Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Five Awesome MMO 'Mounts'

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

What are the most awesome ways to travel in an MMO? In this week's The List, we take a look at five awesome MMO 'mounts'.

MMOs are often made up of expansive worlds, so what better way to get around than on your very own mount? If you have even a tiny bit of experience playing games in the MMO genre, there’s a pretty good chance you’ve owned your own mount. But not all mounts are alike; certainly some are more awesome than others. In this week’s The List we’ll be taking a look at five of our favorite mounts in MMO history.

Read more of Michael Bitton's The List: Five Awesome MMO 'Mounts'.

Comments

• SkillCosbySkillCosby Member Posts: 684

Good list!

I'm not a WoW fan, but that motorcycle is pretty kickass.

However, my all time favorite mount is the plain and simple light-brown horse from EverQuest 2. lol. I have no idea why.

• CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

The AOC mount looks epic but If I was to pick a mount from WOW it would be the spectral tiger without question. 

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Good list, my personal fave was all the different forms of travel in Champions Online. Running between quest areas is so much cooler when you are literally leaping tall building with a single bound. Totally badass!

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• victorbjrvictorbjr Member UncommonPosts: 212

Mechanical Horses in RIFT.

That Flying Squirrel in EQ2.

Your very first spaceship in EVE.

Ah... Love this topic! :D

A writer and gamer from the Philippines. Loves his mom dearly. :)

Can also be found on http://www.gamesandgeekery.com

• manakanamanakana Member Posts: 75

The tigers in AoC....mmhmmmm

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218

For me it's the mini spectral tiger in WoW  Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEYDQpBnRvQ LOL!  Stuff like this that Make WoW so much fun to be a part of, too many games are too serious.

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323

I don't think any game could ever compare to the variety and coolness of SWG's mounts, vehicles and star ships.

• RedKatanaRedKatana Member Posts: 211

Chocobo's are not in the list?

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Originally posted by Meltdown

Good list, my personal fave was all the different forms of travel in Champions Online. Running between quest areas is so much cooler when you are literally leaping tall building with a single bound. Totally badass!

Yes. Super Jump has to be the single coolest form of travel in any MMO I've tried. Granted it might look a bit silly to pick among powers that includes Flight (!), but still... :)

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I'm quite entertained by the Rift giant spider mount.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• MeltdownMeltdown Member UncommonPosts: 1,183

Originally posted by solarine

Originally posted by Meltdown

Yes. Super Jump has to be the single coolest form of travel in any MMO I've tried. Granted it might look a bit silly to pick among powers that includes Flight (!), but still... :)

Yea the powers were certainly not all created equal, but each had a unique "cool" factor. I think I eventually took the teleportation one cause it worked so well. 

"They essentially want to say 'Correlation proves Causation' when it's just not true." - Sovrath

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350

Galaxy Dropship... I had forgotten what a godamn kickass feeling that was, dropping a full combat squad right in the lap of the enemy. A good pilot, a few combat planes on the side... Amazing fun! Can't wait to do that again ( I was never the good pilot. I was the really good MAX unit.)

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• bobfishbobfish Member UncommonPosts: 1,679

AoC's Tiger and Wolf are pretty epic, just a horrible a grind.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

I never really liked the 2 seater rocket myself. Spectral Tigers or the pally and Warlock mounts when u had to get them the hard way........You know?.......When you had earn them rather than just get them for leveling up?.........Remember those days?  Anyway, never got a chance to say planetside but that dropship looks kick ass!

• birchallbirchall Member Posts: 5

i know anarchy online is abit old but it had some cool mounts/vechiles

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Originally posted by RedKatana

Chocobo's are not in the list?

Chocobos were awesome, especially since you raised your own from an egg. They're so cute as babies, too. Actually made my kind of sad when mine grew up.

Bonus points for the chocobo theme music. Its one of the few things I still enjoy about FF games.

• UtukuMoonUtukuMoon Member Posts: 1,066

I don't see how you can class a spaceship as a mount to be honest,you arecarried within in it not sitting on it.

But still i will go with mounts that you ride in MMOs.

For me like the more natural type of mounts,meaning animals rather than machanical type mounts.

So ill go with this first.

And then..

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

I have to admit that the most fun mount related thing I ever participated in was AoC; player cliff-kicking. Not that I am such a huge griefer but it was too much fun to pass up on the opportunity. V_V

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

It would have been the awesomest-est feature ever if #1 was:  "Your Mom"  image

I remember the Transport Skiff, and even had one.  But in typical SOE A-hole fashion(and another reason why they were so rare) , they put a monster on Mustafar that could destroy it in one hit.  That meant it was gone and you couldn't repair it.

• WearacupWearacup Member Posts: 161

This has to be a joke. No Nightmare from UO? You could dismount it and have it kill things for you! The nightmare was a mount and a weapon. I miss that game!

Trammies need to stop polluting the MMORPG landscape. They already have enough games in which to emote hugs and sell garbage by the banks.

• jinxxed0jinxxed0 Member UncommonPosts: 841

What fool made this list.

Chocobos and the Lineage 2 wyvern are the best mounts ever.

• logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68

Planetside Galaxy Transport... ah... the memories

Just My 2 Lunars

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

the best "mount" was the way Asheron's Call did it.

they gave you a skill calle RUN and it was up to you to increase it.

If you want to be a super fast runner, all you had to do is pour experience points into run.

I remember seeing players with 300 in run/jump and not only were they ultra fast, but could jump over houses, which looked awesome and felt supernatural

talk about real life super heroes hehe

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• FrostWyrmFrostWyrm Member Posts: 1,036

Honorable mention to Mabinogi mounts in general since you can actually log in and play AS your mount, fight creatures as them, level them up, and have them fight with you while you're logged into your character.

I had a griffin.