Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Analysis Plus Comparison Screenshots for HD DLC by Bethesda for Skyrim

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

Comments

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

Folks over at Skyrim Nexus are saying the texture pack is replacing the vanilla 512pix textures with 1024 ones.  The Skyrim HD mod textures are either 2K or 4K.  The difference in download size between Bethesda's and Skyrim HD (3GB vs 1.9GB) is Bethesda replaced all the textures and Skyrim HD only did certain ones.  

How do they look compared to each other?  I guess that's in the eye of the beholder.

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

The HD DLC is so-so, IMO.  I guess it's great for the scope it encompasses, but the improvements are minimal, IMO.  I noticed no "Ooh, this looks nice" moments compared to when I installed the Skyrim HD - 2k Textures Mod (for some reason, the mod author set the mod to "hidden" on the nexus site).

However, it is free, so it's all good.  It'll act as a nice little baseline for the future.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Yeah it's free, and thank God for that. I could only imagine the uproar if they charged $5 for this, lol.

Originally posted by KhinRunite

Yeah it's free, and thank God for that. I could only imagine the uproar if they charged $5 for this, lol.

Ha, not as bad as some low-rumbling rumors of EA / DICE thinking about adopting a "COD Elite Subscription" type of service for BF3.  That's brewing in the background.  Without getting too deep into it and overly dramatic, that's a deal breaker for me.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

Here's an article from IGN: http://pc.ign.com/articles/121/1218176p1.html

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Now i wonder if this game is fully DX11 upgradable in near future through a mod?

If thats posible then game realy will shine graphics wise all who have a decent DX11 rig.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329

Originally posted by Warmaker

The HD DLC is so-so, IMO.  I guess it's great for the scope it encompasses, but the improvements are minimal, IMO.  I noticed no "Ooh, this looks nice" moments compared to when I installed the Skyrim HD - 2k Textures Mod (for some reason, the mod author set the mod to "hidden" on the nexus site)

Yeah, what's up with that?  I downloaded the Skyrim HD mod last night after looking at the comparison photos.  And when I went back to the Nexus to read up on some performance tips it was hidden.  Glad I got it when I did.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Ha, not as bad as some low-rumbling rumors of EA / DICE thinking about adopting a "COD Elite Subscription" type of service for BF3.  That's brewing in the background.  Without getting too deep into it and overly dramatic, that's a deal breaker for me.

So having a pretty nice and useful resource for your game is a bad thing?

Ive used a free Elite, and its really nice, and has alot of useful info in it, people will always bitch about everything.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• Lille7Lille7 Member Posts: 301

This is alot better then the SkyrimHD 2k texture mods. Alot of the textures in that mod are just terrible, sure they are highres, but they are very messy. They just crammed as much detail in there as they possibly could, making the textures look really bad. Look at the stone stairs in Whiterun as an example.

For me the best part of this bethesda pack is the clothes upgrade http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v681/Reise/highres.jpg

Looks great :)

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

Keep in mind, this texture pack will also "possibly" interfere with other mods if they use those textures. More so with body mods (which would get replaced by the texture pack) or mods that alter equipment textures.

This way is also good if you want to use texture mods+this one to go along with it

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/554730-the-creation-kit-is-live/page__st__320

Scroll down to Outlander's post and then you'll be able to use HD and any mod that uses textures. Though, the mod textures will override the HD textures by Bethesda by doing that, if both share the same textures. So, keep that in mind.

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Member Posts: 263

The easier way is to add the HD bsa files to the default bsa list in the ini... from what I hear you dont have to click the ESPs anymore.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by forest-nl
    Now i wonder if this game is fully DX11 upgradable in near future through a mod?If thats posible then game realy will shine graphics wise all who have a decent DX11 rig.

No, it is not. The game is and always will be DX9...

High res textures won't save the sub-par graphics.

Originally posted by warmaster670

So having a pretty nice and useful resource for your game is a bad thing?

Ive used a free Elite, and its really nice, and has alot of useful info in it, people will always bitch about everything.

If I wanted to be subscribed to something, or nickle and dimed to death, I'd be playing MMORPGs.  Or be playing MW3.

Also, not having an "Elite" service like MW3 was one of the promotion points of BF3.  The draw was classic BF3 sales.  Buy the game and have access "forevah."  Some rather large expansions, especially in the case of BF2.

The other concern is the witholding of what should be core gameplay features for the sake of the premium service.  Remember, this is EA we're talking about.  Activision is more sheisty, but EA has a long track record in shadiness.

Originally posted by Isasis

Keep in mind, this texture pack will also "possibly" interfere with other mods if they use those textures. More so with body mods (which would get replaced by the texture pack) or mods that alter equipment textures.

This way is also good if you want to use texture mods+this one to go along with it

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/554730-the-creation-kit-is-live/page__st__320

Scroll down to Outlander's post and then you'll be able to use HD and any mod that uses textures. Though, the mod textures will override the HD textures by Bethesda by doing that, if both share the same textures. So, keep that in mind.

This was something else I noticed, the conflicting textures with the DLC activated.  With such conflicts and me liking what I already had, I disabled the DLC and everything was just fine again.

• KhinRuniteKhinRunite Member Posts: 879

Originally posted by Gdemami

Now i wonder if this game is fully DX11 upgradable in near future through a mod?

If thats posible then game realy will shine graphics wise all who have a decent DX11 rig.

Yeah. Bethesda themselves will have to change the Creation Engine to support DX11. At the moment though, just install the ENB mod + HD textures and you will clearly see an improvement...given you have the rig for it, of course.

• Trolldefender99Trolldefender99 Member UncommonPosts: 416

I gave it a try, but it lowered my FPS way too much. I would rather use the 4k texture mod that is on Nexus, along with being able to use a higher gridstoload (I can set it to 9) and a higher viewing distance. Gridstoload makes the background way better, by objects in the distance not being invisible.

The texture pack is more complete than the mod (probably why the game runs horribly on my system with it), but more viewing distance and more objects loading does more for my game than some extra textures. But that is just me. The texture mod on SkyrimNexus looks fine enough, anyway.

Not sure why Bethesda's texture pack ruined my FPS so much, since I can use the 4k textures just fine...I'm guessing like I said, it is just because a lot more textures are higher res or something. Still, even with putting gridstoload back to vanilla levels, my FPS was still worse than it was with the nexus mod and higher gridstoload (which has the highest performance loss).

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

Originally posted by Gdemami

Yeah. Bethesda themselves will have to change the Creation Engine to support DX11. At the moment though, just install the ENB mod + HD textures and you will clearly see an improvement...given you have the rig for it, of course.

My PC is high end so yes i can handle good graphics but this bethesda HR patch is nice but i don't see much difference only that game now is a little brighter, still game is good graphics even its DX9.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i