Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why don't people duel?

nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

I think out of 20+ people I find a person who would duel. It literally takes maybe a minute, actually less. But I never seem to find anyone want to duel even though we're same level.

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Hmm, I hate dueling and turn down all requests.  Dueling implies fair fights, and I suscribe to the motto of "if you ever find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it wrong"

Sorry, I only fight for cause/consequence and when I do fight, I try my best to make sure I win, even if I have to zerg you to death in the process. 

Otherwise your request is just interupting whatever "important" task I'm currently focused on and not worth the bother.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971

...because true pvp`er did quit already.

• nomssnomss Member UncommonPosts: 1,468

Originally posted by Kyleran

Hmm, I hate dueling and turn down all requests.  Dueling implies fair fights, and I suscribe to the motto of "if you ever find yourself in a fair fight, you're doing it wrong"

Sorry, I only fight for cause/consequence and when I do fight, I try my best to make sure I win, even if I have to zerg you to death in the process. 

Otherwise your request is just interupting whatever "important" task I'm currently focused on and not worth the bother.

WoW.... What?

• stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394

I rarely ever duel unless its with people I know or a good friend....because:

1. If I lose...the other player usually has some childish remark to say when they win

or

2. If I win...the other player usually has some childish remark to say....or keeps challenging me until they win.

Duels and PVP are not the same to me.....I feel when someone initiates a duel, its to try and prove something....a total ePeen fest.  If your into duels you should be on a PVP server, always ask before sending a request, and never gloat or put down another player who may not be into things the way you are. 

I despise PVP because it brings out the nasty side of people, and I play games to have fun and a good time, not argue over who's the better player, or which class is OP at the moment.  I dont mind duels amongst friends though because I does help refine skills and when its among friends, theres never hard feelings on anyones part. 

I know this sounds carebearish, but I just find strangers to be assholes when it comes to this situation....I'd rather keep it among friends and keep the good times going.

...again, PVP and duels are different to me...maybe others feel the same way and this is why "most" turn you down?

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

I rarely duel. I decline 99% of the duel requests I receive. If I want to PVP, I know where to go. If im not in the PVP area, I have more important matters to attend to. That's how I tend to view it. Besides, I RP a Bounty Hunter, we don't work for free!

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

because most people dont accept random duel requests, which is what most duels are.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• ProfGetzProfGetz Member UncommonPosts: 182

Originally posted by stringboi

1. If I lose...the other player usually has some childish remark to say when they win

or

2. If I win...the other player usually has some childish remark to say....or keeps challenging me until they win.

Duels and PVP are not the same to me.....I feel when someone initiates a duel, its to try and prove something....a total ePeen fest.  If your into duels you should be on a PVP server, always ask before sending a request, and never gloat or put down another player who may not be into things the way you are. 

I despise PVP because it brings out the nasty side of people, and I play games to have fun and a good time, not argue over who's the better player, or which class is OP at the moment.  I dont mind duels amongst friends though because I does help refine skills and when its among friends, theres never hard feelings on anyones part. 

I know this sounds carebearish, but I just find strangers to be assholes when it comes to this situation....I'd rather keep it among friends and keep the good times going.

...again, PVP and duels are different to me...maybe others feel the same way and this is why "most" turn you down?

Actually, this says it better than I did. 

Every MMORPG is AWESOME, until it's released!
    I don't want a game so much as I want a WORLD!
    --
    o·pin·ion –noun
    1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
    2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Originally posted by nomss

WoW.... What?

i liked the 'jane' (firefly) version, "i'll kill anyone if i think their about to start a fair fight". image

imo Duelling is a cowards PvP.. while there can be reasonable reasons for having mock duels with friends (test gear or tactics prior to a PvP session etc)  imo, PvP is not so structured as to be just 1 on 1, truth to be told, unless there are 30 or 40+ people involved, its hardly worth the effort, PvP means different things to different people.. to me.. Duelling isnt one of them. image

• Greymantle4Greymantle4 Member UncommonPosts: 809

I refuse duels because they never ask me if I want to duel. They just spam the duel window over and over again. Most of the time I'm in the middle of something and it's rude to just do a blind duel request IMHO.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

Trinity MMORPGs are not balanced for 1v1 combat.  People who request duels are typically members of the few classes that fare well in 1v1, OR they know that you are a class that they fare well against.  For example, in WoW, rogues would always challenge casters to duels.  Hmmm...I wonder why.

I'm not really interested in scissors challenging me to a duel when I'm paper...now if rock challenges me, I'm all for it.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

It does get pretty annoying when I'm trying to do something--you know, play the game--and someone doing jumping jacks and backflips starts bouncing around my screen and bombards me with duel pop-ups.  Even if I enjoy dueling, that is definitely NOT going to make me want to duel you.  

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

or

Yeah, pretty much this.

I do recall a time in Aion when I accidentlaly clicked on "yes". I was so pissed as I was on my way to do something and hastily clicked the wrong button.

so I ended up pvp'ing this guy and was slaughtered. I couldn't believe it until I looked up his stats/gear and found he had all gold gear, all improved to the best that they could be improved. So essentiallyi he wasn't in it for a duel so much as to waste every player who accepted yes.

The only time I duel is with clan mates. Or when I make stupid mistakes.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Originally posted by Phry

WoW.... What?

i liked the 'jane' (firefly) version, "i'll kill anyone if i think their about to start a fair fight". image

imo Duelling is a cowards PvP.. while there can be reasonable reasons for having mock duels with friends (test gear or tactics prior to a PvP session etc)  imo, PvP is not so structured as to be just 1 on 1, truth to be told, unless there are 30 or 40+ people involved, its hardly worth the effort, PvP means different things to different people.. to me.. Duelling isnt one of them. image

Well, in all honestly, I'm not blessed with good hand-eye coordination, so pretty much I'm guarenteed to lose any duel that I'm challeged in "unless" I have some sort of advantage that will help change the outcome.  I'm really not interested in fighting a battle where I pretty much know the outcome going in, even if it would help inflate the ego of the other player.

So as I said, when I do decide to PVP (generally only if defending my guilds assets or territory) I try very hard to make sure the odds come out in my favor, one way or another.  So dueling just isn't my thing.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FierytexFierytex Member Posts: 20

The HBO series Game of Thrones has a great response to this:  When asked why he didn't participate in tournaments, Stark replies, "because I don't want people to know what I can do when I really fight them on a battlefield." 

• dpcollier128dpcollier128 Member Posts: 38

Dueling is a waste of my time in any MMO. I prefer to have a reason to fight; not just a random person proposing a duel.

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

bacause most lobbys are "non-dueling area" ????

• FreeBooteRFreeBooteR Member Posts: 333

Most duel initiaters know they will win because they only pick the people who they have a high degree of confidence they will win against. So they are cowards looking to preen their egos at the expense of people stupid enough to accept the duel.

Archlinux ftw

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

My guess is they are like me and find annoying arse hats spamming them with duel requests without saying a single word like "Hello!" or even, golly I don't know, actually ASK.

It's like some child poking you all day. People have shit to do and may very well be doing something they prefer right there and then. A little "Hey how you doing?" goes a long way.

You stay sassy!

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

Are you one of those folks that randomly pops out duel invites to people regardless what they're doing and without warning? I cannot stand those.

Meh...if we're waiting for others to show up for a 4 man I'll duel then to pass the time with whomever I'm waiting with.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• RaijukinRaijukin Member Posts: 63

or

^^^^^^^ said it best!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I dueled one guy one time and I'm done. I have a 100% win record and I'm sticking with it.

** edit **
    Also, just about the only people who ask me to duel are 10+ levels above me so I don't really see the point most of the time.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I think out of 20+ people I find a person who would duel. It literally takes maybe a minute, actually less. But I never seem to find anyone want to duel even though we're same level.

Well, there are 2 rreasons for people to duel in any game: reward (which include faction bonuses) or fun.

If no one duels that means they either need to offer some kind of either personal or faction reward or they need to make it more fun.

• IstafeinIstafein Member UncommonPosts: 70

Originally posted by FreeBooteR

Most duel initiaters know they will win because they only pick the people who they have a high degree of confidence they will win against. So they are cowards looking to preen their egos at the expense of people stupid enough to accept the duel.

This!

Also, declining a duel is almost reflexive for me at this point because as others have said, I'm usually doing something and that stupid freaking duel box popping up irritates the frick the outta me. I can't remember the last time anyone actually asked first.

“So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own." - Matthew 6-34

• EnoshEnosh Member Posts: 140

Originally posted by spizz

...because true pvp`er did quit already.

if only

• stayontargetstayontarget Member RarePosts: 6,519

Originally posted by Loke666

Well, there are 2 rreasons for people to duel in any game: reward (which include faction bonuses) or fun.

If no one duels that means they either need to offer some kind of either personal or faction reward or they need to make it more fun.

For me it depends on the type of game.   If the game is skill based then I duel quite a lot in order to practice,  If its a traditional tab-targeting game then I prefer to skip duels all together.

Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...