Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning First Impressions Preview

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today marks an important day in the lives of 38 Studios and Big Huge Games with the release of Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. We've had the chance to play Reckoning for the past several days and have a comprehensive preview for you. Read on and then let us know what you think!

We’ve had the pleasant fortune of playing 38Studios’ first release, Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning over the past few days. Comparisons to Skyrim and the Elder Scrolls will abound, given that Ken Rolston (of TES fame) is heading the design team. But one area where Reckoning immediately exceeds Skyrim (in my eyes) is in its combat, which has more in common with Fable or God of War than anything else. While I’ve not had enough time to truly review it just yet (that’ll be next week), I thought we could at least give you some of our first impressions after several hours in R.A. Salvatore’s new world… in short? It’s absolutely stunning, riveting, and most of all: fun. This is a world we can all get lost in, and one I don’t want to leave for some time. But let’s get into the details, the ups and downs and what works and what doesn’t so far.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning First Impressions Preview.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

You can adjust camera settings and slow it down.

What I allso had to add that i miss ability to zoom closer or further.

But all in all , with all shortcommings - over 200 gameplay hours ! Wow !

Well worth the buy :)

• saltydog3saltydog3 Member Posts: 53

I can't sleep thinking about this game,.......LOL

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

lol  well already level 4 , the fate touched weapons may be a wee bit too powerful especially with all the other free items I got like sheperds armor, and some other weapons.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

I tried it but i didn't like it.Skyrim 100 times superior to this [Mod Edit]

• JakardJakard Member Posts: 415

I've only gotten through the demo but the game looks like a lot of fun. Skyrim is an awesome game and it's sort of unfair to compare the two titles, IMO.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by reignjuste

I tried it but i didn't like it.Skyrim 100 times superior to this [Mod Edit]

Overpriced yes. Asking way too much money for it sure. Charging console game prices for a PC game, very greedy. See where I'm going here?

Played about 4 hours so far. It's actually better than I though as far as the RPG and different ways of tweaking your character but I cannot stand the WoW circa 2005 graphics and art style. I have been shouted at in other forums that it is closer to fable 1 than WoW though. Still not impressed.

BTW it is WAAAAAAY overpriced ATM. Not sure if I said that.

EDIT: Oh yeah by the way it looks NOTHING like the SS posted on the OP. Every since the whole TOR "hi-rez textures was a bug" shit I have become very attuned to this!

[Mod Edit]

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I played the demo and i though the game was just 'okay' that's it.Now apparently the demo did not feature the proper build and graphic enhancements so i would ask SBFORD to show us on PC format what the graphic really look like.

Or was the excuse for the older build just another high rez cover up and the game is what it is on PC.Personally,the witcher 2 rains all over KOA,it really is a class above from story to graphics to combat.

KOA = alot of buttom mashing,yes the witcher 2 has button mashing but at least you can look good doing it.

Originally posted by Sylvarii

I played the demo and i though the game was just 'okay' that's it.Now apparently the demo did not feature the proper build and graphic enhancements so i would ask SBFORD to show us on PC format what the graphic really look like.

Or was the excuse for the older build just another high rez cover up and the game is what it is on PC.

No the SS posted look nothing like that in-game. If you like WoW-ish graphics or apperantly Fable 1 then you will be OK. I used the NVIDIA CP to tweak it some but it still is just OK in my book, but I am an admitted Graphics Whore so take that as you will.

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

Originally posted by Sorrow

lol  well already level 4 , the fate touched weapons may be a wee bit too powerful especially with all the other free items I got like sheperds armor, and some other weapons.

I guess I got lucky and found a Purple Chackra (SP?) that does nice damage before I got out of the Well of Souls part. I got something in the chest in Gorath but can't remember what it was.

• KostKost Member CommonPosts: 1,975

Originally posted by bartoni33

Charging console game prices for a PC game, very greedy.

It's the exact same game regardless of platform, there is nothing greedy about them charging the same price.

You people expect everything for free these days, it's sickening.

Originally posted by Kost

It's the exact same game regardless of platform, there is nothing greedy about them charging the same price.

No shit? That is what I'm saying. PC games should not be as high as console games. Console games are/were higher for a reason. Plus again this is not anywhere near worth the same amount of money as say Skyrim is. Now THAT was worth $60, but barely. I hate the fact that $60 seems to be the new price point for AAA PC games coming out. You should hate it too.

Free, no. A price worth the product, fucking A right I do!

• narakuunarakuu Member Posts: 348

Was looking forward to this game until I saw the grahpics style, tried the game anyway with the demo... was "meh" and I will probably not get this until its maybe 50-75% off.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

No shit? That is what I'm saying. PC games should not be as high as console games. Console games are/were higher for a reason. Plus again this is not anywhere near worth the same amount of money as say Skyrim is. Now THAT was worth $60, but barely. I hate the fact that $60 seems to be the new price point for AAA PC games coming out. You should hate it too.

Is no longer the case.

The reason why Console games used to be more expensive, is because at that time they games were sold on cartridges, which were a lot more expensive in production, than a CD/DVD format used with PC versions.

Now all consoles have shifted to the standard DVD/Bluray disc format and there is no longer a reason for the price difference.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    So lower the console price, not raise the pc price, 60 is to steep especially in a day where reviews are worth less than a pint of piss, remember what was said about swtor? Could have just said its a bust and kept your credentials. With that, its been a few months and skyrim is doing some neat things, that's where my 60 is going and only because I have a couple gift cards I need to use up.
  • kantseemekantseeme Member Posts: 709

you people think that there goin to lower the prices of stuff then raise it? and that goes for anything.

There are just to many people bitching these days.

• KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

You need to stop shopping at the crap stores then, it can be pre-ordered here in the UK for £29.99 which is the price PC games have released at for as long as i can remember. Blame the stores, not the developer.

As for the graphics, looks just like in the screenshot to me, not that even it looks that great. You do have to bear in mind that this was first being made as an MMO until the company was bought then development was converted to single player with a mind for an MMO in the future.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

The stylised graphics and dramatic sfx don't do it for me. Makes me feel like I'm playing Super Mario in 3D, lol.

I prefer the realistic and "boring" gfx styles used in games like Fallout and Skyrim, or Lotro and Fallen Earth, where the game world makes me feel as if it's "real", which is essential for my immersion in the game.

Originally posted by Kabaal

You need to stop shopping at the crap stores then, it can be pre-ordered here in the UK for £29.99 which is the price PC games have released at for as long as i can remember. Blame the stores, not the developer.

As for the graphics, looks just like in the screenshot to me, not that even it looks that great. You do have to bear in mind that this was first being made as an MMO until the company was bought then development was converted to single player with a mind for an MMO in the future.

you cant tell these people anything. there goin to continue to jump the gun and post without knowing anything.

btw would the pc version of the game be better to buy for gfx purposes? was thinking about getting it for the ps3.

• MacroHardMacroHard Member Posts: 104

Do spells/abilities all come from the "trees,"  or are there other sources?

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,963

Dudes ! Dudes !

- The game has over 200 hours gameplay worth of quests ( and that is mesured during quick play )

- Totally random loot system ala Diablo

- Sandbox gameplay

- RR Salvatore writen the story

And you complain about the price ?

Alas

What i find discusting is EA marketing comparing the game to Skyrim.

"Its better than Skyrim" the banner on this site says !!!

If they were smart , they should write "Its nothing like Skyrim"

Because :

1. Its not better than Skyrim

2. If I like Skyrim , than why should i play any other game ? Dont they know Construction Kit is being released.

Man these guys are so clueles

Anyway

KOA , great action RPG.

Not as good as Skyrim, but you can not play one game all the time !

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

Originally posted by Lobotomist

Dudes ! Dudes !

- The game has over 200 hours gameplay worth of quests ( and that is mesured during quick play )

- Totally random loot system ala Diablo

- Sandbox gameplay

- RR Salvatore writen the story

And you complain about the price ?

Alas

What i find discusting is EA marketing comparing the game to Skyrim.

"Its better than Skyrim" the banner on this site says !!!

If they were smart , they should write "Its nothing like Skyrim"

Because :

1. Its not better than Skyrim

2. If I like Skyrim , than why should i play any other game ? Dont they know Construction Kit is being released.

Man these guys are so clueles

Anyway

KOA , great action RPG.

Not as good as Skyrim, but you can not play one game all the time !

And the gaming sites who actually promote it for them,it's like they are trying to insult our intelligence.

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    The CE is more than 30 and it comes with a signed baseball I don't know where your getting 29.99 that's bogus
  • 77lolmac7777lolmac77 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    $60 is too much for PC games. I remember 6-8 years ago they were always 50. Then publishers saw console games could sell for 60 and copied that.

If you think $60 is a fair price for a game you are delusional, and probably dont understand why people pirate stuff like this
  • KabaalKabaal Member UncommonPosts: 3,042

Originally posted by KingofHartz

The CE is more than 30 and it comes with a signed baseball I don't know where your getting 29.99 that's bogus

Collectors Edition price has nothing to do with anything, they are always over-priced.

First store i checked... £29.99 http://www.gamestation.co.uk/gs/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-135778

Zavvi... £27.85 http://www.zavvi.com/games/platforms/pc/kingdoms-of-amalur-reckoning-pre-order-exclusive/10468940.html

Gamestop... £25.97 http://www.gamestop.co.uk/41684_PC_Kingdoms_Of_Amalur_Reckoning.aspx

If people want to buy them at places where they are more expensive then more fool them.