Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Popular game with trade/economic

TisLarsTisLars RotterdamPosts: 48Member

Hey,

 

Looking for a casual game where getting fast to end-game isn't the major goal.

As a former Guild Wars and World of Warcraft player, I enjoy crafting/farming items to place on auction.

 

I was looking into Ragnarok Online, cause of the immense playerbase, but not sure if it really suits my taste.

Games I played:

Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Star Wars: TOR, Dungeons&Dragons Online

 

I'm open for anything, give me some direction! :)

Comments

  • RobokappRobokapp Dublin, OHPosts: 5,205Member Uncommon

    I'm interested in this as well.

    image

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,778Member Uncommon

    From your list of games played, it sounds like you've never played a game that had much of an economy or crafting system.  I take it that you'd like to try such a game?

    EVE Online is by far the most popular game to have a heavy focus on the game economy.  A Tale in the Desert and Uncharted Waters Online do, too.  If you're into crafting, then you have to try ATITD, as you really can't talk intelligently about crafting in MMORPGs on a site like this if you haven't played ATITD.

    All of those games are very complicated, however, and that can make them hard to get into.  If you want something more casual-friendly with a heavy focus on the game economy, then I'm going to recommend Puzzle Pirates for you.

    Those are all sandbox games, and none have a clear demarcation of "now you're in the endgame".  You could think of them as not having an endgame at all, or alternatively, as soon as you've completed whatever tutorials are available, you're in the endgame.  (But not in the bad sense!)  But regardless, there isn't a rush to skip everything and get to the endgame so that you can start complaining about how terrible endgames are like there is in WoW.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Also perpetuum, but its very eve like, kind of like eve but with mechs instead of space ships
  • AvsRock21AvsRock21 Denver, COPosts: 256Member

    Another game, similar to EVE in a few ways, but far more accessible, is Pirates of the Burning Sea.  You can be successful with the economy without leveling up too far.  The leveling is themepark, because you go from port to port picking up quests.  But the endgame is far more sandbox.  Endgame is all about port battles (technically RvRvRvR, Spanish v British v French v Pirates) and the economy.  All ships (except your 'fallback') are created by players.  And it takes coordination from many players to successfully build ships.

  • RaysheRayshe London, ONPosts: 1,284Member

    Check out Face of Mankind. the game is set up so that there are departments for people like you.

     

    Ex.

    in the faction GoM back when i played there was a production department, they build and fed the military department so that the military department could do what they needed.

    Because i can.
    I'm Hopeful For Every Game, Until the Fan Boys Attack My Games. Then the Knives Come Out.
    Logic every gamers worst enemy.

  • TisLarsTisLars RotterdamPosts: 48Member



    Originally posted by Quizzical
    From your list of games played, it sounds like you've never played a game that had much of an economy or crafting system.  I take it that you'd like to try such a game?
    EVE Online is by far the most popular game to have a heavy focus on the game economy.  A Tale in the Desert and Uncharted Waters Online do, too.  If you're into crafting, then you have to try ATITD, as you really can't talk intelligently about crafting in MMORPGs on a site like this if you haven't played ATITD.
    All of those games are very complicated, however, and that can make them hard to get into.  If you want something more casual-friendly with a heavy focus on the game economy, then I'm going to recommend Puzzle Pirates for you.
    Those are all sandbox games, and none have a clear demarcation of "now you're in the endgame".  You could think of them as not having an endgame at all, or alternatively, as soon as you've completed whatever tutorials are available, you're in the endgame.  (But not in the bad sense!)  But regardless, there isn't a rush to skip everything and get to the endgame so that you can start complaining about how terrible endgames are like there is in WoW.

     
    Tried Puzzle Pirates last night, went through all the Tutorials and such. I don't think it really is my cup of tea though. The puzzles aren't my thing :)




    Originally posted by AvsRock21
    Another game, similar to EVE in a few ways, but far more accessible, is Pirates of the Burning Sea. You can be successful with the economy without leveling up too far. The leveling is themepark, because you go from port to port picking up quests. But the endgame is far more sandbox. Endgame is all about port battles (technically RvRvRvR, Spanish v British v French v Pirates) and the economy. All ships (except your 'fallback') are created by players. And it takes coordination from many players to successfully build ships.


    Currently looking into Pirates of the Burning Sea. Not sure if I like the restrictions on free to play accounts, perhaps I try out the game and see if I pay to lose most restrictions.
    Is the game active?

    And what about Ragnarok Online?

  • fenistilfenistil GliwicePosts: 3,005Member

    EvE - you don't have to fight there, you can craft and trade only and be "succesful".

     

    As for other games - well I would recommend SWG ,it had great crafting and trading but it is closed.

    UO in it early days was also kinda good in this matter.

     

     

    ArcheAge is supposed to have preety nice crafting , but it is far away from western coast yet :(

  • WorstluckWorstluck the valley, CAPosts: 1,269Member

    Already been said, but Eve is the best 'trade' MMO I have played.  All you need is some basic skills, a little start up capital, and you're off.  Takes a little market research and some common sense.  There really is no 'endgame' unless you consider moving high volumes or hauling your loads around in jump frieghter end game. 

     

    SWG was great back in the day, but it's gone.  I currently play MO, which has a crap ton of player made goods and a lot of player trading, but its not as popular as Eve.  If you can get into the whole space thing, you should check the game out.  I can't recommend any of the linear games because the economies are usually pretty simple and know nothing of Ragnarok online sorry.

    image

  • TisLarsTisLars RotterdamPosts: 48Member

    EVE sounds very promising seeing the replies. However, it is a Pay2Play, but I have also read something about earning gametime through gameplay.

    How does this work? And is it easy to obtain with casual play?

  • QuizzicalQuizzical Posts: 14,778Member Uncommon

    Originally posted by nooq





    Currently looking into Pirates of the Burning Sea. Not sure if I like the restrictions on free to play accounts, perhaps I try out the game and see if I pay to lose most restrictions.

    Is the game active?

    PotBS has crafting as a side activity.  You get to do a fixed amount of crafting in a day, and everyone gets to do exactly the same amount.  It's a nice complementary feature, which is more than can be said for the crafting system in a lot of games.  But if you want something more involved than merely spending ten minutes each day burning through your labor, you'll have to look elsewhere.

  • VikingLegionVikingLegion Minneapolis, MNPosts: 30Member

    Originally posted by nooq

     






    Originally posted by Quizzical

    From your list of games played, it sounds like you've never played a game that had much of an economy or crafting system.  I take it that you'd like to try such a game?

    EVE Online is by far the most popular game to have a heavy focus on the game economy.  A Tale in the Desert and Uncharted Waters Online do, too.  If you're into crafting, then you have to try ATITD, as you really can't talk intelligently about crafting in MMORPGs on a site like this if you haven't played ATITD.

    All of those games are very complicated, however, and that can make them hard to get into.  If you want something more casual-friendly with a heavy focus on the game economy, then I'm going to recommend Puzzle Pirates for you.

    Those are all sandbox games, and none have a clear demarcation of "now you're in the endgame".  You could think of them as not having an endgame at all, or alternatively, as soon as you've completed whatever tutorials are available, you're in the endgame.  (But not in the bad sense!)  But regardless, there isn't a rush to skip everything and get to the endgame so that you can start complaining about how terrible endgames are like there is in WoW.






     

    Tried Puzzle Pirates last night, went through all the Tutorials and such. I don't think it really is my cup of tea though. The puzzles aren't my thing :)

     

     






    Originally posted by AvsRock21

    Another game, similar to EVE in a few ways, but far more accessible, is Pirates of the Burning Sea. You can be successful with the economy without leveling up too far. The leveling is themepark, because you go from port to port picking up quests. But the endgame is far more sandbox. Endgame is all about port battles (technically RvRvRvR, Spanish v British v French v Pirates) and the economy. All ships (except your 'fallback') are created by players. And it takes coordination from many players to successfully build ships.








    Currently looking into Pirates of the Burning Sea. Not sure if I like the restrictions on free to play accounts, perhaps I try out the game and see if I pay to lose most restrictions.

    Is the game active?

     

    And what about Ragnarok Online?

    last i played potbs it had 4 servers up still, 2 of which had heavy on all factions (and has been that way a while)

    the captains club membership is basically paying a $15 montly fee. this gives you more dockyard space for more ships, better exp, and a few other things, although the big one is the dockyard space.

    what you can do is, just subscribe for one month then unsub and u get all the dockyard slots permanently, and a month of exp bonus, gold bonus, and other lil things to help u get going.

    the economy is totally player driven.

    i played it for a while and had alot of fun while i did, ill never forget stealin another players ship for the first time as a pirate, give it a shot its a nice change of scenary. (just avoid the red =O)

     

  • GTwanderGTwander San Diego, CAPosts: 6,035Member

    EVE and UWO are by far the best economic simulators, but there is a place for resource gathering in Fallen Earth, and I'll be damned if it actually isn't kinda fun. Lot's of people will attest that a simple stop to scavange some items turns into an invested treasure hunt, and people do buy the stuff all the time, but it's generally not worth the amount of effort put in (imo).

    I like Face of Mankind too, but it's surely in a heavy lull, and it's resource gathering and crafting sucks because you can't leave the planet you're working on and it's all timed. So you have to find something else to do entirely... kinda sucks, and you can be jumped if you have your made stuff on you and have it taken - but you have to be a lot smarter about transporting things in that game - especially if you're in the BoS faction. Amazing game, no lie, but it's because the factions that determine player roles make for incredible interactions with others. RPer's dream, but not so much for crafters... but sales can be much more hands-on. Just don't try to sell drugs to the cop faction without having years worth of clout backing you up, they will arrest you on sight on any of their planets.

    Writer / Musician / Game Designer

    Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

  • vladwwvladww La provencePosts: 416Member Uncommon

    EVE or UWO yup

    quite similar games actually, one in space , one at sea

    ****************************
    Playing : Uncharted Waters Online
    ****************************

Sign In or Register to comment.