Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Kingdoms of Amalur is actually pretty good..

nomatics856nomatics856 orlando, FLPosts: 214Member

I enjoy the begining of KOA much more than I did with skyrim. Skyrim is a great game no doubt, I dont think KOA will top skyrim but KOA has a special charm, right now I love the combat, customization its is just the inbetween of fable and the elderscrolls. It will be a perfect addition to my action/rpgs.

Good game :)

Comments

• GreenHellGreenHell ludlow, MAPosts: 1,322Member Uncommon

just from the demo I would say it is a decent game. To me it is not worth the $60 price tag though. I'll wait a few months.

• MephsterMephster Tyria, NJPosts: 1,188Member

I enjoyed the demo alot. Pre-ordered ages ago. I like the combat alot in the game.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member

From the demo, the game is pretty good.  It lacks options, and makes me want to murder all the elves then quit and play Skyrim though.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• VarkingVarking Winston-Salem, NCPosts: 433Member

Originally posted by Souldrainer

From the demo, the game is pretty good.  It lacks options, and makes me want to murder all the elves then quit and play Skyrim though.

In the demo you can actually kill all the elves. Press up on the dpad and then go kill em!

• eddieg50eddieg50 Tolland, CTPosts: 1,613Member Uncommon

Originally posted by nomatics856

I enjoy the begining of KOA much more than I did with skyrim. Skyrim is a great game no doubt, I dont think KOA will top skyrim but KOA has a special charm, right now I love the combat, customization its is just the inbetween of fable and the elderscrolls. It will be a perfect addition to my action/rpgs.

i love the beginning of Skyrim, great story line , gritty and fun

Originally posted by eddieg50

Originally posted by nomatics856

i love the beginning of Skyrim, great story line , gritty and fun

The beginning of Skyrim is epic:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/11/16/fantastic-skyrim-bugs-2-through-11-flying-ponies-flipping-ca/

It makes it so that is also the end of the game as well.

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Elmer, NJPosts: 1,857Member

Originally posted by Varking

In the demo you can actually kill all the elves. Press up on the dpad and then go kill em!

Too late.  I uninstalled.  Probably won't buy it.  The story did not grip me, and the mechanics weren't visceral enough for my taste.  One fatality every 10-15 fights?  No thanks.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

Originally posted by Varking

Too late.  I uninstalled.  Probably won't buy it.  The story did not grip me, and the mechanics weren't visceral enough for my taste.  One fatality every 10-15 fights?  No thanks.

Stealth fatalities happen far more often than that. I see SWTOR in your sig, how often do fatalities happen in that game?

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Where would you rank it among these

Skyrim
    Witcher 2
    Dragon age origins
    Dragon age 2
  • SpallieroSpalliero Fresno, CAPosts: 147Member
    Skyrim is a much superior game, koa is just not the quality. Skyrim is a 9.5, koa is 7.5. That said I enjoy koa more.

Sic Luceat Lux

• neuronomadneuronomad Symsonia, KYPosts: 1,276Member

Originally posted by ShakyMo

Where would you rank it among these

Skyrim

Witcher 2

Dragon age origins

Dragon age 2

For me personally after 2 hours of game play I rate it above Skyrim.   I like the art direction myself.  I have many, many dozens of hours played in Skyrim and love that game but KoA:R is wonder (well other than Origin cheated me out of $63 (not the games fault) and the occasional CTD which I am sure will get resolved with patch.  

To me it was a Day One buy.  Had it on order since last fall and haven't regreted it.

--------------------------------
    Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2 and Path of Exile

Quit: Eden Eternal, Wakfu, DDO, STO, DCUO, Sword 2, Atlantica Online, LOTRO, SWTOR, RIFT, Earthrise, FFXIV, RoM, Allods Online, GA,WAR,CO,V:SoH,POTBS,TR,COH/COV, WOW, DDO,AL, EQ, Eve, L2, AA, Mx0, SWG, SoR, AO, RFO, DAoC, and others.
    www.twitter.com/mlwhitt
    www.michaelwhitt.com

• greyed-outgreyed-out buttercupsville, OKPosts: 99Member

It is indeed a good game :)

I'm glad to see other people enjoying it.  It has its flaws, but for a first attempt in a new IP, I'd say this is the start of something good... very good!

• ScopedogScopedog StockholmPosts: 64Member

Personally I did not find it that enjoyable.

It just lacked personality for me, it felt very bland. The characters, story, the setting.

The combat however worked fluidly and was fun, but not fun enough to make me stay.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Livonia, MIPosts: 1,244Member

I am having a blast in the game.  The combat is great, the ability animations are killer and the story is good so far.

I like the skill trees so far but the game does have its flaws.

Number 1 - The camera is crap, crap, crap and more crap. 

Number 2 - No jumping, wtf, how can you overlook a simple thing like jumping. 

Some other minor flaws but those the 2 that are almost game breakers but the gameplay does allow me to overlook them.

Sooner or Later

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAPosts: 18,455Member Uncommon

Originally posted by Spalliero

Skyrim is a much superior game, koa is just not the quality. Skyrim is a 9.5, koa is 7.5. That said I enjoy koa more.

I would probably agree. However, a coworker started playing Amalur and in some ways likes it better than skyrim because it's "not as open".

He really loves it. I will be installing tonight, Skyrim is more my type of game but I suspect that there is some good stuff in here.

• TdogSkalTdogSkal Livonia, MIPosts: 1,244Member

Originally posted by Sovrath

I would probably agree. However, a coworker started playing Amalur and in some ways likes it better than skyrim because it's "not as open".

He really loves it. I will be installing tonight, Skyrim is more my type of game but I suspect that there is some good stuff in here.

The game does become much more open as you get further into the game from what I have heard.  I am only level 5 almost 6, played most of last night but I am not a fast leveler in Single player games, I tend to explorer everything and play with crafting.

Skyrim is the benchmark of single player RPGs really, other than the lack of weapons and armor but that could just be my play style, after i got my smithing to 100, I never found anything to replace my weapons and armor for like half the game which is not fun for me personally.

Sooner or Later

• kashiegamerkashiegamer Online City, NYPosts: 263Member

This week is like an aftershock after the earthquake of 2011 caused by the gaming boom of last year (especially during Q4). Last year was a good year for gaming, and this week makes me feel like it's still 2011. Both CK and KoA were released just today. Good week. Good week.

My Blog About Hellgate Global, an ARPG/FPS hybrid MMO:
    http://kashiewannaplay.wordpress.com/

Hellgate Global Official Fan Blog
    http://t3funhellgate.wordpress.com/

Currently Playing: Hellgate Global, LoL, Skyrim, Morrowind
    Recently Played: Cardmon Hero, Cabal, Oblivion

I am confused , you say Skyrim is a MUCH superior game and you rate it 2 points higher yet you like koa more-huh

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,289Member Uncommon

I dont know, KoA to me just looked like a rehashed Daggerdale, which imo, was a singularly unimpressive game, and after watching game play vids of KoA on youtube, i can't imagine me buying it any time soon, it just doesnt look that interesting, admittedly though, i do prefer MMO's to single player games, Skyrim being one of the very few exceptions. image

I am confused , you say Skyrim is a MUCH superior game and you rate it 2 points higher yet you like koa more-huh

Actually, it makes perfect sense.

You see, "the problem is this..."

Many people on these and other forums have this idea that just because something is declared "good" it's likeable. Or will be liked more.

However, it really depends on what you are using to measure "good".

So, I can show you pieces of music that are so superior to most of everything that people are listenning to because their composition is rich, deep, complex, well thought out, and pretty much just "well put together'. But that doesn't mean anything if you listen to it and hate it.

It also falls under the "it's more than the sum of its parts" argument.

You can list all the things a game (or anything really) has as well as its detractig elements and still find it to be superior to something that has more "good" elements than bad.

Because there is essentially some ineffable quality that just makes you like it better.

Look, I think "how I met your mother" is a hysterical show. I like it a lot. but in no way shape or form do I think it's anything more than a sit-com. It has very predictable sit-com elements and of course formulaic plots. It's the small things that matter to me that make it "more likeable".

Yet someone could point to a show that was new, fresh, not formulaic, deep characters and I might not like it. I might be one of the first people to declare "yes, it's better than 'how I met your mother'" but regardless of all the superior elements I might not like it.

You can recognize superior craftsmanship, superior design and still not like something and prefer something of lesser make.

• RizelStarRizelStar Raleigh, NCPosts: 2,773Member

Originally posted by TdogSkal

The game does become much more open as you get further into the game from what I have heard.  I am only level 5 almost 6, played most of last night but I am not a fast leveler in Single player games, I tend to explorer everything and play with crafting.

Skyrim is the benchmark of single player RPGs really, other than the lack of weapons and armor but that could just be my play style, after i got my smithing to 100, I never found anything to replace my weapons and armor for like half the game which is not fun for me personally.

I don't know why but that sounds very familiar it almost sounds like another rpg game.

How ever I'm glad in KOA they did make sure the world was a live.

Though to me it seems for retention on RPs being open from the start seems better IMO.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Actually, it makes perfect sense.

You see, "the problem is this..."

Many people on these and other forums have this idea that just because something is declared "good" it's likeable. Or will be liked more.

However, it really depends on what you are using to measure "good".

So, I can show you pieces of music that are so superior to most of everything that people are listenning to because their composition is rich, deep, complex, well thought out, and pretty much just "well put together'. But that doesn't mean anything if you listen to it and hate it.

It also falls under the "it's more than the sum of its parts" argument.

You can list all the things a game (or anything really) has as well as its detractig elements and still find it to be superior to something that has more "good" elements than bad.

Because there is essentially some ineffable quality that just makes you like it better.

Look, I think "how I met your mother" is a hysterical show. I like it a lot. but in no way shape or form do I think it's anything more than a sit-com. It has very predictable sit-com elements and of course formulaic plots. It's the small things that matter to me that make it "more likeable".

Yet someone could point to a show that was new, fresh, not formulaic, deep characters and I might not like it. I might be one of the first people to declare "yes, it's better than 'how I met your mother'" but regardless of all the superior elements I might not like it.

You can recognize superior craftsmanship, superior design and still not like something and prefer something of lesser make.

Actually you have a point, My fav mmo now is swtor, the PvP is meh, the graphics just ok, the combat similar but slightly better than wow, not as much diversity as Vanguard, but those cut scenes and voice overs really have me hooked and make the game more immersive and fun

• MephsterMephster Tyria, NJPosts: 1,188Member

It is a good game but the problem is that the game is not challenging enough. it is too easy. It is like t hey made the game for a bunch of 2 year olds. I am playing in hardmode and it still is too easy. That is the only gripe I have so far.

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

Actually you have a point, My fav mmo now is swtor, the PvP is meh, the graphics just ok, the combat similar but slightly better than wow, not as much diversity as Vanguard, but those cut scenes and voice overs really have me hooked and make the game more immersive and fun

Exactly! Sometimes the experience is worth more than the sum of its parts.

As per the OP, I started playing Amular last night and you know? It actually is pretty good.

It feels much better than the demo. Not to say that if you hated the game the demo offered the real game would change one's mind.

But three seem to be more character creation choices, I actually like how my character now looks. I could have sworn that one quest I was doing in the demo makes more sense in the real game, etc.

It took a bit to get used to the camera as it makes me dizzy. Sort of the way they set up the system but looking at the avatar running and then turning makes my eyes hurt.

I either got used to it or I'm looking less at my avatar.

I discovered that exploring does lead to discovering new things.

There is "open world" stuff in that one can pick a path/direction and discover something hidden if they are looking. It's not one open field however. At least not around the starter town.

It feels like a more open fable. ON on this rare occasion, crafting seems to be interesting.

I just started out hard because players were saying that the game was too easy. It also seemed easy until I confronted those things for the "wolf" quest. When they hit they hit very hard.

I think that's the thing on Hard mode. It's not harder for you to take them down but when they hit you you take quite a bit of damage as well as being knocked back which, when confronted with several enemies, can be an issue.