Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Serious `What game` advice please

Hi all, this is not intented as spam and I appreciate that in the end, only I can choose. But a few pointers would be handy ::::39::

I have played the following games

Legend of Mire 2 (which I liked, but feel is dated)

Myth of Soma (which I got bored of very quickly but did like the crafting)

DAOC which I liked a lot, but found the lower level groups to be few and far between.

Priston Tales which I currently have a lvl 52 character on. Have had a lot of fun with this for many months but feel like a change.

FFXI Personally, while a huge fan of the PS2 single player series, I found this game to be lacking something, though not quite sure what.

If it helps, I also love Morrowind.

So I'm after a change. I like playing warrior/mage/paladin type characters. I like to group but I also like to be able to solo. PvP isn't top of my list, although I like it if it's done properly (characters get penalised for harassing other characters, so you don't get put off game by people indiscrimenyly killing you), or if it's like the realms in DAOC.

I'm looking for something I can put a good few months of my life into, without running out of things to do. Don't mind slow leveling if there's lots of new places to explore every few levels. I like crafting, though not essential. Quests are nice but not essential.

I was thinking about WOW but after reading this forum, am begining to change my mind. I don't want to be able to get up to the maximum level easily, also as far as I know, there's no trial available in the UK and after forking out over £70 for two copies of FFXI only to be dissapointed, I'm reluctant to waste more money should I not like it (I need 2 copies as if I start playing on my PC, my son will demand to play it on his ::::01:: )

So I'm stuck, but want to try something different. Not a starwars film fan although that wouldn't stop me playing SWG if it's good, also considering Everquest 2.

Any suggestions please?

thanks

Phil

Comments

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

For what you listed i say EQ2.It is group oriented but has lots of solo content too.

And you will not max out quickly and when you do thats when the fun begins as there is so much end game content.

Though you need a real nice system to run it properly sadly.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

CoH.

When you reach levels that are close to level 50, just ignore what is left of the game and switch to something else...was the best MMORPG experience I got, even if it end just as badly and poorly as my EQ experience.

Issue 5 will screw CoH a little more, the game is not aging well, so I would highly recommend you jump in and appreciate what you can from it before it vanish into silly changes that make the game no more fun and simply a meaningless game that try to keep old players hooked without adding anything worth it to the game.

But even with Issue 5 live, it would probably still be the best MMORPG out there. 

WoW would have been nice as a first experience.  But I would recommend that you remain far away from it now, nothing in WoW for experienced players.

As for the comment about EQ2, if the very reason of your existence is your guild, go and enjoy, it is a unique product and it is very well done(a little like a Japanese company mentality).  If your guild is only something secondary for you, then stay FAR from EQ2, you will only experience pain in EQ2 if you are not guild oriented(IE guild oriented dont equal raid oriented, but there are similarities).  When they talk about solo in EQ2, dont bother to listen, there is as much solo concern in EQ2 as the witch giving the apple is concerned about the princess health.  But EQ2 is very nice...in it own ways.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• JulianDracosJulianDracos Member UncommonPosts: 1,528
    Just go back to DAOC and play on the new servers.  Since it is a new server there will be a huge amount of people to group with at your level. 
  • tribulationtribulation Member Posts: 6

Thanks all

Am downloading demo of EQ2 and will decide then whether to buy that or return to DAOC.

best

Phil

• Trigget4kTrigget4k Member Posts: 45

Whoa whoa whoa, wheres this eq2 demo??

• just try www.ryl.com.my is ryl part good pk and pvp

Originally posted by Trigget4k
    Whoa whoa whoa, wheres this eq2 demo??

http://everquest2.station.sony.com/

Trial of the Isle, Free Trial Version of EQ2

I've gone for EQ2 ::::02::

As I'm in Europe, as far as I am aware, we don't have the new servers for DAOC.

best

Phil

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Hmm from the sound of it I can honestly say I think you'd really enjoy EQ2.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• GwendleGwendle Member UncommonPosts: 48

Different strokes for different folks, but my recommendation would be EQII. I played WoW and it was fun for a couple of months, but then got boring. Plus, it's full of bugs and other technical problems... and lots of very nasty people. If you've got powerful enough hardware for EQII, there's no question that it should be your choice.

• woolfe99woolfe99 Member Posts: 3

Seriously, run, don't walk, to play WoW. 

I have played several other MMO's.  My average longevity is about 90 days.  This game grabbed me back in December and has hooked me ever since.  It will continue to hook me for a long time to come.  WoW has 2 million subscribers for a reason.  It isn't slick marketing - it's the game.

This game has content in it that is literally 3-5 fold what any other MMO has.  And it isn't just quantity.  It's quality.  The questing content is so expansive and varied that the game rarely, if ever, feels like a grind.  The world is literally huge.  You can play for months without exploring all of it.  And the instance dungeons are unique and very well designed.

The game supports solo and group play very well.  The PvP is fun, but is never mandatory unless you purposefully set up on a PvP server.

It takes about 3 months to level to 60 if you play around 20 hours per week, less if you play more, more if you play less.

But the best thing about WoW is that the game almost literally begins at 60.  No other game offers more to do at max level than this one.  My main has been 60 since March, and I am *still* playing him.

There are problems of course.  Server lag can be bad at times.  There can be short queues to logon.  There are some class imbalances like in most MMO's, but that issue is less of a problem here than in others I've played.

If you decide to try out WoW, start up on the Proudmoore forum.  You have a friend in game.  Character name is Landren.

Cheers,

Woolfe

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Originally posted by woolfe99
    WoW has 2 million subscribers for a reason.

Reason: fanatical faith (aka fanboy).

The game is rock-solid, and a great entrypoint for players new to MMOG...but the game is shallow for most MMOG veterans. Its success is directly hinged upon the legions of Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo devotees.

Originally posted by ianubisi

WoW has 2 million subscribers for a reason.

Reason: fanatical faith (aka fanboy).

The game is rock-solid, and a great entrypoint for players new to MMOG...but the game is shallow for most MMOG veterans. Its success is directly hinged upon the legions of Warcraft/Starcraft/Diablo devotees.

I would respectfully disagree with that.  A fanbase only brings success in the initial marketing push.  It doesn't create longevity.  Take DDO for example.  That game will get a good initial subscriber base because of the D&D tie-in.  But if it isn't a good game, it won't last.

WoW has a lot of players in it, both casual and hardcore, who have been around since beta and aren't even thinking about moving on.  Most of the people that I got to know when I started are still there.  That says something about the content.  Shallow?  Try any of the numerous MMO's out there that offer very few quests, or more likely, 8 billion quests that all look and feel the same (EQ2, for example).  WoW isn't one of them.  This game will last for 5-10 years, and it isn't because of Blizzard fanboys.  Liking other games that a company has done in the past might make you buy a game, but it won't keep you in a game if you're bored.

- Lan

Thanks for all your input.

Have had EQ2 for a day now and think I've made a very good choice. I'm pretty sure it uses the same game engine as DAOC as there are a lot of similararaties.

Only cost me £30 for two copies including 30 days subscription so very reasonably priced.

I think I'm going to spend many many happy months in this game.

best

Phil

• GeneralDoliGeneralDoli Member Posts: 71

It uses the SWG engine, methinks. Kind of sad, though, because they don't take advantage of it with character creation.

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

Why do people bash WoW so much? It isn't for the hardcore gamer? I am a hardcore gamer and i LOVE it. In terms of big budget MMORPG games, you name it, i've played it apart from UO. WoW has the most fun leveling system in the game and to get the top gear for your class is definately going to take even the most seasoned of gamers, a few months to do. Also then you can start all over again with a different class and it is a totally different experience.

Everquest 2 was similar but it definately is not for the soloist nor would i class it as a fun game in terms of quests. You spent most of your time not having hardly any clue where to go for your quest other than so and so is in this area which could lead you searching that area for around an hour and still not find him. In my opinion, that is not what i call fun. Grinding on EQ2 is tough due to the inconsistancy of the levels of monsters who spawn and searching for new grind spots is made tough by the fact the world is HUGE.

I am by no means a WoW fanboy as i really hate blizzard and i really wish i could put WoW down for good but the game keeps sucking me back in due to the amount of fun you have leveling.

Originally posted by Senden

Why do people bash WoW so much?

Because people always bash the game that is the most popular at a given time.  It's a kind of elitism - you bash something because it has popular appeal, and because you want everyone to know that you don't like something just because the masses do.  EQ1 had the problem for a long time as well.  The backlash was so bad that you literally couldn't even mention that game on any MMO forum without getting flamed.  Yet lots of people played it, for a long time.

But you're right, WoW keeps sucking you back in.  Blizzard hit a homerun with their game design.  Now if they can only work on their customer relations...

- Woolfe

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

A fanbase only brings success in the initial marketing push. It doesn't create longevity. Take DDO for example. That game will get a good initial subscriber base because of the D&D tie-in. But if it isn't a good game, it won't last.

The game has barely been alive for 9 months, so be careful about how you describe longevity. Counter to that point are the many players who comment here regularly about how they've become bored with the game. Having played the game myself, I know I reached the same conclusion very quickly.

WoW has a lot of players in it, both casual and hardcore, who have been around since beta and aren't even thinking about moving on. Most of the people that I got to know when I started are still there. That says something about the content.

Every single game on the market can make this claim, hence the term "fanatics". You will find loyalists everywhere you look. That is not a testament to the appeal of the game to another player.

Shallow? Try any of the numerous MMO's out there that offer very few quests, or more likely, 8 billion quests that all look and feel the same (EQ2, for example). WoW isn't one of them. This game will last for 5-10 years, and it isn't because of Blizzard fanboys. Liking other games that a company has done in the past might make you buy a game, but it won't keep you in a game if you're bored.

The game lacks a degree of depth that is requisite for a MMO gamer who has been around the block more than a few times, the exception being if you enjoy Battlegrounds PvP content which is essentially a self-sustaining form of entertainment. PvE players, like myself, require the content of the game as our mainstay...and it has been my point of view that WoW has done absolutely nothing unique or interesting in this regard.

The longer you stay around the MMOG community as a whole the sooner you will come to realize that there are trends that nearly all players follow. The first game played becomes the watermark for all others, and for a duration of time (months or years, depending on player temperament) a player will remain committed to their character(s) in order to advance their own notions of goals. You will find people slavishly devoted to the grind, to the detriment of their own enjoyment, for fear of losing ground against competing players or for fear of the realization that it all means nothing in the end.

The fact that a game is successful and has a high subscribership mark, or high retail sales, does not equate to gauranteed acceptance by other players. Just use the Guild Wars vs. (whatever) threads as your analogy...what appeals to one may not appeal to another. It is my assertion (which is to say my opinion) that WoW is not a good choice for a discerning, experienced player who is looking for a game to sink their teeth into for a few years. I succinctly wrap up that argument by calling the game "shallow", which I believe it firmly is. That doesn't stop me from recommending it, very regularly, to newer players or people who just want to try something different. But my recommendation does not blunt my perspective on the game...and neither does my argument against the game take away from my admiration for it.

• boboslaveboboslave Member Posts: 77

Nicely put ianubisi,

WoW was my first MMO and it has definately been a blast, but after
    playing it for 7-months i've started to realise the problems with it.
    Problems that I associate more with MMOs in general rather than
    just WoW though. What i'm curious about in regards to discussions
    like this, is that fact that while people quite easily offer valid criticisms
    (such as WoW lacking depth) they rarely offer the counter example
    of where they believe it was done right. I understand that this quite
    often difficult to explain due to the fact that it's based on the feeling
    that a player gets from a game, but i'm curious as to the alternatives.

I haven't played any others so i have a very limitied perspective, and
    unfortunately do not wish to run around spending more money on MMOs
    (expensive habit). I'm keen, as always, to get more information from
    other players about the games that they believe solved the problem for
    you. I have never in my life played a game as long as i have with WoW,
    nothing holds my attention for even a couple of months, and i guess i've
    played the game not really expecting to never get bored. It boggles my
    mind that people played games like EQ and such for 4 years, surely their
    wasn't that much content, and taking SO long to reach the endgame
    doesn't sound appealing to me due to the fact that i've grown to absolutely
    hate the 'level-up' mechanics of these games.

Of course, this is off-topic but the OP seems to have already got his answer
    and any discussion is fun. :)

- Bobo