Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

More Than 1.7 Million Active Subscribers 2/1/12 [EA Conf Call Discussion Thread]

Comments

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295

Originally posted by Teala

There is no way in hell they retained 85% of their playbase.  I'd bet mylife on that.   In fact I'd bet right - today as of now, this game has more like 1.2 million subs and has lost upwards of 750k since release.   That means they have seen 45% loss in players since the games release. 

Tag this...and in 2 months we'll come back to these words  I typed, because I am about to make another prediction.  I predict within 2 more months this game is going to be nearing 500k subs.

You know I could care less about how the game does or if it'd outright fail in the next week and shutdown servers. My life isn't tied to a videa game and I can't help but be sad for anyone who would tied their life to a video game.

Of course, it's easy to toss out words and assume the 'correct' stance when you completely disregard factual numbers but hold up conjecture and assumptions as fact.  I liken it to watching a movie and yelling out 'he did it, she did it, he did it, she did it' at every character except the victim and then claiming to be correct and gloating that you had it all figured out at the end of the movie.

Surely EA expressed the best possible figures, emphasis on the positive, downplay on the negative.  Nevertheless, those numbers are in fact factual in all stated stipulations and caveats expressed by them.  Yet some users, which coincidentally are viewed as haters by a bunch of users, would rather hang on every word of conflicting analysts and underpopulated sample sizes or undefined values.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by I_Return

you seem to be looking at this the wrong way. No one has said anything about a comapny going out of business. What I am looking at is the declining stock for the past three months, with a quartly report cutting the debit by 1/3  , from positive growth "outside" of SWTOR.

People are trying to relay that because the stock went up 6% in one day it was a direct reflection of SWTOR success, which is simply not true. The fact is BF3 , and other games had a great sales.

The factt hat SWTOR is not the WoW killer is scaring investors off , and we will see a decline in the stock over the next 3 months to 6 months until something better is released and projected to ship over 5-10million boxes.

It's not worth the fight nothing you say will make them believe this game isn't declining no matter what you say.. you can just continue to watch http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/trends and  http://www.torstatus.net/shards/us/stats ( Feb 3rd just added) and see the servers decline.. i suggest just coming back on here in a few months and play the I told you so game...

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

Originally posted by zymurgeist

The fact that SWTOR isn't the WoW killer didn't scare anyone off. The day traders just went somewhere else to ride the next  hype bubble. 6% in one day means about as much as the drop after launch. Nothing. The AoC thing is just another example of people making predictions of catasrophe based on little or no information. And being inevitably wrong. The stock is fine, profits are fine, the game is fine. There are no large gains or losses on the horizon.

The funny thing is: EA stock dropped and SOME PEOPLE ( you know who you are ) was jumping up and down about how SWTOR is causing the stock to drop. Now the stock goes up, those SAME PEOPLE ( again, you know who you are ) now turns around and say it is not SWTOR causing it to go up....really  ?? Flip-flop much ?

To Zymurgeist

I am quoting you just because I want to continue this context. I don't think you were one those the guys I am mentioned above.

• dubyahitedubyahite Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I have to post here because the post count is at 666 and it's freaking me out!

I don't know (or care) much about stocks and all that.

Can someone explain to a layman like myself how the EA stock is affected directly by SWTOR, and how everyone is so sure that the only thing causing it to drop is this game?

Maybe I'm just dumb, but it would seem that EA is a huge company with lots of titles and that the situation is more complex than you make it seem.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

The Secret World - Dragons

Planetside 2 - Terran Republic

Tera - Dragonfall Server

http://www.shadowshand.com

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017

They can't lie to their investors like it or not. Hell they can't even really mislead their investors. It's a very grey area and it doesn't lean in a companies favor.  U.S. politicians love publicly roasting company ceo's and exe's that do such. They can't say we retained most of our subs to investors, then come to find out they only retained a little over half.  

If the company keeps holding those subs after a few months who knows. The people who say "they lied" are just  in denial.

• sanosukexsanosukex Member Posts: 1,836

Originally posted by dubyahite

I have to post here because the post count is at 666 and it's freaking me out!

I don't know (or care) much about stocks and all that.

Can someone explain to a layman like myself how the EA stock is affected directly by SWTOR, and how everyone is so sure that the only thing causing it to drop is this game?

Maybe I'm just dumb, but it would seem that EA is a huge company with lots of titles and that the situation is more complex than you make it seem.

stocks are irrelevant.. box sales irrelevant... what peopel are claiming as the number of "active" players irrelevant. What IS relevant? how many people are actually playing the damn game when you are. How many people are around in your guild or your friends or just around period to group with to do warzones with. Whole point of playing an MMO is to play with lots of other people. For me my server was declining I was seeing less and less people week after week. The starter zones were ghost towns. It was getting more and more difficult to find groups for flashpoints. As imperial i was doing nothing but huttball over and over and over... To me all this says a million times more than any of those numbers you can throw at me.. if your server is one of the still thriving ones than good for you go any play but not all of us are so lucky to be in one of those handfull of servers that still maintain heavy at peak hours...

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DredphyreDredphyre Member Posts: 601

Originally posted by zakiyawow

Originally posted by zymurgeist

The fact that SWTOR isn't the WoW killer didn't scare anyone off. The day traders just went somewhere else to ride the next  hype bubble. 6% in one day means about as much as the drop after launch. Nothing. The AoC thing is just another example of people making predictions of catasrophe based on little or no information. And being inevitably wrong. The stock is fine, profits are fine, the game is fine. There are no large gains or losses on the horizon.

The funny thing is: EA stock dropped and SOME PEOPLE ( you know who you are ) was jumping up and down about how SWTOR is causing the stock to drop. Now the stock goes up, those SAME PEOPLE ( again, you know who you are ) now turns around and say it is not SWTOR causing it to go up....really  ?? Flip-flop much ?

To Zymurgeist

I am quoting you just because I want to continue this context. I don't think you were one those the guys I am mentioned above.

Yep...that was my point as well...the tortured logic these haters employ to justify their negative fantasy is amusing.

• wahchilewahchile Member Posts: 4

There is no way in hell they retained 85% of their playbase.  I'd bet mylife on that.   In fact I'd bet right - today as of now, this game has more like 1.2 million subs and has lost upwards of 750k since release.   That means they have seen 45% loss in players since the games release. 

Tag this...and in 2 months we'll come back to these words  I typed, because I am about to make another prediction.  I predict within 2 more months this game is going to be nearing 500k subs.

see ya in 2 months.

• rammur65rammur65 Member UncommonPosts: 107

Funny how people seem to think they KNOW a game is failing because THEY dont like it lol funny either way a million subs is more than enough to keep a game floating  WoW had just set a standerd when they got lucky and a bit of info WoW didnt get its 10+ mill over night took them a few years to even touch the double digit mills.

• KruulKruul Member UncommonPosts: 482

I figured it was going to have a high retention rate. The guild I am in pushes around 40 members during primetime and all but a few are still subbed and having a blast. This game has brought us back together because after NGE many of us were playing different games.

• sirchivesirchive Member UncommonPosts: 72

Every single person I know who plays SWTOR (about 8 total) subbed for the first subscription month but plans to unsubscribe before the second is billed. 

This is purely anecdotal of course. But I think a large number of players are in the same place. We were willing to pay for one additional month past the included month in order to get to endgame or to see what was added. But now we've seen and we are not impressed. 

There is no possible way to judge the success of a highly publicized MMO in the first 60 days. Retention rate after 60 days will be the first real sign of success or failure. 

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

I personally see this game as a single player feature, so once I'm done with the storylines that I'm interested in, I'll unsub too.

I might resub in 1-2 years if theres enough new content though

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

-1 here....Well will be 2, since the wife plays too...

She still messes around with an alt, but I can't get myself to log in anymore...I swear all I do is hit bugs in the end game, broken quests...I wasn't thrilled before then, but it was more solid....Seems they really dropped the ball on Ilum.

Just not my thing, but I got my money worth...Just not worth paying any longer for.

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708

I forsee this game having very high churn rate and low retention rate. Too much of a single player.

• troublmakertroublmaker Member Posts: 337

Originally posted by sirchive

Every single person I know who plays SWTOR (about 8 total) subbed for the first subscription month but plans to unsubscribe before the second is billed. 

This is purely anecdotal of course. But I think a large number of players are in the same place. We were willing to pay for one additional month past the included month in order to get to endgame or to see what was added. But now we've seen and we are not impressed. 

There is no possible way to judge the success of a highly publicized MMO in the first 60 days. Retention rate after 60 days will be the first real sign of success or failure. 

Everyone was saying one month because that's when the free sub is up.  Now people are saying two months so that people get a chance to see end game.  I suspect that evnetually people will say "its one year the drop off is coming!"

• DistasteDistaste Member UncommonPosts: 665

Originally posted by troublmaker

Originally posted by sirchive

Everyone was saying one month because that's when the free sub is up.  Now people are saying two months so that people get a chance to see end game.  I suspect that evnetually people will say "its one year the drop off is coming!"

Not entirely correct. While there are some that might have said that after 1 month the game would lose all their subs they are put into the same boat as those that thought there were already 6 million in pre-orders. Those who actually posted reasonings were fairly sound.

The first month drop is only those that bought the game and experienced something totally different than what they were sold on OR those that rushed to endgame and ran out of content. They are not the majority so unless the game is blatantly unfinished/buggy you won't see a massive exodus in a single month. Everyone else are consuming the leveling content and since there aren't major issues with that they will resub.

The 2nd month is when people are hitting endgame and finding the gigantic flaw with Bioware's game design, the story runs out. So a good chunk will quit the game there.

The 3rd month is the "hope" month as people who want to love the game are still holding on to hope that the march patch will make the game awesome. Unfortunetly there is no such thing as a miracle patch and the content being introduced will hold them for  maybe 2 weeks and more will quit.

The 6th month is when the 3 month and 6 month subs that people bought on hype alone. So while they might have stopped playing months ago their subs are finally removed from EA's numbers.

Do you understand the logic of the 3-6 month estimate now? It isn't just people "Maybe next month they will go under!".

• GorillaGorilla Member UncommonPosts: 2,235

Too late to participate in this (massive) thread it is worth reminding (Im sure it has been pointed out many times) that this is the number of people that had 'subscribed' at the end of last year so, 10 days into release. Essentially it was people that have bought the game created an account and logged in. Tbh it seems a little on the low side though healthy enough. Really it only tells you about intial sales and next to nothing about real subs.

Originally posted by Gorilla

Too late to participate in this (massive) thread it is worth reminding (Im sure it has been pointed out many times) that this is the number of people that had 'subscribed' at the end of last year so, 10 days into release. Essentially it was people that have bought the game created an account and logged in. Tbh it seems a little on the low side though healthy enough. Really it only tells you about intial sales and next to nothing about real subs.

Incorrect. Perhaps you should have read some of the thread.  I know it's huge but it has been confirmed multiple times that these numbers are current for the Earnings Call. 

They are current as of 2/1/2012.  

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

Originally posted by dubyahite

Incorrect. Perhaps you should have read some of the thread.  I know it's huge but it has been confirmed multiple times that these numbers are current for the Earnings Call. 

They are current as of 2/1/2012.  

If I had come to it a dozen pages in maybe I would I am not about to read 70 pages of what undoubtedly is largely BS. I was going to say the press release is clear in what it says, however after re-reading carefully it it is not, there are a couple of ambiguities. I could not see anywhere is said that the period they are talking about was as of 2/1/2012, maybe I missed that.  I guess we will have to wait for the end of fiscal year figures for a completely clear picture. 

Edit: They do seem to be doing as well as can be expected, not particularly better or worse. The market seems to have taken it reasonably well.

This press release isn't the main source for the numbers.

This is based on information from the earnings call.

It is very clear in the call that the numbers are current.

It's been posted in thi thread 300 freakin times.

The numbers are current.

Shadow's Hand Guild
    Open recruitment for

Tera - Dragonfall Server

OK I'll take your word for it I don't mind reading a half dozen pages of financiall report but I'm it but not going to sit through a web cast of the 'briefing'/earnings call. Actually 'brief' is a contradiction in terms!!!image

Did they say anything interesting about Amalur that you recall? 

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

OK I'll take your word for it I don't mind reading a half dozen pages of financiall report but I'm it but not going to sit through a web cast of the 'briefing'/earnings call. Actually 'brief' is a contradiction in terms!!!image

Did they say anything interesting about Amalur that you recall? 

Amalur will be released on Tuesday. You should see the love/hate review in no time seeing now everyone in the world is a self-proclaimed game reviewer with no bias.

• FatherAnolevFatherAnolev Member UncommonPosts: 265

Based upon what factual evidence?

That's the problem... you can either believe their statements, or you don't.  Based upon what you've just written, clearly you don't (since they explicitly state 1.7 million, not 1.2).  What you've posted is pure conjecture on your part, unless of course you work there.  Otherwise the only "official" number is the one they've disclosed in their earnings call (which by the way is something audited by an independent 3rd party, as required by the SEC).

Even if we "tag this", in 2 months when they come out with a new announcement, something tells me you'll find a way to explain yourself around that one as well.  Your sense of denial is... embarassing.

This discussion has been closed.