Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I want to create an MMORPG, how much money do I need?

• MagnetiaMagnetia SydneyMember Posts: 1,012 Uncommon

Although money does help many indie companies start out as 3 dudes who have an idea and work hard at it until it's complete. I don't personally have any experience or insider knowledge in the industry but here are a few videos which I found very insightful. Hope they help!

hope these work

There are many many more videos there which may be of use to you. They have good ideas and a few reources to draw from. I heard they were starting some sort of indie company funding thing where they help indie companies with good (and testable) ideas.

Edit - I love Extra Credits

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• wrathzillawrathzilla Joplin, MOMember Posts: 76 Uncommon

I'd say you'd have a better chance doing it the minecraft way...

As in, get a degree and work on games, make friends with your coworkers in different departments, and as a pet project start working on a game on the side. Once you have it developed enough for people to even start playing it, you can have them help develop it. Minecraft has no QA, no design department, no major artists, only coders. They rely on the playerbase in order to tell them what they want, such as, more mobs, different realms, different biomes, the nether, "can we go to where the endermen come from", abandoned mines, npcs, multiplayer.

It is feasible to make a great game (such as minecraft) out of an extremely small budget (they literally did it as a hobby for months, aka FREE).

Of course, depending on what MMO you wanted to make it'd be more difficult. For a themepark, if you were to start with maybe 1 zone from level 1-20 and at level 20 have dungeons/raids, you'd be good (though this zone would have to be very large, you might want to go to 3 zones... ;) ). If you did more than 1 zone (like 3) , you could have one zone for PvP, one zone for the first 10 levels, one for the last 10, and your 3 dungeons/raids.

The point I'm trying to get at, is if you're going to do it on a small budget, you gotta make a small game. Once you start getting revenue coming in (IF you get revenue coming in) you could start expanding on the game. If you think you're going to be able to spend $100,000 and have a fully finished, good, unbuggy, polished, game then you're too optimistic.

• JimmacJimmac TXMember Posts: 1,667 Uncommon

Originally posted by anemo

This is a silly queustion.  You should be starting with how many horse hours do I need to make this MMO, then figure out how to get those horse hours by breeding donkeys together.

• ArawniteArawnite NewcastleMember Posts: 163

OP, I would highly recommend you keep that dream alive of someday making an MMO, but start small with a simpler game for your first project.

Something like a mod of an existing FPS or RPG single player game, and focus on giving it good production values and an original concept. Sell it on Steam cheap - get some revenue and get your name established as someone who can see a project through from concept all the way through to release. If that goes well, hire some help and do something more ambitious.

• GorillaGorilla Member Posts: 2,231 Uncommon

Originally posted by NMStudio

Originally posted by Kalfer

What's a good game engine thou?
    People made a big deal out of Biowares Hero Engine and what they said it could do. So far, I am not convinced, but maybe it is impressive under the hood.

Hero Engine is VERY impressive under the hood and on the back end.  BioWare chose not to use many features, as well.  So there's really a lot more potential there.  They also offer very favorable licensing agreements, providing an amazing opportunity for indi teams.  I'm just beginning to learn the in's and outs of the software, but so far I'm very impressed.

I hear that it is....... finally. The problem is that when BW took it, it was incomplete and worse, undocumented. Anyone that has wroked anywhere near a large (actually any) software project knows that is a recipee for unmitigated disaster. 

The other thing is when BW took it, it was for the development tools. Mainly because at that stage it had never been used to actually produce anything real. Turns out those didn't scale and (as you would expect with unfinished software) had issues.

It is no wonder at all that BW are still fighting with it now (which it appears they are).

• EladiEladi ArnhemMember Posts: 1,106 Uncommon

Hero engine is a AAA engine whit extreme powerfull tools and possiblity's. its also FREEEEE , as in you can start making youre game whit their engine for free and afterwards pay a cut of the income to them. whit Hero engine you reduce startup cost by a few million and only have to put in whatever you need to pay youreself /employees. (excl design programs like Maya/max those also cost a wee bit)

its a fairly ideal engine for a startup dont know what i want to do exsactly and how much i can invest type of indy developer. and considering the big guys also use the engine it gota do someting right eh ?

• BenediktBenedikt PragueMember Posts: 1,406 Uncommon

could someone who has experiences with it tell me pls is HeroEngine supports terraforming? (wurm or xsyon style)

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAMember Posts: 14,247 Rare

Originally posted by Benedikt

could someone who has experiences with it tell me pls is HeroEngine supports terraforming? (wurm or xsyon style)

Can you add terraforming? Yes.

Is it native to it? No.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SovrathSovrath Boston Area, MAMember Posts: 20,878 Epic

He Kevin,

I think it's an "ok" idea provided that you are fine with the risk of losing the money.

What you would essentially do is start some sort of indy studio and most likely with people who are on board with your vision (or whoever is designing the game).

Keep in mind that most mmo's are made for quite a bit of money so this would definitley be an indy project.

My advice (and if I was doing this) would be to interview every person I could regarding what it took to  make such a thing.

I'm not talking about business 101 or anyting like this. But what type of people you need to get the project off the ground, which positions you essentially need, what the steps would along the way, etc.

I would then slowly build a roadmap of how this project would proceed. One good way, believe it or not, is to work backwards from "finished state" to the start. Sometimes going forward allows one to get lost in a project. So you would essentially say "ok, this is the finished project, what happens right before it goes live" then "what happens before that part happens, etc.

After you have your roadmap you can then figure out what resources you would need. If this is an indy project you might have people interested who already have computers but essentially you want to know how much this software is going to cost.

It will partly help to know the scope of your project. So a 2d game might be easier and less costly to make than a 3D game, etc. The type of art design might be simpler, more stylized over extremely realistic art designs.

Then once you have the cost  (which will be a guess) with your road map, the type of people you need, you then need to speak with someone with some actual experience to get an idea of time and things that can go wrong.

You might even be able to get an interview with some people working in the industry. Nothing ventured nothing gained right? "I would like to get into the mmo business as a producer, what do I need to know".

Essentially know every detail about the project BEFORE you invest huge amounts of money. Have everything mapped out before you start working.

You then might rethink whether or not that house is the better idea or if you want to really follow this dream. Just be prepared for loss "just in case".

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAMember Posts: 14,247 Rare

For those interested in HeroEngine-based indie MMOs, there's a blogger here that appears to be working on one:

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• worldalphaworldalpha Milton, ONMember Posts: 403
    Well on the verge of closed beta for WorldAlpha  I am sub 6 figures.  So it is possible.

Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!)

• MeriliremMerilirem Port AugustaMember Posts: 77
    If you have a decent idea, understanding and insight you could pull it off, though you may need at least a few million since cutting it close can lead to a good idea flopping due to falling just 50 grand short. No amount of money will ever guarantee success in this kind of thing of course, it just grant you options and time. But the whole lynchpin is whether you have a good idea and the abilities to work it out. Good ideas are what make good games, doing good ideas right is what makes great games. Above all people want to have fun, to play something that makes them look back on the experience with more than world of Warcraft sighs and the disappointment of clones. You can have the best coders and artists etc in the world working for free with all their hearts yet end up with some really well made vanilla garbage people only play until they find that game made from a good idea. Just saying money is a fairly small concern in the end. My estimate is the same as the rest in that respect.

If a butterfly learnt to speak, to live in human society, paid its bills, had a job, lived in a fancy house and married a human, is it human?

Now what if that same butterfly knew how to write code better than any human and had years of experience in the game industry, would that make it a game designer?

If u wouldn't let a construction worker design your house, then why let a programmer design your world?