Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Awesome MMO 'Mounts'

13»

Comments

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I don't see how you can class a spaceship as a mount to be honest,you arecarried within in it not sitting on it.

But still i will go with mounts that you ride in MMOs.

For me like the more natural type of mounts,meaning animals rather than machanical type mounts.

So ill go with this first.

And then..

was wondering when the shadowhound would make an appearance..i was riding it tonight..think it was 50 quests or  something to get that when Vanguard was released..awsome..it looks fantastic.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Originally posted by GreenHell

I don't think any game could ever compare to the variety and coolness of SWG's mounts, vehicles and star ships.

That's how I feel too.  I had so many mounts and vehicles over the course of the game, including some multipassenger vehicles.  There were pretty awesome.

• bmorrisonbmorrison Member UncommonPosts: 19

BTW City of heroes had teleporting as a travel power long before Champions online, actually most of the stuff CO has CoH did first.  But considering the team that developed CO did CoH first that isn't suprising.

• MagterMagter Member Posts: 289

I'm surprised that the Chopper from WoW didn't get in.

But for me there was no mount that I was as attached to in any game than my wolf in Warhammer Online when playing a gobbo. IT WAS JUST TOO AWESOME!

Purpose in life is not to gain things, but experience. - Rover64dd

• LexinLexin Member UncommonPosts: 701

What no FFXIV Goobbue mount?

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

Here's what's on the menu next week, boys and girls:

1. 4 all-time coolest zones

2. 8 awesomest bestest quest givers

3. top 3.5 sweetest splash screens

4. top 9 uber credit reels

stay tuned!

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

I think that the X-51 Nether-Rocket is a much cooler looking rocket mount than the one on that list.

Nothing beats the nightmare from UO though. There is nothing like being attacked in PvP and watching your mount completely destroy the attacker. Those were the days...

• signal2noisesignal2noise Member Posts: 17
    My pick would be Rihanna IRL
  • MorovanatorMorovanator Member UncommonPosts: 26

I remember being a Galaxy Gunship pilot. When TR needed the outside clear, They would call out and we would roll deep with four fully loaded and manned GGs. We MADE the battles go inside. Had one night where we kept all four running in formation from hot spot to hot spot across multiple maps. We were in the air melting down all the BFRs, AMSs, Base gun turrets, Tower Turrets. Doing flyby re-loads for over two hours. TR was walking through everyone that night. When we were finally brought down, my ship and crew had been worth 52k xp. It was sick.

My tailgunner had so many kills that he got banned as a hacker.

Gunship Rain. I can hardly wait to get her back in the air.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

wow > the epic warlock mount is still amazing :3

chocobo from FFXI u never get tired of them "wark!"

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by kevjards

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I don't see how you can class a spaceship as a mount to be honest,you arecarried within in it not sitting on it.

But still i will go with mounts that you ride in MMOs.

For me like the more natural type of mounts,meaning animals rather than machanical type mounts.

So ill go with this first.

And then..

was wondering when the shadowhound would make an appearance..i was riding it tonight..think it was 50 quests or  something to get that when Vanguard was released..awsome..it looks fantastic.

Yeah,the shadowhound quests starts at level 22 right up to level 32,that's ten levels before you can actually ride it.

Their is also a level 45 version of the shadowhound that is ghostly and drops in The Plane Of Shadow version of Hillsbury Manor,excessable by walk ing through the mirror in the normal version of the dungeon.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I also like this mount,especially for a DarkElf Necro.

• CookieTimeCookieTime Member Posts: 353

What about a big ass sand wurm, that swallows you whole and lets you control it? Can't get much more awesome than that.. :P

Junundu

Eat me!

• Hyperion5182Hyperion5182 Member Posts: 66

It slightly annoys me that STO isnt getting any kind of mention here. I mean i get where people can not quite consider them 'mounts' but i'm sorry:

You get the chance to pilot iconic ships like the goddamned Defiant, Voyager, oh and lets not forget the Galaxy class, All good things, and Soverign class versions of the USS enterprise. Just WILD.

That being said. TOR has some secret mounts in its raids that might end up being more than just reskinnings.

• bugse82bugse82 Member UncommonPosts: 184

Originally posted by expresso

For me it's the mini spectral tiger in WoW  Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEYDQpBnRvQ LOL!  Stuff like this that Make WoW so much fun to be a part of, too many games are too serious.

• monarc333monarc333 Member UncommonPosts: 622

EQ2 has some great mounts too. What about Vanguard boats? SWTOR has some nice endgame speeders. Spectral tiger from WoW. The flying mechanical head from WoW. Theres so many out there.

• teakboisteakbois Member Posts: 2,154

The squirrel mounts in eq2 deserve mention for the ridiculousness of them, coupled with the fun mechanics of leapers and gliders

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Perfect Worlds flight implementation makes Aion's look rinky dink and it was available long before Aion's was.  Maybe you should expand your horizons a bit.

Lotro has some really fine horses that I find are one of the best implementations for horses.

I thought the Wow 2 person rocket mount was tacky, the 2 person elephant was much better

The best of the best was the different beasts you could ride in SWG.  I had a great time training them for people to ride.

• pristinapristina Member Posts: 4

Yes, it's not a "quirky" mount, nor did it introduce any groundbreaking features;

But how could we have a mount thread without mention of it :)

I still think Ashes of Al'ar is one of the most beautiful, elegant mounts I've seen in an MMO.

Plus it's bright orange-red colours really do contrast well with the rest of the (WoW) universe. It really does scream "look at me!" even from very far away.

And to cap it off, there is a touching story about the very first owner of this mount.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

This topic is annoying. Most players here only know about those buyable speedbuffs from themepark games. While in some games mounts are a lot more then that.

In SWG a bioengineer could clone animals and some of them could be turned into a mount. This was very immersive imo because you had to make your own bioengineering lab for this. Because this is a postNGE thing, not many players know about it. But also the preNGE taming was something different which made mounts more then just speedbuff.

The same goes for the vehicles in SWG. These were crafted by droid engineers. Or the starships that were crafted. In postNGE gunboats were added. Which were new starships (with interiors you could decorate), with storage, and with turrets that could be manned by your group. A complete group of 8 ppl could take part in spacecombat in one of those.

In this topic its clearly SWG > any MMO. The annoying part is that the official forums are down so I cant link to screenshots. So now even the simplest speedbuff mounts are listed here :/