Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can there be improvement? or is it good as is?

HaukenHauken Member UncommonPosts: 649

As a player of SWTOR ive stated before that i feel this game is mediocre at best. And i can only see the game will entertain me for a few months. My highest lvl char is 37 a jedi counceler. And i found that the gameplay and story wasnt all that great. So i created a trooper and lost a bit of intrest at lvl 11!!!. I then made a jedi knight and went a bit on the dark side with him and found him a bit more entertaining than the two first. So dark side eh? I then went and created a BH my favourite profession from SWG. The story and abilities so far is much better than the others so far(But i hear that the BH story is bugged?) And im locked to the empire and no player bounties!!! I guess smugglers suffers from same.....

To be honest all in all the story telling just dont seem all that good to me. In conversations i choose one answer and get a response from my char that doesnt really seem to fit? Story seems shallow and not that interesting. Really the story telling in LOTRO, both main quests(books) and side quests entertains me a lot more, and that without VO.

So my question is. can future content be created so that players will have more power on how the War in Star Wars will evolve? Will new planets be wide open spaces that can be fought over? Space battles between players starfighters and/or capital ships?

With 100-200 mill invested in this there just got to be more....

Hauken Stormchaser
I want pre-CU back
Station.com : We got your game
Yeah?, Well i want it back!!!

Comments

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

Originally posted by Hauken

As a player of SWTOR ive stated before that i feel this game is mediocre at best. And i can only see the game will entertain me for a few months. My highest lvl char is 37 a jedi counceler. And i found that the gameplay and story wasnt all that great. So i created a trooper and lost a bit of intrest at lvl 11!!!. I then made a jedi knight and went a bit on the dark side with him and found him a bit more entertaining than the two first. So dark side eh? I then went and created a BH my favourite profession from SWG. The story and abilities so far is much better than the others so far(But i hear that the BH story is bugged?) And im locked to the empire and no player bounties!!! I guess smugglers suffers from same.....

To be honest all in all the story telling just dont seem all that good to me. In conversations i choose one answer and get a response from my char that doesnt really seem to fit? Story seems shallow and not that interesting. Really the story telling in LOTRO, both main quests(books) and side quests entertains me a lot more, and that without VO.

So my question is. can future content be created so that players will have more power on how the War in Star Wars will evolve? Will new planets be wide open spaces that can be fought over? Space battles between players starfighters and/or capital ships?

Welcome to the first iteration of an MMO.

eqnext.wikia.com

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Even those who didn't like the game seem to disagree here, it may not be as deep as some of Bioware's single-player games story wise, but IMO it's still good.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

If there's one thing I've learned over my MMO years it's this:

Never, ever judge the future of a MMO on promises, potential or possibility.

It is what it is and odds are it won't be much more either.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

Every game has room for improvement.

NGE, anyone? image

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

No offense but a lot of the things you are sad that aren't there were never intended to be there and you only expected them because you played SW:G.

Which I did too, it was fun, but SWTOR is not SW:G  they aren't even close to being similar games, save the fact that they are based in the same IP.

As far as I know the BH story is fine, I have one at 30, I have a few friends who are 50 BH's so I'm going to guess that BH's are not bugged.

Yeah its kinda werid Smugglers and BH's are faction locked, I personally think they should have made them have to pick which faction they were a member of at level 10 or something...

It doesn't really fit the game they were trying to make though...

• ComplicationComplication Member Posts: 209

The only improvements that BW can make to the game is stability and hopefully bug fixes. The classes are the way they are and they wont change.  The stories are lame as hell, my community college writing class can produce better plots than what is in game now.

I seriously doubt they will change anything that is already set in stone like classes and their stories.  Player bounty's, not going to happen.  They can barely get their own UI to work properly, so trying to program a system like swg player bounties is NOT going to happen.

Republic players have and always will be not happy with how their faction plays and feels during the leveling process.  Empire looks better, plays cooler, and has the better story lines.

I bet you a million credits that the only thing BW adds to improve the game is more dungeons/raids and maybe a few more warzone maps, but even those will take months and months and months.

New races? forget it! New classes? FORGET IT!  Different paths for classes to take on their linear railroad quests? FORGET IT!!!

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Things can always be better. Not necessarily within time and money constraints though.

As far as new content goes, they have a lot of empty space in their map of the galaxy. They could certainly add new planets, new cities on existing planets, etc. If they were going to focus on PvP improvements, I would think they'd need to get Ilum fully situated first though. Get something worked out for the faction imbalances and get the whole area attractive to both dedicated and casual PvP players. Then add some more PvP planets.

For PvE content, I would love to see more story lines, on new planets or existing planets as an alternate advancement path like the PvP and PvE raids. Since the stories are at max level, you have variations in the story lines with story branches and variable outcomes.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Originally posted by Complication

New races? forget it! New classes? FORGET IT!  Different paths for classes to take on their linear railroad quests? FORGET IT!!!

New races would be hilariously easy for them to add in.  New classes not so much.  Horrizontal content?  yeah thats possible, look at AoC's ex pack, they added in a lot of side areas to level through starting at level 20.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

The PVP does need a lot of work. Huttball gets boring after the third or fourth time in a row. I just want a place that I can always go to to mix it up with the other side when I feel like it. Screw the sports. I want to fight in a war.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BarakIIIBarakIII Member Posts: 800

Sorry, I just don't buy the part highlighted in orange. I also play Lotro and the stories, especially of side quests, are mediocre AT BEST. I think TOR stories are much better. What pulls me in in Lotro is the world itself, and the crafting which I like a lot. I'm not saying that the storires in TOR are prize winning stories and that can be said of any of Bioware games including the Mass Effect series which is my favorite series of all time. What makes stories so entertaining in gaming is their interactivity. While the main plot is always the same there's always small differences in each play through depending on the choices you make that makes these games worth while to me.

To answer your question posted in the title of the thread, yes there can be improvement. MMOs by their nature are always evolving. This doesn't always lead to improvement, but it can.

As to the question you actually posted in your post, the answer is no. The main plot will always be the same, there will only be small differences depending on your choices. If that's not enough for you then perhaps this game and others like it simply aren't for you. But tell me something, why would you expect such control? You certainly don't get it in Lotro nor in any other MMO, yet you seem to expect things to be so much different in TOR, why?

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Likely you will have as much control of how your story in SWTOR will evolve as a roller coaster passenger has in determining which way to go. 

Even if they add in some more track, you're still going to have to stay on the rails and go where the designers plan on taking you, in the order that they mean for you to take.

I prefer MMO's that ride more like the bumper cars.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

Originally posted by Kyleran

Likely you will have as much control of how your story in SWTOR will evolve as a roller coaster passenger has in determining which way to go. 

Even if they add in some more track, you're still going to have to stay on the rails and go where the designers plan on taking you, in the order that they mean for you to take.

I prefer MMO's that ride more like the bumper cars.

Exactly. If you purchase a game that dictates the story to you, don't expect to write the ending. image

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• DaRoamerDaRoamer Member Posts: 249

Originally posted by Complication

The only improvements that BW can make to the game is stability and hopefully bug fixes. The classes are the way they are and they wont change.  The stories are lame as hell, my community college writing class can produce better plots than what is in game now.

I seriously doubt they will change anything that is already set in stone like classes and their stories.  Player bounty's, not going to happen.  They can barely get their own UI to work properly, so trying to program a system like swg player bounties is NOT going to happen.

Republic players have and always will be not happy with how their faction plays and feels during the leveling process.  Empire looks better, plays cooler, and has the better story lines.

I bet you a million credits that the only thing BW adds to improve the game is more dungeons/raids and maybe a few more warzone maps, but even those will take months and months and months.

First MMO?

• korent1991korent1991 Member UncommonPosts: 1,364

This game has room for improvement on every aspect. Story can be boring sometimes and feels like it's pointless to do what you're doing right now since you were given a completley different task from your master. So story tree isn't actually good. Graphics is pathetic out of the conversation, what it means: there is no high resolution textures out side of the conversation because they still didn't enabled that. AA is apsolute disaster and when you activate it on "high" it still seems like you didn't do anything with AA. They didn't do anything on balancing classes in PVP so you can find yourself in a situation where you can't kill  a player because he's a trooper and you're a jaggernaut or some crap like that. PVP brackets (there's only bracket for 10-49 and lvl 50). Bug fixing, it's like they're ignoring it. We make bug tickets all the time, they simply just ignore it. For 2 patches they didn't fix most o the bugs in pvp and outside of it. There's still issues with shadows on high settings and ATi cards (mostly the older ones 3xxx, and some of the 4xxx series)... Not to mention they made so many group quests but server population dropped so suddenly after the 1st month it's impossible to find a group for most of them if you're unlucy and find yourself on a dead server suddenly where planet population is around 30-40 at it's peak and fleet has around 100 players at best.  Not to even mention lack of end game (high level) content. 

If they don't fix most of this things soonish, I think it'll be the doom of this game. Especially the lack of high lvl content. 

"Happiness is not a destination. It is a method of life."
    -------------------------------

• SorrowSorrow Member Posts: 1,195

Anything can improve...

Look at almost every game out there and you see improvement over time.

Age of Conan for example is an incredibly good game now, and at launch it was horrible..

However AoC kinda exemplfies what I have been saying about SWTOR.

Gamers have changed, there are so many choices out there that we have become impatient and less forgiving.

You have ONE chance, and if you do not give us your very best effort on launch day, you miss that chance.

Gamers are like nomads, if the watering hole isn't pure and sweet, the trees loaded with fruit, and bountiful game all about, we pack up our tents and move on to the next grazing land. Some of the tribe may wander back from time to time but the core of the tribe keeps moving to newer and greener pastures.

SWTOR had it's chance, it blew it, the core of the tribe has moved on.

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Originally posted by Sorrow

You have ONE chance, and if you do not give us your very best effort on launch day, you miss that chance.

Gamers are like nomads, if the watering hole isn't pure and sweet, the trees loaded with fruit, and bountiful game all about, we pack up our tents and move on to the next grazing land. Some of the tribe may wander back from time to time but the core of the tribe keeps moving to newer and greener pastures.

SWTOR had it's chance, it blew it, the core of the tribe has moved on.

Pretty much agree with this.

...and I have no idea what it is going to take for companies to understand this concept. They simply do not seem to get it and think they can launch games like they did back in the day. That's okay though. I'm not the one that has to answer to investors or employees they eventaully downsize when things don't go as they expect afterwards.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

I would say that if you already like the game, exactly the way it is, yes, it will most likely improve in that direction its already been taken.  They'll be adding more of what's already there for a while, at least.  Maybe even a long time, if the game does well enough.

OTOH, if you don't like the game, and hope to see really game-changing improvements, then no, almost definately not.  With the game they've created, the devs have made it clear what their priorities are, and its pretty logical to assume that unless the lead dev is fired and they're forced to pull an NGE, that's where their priorities will always be.  There's also a sort of momentum involved, with the game being developed the way that it has - its a lot easier to keep making content it was already designed for, than to start adding entirely new systems into it, and that goes for all sorts of things, from the way they've done PvP, to the way they've done character models and animations.  Don't expect much, and definately don't expect it any time soon.

In my experience, that goes for all MMOs, really.  For a number of reasons, any improvements they make will generally just be more of the same.. not counting utterly broken unfinished games like STO or AoC, but that clearly doesn't apply here. TOR might not be finished the way you want it to be, but it does very much appear to be working as intended.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• xxcomaxxxxcomaxx Member Posts: 27

This game is complete and total garbage after you hit 50. Until then, it's ok but nothing special, and definitely not "revolutionary" as Bioware has claimed over the past 3 years. Our entire guild and usubed with no plans on going back. We've got our sites focused on Tera atm, and also Archeage.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

If you're seriously interested in the question, check back in every six months,

The dev's staffs certainly big enough.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• Zlayer77Zlayer77 Member Posts: 826

I dont think you will see much change.. accept more BGs... and raids.. both static things most of us have done to death by now.. (heads-up Bioware this is not 2004...

Gear grind is old school nobody wants to be doing it in 2012...  Also for gear grind to work you need Hardcore players,  that Inspire the casuals to strive harder.. and I cant see any Hardcore guilds sticking with SWTOR... its just 2 casual...

The PVP looks to be an afterthought also, so you wont get anny serious PvPers playing the game...

The hole things feels bland and Midiocre and nobody wants to play avrage JOE... there are no braging rights in it. You need elit players to Inspire the masses.. BIOWARE missed this fact... I read on the offical forums that SWTOR is filled with people who cant play their classes... The reason for this is that only avrage joe casual is still playing it. And with nobody to look up 2 he will soon lose interest..

Competition is what drives MMOS.. be it for getting the best gear before anyone ells or smashing people in PvP... but SWTOR loosk to be way to casual for anny healthy competetion to grow..

Game will be the same with more of the same One year from now.. I predict free to play in the future..

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Originally posted by Zlayer77

I dont think you will see much change.. accept more BGs... and raids.. both static things most of us have done to death by now.. (heads-up Bioware this is not 2004...

Gear grind is old school nobody wants to be doing it in 2012...  Also for gear grind to work you need Hardcore players,  that Inspire the casuals to strive harder.. and I cant see any Hardcore guilds sticking with SWTOR... its just 2 casual...

The PVP looks to be an afterthought also, so you wont get anny serious PvPers playing the game...

The hole things feels bland and Midiocre and nobody wants to play avrage JOE... there are no braging rights in it. You need elit players to Inspire the masses.. BIOWARE missed this fact... I read on the offical forums that SWTOR is filled with people who cant play their classes... The reason for this is that only avrage joe casual is still playing it. And with nobody to look up 2 he will soon lose interest..

Competition is what drives MMOS.. be it for getting the best gear before anyone ells or smashing people in PvP... but SWTOR loosk to be way to casual for anny healthy competetion to grow..

Game will be the same with more of the same One year from now.. I predict free to play in the future..

That's just waaaay off, the most successful games out there are games that focus on people playing alone, occassionally running into someone, decorating stuff, get 'likes'... Browser, Facebook, F2P anyone?

Wanna know what the dinosaur mentality really is?  - Competetive gameplay.

I think that market is pretty much saturated and shrinking. What SWTOR tries, and 1.7 mil subs retained kinda fortifies this, is to dig into the mass market of people not giving a damn about their "bragging rights" but about 'cool, I've got 3 hours per week entertain me!'...

I think the future market is casual gamers, at least in the MMO sector. Because all hardcore-gamers have already been customers in the industry for decades now and there are only so many new ones growing into it.

M

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

Originally posted by Meridion

That's just waaaay off, the most successful games out there are games that focus on people playing alone, occassionally running into someone, decorating stuff, get 'likes'... Browser, Facebook, F2P anyone?

Wanna know what the dinosaur mentality really is?  - Competetive gameplay.

I think that market is pretty much saturated and shrinking. What SWTOR tries, and 1.7 mil subs retained kinda fortifies this, is to dig into the mass market of people not giving a damn about their "bragging rights" but about 'cool, I've got 3 hours per week entertain me!'...

I think the future market is casual gamers, at least in the MMO sector. Because all hardcore-gamers have already been customers in the industry for decades now and there are only so many new ones growing into it.

M

Facebook, the biggest MMO of them all.

• StSynnerStSynner Member Posts: 123

Improvements that will save this game:

1. 3rd faction. Mandalorians maybe?

2. Different playable races. I'm thinking Wookie's, Jawa's and Droid's.

3. Full scale bi-weekly invasions of different worlds that your faction can "own" for different bonuses. 

4. PvP in space Dogfights.

5. Cross server queues or server merges

6. Lower the global cooldown on skills making the combat faster.

7. Give us an actual REASON to want to craft. Right now it's utterly useless.

8. Give PvP stats to all levels starting at 10 and teir the levels.

Except I play MMOs and RPGs to be immersed in the world, not because of some competition with other players.  I don't give a rats ass that someone spent 50 hours getting some piece of uber gear and I don't PVP.

If you like Bioware games you like them for the story and that's the thing I love most about this game.  I've become attached to my character and to my companions and to my friends in game.  If they keep adding story driven content and "fluff" content like collectables, housing, decorating and expand on crafting and modding gear I'll be subbed for a long time.

Not everone shares the same tastes as you or has the same definition of what an MMO should be.  Not only that, people are allowed to have varied tastes in games.  I can enjoy SWTOR but still yearn for a great sandbox game because that's going to give me a different experience.  Who wants to play the same type of game over and over?

Originally posted by StSynner

Improvements that will save this game:

1. 3rd faction. Mandalorians maybe?

2. Different playable races. I'm thinking Wookie's, Jawa's and Droid's.

3. Full scale bi-weekly invasions of different worlds that your faction can "own" for different bonuses. 

4. PvP in space Dogfights.

5. Cross server queues or server merges

6. Lower the global cooldown on skills making the combat faster.

7. Give us an actual REASON to want to craft. Right now it's utterly useless.

8. Give PvP stats to all levels starting at 10 and teir the levels.

3, 4 and 7 are already being worked on.  Well, at  least in regards to 3 they've already said they are working on having dynamic events happen in the world, whether that's invasions or someting else we don't know yet.

Agree with 1 and 2.

Disagree with 5 and 6.