Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Easy TERA and clunky combat.

PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

This has been the number one issue i've read from people and I want to make a post saying give the game a chance. Atleast get to level 18 to learn your combo chains and get a few skills before you can it clunky. Also get to level 18 to fight BAMs to see it's not all fun and games, it actually gets quite challenging. So during the BETA before you come on here and make comments about the games being clunky or the monsters being easy atleast give it until you fight Kumas, Ariakas, Naga's and Basilisks(although they are easy).

I leveled on BAMs yesterday in the test, from level 17-21. Here's some screenshots I got, we did have two group wipes actually lol. BAMs are also soloable but we were two levels lower than them mostly so it was too difficult to do alone.

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Those centaur guys have a sidestep, tail swipe, two frontal swipes, fireball throw, triple criss crossing jump, AOE ground stomp, triple forward punch and a 180 degree attack, they can also become enraged incresing movement speed and attack power. What other open world MMO deliveres a monster with that many mechanics at level 20?

I'm mainly just posting this to show my pictures but I might aswell give some information too, I don't mind if you don't like the game but atleast give it a chance before calling it easy or boring. Early levels are never an indicator, when was killing kobolds, boars, and other nonsense in Rift and WoW fun and challenging lol.

Comments

• BenjolaBenjola Member UncommonPosts: 843

I'm not a huge fan of fast leveling and easy to solo mobs at any level in the process.

I'm also not a fan of long leveling grinds and mobs that take 5min to take down.

Balance is needed of course but it looks like Bluehole opted for Ez-mode for their western client ( I guess they know their average western gamer mindset heh)

I care about your gaming 'problems' and teenage anxieties, just not today.

• JayFiveAliveJayFiveAlive Member UncommonPosts: 601

Originally posted by Benjola

I'm not a huge fan of fast leveling and easy to solo mobs at any level in the process.

I'm also not a fan of long leveling grinds and mobs that take 5min to take down.

Balance is needed of course but it looks like Bluehole opted for Ez-mode for their western client ( I guess they know their average western gamer mindset heh)

From the sound of it, level has been fast in Korea as well. I personally would much rather have a long grind than quests, but I don't expect TERA to change much of the MMO mold. I am excited for the combat and hopefully the excellent PvP.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

You don't like easy mobs and you don't like hard mobs is basically what you are saying...

Them taking five minutes to kill is what makes it challenging, you can't make a mistake in that time or else you'll be in trouble. I would hate for BAMs to take like one minute, where's the challenge in that. 

But I guess it's all personal opinion.

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I found a lot of challange in simply ignoring the quest chains and taking on mobs much higher than me, the higher you get the more your skill comes in to play, but it does take awhile, as the mechanics are shown to you one at  a time. I remember when i first saw a mob sidestep, and I realised that the moves i could use to avoid telegraphed attacks, they could use too, I was really impressed.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

Fast leveling and easy mobs are the only reasons I'm not going to play this game. I guess I'm with the minority then..

Originally posted by deniter

Fast leveling and easy mobs are the only reasons I'm not going to play this game. I guess I'm with the minority then..

You clearly did not even read my post...

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402

The MMo trend has been to make game easier, do you know why, because hard core gamers are dying, player skill is deteriorating, and they prefer to just say they made it to end game, they could give a fuck about earning it.

Look at swtor, a leveling curve so fast that youhad to skip quests chains just so you wouldnt outlevel the content, forget doing dungeons if you even did the bonus series the next planet would be 90% greyed out to you. Its all a joke, i seriously miss the days of eq 1 and lineage 2 when it actually took 2 or 3 months to hit max level, not 2 or 3 days.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• AlotAlot Member Posts: 1,948

Originally posted by DeserttFoxx

Look at swtor, a leveling curve so fast that youhad to skip quests chains just so you wouldnt outlevel the content, forget doing dungeons if you even did the bonus series the next planet would be 90% greyed out to you. Its all a joke, i seriously miss the days of eq 1 and lineage 2 when it actually took 2 or 3 months to hit max level, not 2 or 3 days.

Exaggeration. If you skip heroic quests you'll most likely have to grind in order to not end up underlevelled.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,429

Originally posted by Pivotelite

Originally posted by deniter

You clearly did not even read my post...

I did. If your leveling speed is too fast, the mobs you need to kill for your quests are always too low to be challenging. Of course you can find higher mobs for more challenge, but then again, I can use subpar gear to get the needed challenge.

I do like to play MMORPGs for several months, and not be even close to level cap during this time.

• paterahpaterah Member UncommonPosts: 578

Originally posted by Alot

Exaggeration. If you skip heroic quests you'll most likely have to grind in order to not end up underlevelled.

This is a complete lie, I never did any heroic quests since they were all repeatable and quickly overleveled many quests and had to even skip a planet early on except the story quests that you had to do there (Nar Shadaa). I also only did one flashpoint run.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

The MMo trend has been to make game easier, do you know why, because hard core gamers are dying, player skill is deteriorating, and they prefer to just say they made it to end game, they could give a fuck about earning it.

Holy crap you hit level cap in EQ in 2 months!??!  That's some hardcore gaming hours put in.  It took me a year +.

I'm hoping Tera is not a level to max in a few weeks type of game.  Still on the fence on this title though.  Hopefully they will reschedule that sneak peak for sometime soon.

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200

Originally posted by Alot

However, there are more quests than just heroic quests.  I found that once I got to Taris that most of the quests were green and grayed out quickly.  This trend continued when I went to Nar Shadaa after.  I did not even repeat the Heroics and did only two FPs after the Esseles in my teens and twenties.  I did do the daily PvP challenges but that was it aside from the planet quests.  SWTOR does have fast leveling.

On-topic: I did not find the leveling in TERA to be too fast.  Granted that I only reached level 9 yesterday due to RL matters that take up my evening but I found the game fairly smooth as an Archer.

You get the quest to kill that level 22 Naga at level 22 and the level 24 one at level 22 if you kill a regular one.

I would be surprised if you could solo them. It's not that easy, just the beginning level are like every other MMO which turns people off. :[

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

I wasn't really following the game but decided to pre-order it.   This isn't really a game *I* would normally play.. that said..

I don't find the combat clunky.   Its a bit different than I am used to.   However, I have been playing Kingdoms of Amalur which is a bit different for me as well.  

So last night during the dress rehersal the Warrior felt really familiar.   With the more "active" combat and rolling etc.. *edit* (this was why I mentioned KoA).  *end edit*

The only "odd" thing I find at least having never played is how ranged classes are.   It just feels like you have to be really close and to me that's counter-intuitive to what I think of when I think of ranged.  I really enjoyed playing an Archer even tho it was somewhat different for me.   That first multi target ability you get at I think level 3?  was fun.

At least it seems that you have to be at 19 to 20 meters... I think it was 19 but right around there.  

I'm not saying its bad...   I mean *cough* I just remember the days in DAoC before they changed archery and being on top of a level 10 tower your range was ... LOL... 

SWTOR isn’t too bad compared to say...WoW, where with some dungeons and pvp you can skip ever other zone. I would like more grind in TERA, might as well focus on combat more than the npc interactions, as that is where the innovation is.

As to ranged in TERA, I guess if you could hit them from too far away it would take a lot of the strategy out of it, as so much combat is looking at the mob for its main move, and dodging. My sorc usually has to get within 15m, 10 for my usual opening move.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Originally posted by zevni78

SWTOR isn’t too bad compared to say...WoW, where with some dungeons and pvp you can skip ever other zone. I would like more grind in TERA, might as well focus on combat more than the npc interactions, as that is where the innovation is.

As to ranged in TERA, I guess if you could hit them from too far away it would take a lot of the strategy out of it, as so much combat is looking at the mob for its main move, and dodging. My sorc usually has to get within 15m, 10 for my usual opening move.

You can do that in TOR too.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316

man i'm looking at this picture and if you remove the UI it's World of Warcraft.  Do i want to play YET another WOW clone ?  Hell NO.

Fast leveling proccess in a MMORPG  points toward only one thing: Devs didn't make enough quests.

So imo, it's not like devs had much choice in the matter, they are restricted by the content put in.

Of course they can just do an AION and let people mob- grind half of their leveling time to prolong the journy toward level cap but it's well known by now that systems like that don't fly with westerners, mostly due to the 'short and easy mode' trend that WoW started 7 years ago and followed by all the clones all the way to ToR.

Devs do have a choice when it comes to how challenging the content will be though, no matter how short the journy to cap is.

This is also very easy to tweak and fine-tune so if you can faceroll content it means that devs intended it that way, they figured that's what the majority of their target audence preffers.

One more thing on a fast leveling process.

Both PVPers and PVEers are generally okay with it as long as there is enough and most importantly interesting content with high replay value for their play style at level cap, and that's something that no new MMO has ever delivered at launch.

On the other hand, Tera isn't new so maybe they can pull it off, we'll see.

• Jimmy562Jimmy562 Member UncommonPosts: 1,158

Originally posted by Mardukk

Holy crap you hit level cap in EQ in 2 months!??!  That's some hardcore gaming hours put in.  It took me a year +.

I'm hoping Tera is not a level to max in a few weeks type of game.  Still on the fence on this title though.  Hopefully they will reschedule that sneak peak for sometime soon.

Why does leveling speed matter exactly? Long as the endgame is decent whats wrong with taking a couple of weeks to get to max level?

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Originally posted by Kaynos1972

man i'm looking at this picture and if you remove the UI it's World of Warcraft.  Do i want to play YET another WOW clone ?  Hell NO.

You can strap any MMO past and present with such blatand and ignorant generalisations. All MMOs share certain qualities, it's called evolution of the genre and people expect certain things that worked in previous incarnations to find their seat in the future MMOs. Beyond that, it's the differences that make or break the newer MMOs. And Tera's combat is nothing like WoW's for example.

Besides, even WoW is nothing like its vanilla incarnation and the game is shifting direction with every expansion.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Originally posted by Jimmy562

Originally posted by Mardukk

Why does leveling speed matter exactly? Long as the endgame is decent whats wrong with taking a couple of weeks to get to max level?

So I don't have to go find another game to play every month or two.  It would be nice to stick with a game a year at a time or more.

• cribettcribett Member UncommonPosts: 135

Your right its a WoW clone stay well clear please . Thanks

Comon guys, don't be lazy and quote walls of text with post content of 5 posters just to comment on one sentence of the last poster in the chain...

This site has the most annoying quote system.

Here's a tip:

Click on quote then delete the unneeded text inside the quote, leave the name of the poster and the sentence/post  you are replying to...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

• CripnoahCripnoah Member Posts: 128

you could say that about every third person perspective game then, every game out there is world of warcraft.

Comon guys, don't be lazy and quote walls of text with post content of 5 posters just to comment on one sentence of the last poster in the chain...

This site has the most annoying quote system.

Here's a tip:

Click on quote then delete the unneeded text inside the quote, leave the name of the poster and the sentence/post  you are replying to...

YOU CAN DO IT!!!

yep