Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness: CCP’s Plans to Dominate 2012

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919

Originally posted by winter

After what 6+ years they are still working on "Flying in space" in Eve.

That's what an MMORPG is about though, improving and expanding upon the game over time.  If they had just released it and never touched the space parts again, well, that'd be stupid.

• baritone3kbaritone3k Member Posts: 223

"Dominate" was the reporter's word. Don't hold CCP to that.

Someone please make a good MMO.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053

Originally posted by JeroKane

Originally posted by Master10K

Originally posted by reignjuste

World of darkness seems very interesting especially if they implement new gen ccp physics that we saw some years before.

Yeah, I wonder if we'll see anything like this in WoD.

Don't hold your hopes up. Being able to get that kind of detail in an MMO is still many years away.

Just fire up EVE Online and check out your Captains quarters. That is pretty much the detail and animation you can expect right now.

That video is just Technology demo. Nothing more.

lol...

your captian's quarters are an instances.. they are not real, (a fake room). Any amount of graphics or detail can be added, because everything within them are controlled by Devs. You cannot have 50 un-invited textures apear on your screen.

Same as with entering a station... you don't really enter it, you "zone into" a web page. With a 3dim viewable apsect of your ship. U don't actually fly around the station and find an open bay door and land and get out.

That^ will be PlanetSide2 and because it will be a seemless world & textures (as a whole) will have be less, just to accomindate ALL OF EVERYONE< OR ANYONE who might enter your field of view... because the Dev's cannot control such things in MMORPG's.

That is why MMORPG's (on average) cannot have the same level of detail as a single player game, or a multi-player game with levels/maps (ie: BF3).

These limitations will drastically change in the neer  future with 8gb ram & video cards with 2~3GB of VRAM, DX11, etc..

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345

WoD release date please.

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486

I think that BioWare's treatment of SWTOR demonstrates that the only serious way to design an MMORPG successfully around a well known IP is to first dedicate yourself and your team to copying WoW as much as possible, sacrificing your IP wherever you need to, to accomodate the holy trinity and an end consisting entirely of grinding out gear for both PvE and PvP.  I hope clan Tremere have a good healing spec available to them!

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Heh , do your homeworks people , you think CCP is only stationned in Iceland? They got a whole dedicated team in North America (Georgia to be precise) working on WoD.   Of course they are mostly working on Dust 514 atm , once that's out of the way ,WoD will be kicking in high gear.

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

Lost all respect for CCP with the dismantling of Incarna EVE.

No interest in their products now.

• RoyalkinRoyalkin Member UncommonPosts: 267

I have a lot of respect for CCP, especially as they are bucking the trend by not building themepark turds, and maintaning a sandbox, when even the term is considered 'evil'. World of Darkness presents a lot of fun gameplay potential for me as I'm not the type of gamer than is fond of endlessly bashing hordes of monsters. I love the socio-political aspect of Eve, and CCP has stated on many occassions that this is the chief focus for World of Darkness - another virtual world where players and player society makes the rules and enforces them.

However with that said, if they choose to riddle World of Darkness with microtransactions, I will not touch this game, and I suspect many people who were at first interested in it will feel similarly.

• FindarielFindariel Member UncommonPosts: 222

The engine for high end models in EVE was a complete failure. They decided to put it on low priority. I don't see them make WoD anytime soon without exploding graphics cards, really.

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111

about WoD just hope it will not be another swtor!!!

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Huh? So first I hear about World of Darkness being developed by a skeleton crew and now I hear that it is in fact being given the love and care it deserves, with some small parts of the game being playable.

I'll be excercising cautious optimism on this title, whilst I wait for some gameplay footage this year.

“We have a kick ass ninja-team focused on the game.”

That explains it. They hired ninjas. They are awesome. Thats a lot better then a crew of skeletons.

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

When CCP adds Werewolf the Apocalypse to WoD then I'll be interested. However with CCP's track record that will be 10+ years down the road if ever so while it's WoD in name it's really just VtM which is not all that bad as VtM is a fun game with a lot of lore wonder if they'll ever add the Sabbat or independents like the Giovanni as playable options down the road or restrict them to NPCs.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

Lost all respect for CCP with the dismantling of Incarna EVE.

No interest in their products now.

Bye bye.

• SheistaSheista Member UncommonPosts: 1,203

Originally posted by baritone3k

"Dominate" was the reporter's word. Don't hold CCP to that.

Seriously, I find it kind of sad that so many people are so quick to jump down CCP's throats when the only time it is even mentioned is in the title of the article.

• LeodiousLeodious Member UncommonPosts: 773

Just let me see some in-game footage. Even if it is rough. I want to see it! Come on, CCP. Come on!

"There are two great powers, and they've been fighting since time began. Every advance in human life, every scrap of knowledge and wisdom and decency we have has been torn by one side from the teeth of the other. Every little increase in human freedom has been fought over ferociously between those who want us to know more and be wiser and stronger, and those who want us to obey and be humble and submit."

— John Parry, to his son Will; "The Subtle Knife," by Phillip Pullman

• KappadonnaKappadonna Member UncommonPosts: 119

Good to hear from CCP that WoD efforts haven't faltered. As others have said, I'm looking forward to the first in-game footage we get. Sure, it's far off, but I'm still highly awaiting this MMO as I have a feeling the social/political aspect will be a far different type of game than what most current video game players are used to.

Can't wait for Dust either. I'll need it to help dust off my PS3 (pun intended....)

• spankybusspankybus Member UncommonPosts: 1,367

I'm not gonna lie, I am getting really excited about the possibilities of Dust 514. Lately I have been playing Battlefield 3' after a FPS dry spell of several years. I am having fun with it.

My EvE toon was born in October of 2004, and the idea that I can take my enjoyment of BF3 type gameplay and have my eve pilot benefit from it....so effing awesome!

NOW...all of this will be void if the gameplay just sucks. Adding insult to that possible injury...I suck at FPS with a game controller....prefer the mouse and keyboard or nostro.

So, very excited...but still wary.

As for WoD, I know nothing about it and I want it to stay that way....whatever it becomes...good or bad, I prefer to be completely oblivious and let the tell me what it is when it launches. I am tired of the hype/let-down cycle.

Frank 'Spankybus' Mignone
    www.spankybus.com
    -3d Artist & Compositor
    -Writer
    -Professional Amature

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Originally posted by red_cruiser

I think that BioWare's treatment of SWTOR demonstrates that the only serious way to design an MMORPG successfully around a well known IP is to first dedicate yourself and your team to copying WoW as much as possible, sacrificing your IP wherever you need to, to accomodate the holy trinity and an end consisting entirely of grinding out gear for both PvE and PvP.  I hope clan Tremere have a good healing spec available to them!

Lol, no worries there. CCP have merged with White wolf and have a large P&P crew on the game as well as the MMO people from Eve. This game is doing what M59 and UO did once long ago and starts from the beginning to translate a P&P game into a computer game.

Bioware did a very different thing.

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973

I dont have a good feeling with Dust 514, it just looked like a disaster waiting to happen. First off, PS3 only? I understand CCP wanted to tap into the console market, but restricting to only one console is just not a good move. Second FPS will always be better with keyboard + mouse.

BF-series sets the standard for online MP, I dont think Dust can meet that.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by Mari2k

Originally posted by reignjuste

World of darkness seems very interesting especially if they implement new gen ccp physics that we saw some years before.

Yeah, I wonder if we'll see anything like this in WoD.

I see the same problem as swtor, when there are more then 3 players on screen we have big fps downhills....

At least it won't be running an early build of the Hero Engine like SW:TOR is, so who knows. But even ArcheAge that runs using the CryEngine3, can have massive PvP battles (on High Graphics settings) without things grinding to a halt.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by someforumguy

Huh? So first I hear about World of Darkness being developed by a skeleton crew and now I hear that it is in fact being given the love and care it deserves, with some small parts of the game being playable.

I'll be excercising cautious optimism on this title, whilst I wait for some gameplay footage this year.

“We have a kick ass ninja-team focused on the game.”

That explains it. They hired ninjas. They are awesome. Thats a lot better then a crew of skeletons.

Yeah, who needs a dev team when CCP can put together a Ninja team... Now that I think about it, maybe I'd prefer the standard dev team working on this project. image

Originally posted by Leodious

Just let me see some in-game footage. Even if it is rough. I want to see it! Come on, CCP. Come on!

I think this is the closest you can get right now: http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/03/20/video-shows-ccps-incredible-cloth-and-hair-simulation/

And yes, it is old stuff, 2 years old to be precise.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

ArcheAge, World of Darkness & Lineage Eternal, so many AAA innovative and sandboxy games to look forward to....

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• DayzonDayzon Member UncommonPosts: 55

So.....no news about  WOD  then. He actualy said nothing of consequence about it. I was hoping for some news, but this wasn't it.

Originally posted by Dayzon

So.....no news about  WOD  then. He actualy said nothing of consequence about it. I was hoping for some news, but this wasn't it.

Well, the news were that the rumors about it just having a skeletal crew isn´t true and that they still work hard on it so it wasn´t a total bummer. :)