Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When should Funcom release TSW?

2»

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

Originally posted by DannyGlover

Originally posted by BilboDoggins

The problem with the April-July timeframe is that this will almost certainly put TSW into direct compeition with GW2 (suspected June release) and possibly even Diablo 3. Both of these games will likely suck any kind of momentum out of TSW and if the game isnt ready and Funcom releases it TSW is basically DOA.

I think The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 are complimentary MMOs. They seem very different from each other in terms of setting, combat, graphics, and story. I don't think one would really affect the other in terms of demographic overlap.

There are people that have made up their minds to play one or the other, and there are people that have made up their minds to play neither or both. They could release on the same day and that wont change.

The potential customers that are on the fence will make their decisions based on impulse which is usually graphics and setting which GW2 and TSW are worlds apart.

edit: added the quote I was replying to.

I disagree they are both themeparks that are not wow clones, which puts them in a group of two

They also have simiilar half way between traditional mmo and more action orientated game combat

They also have 3 faction persistent PVP

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381

"When should Funcom release TSW?"

How about when it's ready and not when budget demands that it's ready.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• AndraxxAndraxx Member UncommonPosts: 256

I picked August-September. It's getting too close to April with little news for that date to realistically hold. I'm sure every single employee at Funcom is painfully aware of their reputation for early releases and would rather not three-peat on that dubious honor.

If they turn around and say "hey, we need to hold off on that April release date for a few more months to get everything right", I can't imagine any serious backlash from the playerbase, who would much rather have a playabe fun game from the get-go.

Also ... Ragnar Tornquist. I somehow doubt he'll let TSW out into the world before he thinks it's golden.

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

Originally posted by ShakyMo

The problem with the April-July timeframe is that this will almost certainly put TSW into direct compeition with GW2 (suspected June release) and possibly even Diablo 3. Both of these games will likely suck any kind of momentum out of TSW and if the game isnt ready and Funcom releases it TSW is basically DOA.

I think The Secret World and Guild Wars 2 are complimentary MMOs. They seem very different from each other in terms of setting, combat, graphics, and story. I don't think one would really affect the other in terms of demographic overlap.
    There are people that have made up their minds to play one or the other, and there are people that have made up their minds to play neither or both. They could release on the same day and that wont change.
    The potential customers that are on the fence will make their decisions based on impulse which is usually graphics and setting which GW2 and TSW are worlds apart.

I disagree they are both themeparks that are not wow clones, which puts them in a group of two
    They also have simiilar half way between traditional mmo and more action orientated game combat

True but you cant ignore the fact that GW2 is a high fantasy action mmo with esport pvp and levels while TSW is a modern day deck based mmo with no levels. For those of us that love the genre, we will be getting both. For those that will pick just one, the demographics seem to be quite varied.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

True but you cant ignore the fact that GW2 is a high fantasy action mmo with esport pvp and levels while TSW is a modern day deck based mmo with no levels. For those of us that love the genre, we will be getting both. For those that will pick just one, the demographics seem to be quite varied.

I don't think the fantasy thing is that importantant.

I can see a GW2 fan liking the concept of TSW more than they like say the concept of RIFT, because the "not wow" thing is a stronger pull to GW2 than the fantasy setting.

both have action like combat.

TSW has a ranked arena, but wont be full on e"sport" a good thing imo.  GW2 calles the WvWvW "casual PVP", TSW calls the warzones "endgame PVP"

• DannyGloverDannyGlover Member Posts: 1,277

I don't think the fantasy thing is that importantant.
    I can see a GW2 fan liking the concept of TSW more than they like say the concept of RIFT, because the "not wow" thing is a stronger pull to GW2 than the fantasy setting.

I'm interested in why you think that. I know a few people that are attracted to TSW because of the non fantasy setting primarily. I tend to agree. If you make an MMO that is not high fantasy, you are in the minority. People are interested in your game just because its not the norm in that regard.

I sit on a man's back, choking him and making him carry me, and yet assure myself and others that I am very sorry for him and wish to ease his lot by all possible means - except by getting off his back.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

April.  Most TOR players will be done with that game and ready for something new, so it's good time from a marketing perspective.

From a development perspective, later is always better.. but well know that releases are driven by marketing and not development :)

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• Sora2810Sora2810 Member Posts: 567

How about april.

Like they said.

Played - M59, EQOA, EQ, EQ2, PS, SWG[Favorite], DAoC, UO, RS, MXO, CoH/CoV, TR, FFXI, FoM, WoW, Eve, Rift, SWTOR, TSW.
    Playing - PS2, AoW, GW2

• AdamTMAdamTM Member Posts: 1,376

When its done.

I'd rather they delay it and put everything in that needs to be there and do a proper bug-hunt.

• DaSpackDaSpack Member UncommonPosts: 589

April. EA just started a few days back advertising for TSW with launch date April under coming-soon section.

http://www.ea.com/coming-soon

I guess exact date comes later.

The Ultimate Breakdown

• jdnewelljdnewell Member UncommonPosts: 2,237

When its ready.

I wish Funcom would adopt this like ArenaNet & others have. The EA overlords probably have other ideas.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

1. april 2012 like they allready anounced ?

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988

When it's ready

• Unknown23Unknown23 Member Posts: 47

when it's done.

or how about april 16, my birthday.

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

Originally posted by Mari2k

1. april 2012 like they allready anounced ?

Imho releasing it on 1st of April any game has huge potential to backfire :p

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

I would go for september-october.

FunCom released AoC way too early and same thing with AO, let´s get it right the third time. 

I remember when we begged them to wait a few months with AoC but they were just saying that a magical patch would fix all the problems. I think AoC would have had a lot more players if they just would have waited a while, they can´t afford to do the same misstake this time.

Third time is after all a charm...

While its true GW2 and TSW are 2 pretty distinct and different MMO's they are still both MMO's and releasing around the same time as GW2 is a much bigger problem for TSW than if GW2 released around them. If this was something like Planetside 2 and TSW I think you would have a stronger point because those games are almost different genre's really.

GW2 may not have sub fees like TSW but both will cost the initial box fee which is another problem. (in this case it would be best for TSW to release early though or a good 3+ months after so people are more willing to spend that initial cost). Release them to close together and MANY gamers will have to choose which game to purchase and I can assure you TSW will come out on the losing end of that decision for the majority of people.

You're assuming that GW2 is a better game than TSW regardless of all the differences in design and approach. That is a grey area since the "better" game is 100% pure personal preference. For all we know, GW2 could be the ones that suffer if they release too close to TSW's release. I know thats blasphemy around here, but its true :)

It doesn't have to be better - its B2P, it only has to be like 75% as good as TSW to beat TSW if they release at same time.  However I still think GW2 will be Q3 or Q4 release, what with it starting closed beta around October / November

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

While its true GW2 and TSW are 2 pretty distinct and different MMO's they are still both MMO's and releasing around the same time as GW2 is a much bigger problem for TSW than if GW2 released around them. If this was something like Planetside 2 and TSW I think you would have a stronger point because those games are almost different genre's really.

GW2 may not have sub fees like TSW but both will cost the initial box fee which is another problem. (in this case it would be best for TSW to release early though or a good 3+ months after so people are more willing to spend that initial cost). Release them to close together and MANY gamers will have to choose which game to purchase and I can assure you TSW will come out on the losing end of that decision for the majority of people.

You're assuming that GW2 is a better game than TSW regardless of all the differences in design and approach. That is a grey area since the "better" game is 100% pure personal preference. For all we know, GW2 could be the ones that suffer if they release too close to TSW's release. I know thats blasphemy around here, but its true :)

It doesn't have to be better - its B2P, it only has to be like 75% as good as TSW to beat TSW if they release at same time.  However I still think GW2 will be Q3 or Q4 release, what with it starting closed beta around October / November

He's got a point. I'm pretty confident GW2 is going to be great, but even if it isn't it won't matter due to the nature of the payment model. People aren't as wary of dropping the box price of something if they aren't paying monthly for it. For instance, as much as I enjoyed the GW1 games, they're not even in my top 10 of favorite MMOs, let alone favorite games. But I still bought the game, and every expansion, because I knew once I owned it I could play it whenever I like without having to sub. That alone was enough to get me to play, and then I met people, made friends, joined a guild, etc., and ended up staying and playing through content I didn't even like just because I'd become part of a community (I'm refering to the PvP, which I hate and still took part in).

HOWEVER! There's a second part to this; because GW1 was B2P, i also had no problems playing it ~along side a sub fee game~. So in the end, the success of other p2p games really had nothing to do with the success of Guild Wars, at least for me. Whether I was subbing to them or not was directly a result of the game itself, and whether I thought it was worthwhile, regardless of how I felt about GW1.

I really don't think developers or players should worry about whether or not GW2 will impact their MMO of choice, or be better. If the game is good enough, the people will come, and I honestly don't see GW2 having an impact on that. At least, not in the long run.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Originally posted by jdlamson75

A Halloweeny release would be fitting, given the "dark" feel to TSW.  I'd prefer it to come out a bit sooner, but October gets my vote.

If they can hold off financially, they can use that time to ensure content is ready and use Halloween to their advantage.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• jdlamson75jdlamson75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

Originally posted by DeaconX

Originally posted by jdlamson75

A Halloweeny release would be fitting, given the "dark" feel to TSW.  I'd prefer it to come out a bit sooner, but October gets my vote.

If they can hold off financially, they can use that time to ensure content is ready and use Halloween to their advantage.

Agreed on that.  Again, I'd like to see it come out sooner, but I'm with the "Release it when it's 100% ready" crowd here also.  Too many games have been released with missing pieces, and gamers don't like missing pieces.  Unless, of course, those missing pieces a dwarf females.  Cause really, who likes looking at dwarf females?

• DeltaFrc670DeltaFrc670 Member Posts: 71

They should release it when it plays well and has a tremendous amount of depth to it.

• gamesrfungamesrfun Member Posts: 127

They cannot wait until September or October to release this.

It will be a summer release, as they do not have the money to do otherwise.

• albaficassalbaficass Member Posts: 101

. They seem very different from each other in terms of setting, COMBAT, GRAPHICS, and story. I don't think one would really affect the other in terms of demographic overlap.

Can you explain how this "combat" of TSW and GW2 are sooooooooooo different and "awesome"?

both games are still tab lock target.........nothing new and btw i played both betas and im still in the TSW beta.

IF u want true combat and graphics in the mmo  TERA  have those...now thats an mmo wich u can clearly talk about fresh air COMBAT in the mmo genre....TSW and gw2 brings NOTHING new in that area

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Originally posted by albaficass

. They seem very different from each other in terms of setting, COMBAT, GRAPHICS, and story. I don't think one would really affect the other in terms of demographic overlap.

Can you explain how this "combat" of TSW and GW2 are sooooooooooo different and "awesome"?

both games are still tab lock target.........nothing new and btw i played both betas and im still in the TSW beta.

IF u want true combat and graphics in the mmo  TERA  have those...now thats an mmo wich u can clearly talk about fresh air COMBAT in the mmo genre....TSW and gw2 brings NOTHING new in that area

Tera is so linear for me. I don't mind tab to lock a target...I don't see any problem with that. If I was to fight someone in real life I would pick him (I don't come with a tab) and hit him. Tera just reminded me of Aion for some reason. To each their own! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development