Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Post To Bioware

Comments

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by Hrica

Great Job Garry!!

Great post and glad to see some one nearer my age on here lol.

Ever play Moongate? the MUDD back in the day..bout 20 years ago

moongate.. that brings me back.. gemstone III... zmud.. the shriek of my 2400 baud modem connection to one of my friends BBS systems to play some MUDs.. then my mom picking up the phone knocking me off while i was in the middle of getting that satan sword I been waiting for...ahh the memories..

funny though my view of the game doesn't mirror his at all..

• GibboniciGibbonici Member UncommonPosts: 472

Originally posted by noncley

Originally posted by Gibbonici

[snip]Caveat emptor -  there's a reason why that phrase is in Latin...[snip]

...What?

It means "buyer beware."  It's the oldest rule in the book for the consumer.

• KalmarthKalmarth Member Posts: 443

Originally posted by Littlebomb

Originally posted by garry

Forums and posts - thousands of them so I thought I would toss my op in the mix.

Bioware - I am a 66 year old retired game designer (PnP). I looked forward to the new SWTOR, played a couple Betas, bought the DDE and am now playing. I want to congratulate you on a job well done. Are there some problems and bugs? Sure - just like EVERY OTHER MMO EVER LAUNCHED! I still like and have fun because the positive aspects of the game outweigh the negatives - by far - for me. Others who have different opinions state them, often, repeatedly, loudly and range from plain disappointment (normal) to outraged quitting obscenity. Puzzled as to why anyone would go thru so much time and effort, again repeatedly, to bash a simple video game, but have decided that it is simply some form of human nature.

Just as 'NEWS' organizations give priority to horrifying and 'bad' news, so do review organizations do the same. What works for the reputable news works for the new guys on the block as well. I decided to post instead of playing right now cause I have to go walk the dogs first. Then I will resume my game being a very lucky retired person who can play as much as I like.

And I like playing SWTOR. I have 3 characters, Jedi Knight, Smuggler and a new Trooper. Have some Empire characters I am looking forward to playing. I know the bug fixes and updates are coming, not really worried. So once again, well done Bioware and I am enjoying the game.

The reason I bash the game is because I spent 120$ plus tax on the game and the game is bad.

When I buy bad part's off of Newegg.com I also review the product and leave my thoughts and opinions.

When I buy electronic's and I like the product I leave a good review on Newegg and also my thoughts.

Simply put as a customer who bought two copies of the game (one of which was due to bad customer service forcing me to purchase a second copy if I wanted to play after Dec 20th) like myself has as much right to inform other consumers that this is a bad product.

I'm sure new mmo player's might like SWeator but anyone who's really played mmo's to any high level will be dissapointed. The game's ability lag alone in pvp was enought o get me to quit. (playing League of Legends last night on a champ that has a .75sec ability to dodge any skill shot........lol SWTOR can't even get abilities to fire off in 1 second much less dodge a enemies skill.)

If people choose to listen or not to reviews from gamer's then that is their choice.

The game is only bad in your view, millions or players like it and it has got rave reviews from a ton of magazines, so unless they are all deluded.

It sound more to me that you paid $120 for a game, and now your mad because it is not exaclty what you wanted it to be, and now your are venting your anger, how about you give it some time, WoW was not perfect in the first month, or 2nd or 3rd, neither was EQ or EQ2 or many many other games.

So breath.

• Moaky07Moaky07 Member Posts: 2,096

Forums and posts - thousands of them so I thought I would toss my op in the mix.

Bioware - I am a 66 year old retired game designer (PnP). I looked forward to the new SWTOR, played a couple Betas, bought the DDE and am now playing. I want to congratulate you on a job well done. Are there some problems and bugs? Sure - just like EVERY OTHER MMO EVER LAUNCHED! I still like and have fun because the positive aspects of the game outweigh the negatives - by far - for me. Others who have different opinions state them, often, repeatedly, loudly and range from plain disappointment (normal) to outraged quitting obscenity. Puzzled as to why anyone would go thru so much time and effort, again repeatedly, to bash a simple video game, but have decided that it is simply some form of human nature.

Just as 'NEWS' organizations give priority to horrifying and 'bad' news, so do review organizations do the same. What works for the reputable news works for the new guys on the block as well. I decided to post instead of playing right now cause I have to go walk the dogs first. Then I will resume my game being a very lucky retired person who can play as much as I like.

And I like playing SWTOR. I have 3 characters, Jedi Knight, Smuggler and a new Trooper. Have some Empire characters I am looking forward to playing. I know the bug fixes and updates are coming, not really worried. So once again, well done Bioware and I am enjoying the game.

The reason I bash the game is because I spent 120$ plus tax on the game and the game is bad.

When I buy bad part's off of Newegg.com I also review the product and leave my thoughts and opinions.

When I buy electronic's and I like the product I leave a good review on Newegg and also my thoughts.

Simply put as a customer who bought two copies of the game (one of which was due to bad customer service forcing me to purchase a second copy if I wanted to play after Dec 20th) like myself has as much right to inform other consumers that this is a bad product.

I'm sure new mmo player's might like SWeator but anyone who's really played mmo's to any high level will be dissapointed. The game's ability lag alone in pvp was enought o get me to quit. (playing League of Legends last night on a champ that has a .75sec ability to dodge any skill shot........lol SWTOR can't even get abilities to fire off in 1 second much less dodge a enemies skill.)

If people choose to listen or not to reviews from gamer's then that is their choice.

I dare say you dont spam the NewEGG forum with hate.

Pity your posting habits, in the TOR section, arent the same.

Asking Devs to make AAA sandbox titles is like trying to get fine dining on a McDonalds dollar menu budget.

• bartoni33bartoni33 Member RarePosts: 2,044

Originally posted by Durray

It is not human nature to put the game down and a lot of negative comments are not to 'bash' the game. But to warn others away. Some are yes. Most are not.

I am part of this forum to communicate with fellow hobbyists. Part of this is the exchanging of opinions and information. Blind hatred of TOR is not communication, just blind hatred. See my above yellow post.

Mine being: If you want a good PvE game buy it if you want a good PvP game take your money elsewhere. If you want ingenuity, graphics, gameplay, polish, fewer bugs wait for their patches in 3-6 months and check it out again. I 100% agree with first sentence. Should be said much more. Second sentence is meh. Other that hi-rez was a bug shit game is pretty polished.

I know that 90% of my Guild mates would not enjoy this game (PvP Guild) and have advised them to stay clear, for now. On this forums I simply advise fellow PvP'ers caution there is exceptionally little. Again I agree. This game is not meant for the PvP croud. Should NEVER have had PvP to begin with.

Great post! OP was good too. And not a tear was shed!

Bartoni's Law definition: As an Internet discussion grows volatile, the probability of a comparison involving Donald Trump approaches 1.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718

...What?

Thank you. I do actually know what it means. I was asking why the poster thought this Latin phrase was in Latin sicne the reason seems important to him.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Puzzled as to why anyone would go thru so much time and effort, again repeatedly, to bash a simple video game..

Is this really a puzzle to people?

For the same reason you went to the time and effort to praise a video game...

i.e. to let others who haven't bought it get an impression of the game to help them decide to buy or not.. and also to let the developers know they're doing things wrong / right in the hope they act upon that information.

In some way the 'hater' may be more justified to voice their opinions..  I mean, you went to the effort to stop playing the game you really like to praise it..  whereas the hater may have nothing they currently enjoy and their time is less wasted.

What is a puzzle is why people who enjoy a game would rather the people who don't, just shut up, instead of having a conversation where the negative points can be addressed and answered.  From the outside, when fans of a game just want negativity to be censored, it really does seem like you dont have good counter arguments to the negativity.  If you really want to convince fence sitters to buy the game, you might want to give that point a thought.

...and if haters are just spouting off mindless rhetoric that isn't worth arguing against..  dont you think that will be obvious to people?

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the game.  Still waiting for mine to come. :)

Originally posted by Tawn47

Puzzled as to why anyone would go thru so much time and effort, again repeatedly, to bash a simple video game..

Is this really a puzzle to people?

For the same reason you went to the time and effort to praise a video game...

i.e. to let others who haven't bought it get an impression of the game to help them decide to buy or not.. and also to let the developers know they're doing things wrong / right in the hope they act upon that information.

In some way the 'hater' may be more justified to voice their opinions..  I mean, you went to the effort to stop playing the game you really like to praise it..  whereas the hater may have nothing they currently enjoy and their time is less wasted.

What is a puzzle is why people who enjoy a game would rather the people who don't, just shut up, instead of having a conversation where the negative points can be addressed and answered.  From the outside, when fans of a game just want negativity to be censored, it really does seem like you dont have good counter arguments to the negativity.  If you really want to convince fence sitters to buy the game, you might want to give that point a thought.

...and if haters are just spouting off mindless rhetoric that isn't worth arguing against..  dont you think that will be obvious to people?

Anyway, glad you are enjoying the game.  Still waiting for mine to come. :)

if I really love a game I don't sit on forums all day and say how great the game is I go play it instead. If I really felt the game was so great I wouldn't care what people wrote about it because in my mind the game is great. It makes more sense to me for people who dislike a game to go and post feelings on the game because obviously they are displeased with the game and are not playing it. Sometimes someone who is unhappy with something can learn something from someone else and make them look at things in a differn't light and get passed what they thought they didn't like... again like the poster above I think it makes more sense to see the people who constantly post their issues with the game than ones who troll the boards doing nothing but defending it nonstop day after day.

• Larry212122354Larry212122354 Member Posts: 8

I am really enjoying SWTOR atm, that being said the game is not perfect, but I think it has alot of potential as long as the future content released is more than just flashpoints and ops.

• ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597

So you spent $120 dollars on the game before making sure it was your kind of game?[EDIT: Actually, I read your post history - you were seriously questioning the game before it was even released... Why did you buy it???]  You said it yourself: "If people choose to listen or not to reviews from gamer's then that is their choice."  - and you chose to spend $120 dollars without listening to what people were saying.  The issues SWTOR has are exactly the same as when it was in beta.  I have no compassion for people who spent a fortune for the product that was delivered in the exact state that beta testers said it was in.  

If you bought a bad part from Newegg.com, you'd review it and return it and you'd move on.  Normal people don't have time or desire to create and comment on hundereds of threads on the downfall of computers because of a bad video card by xyz corporation.  Most normal folks would just buy a different one.

Imagine I bought a hamburger that tasted bad from McDonalds.  I'd just go to Burger King next time.  Problem solved.  I certainly wouldn't feel the need to go on a personal anti-McDonalds campaign considering there are lots of folks that like McDonalds and that's thier choice.  I just choose not to go there. (probably a bad analogy since I don't eat fast food LOL)

• AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834

...What?

Thank you. I do actually know what it means. I was asking why the poster thought this Latin phrase was in Latin sicne the reason seems important to him.

Well only one person can really answer that.   For some reason the idea that latin is a dead language is what comes to mind... that's about the only thing with Latin that stands out to me.

Even if that is what it is in reference to... I'm a little foggy on the mindset at the moment.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by Theodwulf

"Puzzled as to why anyone would go thru so much time and effort, again repeatedly, to bash a simple video game, but have decided that it is simply some form of human nature. "

Because people feel like they were duped, IF BW started giving money back to disatisfied customers you would see the seething lake of hatred dry up. THAT is what it comes down to, the "Industry" pulled another fast one on the gaming community another WAR on us. You should understand that, you saw the same thing going on as we all did. Remember EA Louse and the hatchet job EA /BW pulled on the guy? Turns out he was right , in his three paragraphs he wrote on SWTOR he described the game to a "T". Why the hatchet job?

It's guys like you I don't understand. You made PnPer games , you should know better. You should be able to understand the difference between a quality game and thrown together crap. IF the game is freakin' great why are you taking the time away from it? Why aren't you on the official forums sharing game knowledge? NO instead you are here trying to defend a bad game. Opinion? Nope fact . On every technical metric one would use TOR scores low, that's a fact, that is how one dtermines if a game is "Good" or " Bad". YOU can like a bad game BUT that doesn't make it good.

No amount of manufactured "Fan" support is going to change that this game is bad. IF the game was so great there would far fewer people singing it's praises outside the game and it's official forums.

When I'm dissatisfied with a computer game, I quit playing it, then I uninstall it, then I maybe (not always) go to forums and state as to why I dont play it, what was wrong in my opinion, then I move on. People spamming from days to weeks and weeks to months how they hate computer game X actually does seem more like some sort of human nature/personality/flaw rather than anything else.

Only way I can see it your way is if someone was waiting this game to be their second birth into the virtual life that they'd crave to replace their real lives with. Other than that, I cant think of why would anyone spend so much time raging over one computer game among hundreds of thousands of them, just give feedback and move on, no?

I have never said this game (TOR) is something mindblowing or amazing, but I have repeatedly said it's the first mmorpg in ages that I have fun with. When I stop having fun with it, I will unsub, and just maybe post on swtor site or heck even here what I think the game would need in order to keep me subbed if there is such a thing. Then I move on, perhaps discuss about later content updates etc.

Oh and, no it's not "another WAR" on us, I quit playing that game like most of everyone I know ever played it because of the technical issues it had, above anything else, some that exist still today like skidooing monsters, sprite-like gfx, constant bugged (98% of the time) animations etc. TOR has none of that, no gamebreaking technical issues, so no, in that sense it has nothing at all in common with WAR, WAR was unplayable to begin with, retaining amazing amount of it's technical problems year after year.

• DracillDracill Member UncommonPosts: 158
    On a side note why are critics bringing the 200 million development cost in all their post? Is it confirmed now or it's another imaginary number like the 300 millions of 6 month ago or the 500 of 2 week ago?

And what relation have the development cost with me? When I go to a movie I care for the quality and If I enjoy it... I don't care about the actor salary

But that just me
  • GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,789

I agree with you 100%. Perhaps it is the fact that wisdom comes with age. Many of those that play games today have not real concept of what it was like over the last 30 years of video game development. All they see is what is there now and therefore have no perspective. I have yet to see the perfect game. What I look for is the game that is FUN FOR ME. SWTOR is one such game. Perfect...no. FUN...yes.

So, to mirror you comments, good job Biowware. Keep the great content coming as well as the fixes.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

Originally posted by Gruug

I agree with you 100%. Perhaps it is the fact that wisdom comes with age. Many of those that play games today have not real concept of what it was like over the last 30 years of video game development. All they see is what is there now and therefore have no perspective. I have yet to see the perfect game. What I look for is the game that is FUN FOR ME. SWTOR is one such game. Perfect...no. FUN...yes.

So, to mirror you comments, good job Biowware. Keep the great content coming as well as the fixes.

"To support mediocrity, theme park copycats, un-originality & spoon-fed easy content

has nothing to do with Wisdom"

Gandhi - 1825

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member Posts: 4,990

Good to see. Glad you're enjoying the game OP.

Not sure why seeing you made an open letter yourself to BW expressing your thoughts about the game that you're somehow puzzled why others would want to express their feeling too. But hey, whatevah...

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by vladww

"To support mediocrity, theme park copycats, un-originality & spoon-fed easy content

Gandhi - 1825

+1  I still can't see how people with long gaming histories can support mediocrity like this...

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976
    Originally posted by sanosukex

Gandhi - 1825

+1  I still can't see how people with long gaming histories can support mediocrity like this...

Isn't it obvious? For the same reason as why people play MMORPG's that others dislike, the most important reason for MMO gaming at all: because to them it is fun and they're having a great time.

In the same line, I don't see why some people want MMO gaming to make some ideological thing, "don't buy mediocre products!" and all that jazz.

Seems to me a far simpler motivation that's behind all that: "I don't like that game or am unable to get my dose of pleasure and fun from it, therefore I want other people to not buy and enjoy those games either, in the hopes that games that I'm able to get my own fun in will get more support". Something like that :-)

Not everyone thinks like that of course. But skip all the ideology and posturing, and MMO gaming is simply about 1 plain question: is someone having fun in a game or not?

If so, then good, the game works to give him what he was looking for, namely entertainment for his invested time, if not, then someone needs to look further for a game that does.

Originally posted by smh_alot

Gandhi - 1825

Isn't it obvious? For the same reason as why people play MMORPG's that others dislike, the most important reason for MMO gaming at all: because to them it is fun and they're having a great time.

In the same line, I don't see why some people want MMO gaming to make some ideological thing, "don't buy mediocre products!" and all that jazz.

Seems to me a far simpler motivation that's behind all that: "I don't like that game or am unable to get my dose of pleasure and fun from it, therefore I want other people to not buy and enjoy those games either, in the hopes that games that I'm able to get my own fun in will get more support". Something like that :-)

Not everyone thinks like that of course. But skip all the ideology and posturing, and MMO gaming is simply about 1 plain question: is someone having fun in a game or not?

If so, then good, the game works to give him what he was looking for, namely entertainment for his invested time, if not, then someone needs to look further for a game that does.

let me give you an example of why i feel somewhat cheated by this game. Some things about me

1. I love MMO's of all kinds especially themeparks

2. I love love love Star Wars and have since I was a little boy

3. I love biowares games such as KOTOR, Mass Effect, Dragon age

now how in the hell could this game be such a dissapointment to me if it was so great. I should be a #1 fan praising this game and all it stands for seeing what I like above. This game is the single most dissapointing game I have ever been looking forward to in my long gaming history and to me that says a lot.. but whatever if people think this game is the greatest thing ever then more power to them.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

Originally posted by smh_alot

Gandhi - 1825

let me give you an example of why i feel somewhat cheated by this game. Some things about me

now how in the hell could this game be such a dissapointment to me if it was so great. I should be a #1 fan praising this game and all it stands for seeing what I like above. This game is the single most dissapointing game I have ever been looking forward to in my long gaming history and to me that says a lot.. but whatever if people think this game is the greatest thing ever then more power to them.

So this is a single most dissapointing game of all times, when you are a themepark fan (tor - check), Star Wars (tor - check), tor also has very similar gameplay and story telling like KOTOR and Dragon age. Does that make you a liar or a troll?

And, no it's not the greatest game of all times, not even close, still having helluva lot of fun with it.

Originally posted by Kuinn

So this is a single most dissapointing game of all times, when you are a themepark fan (tor - check), Star Wars (tor - check), tor also has very similar gameplay and story telling like KOTOR and Dragon age. Does that make you a liar or a troll?

And, no it's not the greatest game of all times, not even close, still having helluva lot of fun with it.

putting words in my mouth I said to ME its the most dissapointing game "I was looking forward to"

but to me after getting level 20+ on several characters the game was not fun at all and just another boring clone made to sell copies of spoon fed garbage to the masses trying to capitalize on a huge IP.. call me what you want but from my history of games and what I like I should love this game but don't  because to me it's just not a good game.

also your checklist is how I feel they made this game without actually putting any depth or real thought into making it.

• smh_alotsmh_alot Member Posts: 976

Again, you're failing to see my point: if YOU are not able to enjoy the game, doesn't mean that others, who also like themeparks and SW and BW games, aren't or shouldn't. Some will, some won't, but if it's fun to them then that game fulfills its purpose, namely providing entertainment to them for invested time. I can see why you're disappointed, but that doesn't mean that others who share the same outlook will or should as well.

If I like icecream or pie, doesn't mean that I necessarily like ALL types and flavors of icecream or pie. I might dislike blackberry icecream or pie. However, when I notice that I start to dislike more and more types of icecream that used to taste wonderful in the past, then it might be something else, and I'd have to consider that maybe my tastes have changed and that icecream isn't the big favorite to me anymore that it used to be. However, if I still like all icecream flavors except with blackberry in it, then it's just the same preferences in taste that I always had.

Meaning, if you notice that you're less and less able to enjoy themeparks, then maybe something else is going on, but if you hugely enjoyed all themeparks except TOR, then you should be golden with the next themepark you'll give a try.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773

putting words in my mouth I said to ME its the most dissapointing game "I was looking forward to"

but to me after getting level 20+ on several characters the game was not fun at all and just another boring clone made to sell copies of spoon fed garbage to the masses trying to capitalize on a huge IP.. call me what you want but from my history of games and what I like I should love this game but don't  because to me it's just not a good game.

also your checklist is how I feel they made this game without actually putting any depth or real thought into making it.

sano your not allowed to be dissappointed by this game, it's not normal.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• Havok2allHavok2all Member UncommonPosts: 190

You know, the great thing I came away with from this post was that I have the potential to still be enjoying video games at 66! That's an awesome relief to know! :P 

Originally posted by RizelStar

sano your not allowed to be dissappointed by this game, it's not normal.

heh wel lI know someone will fire back and say well I must not be allowed to LIKE the game.. either way I was just more or less trying to explain why I hang around here and post my feelings for the game. I have very strong feelings for the IP and MMOs in general as they are a BIG hobby for me. I tried my hardest to get enjoyment out of this game. I quit mid january. Then picked my sub back up and gave it another week with multiple differn't characters to try and find some enjoyment.. to me I just can't get passed the horribly generic classes and talent trees not to mention the same damn combat we have played for the last decade(taking out auto attack does not change the fact combat is the exact same we have seen since EQ1).. it just feels so wrong swinging a lightsaber at a little critter over and over and it not dying in one slice. Everything just feels wrong and to me its a disgrace to the IP and wish they just went with a mass effect MMO then I'd have no issues just saying hell with this one and move on..  always hoping for that miracle patch I'm sure will never come..