Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of Darkness: CCP’s Plans to Dominate 2012

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

CCP scored another big victory in this year's MMORPG.com Players' Choice Awards when it took Game of the Year 2011. We recently talked with CCP's CEO Hilmar Petrusson and Head of Marketing David Reid about how the team plans to challenge all comers in 2012 with more EVE, Dust 514 and World of Darkness. Read on!

David began by talking up FanFest in March. The event has become a staple for EVE fans all over the world and everyone flies into Iceland for the “Party at the Top of the World.” More importantly Dave said that DUST is hoping for a big summer launch and will be out there at shows this summer for players to get their hands on the game. DUST is on the PS3 Network and SONY will be working with CCP to get the game seen before launch. Dave also mentioned that EVE has its normal two expansions planned for the year and players have really gotten behind Crucible which took EVE back to the core values of the game (space!).

Read more of Garrett Fuller's World of Darkness: CCP’s Plans to Dominate 2012.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Huh? So first I hear about World of Darkness being developed by a skeleton crew and now I hear that it is in fact being given the love and care it deserves, with some small parts of the game being playable.

I'll be excercising cautious optimism on this title, whilst I wait for some gameplay footage this year.

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

World of darkness seems very interesting especially if they implement new gen ccp physics that we saw some years before.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Master10K

Huh? So first I hear about World of Darkness being developed by a skeleton crew

Same... last I heard this was firmly on the back burner because CCP admitted they were spread way too thin, and now it's to 'dominate'?

'Dominate'... I have a feeling they are going to regret using that word...

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Originally posted by Vesavius

Same... last I heard this was firmly on the back burner because CCP admitted they were spread way too thin, and now it's to 'dominate'?

If the "Walking in Stations" fiasco last year is any indication. It is pretty safe to say that WoD is still many years away for a possible release.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065

Originally posted by reignjuste

World of darkness seems very interesting especially if they implement new gen ccp physics that we saw some years before.

Yeah, I wonder if we'll see anything like this in WoD.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Don't hold your hopes up. Being able to get that kind of detail in an MMO is still many years away.

Just fire up EVE Online and check out your Captains quarters. That is pretty much the detail and animation you can expect right now.

That video is just Technology demo. Nothing more.

• MephsterMephster Member Posts: 1,188

Gameplay or vaporware lets go CCP! :) Itching for something new and different!

Grim Dawn, the next great action rpg!

http://www.grimdawn.com/

• mklinicmklinic Member RarePosts: 1,981

Huh? So first I hear about World of Darkness being developed by a skeleton crew and now I hear that it is in fact being given the love and care it deserves, with some small parts of the game being playable.

I'll be excercising cautious optimism on this title, whilst I wait for some gameplay footage this year.

This is what I thougth as well. After all the noise and the round of layoffs last year, I thought they stated they had reduced the WoD team significantly. Maybe I'm just remembering it wrong. Good for them if they can put out a solid game though.

edit: It must have been this I was thinking of: http://www.ccpgames.com/en/public-relations/press-releases/article/2990/ccp-focuses-on-the-eve-universe. At the same time, there are WoD job postings on the CCP Game site so that might count for something...

-mklinic

"Do something right, no one remembers.
    Do something wrong, no one forgets"
    -from No One Remembers by In Strict Confidence

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

Originally posted by JeroKane

Don't hold your hopes up. Being able to get that kind of detail in an MMO is still many years away.

Just fire up EVE Online and check out your Captains quarters. That is pretty much the detail and animation you can expect right now.

Even at the captains quarters the graphics are incredible.The character creation is incredible as well

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

But then you aren't really CCP and more than likely will never reach their levels of acheivment, so even if they fail they will have tried. Can you say as much ?

I respect any of the big development houses trying to produce and deliver games for us to play. They won't regret anything.

• mechtech256mechtech256 Member UncommonPosts: 206

CCP just laid off a ton of people (mostly from the Georgia offices that were working on WoD).

WoD is definitely on the backburner. (as it should be, working on Eve, Dust, and WoD full throttle was too much for CCP and Eve's quality suffered because of it.)

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

I feel sad for CCP, there a great bunch but looks like they are stuck whit some crazy idea's that a PS3 shooter whitout being known in the ps3 community  could be a huge succes and have the same apeal on pc and its players aswell. to me this looks like a typical manager error were someone whit a golden voice whitin the company managed to press the idea.

Could be wrong but doubt the game will do well. WoD if marketed right could have a Huge following but sofar theres little to no knowlidge in the general mmo consumer population about it. it needs some Big ass marketing.

As for Eve online, that game has reached its end asfar I view it, game mechanical expansions have put on hold for more of the same old, they made the choice to be a narrow space simulation instead of a living world (well ..galaxy), more ships, and more ships..and some  bigger guns .. and a other way to travel true space to do the same thing whit those ships just so you can build more ships to shoot other ships.  

wish them luck, just hope for them they keep developing as gamers and not as managers else they will end up on the big pile of junk developers players wont trust anymore.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by JeroKane

Even at the captains quarters the graphics are incredible.The character creation is incredible as well

Captain quarters graphics are worse than those in character creator which are worse than in Engine tech demos (one with lady in dress that would match WoD goth 'style').

Besides what is shown in captain quarters clearly shows that in current state this engine is nowhere near state to be used for locations with doznes or more people.  One person in static enviroment with nerfed graphics and performance is bad.

Now add dozens of ppl + psysics + dynamic enviroment (animations , combat , etc) = ~ 5 fps on best rigs.

----------

WoD is YEARS from release.

I say 2014 IF they release it as SMALL unfinished game that they will build upon later (like EvE was at beggining) - 2016 if they want to release polished , feature-rich ,etc game.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Originally posted by Isane

But then you aren't really CCP and more than likely will never reach their levels of acheivment, so even if they fail they will have tried. Can you say as much ?

Why do I have to 'say as much'?

I'm not the one using words like 'dominate' with regards to a billion dollar industry.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281

Don't see how CCP could dominate anything. After what 6+ years they are still working on "Flying in space" in Eve. One would think that would be the core mechanic of their game and something they should have figured out by release or least the first year..

Dispite the spin CCP puts on it WoD won't be out for some time. Drink the cool-aid if you want.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

World of Darkness... I've waited so long... and continue to wait patiently.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

I would love to see WoD come to fruition. I am skeptical we will see it this year, or even next, or, for that matter, it would not surprise me at all to see it until 2015.

That said, if well done with the qualities CCP could bring to the table, it could be cool as hell.

• RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

WoD is still the game I'm most looking forward to of all MMORPGs currently in development, so it's good to hear that it's still a going concern.

Unfortunately, if the "Walking in Stations" tech from EvE is similar to what their developing for WoD, it still likely has a very long way to go.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

WoD, love the IP, hate that CCP is developing it.

Let's see... $70 for a monocle... so that must mean if you want to clothe your character in WoD, it'd be easier to shop Rodeo Drive in Cali than pay for in-game clothing from CCP with its Macro Transaction model.

• BandenBanden Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Eladi

I feel sad for CCP, there a great bunch but looks like they are stuck whit some crazy idea's that a PS3 shooter whitout being known in the ps3 community  could be a huge succes and have the same apeal on pc and its players aswell. to me this looks like a typical manager error were someone whit a golden voice whitin the company managed to press the idea.

Could be wrong but doubt the game will do well. WoD if marketed right could have a Huge following but sofar theres little to no knowlidge in the general mmo consumer population about it. it needs some Big ass marketing.

As for Eve online, that game has reached its end asfar I view it, game mechanical expansions have put on hold for more of the same old, they made the choice to be a narrow space simulation instead of a living world (well ..galaxy), more ships, and more ships..and some  bigger guns .. and a other way to travel true space to do the same thing whit those ships just so you can build more ships to shoot other ships.  

wish them luck, just hope for them they keep developing as gamers and not as managers else they will end up on the big pile of junk developers players wont trust anymore.

You are probably right about Dust, but you couldnt be more wrong about Eve online. This is the only game backed by a big budget company that offers that unique "sandbox feel" its not just a mmorpg, its more of virtuel world and thats everything that a good mmo should be. They made a game that appeals to a narrow audience and that is both their greatest asset and their greatest ass pain. Because Eve will never get millions but their fanbase will remain one of the most intelligent and the most community active in the industry. I dont think they are done developing the game and I dont think its done growing. If they can pull off another expansion like the one that brought wormholes they will have everyone foaming at the mouth. And the future of MMOs are not in big-budget smash-hit failures like SW:TOR, its in niche games. If CCP can bring to WoD what they brought to Eve online, they will have a major success.

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I am excited at the premise of WoD, and glad that I'll have GW2 to play until it comes out. If they take a couple years or more to make a fantastic game, so be it.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

I've always thought WOD and CCP are a very good match...

That is, if CCP doesn't try to sell us our own fangs for 50 dollars each. :P

Joke (hopefully!) aside, everything I've heard about this game has given me good vibes. To me, the CCP art team is good at nailing atmosphere - EVE is the only MMO where I don't go "Argh!" looking at just the space and spaceships. So I'm hopeful they'll at least come up with a gameworld that feels right and is strong on atmosphere.

Just hoping we get to see it before 2015.

• XhieronXhieron Member UncommonPosts: 132

I will NEVER FORGET.

And you shouldn't either.  "Greed is good." - CCP

I consider myself fortunate that I know what oWOD is and have the benefit of good friends to enjoy it with. We're in the middle of a phenomenal MtA campaign right now, and I feel sorry for anyone who has to form their opinion of WoD based on something tainted by the green-stained fingers of CCP's fatcat executives.  In fact, I have to wonder how much WW has already contemplated the cost of a breach over the whole debacle; I suspect they decided it would be very expensive, financially and in terms of PR.

Do yourself a favor; spend your hard-earned money on some books and your time on your friends, and experience the World of Darkness the only way it truly can be.

Peace and safety.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Wow, a dev that admit that they messed up, apologize to the players and solves the problem...

Smed should talk to these guys...

I hope they don´t plan to launch WoDO as a F2P games as well though. That might be fine for Dust (even though I think B2P would be better) but I rather pay my monthly fee with WoDO without any item shops.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

I see the same problem as swtor, when there are more then 3 players on screen we have big fps downhills....