Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FAILED is still in...

psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Tonight's fight count was a 28 vs. 54 in which multiple invisible players, invisible hits, and hits by 'someone' happened.

Server is not fixed.

:(

I had previously given Mortal props for fixing FAILED which I now take back.

Comments

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

Who where involved in the fight and who was on 54, who was on 28?

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by psykobilly

Tonight's fight count was a 28 vs. 54 in which multiple invisible players, invisible hits, and hits by 'someone' happened.

Server is not fixed.

^^same

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150

Like I already said once in my half assed explanation in the other thread, the problem here doesn lie with the server alone but with all three: the server, client and game code.

The reason why "FAILED" or whatever random generic name keeps attacking people when the numbers go past a hardcap of 20vs20 or some similar numbers is because this game is built on redundant code built with an engine that in its unmodified format doesnt handle large scale MMO elements.

While you guys (MO players) are claiming that population numbers went up due to that massively article, if it is true then it just goes to show that Mr CEO is running this game on bareboned low tier server infrastructure that is not capable of handling transmission of a data intensive game like MO (with unoptimised code monkey jargon). Wouldnt be surprised if he pays a company with sack full of change each month for their most basic of the basic hosting facilities...or hell I seriously wouldnt be surprised if they run it out of their basement either.

Once the overhead traffic reaches a critical value, then the transfer of information screws up, very badly. The server would be sending packets back to the clients so a player might be able to move around and attack and shit around but his position wouldnt get updated on other players' clients so he turns invisible or might morph/phase/rubberband from one position to another instantaneously.

The chumps at starvault must have simply added something similar to this line of ghetto code to sweep the problems under the rug instead of optimising the code and debugging the problem causing areas (lack of OOP shoots them in the foot yet another time eh?):

while(PLAYER == 'unresolved')

{

println("FAILED attacks you for"+netdamage+"damage.");

//we ar bestest programmars in alllll of Sweeden wit genius brians

}

Good luck with MO. You guys really need it.

• deathshrouddeathshroud Member Posts: 1,366

Originally posted by RainBringer

Like I already said once in my half assed explanation in the other thread, the problem here doesn lie with the server alone but with all three: the server, client and game code.

The reason why "FAILED" or whatever random generic name keeps attacking people when the numbers go past a hardcap of 20vs20 or some similar numbers is because this game is built on redundant code built with an engine that in its unmodified format doesnt handle large scale MMO elements.

While you guys (MO players) are claiming that population numbers went up due to that massively article, if it is true then it just goes to show that Mr CEO is running this game on bareboned low tier server infrastructure that is not capable of handling transmission of a data intensive game like MO (with unoptimised code monkey jargon). Wouldnt be surprised if he pays a company with sack full of change each month for their most basic of the basic hosting facilities...or hell I seriously wouldnt be surprised if they run it out of their basement either.

Once the overhead traffic reaches a critical value, then the transfer of information screws up, very badly. The server would be sending packets back to the clients so a player might be able to move around and attack and shit around but his position wouldnt get updated on other players' clients so he turns invisible or might morph/phase/rubberband from one position to another instantaneously.

The chumps at starvault must have simply added something similar to this line of ghetto code to sweep the problems under the rug instead of optimising the code and debugging the problem causing areas (lack of OOP shoots them in the foot yet another time eh?):

while(PLAYER == 'unresolved')

{

println("FAILED attacks you for"+netdamage+"damage.");

//we ar bestest programmars in alllll of Sweeden wit genius brians

}

Good luck with MO. You guys really need it.

most beleive it has nothing to do with the server and is a client based issue as in the client build of MO. But no doubt that the client needs some serious work its way to demanding/poorly optimised and issues like this need resolving if they ever want their game to be taken remotely seriously.

there are 2 types of mmo, imitators and innovaters.

• argiropargirop Member UncommonPosts: 300

Originally posted by deathshroud

most beleive it has nothing to do with the server and is a client based issue as in the client build of MO. But no doubt that the client needs some serious work its way to demanding/poorly optimised and issues like this need resolving if they ever want their game to be taken remotely seriously.

I wanted to see if you would be still cool in the case that this was the 2nd time you lost your keep due to fail. But thats not the case since both times that apeared served you well and actualy saved you, your ego and some of the recent trash's recruitments you made e-peen from great trouble.

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Originally posted by argirop

Who where involved in the fight and who was on 54, who was on 28?

AQ and Koto were the 28, and the SuperZerg were the 54.  This was only a ghost count before the first big fight happened... there were varying numbers...  ours stayed close to the same, but the superzerg had up to 70 at points in the fight.

SuperZerg = vile merc es defi bh sinr sin odin rus ini prae mor quad envy

Maybe a few more... basically 10+ guilds that by themselves are all sub par.

The devs watch the server and the server load is fine, I have a beast computer now and I fight at high settings in these big battles and don't crash.

There is a functional issue though.  It is the people who crash and relog in the middle of the big fights that end up invisible, I think.  I think there is some problem in the code with people who log in to a big fight zone, like it is not updating the other clients properly that the new person logged in.

They did improve the perdormance for 20v20...  but with 80 people in the fight it's still rough.

• PhelcherPhelcher Member CommonPosts: 1,053
    Lol^

So u try and rebuttal his comments of how inadaquate their code is... & u give him complete bs.. then suggest people are going invisible because the node can't handle re-logins...?

Mortal Online's hardware is outdated & the Unreal Engine isn't even updated fully. This game is incapable of going anywhere without a major update in code.

"No they are not charity. That is where the whales come in. (I play for free. Whales pays.) Devs get a business. That is how it works."

-Nariusseldon

• RainBringerRainBringer Member Posts: 150

Let me try explaining again. Long rant ahead with lots of technical crap, be warned dont complain later.

When I say there is a problem with the MO server, I do not mean server load or fatal crashes. I mean that the time taken for the amount of information to be sent to the server and routed back to the client is so borked that all kinds of shit happen in MO, like people disappearing, hits not getting registered, moonwalking, phasing/morphing, getting attacked by bogus counts of "FAILED", etc. And I am not even talking bout what happens at "node lines", ie map changes in game without loads, or anything more complex than how the game data is handled.

All of this is happening because, if memory serves, the hitboxes in MO are clientside and so are a lot of things that factor how the game can be played out. BECAUSE a lot of shit under the hood runs from a client system, this information needs to be sent over to the server and then processed so that the server can understand where the player is doing what on the global game map. Then the information needs to be sent back to all clients in the game so that their clients can pick up the players existence in the game and interact with it. 

While the data is being sent to and fro, it is being done in a piss poor job because the way the game is coded it doesnt allow for brisk transmission of information. While these huge chunks of data are being sent, getting processed and then sent back, the player is obviously not going to stand idle for every microsecond in this "twitch based" FPS game so there is a disparity between the time the player data has been processed by the server after it is received to the time the player is in game the moment he receives it.

If all of that technical jargon dint go over your head, you will see that BECAUSE mortal online got such pathetic source code, no amount of "band-aid" lines of ghetto code can fix this game once the number of players in a close vicinity crosses a number more than what the unmodified UE3 engine used in this game can handle. Crossing which, shit hits the fan and the time taken for date to hop from client to server to client seriously screws players over in a twitch based game. This is why people who log out, then log in during a 'mass scale' fight of anything around a 100 players become invisible among other things.

What might be a band-aid ghetto code you ask? Simple, its that line of code where the game shows all damage from a source it cannot instantaneously process to pasted as "FAILED attacks you for xxx damage to health". It doesnt really "fix" the actual problem but just pulls the covers over the wound, hence the term band-aid ghetto code.

And lastly but most importantly, any of you MO players ever wondered why this steaming pile of crap called "PREDICTION SYSTEM" was added to a game where the creators cant even code in Artificial Intelligence leave alone a system that can predict human behaviour? It is just a fancy way to say "our code is so fucked up we dont know how to fix it, so here we give you a combat mechanic that will play alongside your inherent lag caused by client-server data transfer that we cannot fix, Ever". This prediction system requires a whole new thread so Im not going to explain this BS in this post and make this wall of text rise any higher than what it already is.

In conclusion, an increase of players (the few times that might happen ever in  the history of MO) causes more than enough data scramble that once a hardcap is reached the server fails to adequately process all the information and sends back botched data to all players present in one "node" map. Also the reason why unless you got a beast computer, you`ll be running this game in slideshow mode during 'mass scale' events due to the stress the game puts on your PC. And this has nothing to do with 'server stress', its just that the code is so horrible that the data cannot be interpreted in realtime unless SV can afford supercomputers to run the servers for this POS game on. The game is built up on turn of the century pissant code. This is why MO will never be playable even for the one thing it really is, a PvP deathmatch.

• EnergyoEnergyo Member UncommonPosts: 69

Let me try explaining again. Long rant ahead with lots of technical crap, be warned dont complain later.

When I say there is a problem with the MO server, I do not mean server load or fatal crashes. I mean that the time taken for the amount of information to be sent to the server and routed back to the client is so borked that all kinds of shit happen in MO, like people disappearing, hits not getting registered, moonwalking, phasing/morphing, getting attacked by bogus counts of "FAILED", etc. And I am not even talking bout what happens at "node lines", ie map changes in game without loads, or anything more complex than how the game data is handled.

All of this is happening because, if memory serves, the hitboxes in MO are clientside and so are a lot of things that factor how the game can be played out. BECAUSE a lot of shit under the hood runs from a client system, this information needs to be sent over to the server and then processed so that the server can understand where the player is doing what on the global game map. Then the information needs to be sent back to all clients in the game so that their clients can pick up the players existence in the game and interact with it. 

While the data is being sent to and fro, it is being done in a piss poor job because the way the game is coded it doesnt allow for brisk transmission of information. While these huge chunks of data are being sent, getting processed and then sent back, the player is obviously not going to stand idle for every microsecond in this "twitch based" FPS game so there is a disparity between the time the player data has been processed by the server after it is received to the time the player is in game the moment he receives it.

If all of that technical jargon dint go over your head, you will see that BECAUSE mortal online got such pathetic source code, no amount of "band-aid" lines of ghetto code can fix this game once the number of players in a close vicinity crosses a number more than what the unmodified UE3 engine used in this game can handle. Crossing which, shit hits the fan and the time taken for date to hop from client to server to client seriously screws players over in a twitch based game. This is why people who log out, then log in during a 'mass scale' fight of anything around a 100 players become invisible among other things.

What might be a band-aid ghetto code you ask? Simple, its that line of code where the game shows all damage from a source it cannot instantaneously process to pasted as "FAILED attacks you for xxx damage to health". It doesnt really "fix" the actual problem but just pulls the covers over the wound, hence the term band-aid ghetto code.

And lastly but most importantly, any of you MO players ever wondered why this steaming pile of crap called "PREDICTION SYSTEM" was added to a game where the creators cant even code in Artificial Intelligence leave alone a system that can predict human behaviour? It is just a fancy way to say "our code is so fucked up we dont know how to fix it, so here we give you a combat mechanic that will play alongside your inherent lag caused by client-server data transfer that we cannot fix, Ever". This prediction system requires a whole new thread so Im not going to explain this BS in this post and make this wall of text rise any higher than what it already is.

In conclusion, an increase of players (the few times that might happen ever in  the history of MO) causes more than enough data scramble that once a hardcap is reached the server fails to adequately process all the information and sends back botched data to all players present in one "node" map. Also the reason why unless you got a beast computer, you`ll be running this game in slideshow mode during 'mass scale' events due to the stress the game puts on your PC. And this has nothing to do with 'server stress', its just that the code is so horrible that the data cannot be interpreted in realtime unless SV can afford supercomputers to run the servers for this POS game on. The game is built up on turn of the century pissant code. This is why MO will never be playable even for the one thing it really is, a PvP deathmatch.

Great post. Yes I think it should be pretty clear to anyone who has a basic knowledge of programming fundamentals that the code for MO is pretty poor. Makes me laugh when I think about when a player would go into a cave within minutes the game would be hogging so much memory that it was sluggish and unplayable. If I remember right the only way to fix that on the users end was to disable sound. This memory leak should have been fixed rather quickly, it's a simple fix. (That's just an example of SVs problematic code.)

• wmada2kwmada2k Member UncommonPosts: 193

Server is not fixed.

Or not..

I have been playing/fighting with alot players around, and I have not got the problem at all the latest time. So IMO its fixed (for me and my mates)..

Originally posted by wmada2k

Server is not fixed.

Or not..

I have been playing/fighting with alot players around, and I have not got the problem at all the latest time. So IMO its fixed (for me and my mates)..

Sorry spud... multiple fraps were posted in the Mortal forum proving beyond a doubt that the issue exists.

If you had been in the 100 person fights, you would know.  Small scale fights (20v20) function pretty well though if you have a good computer.

• drakes821drakes821 Member UncommonPosts: 535

Originally posted by wmada2k

Server is not fixed.

Or not..

I support the game and enjoy it...but I can confirm 100% that in the huge fight by Koto keep FAILED was happening.