Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I play LOTRO?

2»

Comments

• obiiobii Member UncommonPosts: 804

Go try it!

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

If you are playing the game based on story and lore, than you might want to play the better mmo   SWTOR

• TypososTyposos Member UncommonPosts: 39

yes play it , i played more than 10 mmorpg and i see lotro its one of the best ! i love his pve .

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Originally posted by eddieg50

If you are playing the game based on story and lore, than you might want to play the better mmo   SWTOR

lol, i was going to post the opposite - that it's like SWTOR, only with a world and story that actually make sense (largely). 

i guess it's a matter of taste, the story in TOR is aimed at the average age of about 4, which is lucas' usual target audience.

but anyhow, it's still a good game and pretty much only game other than EVE that i come back to on a regular basis even though it's not my full time MMO.

however, given that the OP doesn't like reading and didn't like the story-driven TOR, i wouldn't recommend playing LoTRO>

If you like PvP and don't like to read, i suggest AION or AoC, they're more PvP focused games. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

Originally posted by arieste

Originally posted by eddieg50

lol, i was going to post the opposite - that it's like SWTOR, only with a world and story that actually make sense (largely). 

i guess it's a matter of taste, the story in TOR is aimed at the average age of about 4, which is lucas' usual target audience.

+1

• leinad312leinad312 Member UncommonPosts: 319

My only major complaint with the game is that Turbine is horrendously slow at fixing bugs. For instance, the Runekeeper trait line bonuses were broken for nearly two years. I think they only just fixed it in the most recent expansion.

Playing - FFXIV,  ESO
    Played - FFXI, WoW, Lineage 2, Guild Wars, Aion, SWToR, LotRO, GW2, TERA, Rift, ArcheAge, TSW

• AdrianBLBAdrianBLB Member Posts: 8

Firstly, it's free to play. Give it a try. If you're a fan of Tolkien or LoTR in general, you'll definitely like in terms of the locations, graphics and lore. 

• DarhammDarhamm Member UncommonPosts: 68

Should you try it? Yes. Hell yes.

• MorrowbreezeMorrowbreeze Member CommonPosts: 141

If there is anyone who likes to play a little more casual style and would love to get into rp, this game shines.

If someone would like to social network their toons with others who enjoy the Tolkien setting, this game shines again.

The music system, the horse owning and the outfit (wardrobe) system rocks for those who want a second passtime from questing and fighting.

The questing is generally first class up to Moria. After that some thnk the game has gone down hill. I dont think that way myself.

PVP or PVMP is not as robust as some like, but hey,  many do llike it.

What might make the game better is :

Different legendary weapon system

Character graphics updating

Less themepark-linear. But this game follows a storyline that  cannot be changed to any large degree.

A couple more class skills availability.

Finally, this game is not for all types of players. Some love fast twitchy gameplay and others look for thier own niches. this game fits certain player styles very well and not much can be done about that.

• BereKinBereKin Member Posts: 287

It is a good game, you should give it a try. Thats the best way to see if this game is for you.

If you like Rp and story based lore, you will like it, and  its PvE oriented mmo, not PvP (but there is some PvP in the game, its called monster play). It is more slow paced game, so if you like to immerse yourself in lore and character and dont like leveling to max lev in few days or nonstop grind, this could be mmo for you.

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

I'd say yes if you have not.It really has a certain charm. I'd say yes to the same question about Rift or AoC (for example) too. 

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

i didnt like Lotro enough to stick with it. I loved the movies, but the game is just not as good as the movies. Plus i didnt like any of the classes in the game (how they were implemented) but thats just me

Try it for yourself and decide.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735

play the game and make up your own mind for god sake!

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Originally posted by rojo6934

i didnt like Lotro enough to stick with it. I loved the movies, but the game is just not as good as the movies. Plus i didnt like any of the classes in the game (how they were implemented) but thats just me

Try it for yourself and decide.

I can understand a Tolkein purist not liking some of the classes (LM & RK for example). From a game play perspective I have quite enjoyed playing various classes, they  are different enough and well enough rounded to be interesting playing alts.

• MizakoMizako Member Posts: 31

I'm an absolute Tolkien fan and freak, but goddamn I can't play Lotro. Its boring, boring, boring!

Why did they make characters look so ugly? They call that distorded manly creature female elf? LOL. Human female? WTF, its a crocodile, a freak. I put alot in character customization, but how can such a solid game give such primitive and fugly looking models with minimum  option to customize.

Customization is awful, animation is awful.  Quests are boring, not worthy to read. In game shop! Guys, that shop is bigger than in all ftp games I ever tried! 

The only thing I liked are landscapes, really nice and elaborated, especially with day/night changes.

I gave this game already a second chance after a year break, still it did not hook me.

Poor me, cause I really  would love to play a Tolkien based universe in MMO. But Lotro, nty.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Its free to try, and if you are a Tolkien fan there are some cool easter eggs in the game. Gameplay wise, I got bored halfway through leveling to the new cap for Mirkwood. The combat is just too dull for my liking. But lots of people love it.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

It's worth trying.  I'm not sure how long you can play without grinding for Turbine Points or buying conetn packs from the store.  Hopefully you can play free long enough to get a feel for the game.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

Is there a way to download the game without using that "thing" called Pando Media Booster?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• AerigAerig Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by fivoroth

Is there a way to download the game without using that "thing" called Pando Media Booster?

PMB, last I knew, actually does help download the game much faster.

However, I learned to my cost (literal finances here), that it is badly configured and will continue to share Lotro files from your machine until it is uninstalled.

I pay per the gigabyte of bandwidth so that cost me £126 british pounds before I realised that it was still happily using my bandwidth two months after the game had downloaded.

The solution is to uninstall Pando Media Booster immediately after you have LOTRO downloaded and running.

LOTRO the game is actually pretty fun (I have been playing MMORPG for over ten years now), but like so many MMO's today, its now aimed to suit the brainless kids that just want to play alone without ever learning to play with other people.

Nevertheless, in my experience, the player population is largely composed of adults and more intelligent younger people. People who are able to communicate.

I'd say, give the game a try. Its not hugely better than other games anymore but its also not hugely less than other games. Its still in the running.

LOTRO is a game that has always seemed to encourage civilised communication between real people. Thats still the case.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Originally posted by h0tangel99

I'm not sure whether I should play or not, because my friends say it's really boring and it sucks, but I've seen gameplay and it seems really fun. Plus, it's F2P.

Have any of you guys ever played it? Is it good? 

if you are just starting out it will definitely be fun for you, once you reach the level 40's it might get a little grindy, at max level if you don't have friends playing with you it might be a problem.

Personally i loved their original design before they added legacies to the store and poor expansion design for RoI. What they are doing now is simply horrible end game.

It was fun while it lasted tho. Loved the LM.

• SkuzSkuz Member UncommonPosts: 1,018

It's free to try it, now toddle off & try it for yourself nobody else has access to your personal experience of anything, I don't taste things exactly the same way you do.

Whatever the hell happened to self-determination?

• perrin82perrin82 Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Anyone notice that we,keep posting our suggestions, but the OP is long gone? Just found it funny.

As far as lotro, played since closed beta until last year because I did not like wb direction.