bring up the post links again?

Being a small development team, they can't get everything in place, sometimes shit happens, this is the case with sv, one way or another they get sidetracked by a issue, feature gets delayed, most of the time, it because they need something for something, but here htey are, slowly ironing them out, getting over those obstacles, now they can finally add in the AI, the AI guards, the dungeons and everything.

The game is only empty because its a shell. they been waiting to fill the world up with all that content we seen gimpses off. Town life/ minatours, trollls, the flying chicken with balls on his head, the rat men using weapons/ dragons/ demons/ tindrem (capital city) etc

You talk as if its a dying game. darkfall is  a dying game, mortal online is a game with a future.

If DarkFall is a dying game and works better and has more players than MO, how do you go on to state that MO has a future? DFO has a bigger team, bigger budget and a larger fan base............. I don't even enjoy DFO anymore lol. It has its issues but nothing like MO. DFO's biggest problems are design decisions. MOs problems run the full gambit.

Truthfully, if they would institute a Shadowbane style of looting system (where I get to keep the items I'm wearing, but my backpack falls to the ground (including gold) and a means to recover my corpse w/o being camped mercilessly I'd be more than willing to give the game a try.

But that might not acceptable to the core audiance, and if so, no reason for them to change it to accomodate a person like me.

I see what your saying, but Mortal online is one the extreme part of the spectum. its all about high risk vs reward, that what it gameplay core is about. nothing  to really say about that.

To be honest, it not like world of warcraft, where gear is so important, gear in mortal online is not important and its easy to make, there are some high tier metals and stuff, that are hard to get, but the average joe armour is easily obtainable.

I see what your saying, but Mortal online is one the extreme part of the spectum. its all about high risk vs reward, that what it gameplay core is about. nothing  to really say about that.

To be honest, it not like world of warcraft, where gear is so important, gear in mortal online is not important and its easy to make, there are some high tier metals and stuff, that are hard to get, but the average joe armour is easily obtainable.

Yes, but I am very fond of my pixels and prefer having a better than even chance of retaining them.  (hence why I enjoyed playing titles like SB and EVE)

But that's OK, I realize not every game can cater to my tastes. (well, not really,  why can't they, after all, I'm all that matters, right?) image

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

That is a hell of a disingenuous title, or are we saying every game that has a piss poor start and manages to cling on for dear life is "just like" UO and EVE?

For me, there is nothing at all to point to MO ever doing well, ever being run well, or ever being anything at all like UO or EVE in their pomp.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

Originally posted by GrayGhost79

To the OP:

The servers stopped crashing because people quit playing. The financials reflect this, the comments from those doing the trials reflect this, the comments from the majority of the player base reflects this (Not the few that post here), the small attendence at GM run events reflects this. Every concievable source of evidence says the player base is shrinking. Servers have become more stable because of this........ congratz I guess.....

SO WHY ARE THE SERVERS NOT CRASHING NOW?

MO has already failed, it's been almost 2 years and they have yet to even break even. They have failed at making any kind of noticable penetration into the market. They have failed to garner much if any kind of support from the gaming community. Mortal Online has failed in every concievable way, the only thing it hasn't done yet is close down. The term "dead man walking" comes to mind.

just seems like a hate post to me, the game is still running, its not going anyway, it may feel like its failed for you but for others it got a very bright future.

Yes... those people that you go around telling "MO's getting better, Player Base is on the rise! Games running much better" etc. are at fault for not having prior knowledge?

its not like you see mortal online running on TV or on mmorpg.com as a background poster?plus there are trial accounts for a reason.

Really? They don't send employees to sites like MMORPG.com? They don't ask fans to spread the word and counter the trolls? They really haven't gone out of their way to try and entice people to join on this site and the other major MMO gaming sites? Do we need to bring up the post links again?

this is funny. A game master comes over here to answer your questions  because he wanted 2, he was given permission by the developers to come over here as a representive to answer peoples questions in here due to the mortal online community always raising concerns about a few individuals making accounts on here all the time taking everything out of context and spinning lies and lies about the game and its development team.

If DarkFall is a dying game and works better and has more players than MO, how do you go on to state that MO has a future? DFO has a bigger team, bigger budget and a larger fan base............. I don't even enjoy DFO anymore lol. It has its issues but nothing like MO. DFO's biggest problems are design decisions. MOs problems run the full gambit.

i think it safer to say that mortal online has a higher population right now then darkfall lol.

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Spoiler, they both launched a damn while ago. I hope tech progressed further, rather than remaining at same stale point resulting in games launching in crap alpha state. If a game has to release in a same state as a 2D title twelve years earlier, it is a very poor sign.

No, since the design decisions and features of MO were and are shit. Unless they change the one in charge of game design nothing will happen.

That is something we both agree on, MO will certainly change how people perceive sandboxes, in a negative way, becoming an example of how not to design a sandbox.

i think it safer to say that mortal online has a higher population right now then darkfall lol.

Mortal online forums, currently active users: 43

Darkfall online forums, currently active users: 61

Not the best proof, yet at least it is some proof. Do you have anything except for yor completely random guess based on gut feeling?

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I wish the OP's words were true for me.

I've tried MO several times now and it never engages or immerses me, it always has horrible performance issues as well.

There are so many better options out there in my opinion. Xsyon, Wurm, UO, Eve and even Darkfall. My hopes were high for MO but it simply falls short in almost every way, every time i try to get into it.

Originally posted by Toferio

Spoiler, they both launched a damn while ago. I hope tech progressed further, rather than remaining at same stale point resulting in games launching in crap alpha state. If a game has to release in a same state as a 2D title twelve years earlier, it is a very poor sign.

No, since the design decisions and features of MO were and are shit. Unless they change the one in charge of game design nothing will happen.

That is something we both agree on, MO will certainly change how people perceive sandboxes, in a negative way, becoming an example of how not to design a sandbox.

Not the best proof, yet at least it is some proof. Do you have anything except for yor completely random guess based on gut feeling?

I think meduli right now  has a higher population then the entire darkfall population.

To those who tried it and not liked it. I understand your pain. Please try it again when awakening comes out. the game offers trial accounts.

I just really want to see more people play this game. it really be much better with more people playing it. so don't try it now, wait a few months till awakening comes out and see if your opinion changes.

also mortal online users on forums is actually 196

I'm just a fanboy discussing the game i love. 2 many haters in here. these forums need some loving.

• kakasakikakasaki Member UncommonPosts: 1,205

I'm just a fanboy discussing the game i love. 2 many haters in here. these forums need some loving.

No harm in that but don't be offended when people have different views. Why do MO fans always get so offended when people disagree?

As to MO being like EvE: To paraphrase Senator Bentsen:

"Sir, I have played EvE, I know EvE and consider EvE a friend, MO is nothing like EvE." 

A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true...

• ToferioToferio Member UncommonPosts: 1,411

Originally posted by Toferio

I think meduli right now  has a higher population then the entire darkfall population.

also mortal online users on forums is actually 196

Again, that is only your gut feeling, without any, even most approximate proof. I am not a fan of DF, I don't even play the game, but it would be extremely biased to claim one of MOs town has more population than an entire game.

When I counted the forum users, I only counted registered members, since the "guests" you counted are usually bots and spammers, the majority of them. But let's do it your way:

MO forums- 203 (50 members and 153 guests)

DF forums- 347 (80 members and 267 guests)

DF seems to lead either way, making your claim about a mere town of MO having more population than DF rather.. questionable.

You are also incorrect claiming the server is now stable, the official server status thread begs to differnt:

http://www.mortalonline.com/forums/47651-server-status-105.html

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

This is one of those titles I want to succeed and I'd love to buy the game but nothing in the history about MO says it's got a decent future. If they haven't been able to fix the stability issues by now, they most likely never will. What a shame.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

There are clans in DF that have played since launch, and still retain a base of over 25 members who all play daily.

The DF political map is more than enough evidence of the activity taking place every day. There is no way in hell that MO has more players than DF.

MO still has severely broken core features after all this time, they can't even get the basics down.

This seems like a misguided attempt to try and con people into trying the game, using misinformation and outright fabrications of the facts.

Trying to say that MO is even remotely similar to UO is, frankly, insulting. UO had more going for it in the late 90s than MO ever has had since it's inception. The only thing they have in common is the sandbox designation.

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

Darkfall's in a slump right now due to the incoming wipes for 2.0....

Whats Mortals excuse?....

Even at DF's lowest point its still more active than Mortal...

2.0 needs to hurry up already...I been noticing these MO crusaders constantly trying to kick DF while its down by making these rediculous claims about populations and comparing MO to DF...Please stop,There is no comparison.