Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

League of Legends: First Impressions with Ripper X

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

MMORPG.COM's Ripper X blasts into Riot Games' free to play dynamo, League of Legends, for some newbie ownage and epic fun. Check out League of Legends: First Impressions with Ripper X and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Nice!  I recently jumped into this game not a big fan of micro management heavy RTS games, and I have fallen in love with MOBA style gaming.  It is everything I love from RTS games and FPS games combined.

My only problem is that I feel pretty overwhelmed.  I know LoL is the best of the best right now, but part of me just wants to wait for DOTA 2 to launch to dive into that game from the start.  LoL is decently newbie friendly, but I still feel overwhelmed.

Also what is with the lack of maps?  I know balance is hard, but 75+ champs and only 3 maps?  They could at least reskin and change environments with mirrored maps or something.  As a new player (25 ish hours now) I am already bored of the maps.

I still very much enjoy the game, but I find myself not fully committing and kind of waiting for DOTA 2.

Blizzard DOTA looks like something I will completely avoid.

• KaadaziKaadazi Member Posts: 2

omg hacker bots

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by ProfRed

Nice!  I recently jumped into this game not a big fan of micro management heavy RTS games, and I have fallen in love with MOBA style gaming.  It is everything I love from RTS games and FPS games combined.

My only problem is that I feel pretty overwhelmed.  I know LoL is the best of the best right now, but part of me just wants to wait for DOTA 2 to launch to dive into that game from the start.  LoL is decently newbie friendly, but I still feel overwhelmed.

Also what is with the lack of maps?  I know balance is hard, but 75+ champs and only 3 maps?  They could at least reskin and change environments with mirrored maps or something.  As a new player (25 ish hours now) I am already bored of the maps.

I still very much enjoy the game, but I find myself not fully committing and kind of waiting for DOTA 2.

Blizzard DOTA looks like something I will completely avoid.

Afaik there are 3 skins for summoners rift (summer, autumn, winter and a halloween/xmass one) and 2 for twisted treeline.

• FlawSGIFlawSGI Member UncommonPosts: 1,379

It was pretty painful to watch. I just think if you are going to do a small review like this or a first impression as you call it, and the game has a tutorial, maybe you should run it before jumping in. Then your first impression wouldn't have been as bad. I did laugh that he claimed the bots were hacking lmao. Word of advice again, try the tutorial or at the lest read up a little before doing a video like this. 

RIP Jimmy "The Rev" Sullivan and Paul Gray.

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

I know there are some simple skins, but I mean like full on environment shifts like a dessert with cliffs and brambles and model changes not just 2d graphic changes.  Why not other mirrored maps altogether?  Just already bored of maps, but I do easily bore of maps from playing too many FPS's and I do want too much I am sure.

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by ProfRed

I know there are some simple skins, but I mean like full on environment shifts like a dessert with cliffs and brambles and model changes not just 2d graphic changes.  Why not other mirrored maps altogether?  Just already bored of maps, but I do easily bore of maps from playing too many FPS's and I do want too much I am sure.

There was supposed to be a new map (Magma Chamber) in season 2, but they decided to bring out Dominion instead.

You really need to treat MOBA like an FPS, don't play it for 6 hours straight, unless you are really serious about being competitive that is.

The optimal way to play is to have one or two matches a day to get the first win of the day IP bonus so you can unlock champions. Else Dominion is a good way to farm IP (because quicker games with same/higher IP gain).

Yes new maps would be cool, but new maps don't generate cash on the store, champions and skins do, so the focus is obviously on that.

But i agree Riot should step up their game before DOTA2 launches and sucks all the players out of the game.

PS: pro tip, don't play solo ranked, ever.

• KrellenKrellen Member Posts: 84

To the first poster, don't worry about getting overwhelmed.  You will pick it up.  DOTA2 will not be any easier to learn.  Much harder and will release with just as many champions.  The mechanics in LOL have been streamlined to be more new user friendly from DOTA. 

Blizzard DOTA will be extremly dumbed down.

• ThorHalThorHal Member Posts: 89

RipperX loses against bots.

RipperX loses 5 points of credibility.

• RobbgobbRobbgobb Member UncommonPosts: 674

RipperX was ripped a new one by pretty lame bots. The tutorial is the best thing about starting new. It at least tells you about leveling your skills so you have your ultimate to use at the very least. The item buying was funny. I remember starting and there was no bots but did not do that horribly. It wasn't till I got in some matches with pre-made opponents that I looked that bad.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    I never liked DOTA but I like LoL coz its easier. DOTA2 will not take alot of players from LoL
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

All of you ripping on RipperX need to lay off.

He did say he was playing against Hack-Bots, theres not much he can do.

Hold youre chin up RipperX

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• XstylesXstyles Member Posts: 107

Originally posted by kostoslav

I never liked DOTA but I like LoL coz its easier. DOTA2 will not take alot of players from LoL

Lets hope not. If I'm gonna play it, I don't want the LoL whiners playing DotA 2

• OtomoxOtomox Member UncommonPosts: 303

could you stop posting about this bad rts game on a mmorpg site. We get it riot is paying you to attract more ppl but we dont care about cheap games that still havent the 2nd map or a replay mode for about 2 years.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

Originally posted by Xstyles

Originally posted by kostoslav

Lets hope not. If I'm gonna play it, I don't want the LoL whiners playing DotA 2

There isn't many from the original DOTA community that plays LoL actually.

Commercially LoL is similar to WoW in that, it is a lot of people's first 'MOBA' style game.

HoN on the other hand will lose some players and the original War3-Dota as well. This is because the big-teams in the DOTA community has said they will move from HON/DOTA to DOTA2.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• grimfallgrimfall Member UncommonPosts: 1,153

Originally posted by Hokie

All of you ripping on RipperX need to lay off.

He did say he was playing against Hack-Bots, theres not much he can do.

Hold youre chin up RipperX

Normally I don't comment on the voices of the MMORPG staff, because I understand they're only pseudo-professionals doing this as part time gigs, and they haven't been properly trained.

Ripper X, however, is quite obviously intentionally modifying at least his speech patterns, if not his voice as well.  I am sure I will get moderating for saying what I think he sounds like, but let's just say it involves operating an ice cream truck.

Just be yourself, man.  It's going to come out a lot better and more professional sounding than this mess.