Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Are Warhammer and Warhammer 40k related?

2»

Comments

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Garkan

Originally posted by Shmaw
    Yes, if you know your lore, the warhammer world DOES exist somewhere in the 40k universe.  Here's a brief explaination why:

-  The lore in the warhammer world involves a race of "old ones" with portal technology that taught the elves magic.
    -  The old ones brought the lizardmen into the world.  It's entirely possible that they brough the other races in as well.  This lore was explained in one of the old army books as I recall.  They did this in an effort to combat chaos.  Didn't work.
    -  Chaos eventually caught up with the old ones, and took over the portal they had used to get to that world.  That's why the high elves had to create a "drain" effect on their island, to prevent their world from being swallowed by chaos.

So all in all, I want my space dwarves.  I mean, they are so short, everyone would just shoot over them right?
    GW have refuted all of the (mostly fan made) stories about how the 40k world is in a bottle on a wizards shelf in warhammer or how the Warhammer world is isolated by a warp storm in the 40k world and the rest of them and state they are completly seperate and just use the same inspiration.

It's entirely feasible that the Warhammer fantasy world is the start of the Warhammer 40k universe, just 40k years earlier.

I don't thinks anything at all to support this in lore, other than it's possible. 40k years is a very long time in regards to cultures and races.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• FeydiirFeydiir Member UncommonPosts: 26

They are not the same.  They make references in the books to our past and present, to be more specific, nations.  I know for sure they mentioned Egypt, but the spellings are always different, because it's from a long lost time.  The Fantasy Warhammer has a different world and geography than the 40k one.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by Garkan

Originally posted by Shmaw

Yes, if you know your lore, the warhammer world DOES exist somewhere in the 40k universe.  Here's a brief explaination why:

-  The lore in the warhammer world involves a race of "old ones" with portal technology that taught the elves magic.

-  The old ones brought the lizardmen into the world.  It's entirely possible that they brough the other races in as well.  This lore was explained in one of the old army books as I recall.  They did this in an effort to combat chaos.  Didn't work.

-  Chaos eventually caught up with the old ones, and took over the portal they had used to get to that world.  That's why the high elves had to create a "drain" effect on their island, to prevent their world from being swallowed by chaos.

So all in all, I want my space dwarves.  I mean, they are so short, everyone would just shoot over them right?

GW have refuted all of the (mostly fan made) stories about how the 40k world is in a bottle on a wizards shelf in warhammer or how the Warhammer world is isolated by a warp storm in the 40k world and the rest of them and state they are completly seperate and just use the same inspiration.

It's entirely feasible that the Warhammer fantasy world is the start of the Warhammer 40k universe, just 40k years earlier.

I don't thinks anything at all to support this in lore, other than it's possible. 40k years is a very long time in regards to cultures and races.

Except that in fluff the 40k world is in our future, the differance races are just aliens and the psychic evoloution of humans is well over 10,000 years into the future.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• DreawingDreawing Member Posts: 362

only cool thing about the warhammer 40k universe compared to all IP like starcraft and warcraft and diffrences that no one else does is that...

the 40k universe implies fantasy based combat with the use of guns to the combat.

because 65% percent of the models have swords or some melee type weapon with there guns but 35% of the models have guns only.

When you read the books to . Usually 100% of the time they use there guns then pretty much go into melee combat in 15 seconds after using there guns.

pretty much 85% percent of the kills in the book revolve around a sword or axe to the face and ripping his head off with the melee weapon or tearing his leg off with an axe.

every race is very good in close combat besides tau and couple other models like necron warriors or eldar dark reapers.

that why 40k implies fantasy style wars very well to a future setting compared to other ips that are sci fi. exp star wars, starship troopers and starcraft. etc.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

They are set in the same universe, orcs in warhammer fantasy are spores that come from space. They have the same chaos gods so obviously its the same universe...some say warhammer fantasy is the future because slaanesh is actually born in the 40k universe and is worshipped in warhammer fantasy and has always existed.

Slaanesh came into existence during the time in the 30th Millennium the Eldar call the Fall. He was born from the Warp-reflection of the decadence and hedonism of the Eldar race at the height of their own interstellar empire.

• SpallieroSpalliero Member Posts: 147
    OP:

Same universe 40k years apart.

Sic Luceat Lux

Why do people insist they are in the same universe? Gamesworkshop retconned the Black Library book(s) that connected them. The recent fluff, all the recent fluff makes it very clear that the 40k universe is our universe 40,000 years into our future.

I challenge anyone to back up any claims of connection with some cannon proof that hasnt been retconned.

Currently playing:

Gravity Rush,

Company of Heroes II.

• NonderyonNonderyon Member UncommonPosts: 189

Who know about the two game they know Warhammer and Warhammer 40k not related any part of it,  the two are different universe...

Yes the gods and races are almost the same, but different how they born...etc.

• freakishbeanfreakishbean Member UncommonPosts: 176

The way I remember hearing about it, is that the 40k is indeed *our* future, but the Warhammer Fantasy world is a seperate world entirely, and it is set on a planet that is surrounded by impenetrable warp storms, hence no races are able to travel there.

Needing is Wanting...
    Wanting is Coveting...
    Coveting is Sinning...
    I am SO going to Hell.

Originally posted by freakishbean

The way I remember hearing about it, is that the 40k is indeed *our* future, but the Warhammer Fantasy world is a seperate world entirely, and it is set on a planet that is surrounded by impenetrable warp storms, hence no races are able to travel there.

Games Workshop did indeed flirt with that concept, Sigmar was one of the lost primarchs etc. They even had TT units from 40k make guest apperances in Warhammer games at events.

However GW retconned it and dropped back to the "they share the same inspiration" concept.

Currently playing:

Gravity Rush,

Company of Heroes II.

• StMichaelStMichael Member Posts: 183

Up until the end of 2nd edition, Games Workshop went with the idea of 40k being a continuation of Warhammer Fantasy set 40 thousand years in the future. After that, they retconned and started gearing the setting more towards it's own stand-alone IP. They still share some things like the Chaos Gods, Orks etc, but all the potential connections between the two were rendered strictly non-cannon as far as Games Workshop is concerned.