Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why the EA hate?

Comments

• RelGnRelGn Member Posts: 494

The only thing i want is ea vanish from earth so we can start seeing quality games again.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by reignjuste
    The only thing i want is ea vanish from earth so we can start seeing quality games again.

I wouldn't mind seeing some companies really push making good games again rather than just waiting around for EA, Activision, Ubi, Rockstar, or Zenimax buy them up and then ruin their product.

I'm pretty sure that's the business plan for 90% of most indy game devs now a days.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• GarkanGarkan Member Posts: 552

Originally posted by grunty

Well for one they are now suing Textron and Bell for the right to use images of those companies aircraft without compensation before Textron and Bell can sue them for doing so. EA doesn't want to pay for the use of someone else's intellectual property but want everyone to pay them for their own intellectual property.

Front page news locally.  http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01/16/3663746/electronic-arts-sues-to-use-images.html

Thats just comedy gold, EA are the first to demand copywrite protection and liscencing fees but when the shoe is on the other foot they are all "its a free speech thing".

Nice find.

Currently playing:

EVE online (Ruining low sec one hotdrop at a time)

Gravity Rush,
    Dishonoured: The Knife of Dunwall.

(Waiting for) Metro: Last Light,
    Company of Heroes II.

• PukeBucketPukeBucket Member Posts: 867

Originally posted by Garkan

Well for one they are now suing Textron and Bell for the right to use images of those companies aircraft without compensation before Textron and Bell can sue them for doing so. EA doesn't want to pay for the use of someone else's intellectual property but want everyone to pay them for their own intellectual property.
    Front page news locally.  http://www.star-telegram.com/2012/01/16/3663746/electronic-arts-sues-to-use-images.html

Thats just comedy gold, EA are the first to demand copywrite protection and liscencing fees but when the shoe is on the other foot they are all "its a free speech thing".
    Nice find.

Gah.. It should be legal to just taze these guys.

In fact it's how we should celebrate the 4th of July.

I used to play MMOs like you, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

• Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,404

Originally posted by slickbizzle

Originally posted by spaceport

Seems like you should do a bit of research about EA.

Why would I do that? What will I find? That a major corporation that is in the business to make money is acting like a major corporation that is in the business to make money?   I hate to break it to you, but every major corporation has skeletons in their closet.

"Not the one I support!"  

Yes. Even that one.

If you did as suggested you might find we all know companies are in it for the money, but you might also find EA has a whole damn gaveyard in the closet nevermind skeletons ;)

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348

I played a couple of EA games.  They were awful.  Not merely not that great.  But, how could they conceivably think the game was ready for release bad.  And this was in the console era when you couldn't patch things later.  Madden had the excuse that the natural comparison to Tecmo Super Bowl would make a lot of games look bad.  But their basketball games had no such excuse.

Some flops are understandable, but some really aren't.  If a company tries something really innovative and it just doesn't work out, I probably won't disavow all future games from the company.  But the problem with EA is that the focus was on the graphics, and making things look superficially similar to real-life sports.  The gameplay itself got sorely neglected.  And the graphics weren't very good, either.

Here's how bad the gameplay was.  In a lot of basketball games, when players play for a while, they get tired and need to sit on the bench.  That's how it is in real life, too.  In the EA basketball game I played, if you call timeout immediately after the opening tipoff (2 seconds into the game), your starters are mostly tired and need to sit on the bench.  Already.

The two EA games I've played were so awful that I haven't tried any new games that they've come out with since then.  It's getting close to 20 years now.  EA was at the vanguard of the graphics over gameplay movement then, and while the graphics have gotten better, I don't see any reason to believe that their stance of heavy focus on graphics and not so much on gameplay has changed.  (SWTOR, incidentally, is merely the latest reason to believe that they haven't.  Even the most gushing of reviews can't find much nice to say about the combat that comprises most of the game.  But did you hear that it has zillions of voiceovers that you can skip?)

There's also EA's business model of buying well-respected game studios and then running them into the ground so that they soon stop making good games.

• spaceportspaceport Member Posts: 405

Originally posted by PukeBucket

Originally posted by Garkan

Nice find.

Gah.. It should be legal to just taze these guys.

In fact it's how we should celebrate the 4th of July.

http://i41.tinypic.com/5d44dl.png

Enjoy o.O

"Esport with tournaments is for hardcore pvp'rs that want to be competitive. Openworld PVP with ganking and griefing is for casuals that just wants their pvp mixed with pve from time to time."
    otacu

• youngkgyoungkg Member UncommonPosts: 357

EA has been haunting for years...

Started with the NFL2k series on xbox....Best football game ever made,highest reviewed football ever made, They even marked it down to 20 bucks just to compete with madden....Well it didnt just compete with madden it outsold it by the time the series reached 2k6...So what did EA do?,Put a better effort into the madden series? Nope ...they bought exclusive rights to the NFL brand officially ending the nfl 2k series and forcing gamers that wanted to play football to buy madden every year just for an updated roster because thats all they have really updated in the last 10 years or so...

But it doesnt end there,not to long after the 2k debacle they ended up taking away my favorite RTS games away from me also.....They bought westwood studios to get there foot in the RTS genre, As a result the Westwood staff left to form Petroglyph games and the Westwood brand IP's have been draged through the mud by EA for the last 10 years or so....

As if that wasnt enough....They had to take my favorite MMO (at the time)....So they bought Mythic...Pretty much stoped supporting DAOC....And gave us WaRhammer..A WOW clone that never resembled anything close to what DAOC offered in pvP or PvE...a huge fail of a game instead of giving us DAOC 2.0 which is what everyone that supported Mythic/EA wanted...

Those are my big 3 right there but the case could be made for the Bioware purchase....

Dragon Age origins = Pre EA,Dragon Age 2=Post EA....

Mass Effect 1 =Pre EA, Mass Effect 2 = Mass Effect 1 with better dialogue options....

nuff said...

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

To add to the thieving part - then I once pre-ordered a game, though when I had put in my billing info, and then clicked buy, an error occured, and I didden't get my product, well fair enough the money would most likely not have had been billed from my bank account... I thought, so I pre-ordered again, didden't get an error this time around, but then later found out that I had been charged 2 times.

I obviously valled their customer support to be told that they only recieved money once o.O

Took me a month or so before I gave up on their customer support since obviously wouldn't want to give me a refund for a game I never recieved, where as I ended up with even losing that pre-ordered copy of the game that I paid for again the second time so meh.

• DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082

Originally posted by jpnz

Originally posted by DarLorkar

Not really hate, just what is good for a business is not also always good for gamers.

They eat up alot of tanlented Dev companies that i think would of made better games in the end.

What is funny is that a purchase of a dev company has to be agreed by both parties.

I really don't get why only EA gets hate when without the dev company agreeing, the sale/purchase can not happen.

Say what you will but without EA's backing a lot of the games wouldn't have been even made.

Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect2 is a classic case where Bioware wouldn't have had the financial resources available to make them both, at least according to the financial statements from back then.

Never said otherwise:)

Throw enough cash their way and there really is no reason not to sell. Like i said it is business, but still is not good for gamers, to have fewer and fewer Dev's out there making their own games with their own ideas. EA Eats alot of good smaller companies, and turns them into cash cows, releasing alot of sequels, till they die a slow death.

Just think it was better to have a lot of small independent compaines out there fighting to make different and unique games rather than a few  huge companies that controls so much.

Just goes to show, that a lot of those small companies that say they are in it for the gamers, really are not:) Get offered enough by the big corp and they sell out real quick:)

And no it is not all EA's fault, no matter how much folks dislike them. they are in it to make the most cash they can, as a business as well.  Just hurts the gamers to have a few huge companies with the power to direct things as much as EA  and a few others do i think.  Not only making games but they have the cash to control things on the publishing end as well.

But we as gamers demand so much, both in content and graphics, we pretty much demand that a dev company has to have tons of cash to even try anymore. So it is is just a vicious circle in the end. They all need to go hat in hand to the money store to make what we will buy.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462

Originally posted by xDayx

Im a fairly experienced pc gamer but cant understand the hatred for EA. Other than nickel and diming Sims expansions(which I dont blame them for), why the hate for EA?

If you're a Pc gamer, then you should know why there's a hate towards EA for many reasons. They've taken many good Pc gaming companies under their wing and killed what made their games loved by their fans.

Go have a google on how many companies with land mark Pc game titles EA  has taken over and picked apart ,only for later titles released under the same name to be a shadow of  the games they were making before. People seemed to have forgotten about that for a time, Bioware is just one of their later companies they're now ruining the magic touch they had before.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by slickbizzle

Originally posted by spaceport

Seems like you should do a bit of research about EA.

Why would I do that? What will I find? That a major corporation that is in the business to make money is acting like a major corporation that is in the business to make money?   I hate to break it to you, but every major corporation has skeletons in their closet.

"Not the one I support!"  

Yes. Even that one.

True as far as it goes. But some go so far off the other side of the continuum, that they richly deserve special notice. EA and SOE are among those. 

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806

Originally posted by reignjuste

Well... If the general gaming population wouldn't keep buying all of the low quality shovel ware that EA and other such churn out, they'd stop or go out of business.  Thats one of the problems with gaming having gone pretty much main stream. As it reflects more and more a real cross section of the general population, the quality and other such get left out in the race to the bottom, to pander to the lowest common denominator.  Which in the case of the general population is pretty damn low.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Originally posted by IAmMMO

Im a fairly experienced pc gamer but cant understand the hatred for EA. Other than nickel and diming Sims expansions(which I dont blame them for), why the hate for EA?

If you're a Pc gamer, then you should know why there's a hate towards EA for many reasons. They've taken many good Pc gaming companies under their wing and killed what made their games loved by their fans.

Go have a google on how many companies with land mark Pc game titles EA  has taken over and picked apart ,only for later titles released under the same name to be a shadow of  the games they were making before. People seemed to have forgotten about that for a time, Bioware is just one of their later companies they're now ruining the magic touch they had before.

Yeah I agree regarding Bioware, they produced some great games but after EA took it over, everything they produced just feels lacklustre. DAO 2 was dissapointment and so is SW:TOR, we will see how Mass Effect 3 turns out.

• OberanMiMOberanMiM Member Posts: 236

Originally posted by youngkg

EA has been haunting for years...

Started with the NFL2k series on xbox....Best football game ever made,highest reviewed football ever made, They even marked it down to 20 bucks just to compete with madden....Well it didnt just compete with madden it outsold it by the time the series reached 2k6...So what did EA do?,Put a better effort into the madden series? Nope ...they bought exclusive rights to the NFL brand officially ending the nfl 2k series and forcing gamers that wanted to play football to buy madden every year just for an updated roster because thats all they have really updated in the last 10 years or so...

I'm sorry. No recent football game could even hope to compare to "Tecmo Super Bowl" for the NES. I seem to recall ESPN rated it one of the best sports games of all time (trying to find the link)

But I agree it is a shame that EA got that exclusivity contract with the NFL :(

• ClassicstarClassicstar Member UncommonPosts: 2,697

They have ruined alot franchises/games and game companys(bioware super casuals company now and only money counts now) and now with ORIGIN they even become worse.

No EA for me same go for Ubisoft and some others but for me there worse.

Steam is compare to all other DRM lesser evil one, i still dont like it but its at least usesable compare to others so far.

My first experience with Steam is skyrim and so far its ok all tho im not so fond of comercials try sell you games and how bethesda now becouse of steam have controll over what modders release, example that graphics mod that was release soon after launch and bethesda fast patch make it and made it useless, im no fan of that.

Hope to build full AMD system RYZEN/VEGA/AM4!!!

MB:Asus V De Luxe z77
    CPU:Intell Icore7 3770k
    GPU: AMD Fury X(waiting for BIG VEGA 10 or 11 HBM2?(bit unclear now))
    MEMORY:Corsair PLAT.DDR3 1866MHZ 16GB
    PSU:Corsair AX1200i

• WarmakerWarmaker Member UncommonPosts: 2,246

Ubisoft... that's funny, I haven't bought an Ubisoft game since like 2000 or something.  They take DRM to Ludicrous Speed levels.  And way to go in taking the "Rainbow Six" FPS franchise into the dirt.

"I have only two out of my company and 20 out of some other company. We need support, but it is almost suicide to try to get it here as we are swept by machine gun fire and a constant barrage is on us. I have no one on my left and only a few on my right. I will hold." (First Lieutenant Clifton B. Cates, US Marine Corps, Soissons, 19 July 1918)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Bullfrog

• SolarstrikerSolarstriker Member UncommonPosts: 35

They killed Earth & Beyond...

They killed Westwood...

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Originally posted by Solarstriker

They killed Westwood...

They killed Mythic...

They killed Bioware... (I'm not talking ToR here I'm talking DA2)

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

They ruined many game series, best example is Command and Conquer 4.

• Recon48Recon48 Member UncommonPosts: 218

In the mid 90's EA bought and gutted a lot of small but talented studios.  Crystal Dynamics comes to mind as one that I thought really had a lot of promise. In 2004 or 2005, they also killed off Papyrus by buying a 5 year exclusivity for NASCAR licensed games. Papyrus' niche was making a top notch racing sim for 8+ years that served up a great game & tools to both the racing and modding communities. Online teams, leagues, servers and mods were abundant during that time. Papyrus didn't survive the exclusivity, and when EA released its first licensed game it was a bugged mess and unplayable do to AI issues, and had nothing to offer the racing sim fans or the modding community.

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464

They shut down servers faster than they release games.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by parrotpholk

Originally posted by Ikeda

Originally posted by Solarstriker

They killed Westwood...

They killed Mythic...

They killed Bioware... (I'm not talking ToR here I'm talking DA2)

The do kill a lot of good studios but I do not  hate them.  I actually dislike activision much more than EA if being honest.  

Both EA and Activison-Blizzard are in same 'bad' league. They are equally bad imo.

• illorionillorion Member Posts: 467

And they also have a nasty habit of breaking your game if you buy it used and forcing you to pay extra money to unlock gameplay that is locked only if you buy the used version. Not to mention that every series they lay their grubby little hands on turns to shit

"Don't mistake a fun game for a good game... Checkers is fun to play but its not exactly the highest point of gaming design... and definatly not worth $60 plus $15 a month"